Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

What time is dinner tonight and how do we get to this place, specifically from DC...oh, and do we have a menu yet :unsure:

Menu:

-Chicken/Veggie salad with Korean mustard sauce

-Baitop shell/scallion with vinaigrette

-Pork barbecue

-Bossam (fresh oyster, steamed pork bacon slab and kimchi stuffing with brined cabbage)

-Soldier stew

-Octopus stir-fried with spicy sauce

-more dishes (I am not sure) and of course, bahn-chan

For non-spicy people, dumpling soup or beef soup will be served.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is time for another $20 dollar night. Since my calandar is free most nights next week, I am happy to help organize. Where shall we go? Virginia or Maryland? Joes? Lighthouse? A&J? Thoughts?
Grover and I have been floating a Lighthouse tofu blowout. If you spend $20 for dinner there you'll be so full you won't be able to walk out and the food is really good. You missed out on Yechon, are you ready for a new adventure?

Grover and I have been floating a Lighthouse tofu blowout. If you spend $20 for dinner there you'll be so full you won't be able to walk out and the food is really good. You missed out on Yechon, are you ready for a new adventure?

Count me in! Are we talking about this coming Tuesday the 26th?

My first choice is Joe's but I'm game for tofu. Sept 26 is ok.
Hmmmm, he said as he checked his calendar....how about Oct 3? Lighthouse has a section that will seat 18 people (we checked last weekend when we were there)...and Grover can provide a bit of guidance (but no ordering for everyone this time, she's just going to advise...and eat...and play perfect hostess). Maybe Cheesepowder and her +1 can join us as well. Whaddya think? October 3 around 7:00pm?
My first choice is Joe's but I'm game for tofu. Sept 26 is ok.
How about Oct 10 for Joes? We can have that great steamed whole fish again.
Any chance people are available on Wed. the 27th or on the following Tues, Oct. 3rd?
Oct 3 is good for us. The rest of the month is food, food, and more food.
Count me in! Are we talking about this coming Tuesday the 26th?
Does October 3 work for you?

October 3 is the ONLY Tuesday that I cannot make for the forseeable future...
How about a $20 Thursday as in Sept 28? Does that work?
THe third is out for me as well, however the 26th or 27th work.

Suggestion Lighthouse one week and Joe's the next?

Can you make it on the 28th? And I'm with you for Joes. We'll figure out a date for that next.
Well then how about 9/26 for Joe's, and 10/10 for Lighthouse?

Wednesdays are no good for me unless we start at 8p.

The 10th looks good for Joes if you can switch to the 28th for Lighthouse.
I can do the 26th and the 3rd and would love to try Lighthouse. Especially with Grover there to advise.
Is the 28th do-able?

Well then how about 9/26 for Joe's, and 10/10 for Lighthouse?

Fine by me (I can't make it to Joe's, but it looks like many others can) and I can make it on the 10th for Lighthouse.

How about a $20 Thursday as in Sept 28? Does that work?

That's fine by me but might not be great for people who plan to go to Joe's on the 26th. We might want to split things up a bit. Can you and Grover make it to Lighthouse on the 10th?

Fine by me (I can't make it to Joe's, but it looks like many others can) and I can make it on the 10th for Lighthouse.

That's fine by me but might not be great for people who plan to go to Joe's on the 26th. We might want to split things up a bit. Can you and Grover make it to Lighthouse on the 10th?

Are you free on the 28th? If we can get the majority of people to agree on the 28th or the 10th, we're good.
I can do any night from the 25-30th.

The 3rd is out, but Katie and I may be able to make other nights that week.

The week of the 10th is out as I will be in Philly.

Let's put some stakes (steaks?) in the ground.

Just to add to the confusion, the week of Oct 2 would work as well. In your honor Scott, how about $20 Thursday? That's Oct 5 and then we can do Joe's on the 10th (and that works for us as well).

Wednesdays are out for me unless we meet at 8, as I coach soccer until 7:30. Thursdays are basically the same restriction - I'm in Olney for baseball until 7:30, so I can't do anything before 8 or 8:30. All Tuesdays are ok with me, except the 3rd when I have a one-day business trip to Boston.

So maybe we do Lighthouse on the 10th, and try Joe's a week or two after?

Wednesdays are out for me unless we meet at 8, as I coach soccer until 7:30. Thursdays are basically the same restriction - I'm in Olney for baseball until 7:30, so I can't do anything before 8 or 8:30. All Tuesdays are ok with me, except the 3rd when I have a one-day business trip to Boston.

So maybe we do Lighthouse on the 10th, and try Joe's a week or two after?

I'm good with this...(of course, I'm always good with good food and company). How about it? Of course, Scott J. is going to be out of town that week...maybe I'll just post the days that aren't good for Grover and me and we'll go from there...we're busy Sept. 21, 26, 27, 29, 30, October 6, 7, 8, 9. and we'll be in Madrid and Paris from November 3 to November 18. (I just realized where all of my "extra" cash goes...most of this is for food...my tightwad relatives are spinning in their graves :) )

I'm assuming people here are scheduling a trip to Joe's on September 26th. (I will not be able to be there, so keep that in mind when you order!)

As for Lighthouse: I can make it on the 25th, 28th, and/or October the 3rd, the 5th or the 10th at Lighthouse. Is anyone keeping score?

I am totally confused: Just to add another suggestion, one which I will also do next week is Dinos $20 deal

From Dino's post and email

We are bringing back our 3 course dinner Sunday thru Thursday until

7:15pm. It is now only $20.00 a person! While the menu will change

with the market, it will always include your choice of fish, chicken or

vegetarian pasta, plus a starter and dessert for $20.00. You can add a

quartin of wine for only $5.00! All you have to do is get your order

in by 7:15pm. Here is the current menu:

Menu della Sera

choice of...

Misticana - Baby Greens - garlic, lemon & olio dressing, grana padano

Zuppa del Giorno - Today’s soup

Prosciutto - Pio Tosini prosciutto

choice of...

Orechietti ai Funghi - Mushroom Pasta - creamy wild mushroom ragu

Pollo- Chicken - rotisserie roasted, served with winter squash hash

Salmone- Grilled Salmon - horseradish crust, potatoes, herb butter

choice of...

Dolce Firenze- Mini Bread Pudding

Crema Caramello- Cream Carmel

3 courses for $20

must be ordered by 7:15 pm; sorry no substitutions!

Sunday thru Thursday

I would love to try Lighthouse, but can pretty well never do a Tuesday (it's yoga night for the +1, and the littlest member of the family won't be any good at 7:30 at night in a restaurant). Any hope (in all this discussion!) of moving Lighthouse to something other than a Tuesday? (Oh, and I'll be out of town 10/9-13).

Third. (Or is that fourth or fifth - can't keep track.)
Might be the 23rd (but who's keeping track?). Great, we'll see everyone on the 25th at Lighthouse at 7:00pm. Here's the map If anyone needs further info or directions, PM me and I'll give you my cell number and you can call if you get lost...and Heather, Jim Carroll is one of my favorites, please come and we can chant the lyrics together (I wouldn't call what I do singing by any stretch).

The menu from the Light House Tofu is:

Spicy level:

• White (non-spicy)
  • Mild
  • Medium
  • Spicy
  • Spicy Spicy

Menu:

All tofu soups are $8.50

1. Mushroom tofu soup

2. Mixed tofu soup (clam, shrimp, oyster, Beef)

3. Seafood tofu soup (clam, shrimp, oyster)

4. Kimchi tofu soup (kimchi, beef)

5. Oyster tofu soup

6. Beef, pork tofu soup

7. Korean soy bean paste (Korean Miso) tofu soup

8. Vegetable tofu soup

Korean B.B.Q ribs $12.99

Bulgogi $9.99

Seafood pancake $12.99

Nakji somyun (spicy octopus with angelhair noodles) $15.99

Jukumi Bokum (stir-fried squid in a spicy sauce) $12.99

Jukumi Noodle (noodles with stir-fried squid in a spicy sauce) $15.99

People attending are:

Escoffier and Grover

DanielK

Smokey

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

Catharine

Deangold +1

There is room for 9 more..

Either. :)

I'm interested in this one. We're trying to pick an Ethiopian caterer for our wedding, which means I must try every Ethiopian place in DC and around. Not that I have a kitfo addiction to feed or anything :)

Hmmm... I think I quoted the wrong thing. Anyhow, I'm definitely interested in an Ethiopian outing.

I think we have everyone enumerated but, having it in two places is probably a good idea.

I was just trying to keep the thread clear of "yes, me too" posts when we have 2-3 events being coordinated at the same time.

Nobody who posted publicly has to PM me - I'll start with that list, and just post an updated roster as each event gets closer.

[Dudes, the rules here aren't set in stone - if there are 2-3 events being coordinated, I can always split the planning off into separate threads, and merge them back in here afterwards. In general I like to keep impromptu midweek stuff isolated here to avoid clutter, but nothing is so regimented that it can't change. Cheers, Rocks]

I was just trying to keep the thread clear of "yes, me too" posts when we have 2-3 events being coordinated at the same time.

Nobody who posted publicly has to PM me - I'll start with that list, and just post an updated roster as each event gets closer.

As of right now (I think) Grover's list is pretty up to date. Feel free to filch that one. LIghthouse has a table in the rear of the room that will hold 18 people so that should be a good workable group.

And just to confuse matters even more...we need another night to do dinner at Dino. Dean will not only have the $20 special dinner for us, he'll have neat drink specials as well. Interested? I figure around 12 for Dino.

For Light House Tofu dinner, people attending are :

Escoffier and Grover

DanielK

Smokey

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

Catharine

Deangold +1

There is room for 9 more. I probably will wait until sunday afternoon and make a reservation since this place is so popular.

Actually it is very difficult to get in around busy hour and there are not many parking spaces available for this little restaurant.

And just to confuse matters even more...we need another night to do dinner at Dino. Dean will not only have the $20 special dinner for us, he'll have neat drink specials as well. Interested? I figure around 12 for Dino.

I'd love to join you for Dino, but I can't do the 28th.

Can I be a maybe for the 10th at Joe's? Rockville might present a challenge for me on a weeknight.

Can I be a maybe for the 10th at Joe's? Rockville might present a challenge for me on a weeknight.

We're working on a later-in-October date for Dino. Stay tuned.

You can certainly be a maybe for Joe's. And I do understand crossing the bridge on a weeknight - I've skipped many a VA weeknight dinner for the same reason. If it helps at all, Joe's is only a few blocks from the Twinbrook Metro - maybe a 10 minute walk?

We'll be coming from Alexandria (Braddock Road area). We can offer rides for 3 people if that would help (and getting to Rockville is an interesting experience at anytime)

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Monday 9/25, 7p, Lighthouse Tofu:

Escoffier and Grover

DanielK

Smokey

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

Catharine

Deangold +1

Tuesday 10/10, 7p, Joe's Noodle House:

eating out

cucas87

Escoffier and Grover

Scott (and Heather?)

catharine

DanielK

StephenB

And, just announced:

Tuesday, 10/24, 6:30p, Dino. We have the $20 menu, and Dean hinted at some drink specials!

Escoffier and Grover

DanielK

Date TBD: Addis Ababa in Silver Spring

Please post here or PM me for updates.

Thanks!