Suggestions for DC Restaurant Week January 17-23, 2011

glee4

There are few establishments where it's actually worth the effort. Many places only have a few offerings, and the now $35 price tag doesn't even save you that much money.

However, one restaurant that has never disappointed me is Tosca. They offer their full menu (with only very few upcharges), and many of their entrees normally approach $35 on their own, so the RW price is still a bargain. And there's a lot of variety, too, since the amazing pastas can be ordered in half sizes and be used as a first course.

I agree on Tosca. Trummer's on Main was a good deal, don't know if they are still doing it, I assume they are. I would also put New Heights on the list. We recently had an awesome meal at 701, that seems like it would be a good deal price wise for RW.

Actually 701 has a lunch menu for $20 for 3 courses going on now in celebration of their 20th birthday/anniversary. I highly recommend going there now, so you don't have to deal with the RW crowds. Will post more on my meal later in the appropriate thread, but this is a STEAL. (and definitely order the bday cake!)

Last time we went to Birch and Barley it just happened to be Restaurant Week and we went with the special R/W tasting menu (along with excellent beer pairings all elaborately explained by Greg). We found it to be excellent value and would definitely do it again (intentionally this time)

My Oval Room RW experience a year or 2 ago was one of my most disappointing. :) Maybe mine was a fluke, but it was bad enough that I don't want to go back there.

I'm giving Vidalia a shot for lunch today. They are offering a lot of selections although there are a good number of upcharges. Figured it's a good opportunity to see how they're doing since the chef left since there aren't many reviews on here since then. I'll post a review in the appropriate thread later.

+1 and I have come to think of RW as a working staycation (we're working and staying put, but at least we get to eat!), so covering a lot of ground this week.

Went to Oval Room on Tuesday and was really liked it. Everything was more cozy and less fussy than I was expecting.

Really loved Eola's offerings, but they're not offering anything off their regular menu.

Blue Duck Tavern's lunch was delicious.

Passionfish was good, especially liked the lobster roll and the apps.

Another Willow RW disappointment. The execution was felt off for some reason.

Still to go: Trummer's, Tosca, Kushi

Prior Experiences:

Adour toned down their RW offering last summer, so it might not be as nice a deal as its reputation would indicate.

Zola was horrible for lunch. Bad service, really bad food. Was a total waste of $26.

Birch and Barley was its usual excellent self, accompanied by nice inexpensive beer pairings.

Sushi Taro has been consistently good to us, though their wait staff always seems a little clueless.

Kinkaid's was a good deal for $20.

Rasika was a disappointment, some good dishes but - hated being upcharged for flatbread, our overly intrusive waitperson, inedible desserts.

Prime Rib would be great for lunch. They have a wonderful crab imperial. Very very old school establishment.

Our lunch at Vidalia was well worth the money. I'll post a review in the appropriate thread, but I would definitely encourage people to go there. Portions did not seem to be diminished in any way for lunch and frankly, the dinner price would still be something of a steal given their regular menu prices. Food was excellent.

The three-course dinner at the bar at Corduroy is $30.

Is this all of the time or just this week? I specifically had Corduroy on my short list of places to look into, but they weren't listed as participating in RW. Doesn't matter since my meal at Vidalia was excellent, but would be good to know for the future if they always offer this.

Is this all of the time or just this week? I specifically had Corduroy on my short list of places to look into, but they weren't listed as participating in RW. Doesn't matter since my meal at Vidalia was excellent, but would be good to know for the future if they always offer this.

This is all of the time and has been for quite a while. If you don't want the bar menu offerings, you can also order off the main menu. This is such a steal. :)

A list of restaurants that have extended restaurant week is More Restaurant Week. It's often easier to get a good reservation the second week as fewer people realize that some establishments do this.

So far this week we've had good dinners at The Oval Room and Vidalia. Dinner tonight at Cafe Du Parc (although the menu posted on their website seems quite limited) and dinner on Sunday at Ris.

DC Restaurant week begins this coming Monday (1/17th). Are there any recommendations on which restaurants I should try?

I dined at Adour twice and wrote it up elsewhere. For me, with my predilection for French nouvelle cuisine, there is no other restaurant during Restaurant Week/Restaurant Week extended that measures up to Adour. I highly recommend it. And if you can snag a souffle, do so; the desserts are wonderful but the souffles are heavenly -- as are a number of other items on the menu.