Jump to content
vsky

Dining near Penn Station and Madison Square Garden

Recommended Posts

The answer to this question will be useful - I've found myself wandering around that area, with an hour to kill before my train leaves, looking for a decent place - and there isn't much (and the city blocks are l-o-n-g there).

(Off-topic, but does anyone remember the name of the kaiten sushi place that used to be in Penn Station in the mid-1980s?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2009 at 3:51 PM, vsky said:

BTW Do New Yorkers refer to Madison Square Garden as MSG?

It's just "the Garden." As in, "I am going to see Springsteen at the Garden tonight."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay thanks for the help don! 😋  I'm currently sitting in Niles in the Affinia hotel [Sold and rebranded as The Stewart Hotel in Dec, 2016] and it's fine...but heaven forbid I miss out on something else! I'll keep y'all posted...as I get more...well you know.

Thanks to Scooter for the suggestion of Casellula, but there is a closer wine bar the concierge recommended, Ayza. Wine flight...carmen reserva merlot, shooting star syrah and heller estate cab...menu opens at 5, looks like some great cheeses and technically this is a wine and "jacques torres" wine bar". It's tiny inside, with patio...tons of staff here already, maybe it gets busy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in Penn Station last week and had some very good sandwiches from a deli next to the Acela waiting area. This is NOT the one with the pre-made stuff. It is the one where everyone in line seems to know exactly what they want and what is available, even though it is unclear to the non-New Yorker such as myself. So in addition to a good sandwich, the guy behind the counter was also very polite to a clueless patron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had some surprisingly good food at Tír Na Nóg. If you can get past the fact that it is an Irish pub, I think it would do the trick. It is a bit more upscale than the typical Irish pub. The bar menu is OK, but you will find more interesting fare on the lunch and dinner menus so you may want to ask for those even if you are sitting at the bar. If there is an event at the Garden when you are there, it will get crowded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been to the Garden, and will be there for a concert over Columbus Day weekend. So, 9 years later, what has changed? I noticed on the MSG website that there are some very interesting vendors inside, such as Hill Country, Drew Nieporent, Jean George, etc. We just want a good bite, not exorbitant cost, and alcohol is not a consideration. (Unless there is a good cidery nearby!)  I do realize the vendors inside will be a rip-off, however convenient, and possibly tasty. I found a possible place for some good fish tacos at Tacombi nearby, and am considering that. Also trying to keep in mind that I'm saving up my big meal for Le Bernadin on Monday. We'll be going out with friends Friday night with a place yet to be determined, so smaller meals are preferred :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Triple Crown Irish Pub on 7th between 28th and 29th is fine.  Haven’t tried many dishes but it is hard to screw up a shepherd’s pie and they don’t.  Lot of beer choices, lot of tv’s following sports:   Good accessible bathrooms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not cheap, but very reasonable, is the Pub menu at Keen's (in my opinion, the best steakhouse in NYC).  Only 3 blocks from Penn Station, its a great bar/pub to hang out at & it (I think) still has free pickled eggs if you ask.  Perfect Olde New York.  http://www.keens.com/OurMenus/Pub/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to hit the John Dory Oyster Bar at the Ace Hotel before catching the train back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 2:12 PM, DaveO said:

The Triple Crown Irish Pub on 7th between 28th and 29th is fine.  Haven’t tried many dishes but it is hard to screw up a shepherd’s pie and they don’t.  Lot of beer choices, lot of tv’s following sports:   Good accessible bathrooms

I’ve continued to travel there, mostly by bus, a bit by train.  The other day I had scheduled the last bus back, not knowing how long my chores would take, couldn’t reschedule and killed several hours here again on a cold and damp day.

This is adequate, pleasant, with adequate or slightly above scale Irish and bar food.  I  expect to be in the area more often but this could be my last visit, only in that it is adequate.  

The shepherd’s pie (again) had an unusual abundance of mashed potatoes.  The interior was of good quality.   Combined with 2 Irish coffee drinks and a whiskey it kept me occupied while some poor defender and goalie miscommunicated on a pass back.  That ball passed the goalie and scored a goal against.  The guy next to me at the bar with a heavy Irish accent was in despair.  

With all that booze inside of me I didn’t know who was playing whom.

On to better alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I travel every month or so to NY for work by train and here are my suggestions near Penn Station:

1. Pennsy Food Hall http://www.thepennsy.nyc/ located in the ground floor of MSG. It has lots of variety and most are a slight cut above the stuff in Penn Station. Good vegetarian fare at the Cinnamon Snail, bar with drinks, and sandwiches from Pat LaFrieda, etc. 

2. NY Pizza Suprema a few blocks south is good for a big selection of NY style by the slice pizza. If you are in a time crunch though, the Pizza stand behind the train waiting area in the Penn Station concourse isn't half bad but smaller number of topping options.

3. Zaro's black and white cookies in the Penn Station train concourse are perfect. The other baked goods are ok (I thought the chocolate rugelach was only so so.) 

4. There is also a Shake Shack in the main Penn Station long hall between the subways and LIRR/Amtrack trains. 

Unfortunately, except all of the above and many other mediocre food options close by, I haven't found anything really good that is actually walking distance from Penn Station (meaning not requiring a special trip).

Also, I can't vouch for it because I've never been but there was supposed to be a really good doughnut shop within a block or so. Google it and it may come up. Something about originally being a car wash or similar business. Not sure if it is still open.  Cinnamon Snail in the Pennsy Food Hall also has doughnuts. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KeithA said:

Unfortunately, except all of the above and many other mediocre food options close by, I haven't found anything really good that is actually walking distance from Penn Station (meaning not requiring a special trip).

Also, I can't vouch for it because I've never been but there was supposed to be a really good doughnut shop within a block or so. Google it and it may come up. Something about originally being a car wash or similar business. Not sure if it is still open.  Cinnamon Snail in the Pennsy Food Hall also has doughnuts. 

I think that outpost of Underwest Donuts closed a while ago - it was on the left before you entered Penn Station from 7th Ave. The original shop may still be open, up near the Intrepid. The donuts at the booth were just ok (not a connoisseur) - I'm more of a Doughnut Plant person.

Some or none of these may fit your definition of walking distance: Keens (oh, SteveR already mentioned), Wolfgang's (NYTimes location), Ushiwakamaru (solid mid-tier sushi, Harbs bakery around the corner), Nomad or Nomad Bar; up by Bryant Park, Gabriel Kreuther (plus its chocolate/pastry shop next door), Sushi Ginza Onodera (lunch is almost reasonably priced).

Have not been, but recommended by friends: Noda (Ginza Iwa alum), Odo (former Kajitsu chef, now with meat!)

If it's very late/early there's always Koreatown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To think I used to live at 31st and 7th. Ugh, talk about a restaurant wasteland - on my way to Penn Station in the 1980s, there was a little Kaiten Sushi place inside the Station; short of that, your best option was on 31st St. - namely, the awful Godfather's Pizza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, guanabana said:

I think that outpost of Underwest Donuts closed a while ago - it was on the left before you entered Penn Station from 7th Ave. The original shop may still be open, up near the Intrepid. The donuts at the booth were just ok (not a connoisseur) - I'm more of a Doughnut Plant person.

Some or none of these may fit your definition of walking distance: Keens (oh, SteveR already mentioned), Wolfgang's (NYTimes location), Ushiwakamaru (solid mid-tier sushi, Harbs bakery around the corner), Nomad or Nomad Bar; up by Bryant Park, Gabriel Kreuther (plus its chocolate/pastry shop next door), Sushi Ginza Onodera (lunch is almost reasonably priced).

Have not been, but recommended by friends: Noda (Ginza Iwa alum), Odo (former Kajitsu chef, now with meat!)

If it's very late/early there's always Koreatown.

Thanks for these but I'm thinking of places within 1-3 blocks of Penn Station. I don't know about others, but I usually am busy till close to when I leave NYC. So I rush to the area of Penn Station and look for a quick bite before my train or to take with me on the train. I welcome any other suggestions. If I had time to kill in NYC, then I would simply go to one of the many good places farther from the train station. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can stretch to four blocks, Go Go Curry is at 38th and 8th.  Good Japanese curry in a fast-food-ish environ.  That area really is a wasteland for food.  Other than that, I'd second the Shake Shack and respectfully disagree on the black and whites at Zaro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zgast said:

If you can stretch to four blocks, Go Go Curry is at 38th and 8th.  Good Japanese curry in a fast-food-ish environ.  That area really is a wasteland for food.  Other than that, I'd second the Shake Shack and respectfully disagree on the black and whites at Zaro.

Thanks for the Go Go Curry rec. How do you like your black and whites? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KeithA said:

Thanks for the Go Go Curry rec. How do you like your black and whites? 

Less cake-y. I’m not sure how else to describe it. The ratio of cookie to icing is too high. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...