Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

Have something conveniently located on the Red Line in DC and I'll be there. Well, I did miss El Chalan, but barring any unexpected schedule shifts, that won't repeat. I do want to explore the cheaper side of the area.

That sort of limits the options doesn't it? What about all the wonderful ethnic places in the surrounding burbs?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sort of limits the options doesn't it?  What about all the wonderful ethnic places in the surrounding burbs?

It's a logistical issue. No car. I don't doubt that there are far more worthy places out there than there are in here, but I hate to complicate other people's evenings by guilting them into providing transportation. :)

I wish would could get more attendance at these Tuesday/Thursday things.  TemptAsian would be a great venue for one because it is very difficult to spend more than about $15/each as they have no beer or wine to ruin the budget.

I threw Temptasian out as a possibility back in December and got no response. I'll throw it out again for a mid-late January outing, given that it looks like lots of folks have next week booked with Restaurant Week meals :) How about the 24th or 26th?

I'd be happy to transport a person or two from/to King St or Braddock Road Metro (yellow/blue lines).

ETA - jmchen - you can have first dibs on the ride if you can make it. that leaves room for at least one more

Edited by goldenticket

I think the first time a group of us went out to TemptAsian, it was an offshoot of an after work happy hour gathering at John Harvard's. I happened to drive my SUV to work that day and was able to transport a bunch of people, most of whom got dropped off at the Metro on the way back. In retrospect, the first stop at John Harvard's was a good idea as there was no beer at TemptAsian.

I threw Temptasian out as a possibility back in December and got no response.  I'll throw it out again for a mid-late January outing, given that it looks like lots of folks have next week booked with Restaurant Week meals  :)   How about the 24th or 26th?

I'd be happy to transport a person or two from/to King St or Braddock Road Metro (yellow/blue lines).

ETA - jmchen - you can have first dibs on the ride if you can make it.  that leaves room for at least one more

Temptasian on the 26th sounds great to me. I never tried China Star and have been wanting to try Temptasian ever since chef moved there.

That sort of limits the options doesn't it?  What about all the wonderful ethnic places in the surrounding burbs?

It's a logistical issue. No car. I don't doubt that there are far more worthy places out there than there are in here, but I hate to complicate other people's evenings by guilting them into providing transportation.  :)

You know, there's a whole other leg of the Red Line that takes you out to SS and Wheaton with many good walkable places. Come to think of it, there are a half a dozen good places that are walkable from the Rockville metro.

Come to think of it, there are a half a dozen good places that are walkable from the Rockville metro.

Now we're talkin'! Moving things around geographically is likely to net us some new participants each time, too.

But, first things first, with Jackie's gracious offer of a ride to TemptAsian I am thinking I am definitely on board with a 1/26 TemptAsian trip. Everyone always makes it sound so enjoyable with their numbed tongues and their baby wontons and whathaveyou.

You know, there's a whole other leg of the Red Line that takes you out to SS and Wheaton with many good walkable places. Come to think of it, there are a half a dozen good places that are walkable from the Rockville metro.

Like Bob's Noodle 66, which may be the subject of an event on that other board. :)

I lived in Wheaton with no car for 2 years. There are loads of places within walking distance, and a pickup/dropoff at the metro could be easily arranged.

I'm definitely interested in future $20 Tuesdays.  Presently my schedule is a little unpredictable though so metro-accessible options make life a lot easier (I don't drive to work).

Ditto on the Metro accessibility... I'd love to be able to make it to one of these some time. :)

I'm a long-time lurker and new poster. Looking forward to the $20 dinners. (Thought I could have made it this week but work got in the way). I am happy to be added to the list of people willing to pick up or drop off people who need rides. I plan to go to TemptAsian on the 26th and could easily pick up someone (or 2) and/or drop off someone (or 2) at Ballston.

Looking good for the 26th - what time works for everyone 7? 7:30? earlier?

So far I have:

Banco

jmchen

StephenB

cucas87 (welcome - glad you can join us!)

and me (and maybe the +1)

I've still got space to pick up 1 from King St or Braddock Road if that helps.

I'll bump this up again after Restaurant Week since we're a ways from the date.

Looking forward to trying some more good things at Temptasian.

I'd like to go...I keep missing trips to Temptasian. I'll need that ride from King St. or Braddock Road, though. I can be there as early as 6:30, as long as I don't miss the train. Edited by shogun

I'd like to go...I keep missing trips to Temptasian.  I'll need that ride from King St. or Braddock Road, though.  I can be there as early as 6:30, as long as I don't miss the train.

You got it Shogun!

How about we can plan for 7:30? That will give me time to pick up the folks I'm transporting and get to Temptasian without rushing anyone. Sound OK to those who are (so far) planning to come?

You got it Shogun! 

How about we can plan for 7:30?  That will give me time to pick up the folks I'm transporting and get to Temptasian without rushing anyone.  Sound OK to those who are (so far) planning to come?

7:30 on Jan 26 is jake with me. Anybody want a ride from Georgetown?

Looking good for the 26th - what time works for everyone 7?  7:30?  earlier?

So far I have:

Banco

jmchen

StephenB

cucas87 (welcome - glad you can join us!)

and me (and maybe the +1)

I'll bump this up again after Restaurant Week since we're a ways from the date.

Looking forward to trying some more good things at Temptasian.

Are we still on for next Thursday?

I'm still in - how about 7:30 so the folks who are Metro-ing have time to get across the river and be collected :)

So far the following people have said they'll be there:

Banco

jmchen*

StephenB

cucas87

Shogun*

Ustreetguy - maybe?? - let me know and we can work out the ride...

me (and maybe the +1)

* I'll pick you up at Braddock Road Metro around 7:00 (a few minutes later will be fine).

Any one else want to join us for a $20 Thursday, 7:30pm, at Temptasian this week (1/26)?

Edited by goldenticket

I'm still in - how about 7:30 so the folks who are Metro-ing have time to get across the river and be collected  :)

So far the following people have said they'll be there:

Banco

jmchen*

StephenB

cucas87

Shogun*

Ustreetguy - maybe?? - let me know and we can work out the ride...

me (and maybe the +1)

* I'll pick you up at Braddock Road Metro around 7:00 (a few minutes later will be fine).

Any one else want to join us for a $20 Thursday, 7:30pm, at Temptasian this week (1/26)?

Put me and the +1 down for a definite maybe. That's close to home and we can give 2 people a ride from Braddock Road metro (that's where my +1 alights from her daily toil) ... she normally arrives around 6:30 or so.

Put me and the +1 down for a definite maybe.  That's close to home and we can give 2 people a ride from Braddock Road metro (that's where my +1 alights from her daily toil)  ... she normally arrives around 6:30 or so.

Will do - so far we've got:

Banco

jmchen

StephenB

cucas87

Shogun

Ustreetguy

Walrus

Tripewriter

goldenticket

Escoffier (+1)

Tweaked

7:30pm at Temptasian on Thursday (1/26)

Edited by goldenticket

Is somebody going to inform the restaurant that we have up to a dozen people?

I will call them tomorrow and request one of the large round tables (we might have to spill over to a neighboring table if the group gets much bigger). The more peeps, the more dishes we can try!

ETA - I have called and and told them to expect a [DonRockwell] Dozen of us. Rez is under jackie for those arriving early...should be one of the round tables. See you all there!

Edited by goldenticket

Will do - so far we've got:

Banco

jmchen

StephenB

cucas87

Shogun

Ustreetguy

Walrus

Tripewriter

goldenticket (maybe +1)

Escoffier (+1) - maybe

Tweaked

7:30pm at Temptasian on Thursday (1/26)

Just spoke to the +1 and she's all for it. She will be coming home around 5:00 so I have to regretfully withdraw the offer of a ride from the Braddock Rd Metro, but I can offer you a ride to either Braddock Rd or King St. station when we leave. This is getting close to New Years and will be a great way to kick off our own personal celebration. See you there at 7:30 or so (knowing her, probably a bit earlier)

I'm definitely interested in future $20 Tuesdays.  Presently my schedule is a little unpredictable though so metro-accessible options make life a lot easier (I don't drive to work).

If you can make it to Braddock Road or King St. Metro, we can make sure you make this one.

So tonight sounds fun. I can't make it but... I have a thought. What if we rename this concept "Twenty Dollar Treats" so that if a day like Thursday works for an event the branding reflects the concept not the day.

Yes, I am an intellectual property/tradmark geek.

So tonight sounds fun.  I can't make it but... I have a thought.  What if we rename this concept "Twenty Dollar Treats" so that if a day like Thursday works for an event the branding reflects the concept not the day.

Yes, I am an intellectual property/tradmark geek.

Ah, but then the all-important weeknightishness of the brand is lost. Both halves of the equation are equally important. I think it is still a conceptual, though not literal, Tuesday.

Yes, I'm in marketing.

Ah, but then the all-important weeknightishness of the brand is lost. Both halves of the equation are equally important. I think it is still a conceptual, though not literal, Tuesday.

Yes, I'm in marketing.

Great point. I am a lawyer, not in marketing, for a reason. Too literal... :-)

Great point.  I am a lawyer, not in marketing, for a reason.  Too literal... :-)

Well then, how about Twenty Dollar Weeknights or Twenty Dollar Treatnights or Twenty Dollar Eat-out-nights? Select one, no charge for the intellectual (?) property rights.

Little known fact about your Calendar Diva: she is one of the most sentimental people out there.

In a small way $20 Tuesdays was part of the birth of this board. It's conception and birth began on eGullet and has become a growing, thriving part of our community. (For those of you who were on eGullet at the time and have nothing to do, read the thread and the links attached. It's an ironically timed trip down memory lane. For those of you who weren't and want an explination of what was going on let me know. It's really not that interesting:) )

Of course it doesn't matter what day it is, but for now, I'd like to keep the name, if for no other reason to show what like minded people can create :lol:

Little known fact about your Calendar Diva: she is one of the most sentimental people out there.

In a small way $20 Tuesdays was part of the birth of this board.  It's conception and birth began on eGullet and has become a growing, thriving part of our community.  (For those of you who were on eGullet at the time and have nothing to do, read the thread and the links attached.  It's an ironically timed trip down memory lane.  For those of you who weren't and want an explination of what was going on let me know.  It's really not that interesting:) )

Of course it doesn't matter what day it is, but for now, I'd like to keep the name, if for no other reason to show what like minded people can create :lol:

That was over one year ago?! :huh:

In a small way $20 Tuesdays was part of the birth of this board. 

Awww... your explanation is actually an important part of the story of Twenty Dollar Tuesday and the brand to which it relates. Thanks.

How about next Tuesday, the 21st, at Szechuan Boy in Fairfax.  I could clear a bunch of the crap out of the back of my Suburban and deploy the rear seat to help ease any transportation concerns.  Who's in?

Count me in. And I could pick people up at Ballston if that helps.

How about next Tuesday, the 21st, at Szechuan Boy in Fairfax.  I could clear a bunch of the crap out of the back of my Suburban and deploy the rear seat to help ease any transportation concerns.  Who's in?

post-43-1142354821_thumb.gif

This sounds like fun. We would need some transport, though.

post-43-1142354821_thumb.gif

Grover and I are there. Anyone need a ride from Braddock Road Metro?

My husband and I would like to attend.

I could shuttle people from/to the Vienna metro, which is the nearest station, in my mommy-wagon (seats 7).