The Sensorium -- Coming to Washington

Waitman

There has always been a fine line between avante-garde and utter bullshit -- how many writers and artists were hanging in those dada cafes in 1919 and how many would you care about today if you weren't doing a thesis? -- and this little exercise appears to be walking that line. On the one hand, who wants to throw away good money on bad food and bombast? On the other hand, who wants to be one of those people who starts posts with lines like "I hadn't been to the same place I always go in over a week, and I was worried that the same stuff that I always eat wouldn't taste the same as always...?" Wandering around without a GPS is a good thing. And gin makes everything OK.

But, before a friend talks me into shelling out for this event, I wondered if there was anyone with at least a little inside skinny on the operation.

Save for a gang of websites who make a point of avoiding any actual judgment, lest advertisers and free meals go away, there seems to be little on the web. Though this Going Out Gurus piece does pencil in a little detail, including Chef (?) Brown's modest but respectable resume.

There has always been a fine line between avante-garde and utter bullshit -- how many writers and artists were hanging in those dada cafes in 1919 and how many would you care about today if you weren't doing a thesis? -- and this little exercise appears to be walking that line. On the one hand, who wants to throw away good money on bad food and bombast? On the other hand, who wants to be one of those people who starts posts with lines like "I hadn't been to the same place I always go in over a week, and I was worried that the same stuff that I always eat wouldn't taste the same as always...?" Wandering around without a GPS is a good thing. And gin makes everything OK.

I don't know, Waitman. For someone who writes consistently with such swagger and has only three fingers on his left hand, you're sounding a little Evan Bayh with Street Cred.

Why not check out the to-do, hooplah, whatever, at the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market on Sunday, March 27 (less than two weeks hence), 11 am to noon when you can sniff the chef's butt in person?

ETA: Cf. name of this post's author for an answer to your first question. Marcel Duchamp is a god.

But, before a friend talks me into shelling out for this event, I wondered if there was anyone with at least a little inside skinny on the operation.

Save for a gang of websites who make a point of avoiding any actual judgment, lest advertisers and free meals go away, there seems to be little on the web. Though this Going Out Gurus piece does pencil in a little detail, including Chef (?) Brown's modest but respectable resume.

When you mention respectable resume, I assume you're talking about the part where it talks about his stage with Ron Tanaka former Sous Chef of Michael Richards Central?

Remember that game you played as a child where you had to see how many things you could find wrong in a picture?

Ummmm...no! The miscellaneous "actors" (or are they the servers?) wandering around? The ersatz Blue Man thing? The plating of what appears to be food by your high school cafeteria staff? If that video was any suggestion of what you have to look forward to....think I'll go to Olive Garden for some "authentic" Italian.

Another Chef doing the molecular gastronomy way, this is becoming the 90's infused oil era. :)

I don't know, Waitman. For someone who writes consistently with such swagger and has only three fingers on his left hand, you're sounding a little Evan Bayh with Street Cred

Why don't you just stab him in the heart and be done with it?

I don't know, Waitman. For someone who writes consistently with such swagger and has only three fingers on his left hand, you're sounding a little Evan Bayh with Street Cred.

Why not check out the to-do, hooplah, whatever, at the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market on Sunday, March 27 (less than two weeks hence), 11 am to noon when you can sniff the chef's butt in person?

ETA: Cf. name of this post's author for an answer to your first question. Marcel Duchamp is a god.

Ah -- a helpful and informative -- if bitchy -- reply. Thanks.

When you mention respectable resume, I assume you're talking about the part where it talks about his stage with Ron Tanaka former Sous Chef of Michael Richards Central?

I was actually referring to the CV referenced in the Going Out Guys piece, not the one on the Sensorium website. I, of course, know that Chef Tanaka soused under the best chef in DC, not the best-known. :) That is a bit of a deal-breaker, as is the rather sloppy grammar on the page.

Somebody must be interested in this spectacle. I was going to post that Groupon was offering a deal today for 51% off for The Sensorium; it sold out before 9:00 am. Not sure how many were offered, but still...

103 according to everyone whining that it sold out quickly on the Groupon website.

103 according to everyone whining that it sold out quickly on the Groupon website.

There seems to be a lot of negativity here for an event that hasn't happened yet.

I was ready to shell out $150 pp for this event because it intrigued me. I had a group ready to join me on the adventure. Then the Groupon came out this morning and I snagged one very early. None of my friends got it in time and now don't want to pay full price for newly opened dated. I am so much happier to have paid a lower price. I am hoping it's worthwhile in some way...food, entertainment, both?

There seems to be a lot of negativity here for an event that hasn't happened yet.

Eh. This is more like "jaded speculation." If the place stands up to what it promises, people will change their minds on the board. We're not fans of gimmick glitter, if you know what I mean.

We're not fans of gimmick glitter, if you know what I mean.

This, of course, is absolute bullshit. We are total whores on this board for gimmicks and glitter, we just like it draped in a little peignoir of critical (or peer) approval. B)

Interestingly enough, The Washington Examiner -- the City Paper of the right -- seems to have glommed onto this thing. I suspect free dinners are involved, but it's better than nothing.

The Event.

The Chef.

I went to Sensorium and I enjoyed it. There...I said it.

The food was excellent although the portions were miniscule. The entertainment was definitely over the top but if you go with the right frame of mind, it adds to the experience. I admit that I went with a Groupon, and this definitely was a factor in how I viewed this event. If I had paid full price, I would have been less than satisfied with the amount of food. But I think the harsh comments on this board are unwarranted. I sensed that the other guests who were there are the same time were enjoying themselves. There were three young women at our table paid full price, and they loved it.

I invite you to view my blog for a full review:

Been There, Eaten That Sensorium post.

Edited by goodeats
Truncated url for readers' sake.

The food was excellent although the portions were miniscule. The entertainment was definitely over the top but if you go with the right frame of mind, it adds to the experience. I admit that I went with a Groupon, and this definitely was a factor in how I viewed this event. If I had paid full price, I would have been less than satisfied with the amount of food. But I think the harsh comments on this board are unwarranted. I sensed that the other guests who were there are the same time were enjoying themselves. There were three young women at our table paid full price, and they loved it.

Been There, Eaten That Sensorium post.

Thanks for the link to your blog. I think your dining companion who said it's not a restaurant but an experience was correct. I think the nay-sayers are going there expecting a typical DC dining experience, and it's wasted on them. It's kind of like Mel Brooks talking about his Catskill days when he'd come on stage and say "Man of a Thousand Faces!", and make a couple gnarly gurns, and that was the joke, but there were people in the crowd who would keep count "that bum, he only did 750!" Like that guy on your blog in the responses who complains about the wine pairings! In a tent! In a field!

Went to blogspot.com

Sensation #1: Oh goodie, another food blog

Read about contemplating Sensorium.

Sensation #2: Connivance

Read about Groupon price

Sensation #3: Hot doggy, abandonment ...Every man for himself

Read about delay for seating.

Sensation #4: Yea, oh well not that unusual."

Read about "actors/servers/musicians/dancers/et al."

Sensation #5: Great. A bunch of people who can do many things not very well

Finally read about the food