Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

Scott, Penelope wants to come, too.  So 18.  We had 19 last time, and two large lazy susan tables.  Talk to Jerry, the manager.

And the nine of us sitting at one table had more elbow room than the other table did. The proper response to this is: DUH!

(I went to an eGullet event at a place in Rockville. Twelve of us were squeezed around the same kind/size Lazy Susan table. It was WAY too crowded and a bottle of beer got tipped nearly into my lap (No, it wasn't MY fault!).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think my sweetie and I will be able to join.

It's with a great deal of regret that Grover and I have to miss this one. We'll try to make up for it by having dinner somewhere in Venice and raise a glass of wine in toast to all of you there. (Save us a bit of pork belly).

THIS SUNDAY AT A VERY SPECIAL $20 DOLLAR THURSDAY

Dinner at China Gourmet ie Szechuan Boy April 2 at 6pm at 9901 Lee Hwy

Fairfax, VA 22030-1703 (703) 293-9898.

Al Dente (maybe)

Barbara +1

cucas87

DanielK +2

Dean and Kay

Hillvalley (maybe)

Johnb +1

Lackadaisi +1 (Jlock)

LydiaR +1

MBK

NcPinDC

Pandahugga +1

Bougouni (Penelope)

Scott Johnston +1

StephenB

ustreetguy

22-24 right now

I will call later this week to reserve two - threee large lazy susan tables. I will talked to Jerry, the manager. at Szechuan Boy (703) 293-9898.

Scott

Thanks for your diligent work. I believe (not sure) they may have only two lazy susan tables in the front room, so perhaps you should discuss with Jerry whether it would be best to hold the event in the back room, depending on the final count of course..

When I was there for lunch yesterday, there were no lazy susans up front.  So it seems to me they are able to convert the room pretty easily to whatever they need.

Yes the tables are convertible, but I don't think they have too many of them in the front room. Don't know for sure. Worth making sure.

Please put me down +2 --- or let me know if the restaurant savvy 6 year-old won't be welcome. More than a few people on the list have shared meals with her and I trust them to speak up and tell us all if she's been a nightmare.

If we're really going to be 20+ people, I second the idea of the pre-ordered meal. I'm sure between Dean, JamesG, and others in consultation with the manager, this can be pulled off easier than ordering on site.

And I'll vouch for PollyG's chowpup. I'll lay money down that she tries things at dinner that others shy away from.

Are we doing a pre order?  Are we just going to re order the same as last time or is there interest in trying new stuff?  I am willing to help on the menu selection

As one of 19 people at the last blow-out there, I can say that we left the ordering up to Pandahugga once we all got there. It didn't seem to be a problem. Now that some of us have some experience with the place, it might be useful to put our heads together at the appointed time. Gives everybody a chance to weigh in on his/her preferences.

And I'll vouch for PollyG's chowpup. I'll lay money down that she tries things at dinner that others shy away from.

If the husband and wife lung slices are savory rather than spicy, you'd probably collect. She's not a fan of the hot stuff, but has a huge advantage over some adults in that she is pretty short on cultural prejudices about what is edible.

Still, I know that some people have had dreadful experiences with kids, so if there is a general "no kids welcome" consensus in this group, I'm not going to inflict her on you.

she is pretty short on cultural prejudices about what is edible. 

I've eaten several meals with both PollyG's & DanielK's chowpups (though not at the same time) and use them as my gold standard for assessing kid behavior in restaurants (they're real kids that Gillian Clark would like to see at table in Colorado Kitchen).

PollyG's daughter has been an eager participant in some of my most memorable Chowmeals; including last year's Thai Smackdown series. DanielK's (pictured in his avatar) are regulars at the current Dim Sum Sunday series.

P.S. Don't bet against the pup, DanielK will clean up...

I just got off the phone with Jerry and he knows we are coming. We certainly can pre-order if we want, In addition, we can also give some special requests if we call him early enough. I gave him a head count of 22 and told him I will firm up by the end of the week.

The last time I was there James and I marched into the kitchen to say hello to PC, and he said next time to let him know in advance we were coming so he could do something "special." So I'd remind Jerry of that.

Personally I'm in the pre-order camp, and I'd like to try at least a few new things. But if the general sentiment is to order on the spot, OK, although my experienc e suggest that in a large group that typically leads to chaos.

Don't bother preordering, unless Jerry seemed to imply that there were things that wouldn't be available.  Even if you drink yourself silly on Tsing Tao, it'll be about $30.  And PandaHugga is coming.  He knows all <_< .
If 17. Hot and Numbing Dried Beef (ma la niu rou gan), $5.95 is the dish I remember from Temptasian, it is not to be missed. Think beef jerky with szechuan peppercorn and coriander. Our family also votes for Entree 19, the pickled vegetable tripe, which sounds like a wonderful winter dish.

I'm a big fan of the "Hot and Numbing Coriander Beef Tendon"....it's meaty, only slightly gelatinous, with a wonderful herbal undertone to the heat.

More generally, the dishes that involve something vegetal--herbs or green onions, really show the balance of Zhang's cuisine against the classic Sichuan heat. It's really genius.

Please put me down +2 --- or let me know if the restaurant savvy 6 year-old won't be welcome.  More than a few people on the list have shared meals with her and I trust them to speak up and tell us all if she's been a nightmare.

Polly-If anyone ever gives you a hard time about bringing your daughter to an event let me know. I'll take care of them for ya <_<

Scott-why don't you post a list of who is joining in so far?

As one of 19 people at the last blow-out there, I can say that we left the ordering up to Pandahugga once we all got there.  It didn't seem to be a problem.  Now that some of us have some experience with the place, it might be useful to put our heads together at the appointed time.  Gives everybody a chance to weigh in on his/her preferences.

I am content to leave the ordering to Mr. Shen (Pandahugga). He has never led us astray so far. And I trust his instincts in this matter more than my own -- or those of the other participants. With two dozen people, this is really a chance to hold Peter Tseng's feet to the fire (figuratively speaking).

BTW, I am heading to CG for dinner with my Chinese teacher on Friday, and plan to tell Jerry/Peter that we'll be coming again on Sunday with a big group. He will, I am sure, look after us. I also plan to ask them to make sure to make that translation work of mine pay off...

And just because all the various spellings are driving me nuts already, Peter's surname is spelled Zhang (or, in the old system, Chang).

We just got back... Schezuan Boy Chicken is a smoked brined chicken that brings teart to the eyes! In any case, we told Yao that we could be as many as 25 and he said no problem... we could ahve 3 tables. Chef Chang or Zhang is planning something special for us in addition to our ordering a lot off the menu. We have breakfast for tomorrow!

Is there room for 1 more?  New to the board and the place souns great!

There's always room for 1 more!

(well, almost always ;) - we won't go into event lotteries...you'll learn about them soon enough <_< )

Speaking as a non-attendee, I'm sure the group would be happy to include you on Sunday. We'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on the meal.

Welcome to the board!

Still room for anyone to join us!

Al Dente (maybe)

Barbara +1

cucas87

DanielK +1

Dean and Kay

Hillvalley (maybe, group concenses is that parents is not a viable excuse)

Johnb +1

Lackadaisi +1 (Jlock)

LydiaR +1

MBK

MdJordy

NcPinDC

Pandahugga +1 (chief orderer and translator

PollyG +2

Bougouni (Penelope)

Scott Johnston

StephenB

ustreetguy

24-26 right now

Uh, I don't know how to do this, but I probably cannot make it either!

How about a detailed rundown of tonight's dishes, then? Just looking at the list of attendees, we have a ton of people familiar with the chef's dishes and only a bad case of illiteracy to overcome. We easily have 1/5 of the menu already reviewed on the board, too.

As to ordering strategies without your masterful guidance, if everyone brings a copy of the menu with them and pre-selects 2-3 dishes they feel they absolutely must try, we can probably manage to take advantage of the overlap and make sure everyone gets some of their preferences. Then we can send all the tripe people to the same table. (Wait a second! That's my family!) Alternatively, we can do duplicate/triplicate orders so each table gets the same selection.

Or we can just armwrestle.

Barbara +1

cucas87

DanielK +1

Dean and Kay

Hillvalley (maybe)

Johnb +1

Lackadaisi +1 (Jlock)

LydiaR +1

MBK

mdjordy

NcPinDC

PollyG +2

Bougouni (Penelope)

Scott Johnston

StephenB

ustreetguy

23-24 right now

We have three tables reserved at this point and a chef that is awaiting our return.

Here's the menu again, with all but one dish figured out. Tonight I may get a new menu, in which case I'll try to translate it before the Sunday dinner, which I may be able to attend, pending the arrival of a friend from out of town.

1. Smoked Sesame Chicken (yan xun xiang you ji), $6.50

2. Husband-and-Wife Lung Slices (fu qi fei pian), $6.50

3. Hot and Numbing Rabbit Cubes (ma la tu ding), $6.50

4. Red Oil Beef Shank (hong you niu jin), $6.50

5. Salty Duck (xian shui ya), $6.50

6. Hot and Numbing Coriander Beef Tendon (ma la xiang cai niu jian), $6.50

7. Five Flavor Beef Tendon (wu xiang niu jian), $6.50

8. Three Flavor Bean Curd Skin (san xian dou pi), $4.95

9. Dan Dan Noodles (dan dan mian), $3.95

10. Fish Coriander Rolls (yu xiang juan), $4.95

11. Nan Shan Bean Jelly (nan shan liang fen), $4.95

12. Sichuan Pickles (si chuan bao cai), $1.95

13. Crispy Jade Cups (cui ban yu huan geng), $4.95

14. Oil Braised Bracken (you men jue cai), $4.50

15. Quick Boiled Peanuts (tiao shui hua ren), $2.95

16. Pork in Garlic Mud (suan ni bai rou), $5.95

17. Hot and Numbing Dried Beef (ma la niu rou gan), $5.95

18. Daikon Radish with Pepper (you hu lo bo), $4.95

19. Pumpkin Cakes (nan gua bing), $3.95

20. Red Oil Wontons (hong you chao shou), $4.95

21. Chicken Juice Wontons (ji zhi chao shou), $4.95

Entrees (other than those marked with a ##):

1. Boiled Fish with Soft Bean Curd (shui zhu dou hua yu), $13.95

2. Ma Po Fish Cubes (ma po yu ding), $12.95

3. Boiled Fish Slices [spicy!!] (fei teng yu pian), $13.95

4. Boiled Fish Casserole [spicy!!] (shui zhu yu), $12.95

5. Special Flavor Hot and Numbing Fish (te wei ma la yu), $13.95

6. Pine Nut Fish Half (song ren yu ban), $12.95

7. Bean Sprout Crystal Shrimp (dou miao shui jing xia), $13.95

8. Sichuan Flavor Shrimp (chuan wei gong bao xia), $12.95

9. Lion Head in Clear Soup (qing dun shi zi tou), $6.95

10. Red Cooked Lion Head (hong shao shi zi tou), $10.95

11. Immortal Old Duck Pot [soupy] (shen xian lao ya guo), $13.95

12. Shan City Taro Chicken (shan cheng yu er ji), $11.95

13. Golden Powder Braised Ribs (jin fen pei xiang gu), $10.95

14. Chen Cang Beef in Buns (chen cang niu jia mo), $10.95

15. Salty Fish with Crab and Tofu (xian yu xie rou dou fu), $8.95

16. Salty Fish with Iron Plate Tofu (xian yu tie ban dou fu), $8.95

17. Boiled Beef Intestine (shui zhu niu da chang), $10.95

18. Tripe with Chili Peppers (jian jiao da chang), $10.95

19. Pickled Vegetable Tripe (suan cai da chang), $10.95

20. Dried Bamboo Shoot Meat Stew (sun gan shao rou), $8.95

21. Fire Braised Red Chicken (huo shao hong zi ji), $9.95

22. Shan City Twice-Cooked Pork (shan cheng hui guo rou), $8.95

23. Duck Breast with Hot Pickled Mustard Tuber (zha cai ya pu), $11.95

24. Simply Sauteed Seasonal Vegetable (qing chao shi shu), $7.95

25. Loofah with Fish Slices (si gua yu pian), $12.95

26. Braised Fresh Scallop and Loofah (xian bei si gua hui), $13.95

27. Ma Po Tofu (ma po dou fu), $7.95

28. Sichuan Spicy some sort of Beef (chuan la XX niu rou), $11.95

29. Garlic Flavored Pork Shreds (yu xiang rou si), $8.95

30. Pickled Vegetable with Bean threads and Pork (suan cai fen si rou si), $8.95

31. Shan City Stir Fried Pig's Foot (shan cheng xiao chao ti), $9.95

32. Dong Po Pork (this is the preserved pork belly), $12.95

33. Sichuan Boy Style Chicken, $11.95

34. "Ba Ge" Rabbit of some sort (the characters are cut off), $11.95

35. "Ba Ge" Boiled Rabbit (spicy dish), $11.95

36. Preserved Pickle Fish, $11.95

37. Beggar's Braised Fish, $11.95

38. Sharp Pepper Fish, $13.95

39. Casserole of Carp and Eggplant, $12.95

40. Fish Simmered in Soy Sauce and Chili Bean Paste, $12.95

41. Scallion Braised Carp, $12.95

42. Beef Tenderloin with Lemongrass, $11.95