Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We would have trouble with annandale....

Yeah, I gotta head home first to Potomac, I'm kinda tied to Rockville. I guess it is dueling dinners...

So Rockville is myself, Scott, and Dean & Kay. Annandale I think is Escoffier and Grover, cucas87.

Catharine, smokey, which location are you?

Yeah, I gotta head home first to Potomac, I'm kinda tied to Rockville. I guess it is dueling dinners...

So Rockville is myself, Scott, and Dean & Kay. Annandale I think is Escoffier and Grover, cucas87.

Catharine, smokey, which location are you?

What's the closest metro station to the Rockville location. We didn't even know there was a R'ville location until we checked in the Korean phone book. If there is a close metro station and someone can meet us there, I think we could do that.

What's the closest metro station to the Rockville location. We didn't even know there was a R'ville location until we checked in the Korean phone book. If there is a close metro station and someone can meet us there, I think we could do that.

Twinbrook. It is about a 5-10 minute walk I'd guess.

Twinbrook. It is about a 5-10 minute walk I'd guess.

According to WMATA, it's .6 miles, so I think it's more like 15 minutes. I would have no problems with picking somebody up at Twinbrook. Also you can take the Ride-On Bus #26 from Twinbrook Metro, and it stops in front of the restaurant.

According to WMATA, it's .6 miles, so I think it's more like 15 minutes. I would have no problems with picking somebody up at Twinbrook. Also you can take the Ride-On Bus #26 from Twinbrook Metro, and it stops in front of the restaurant.
Which Ride-On stop is it? Jeez, I haven't ridden Ride-On buses in 15 years.

Let's skip the bus, and go with "I'll pick you up at Twinbrook". Call me when you get to the platform. Claudia has my cell.

So, we're back to Rockville at 7p on Monday! Everyone is welcome, and I can easily do multiple trips from Metro to the restaurant, as it's a 2 minute drive.

Grover, are you still going to call tomorrow for a reservation?

Let's skip the bus, and go with "I'll pick you up at Twinbrook". Call me when you get to the platform. Claudia has my cell.

So, we're back to Rockville at 7p on Monday! Everyone is welcome, and I can easily do multiple trips from Metro to the restaurant, as it's a 2 minute drive.

Grover, are you still going to call tomorrow for a reservation?

We'll call today and make reservations for the group.

Daniel, Dean knows all of us by sight. Can we volunteer Dean to meet us at Twinbrook metro Monday evening?

We can do a pick up run too!
Dean, DanielK volunteered to be there but you know the 3 of us by sight and might mitigate any confusion. Would you and Kay like to meet us at Twinbrook around 6:45?

We'll call today and make reservations for the group.

Daniel, Dean knows all of us by sight. Can we volunteer Dean to meet us at Twinbrook metro Monday evening?

Dean, DanielK volunteered to be there but you know the 3 of us by sight and might mitigate any confusion. Would you and Kay like to meet us at Twinbrook around 6:45?

You got it!

Through confusion about the location (VA? MD?) we made it.

I didn't realized Light House Tofu has 2 locations. When I saw Dean's post about the restaurant I thought 'Wow, he made a heck of trip for his lunch.' :)

Anyway, I am glad that everybody enjoyed the food. We spent $18 per person.

The food we ordered was :

1. Mushroom tofu soup - Smokey

2. Mixed tofu soup (clam, shrimp, oyster, Beef) - DanielK, Rachel(DK's +1)

3. Seafood tofu soup (clam, shrimp, oyster) - Scott Johnston, Dean, Escoffier

4. Kimchi tofu soup (kimchi, beef) - Synaesthesia

5. Oyster tofu soup - Grover

6. Beef, pork tofu soup - Kay (Dean's +1)

We shared :

Seafood pancake

Nakji noodle (spicy octopus with thick noodles)

Jukumi Bokum (stir-fried squid in a spicy sauce)

Through confusion about the location (VA? MD?) we made it.

I didn't realized Light House Tofu has 2 locations. When I saw Dean's post about the restaurant I thought 'Wow, he made a heck of trip for his lunch.' :)

Anyway, I am glad that everybody enjoyed the food. We spent $18 per person.

The food we ordered are :

1. Mushroom tofu soup - Smokey

2. Mixed tofu soup (clam, shrimp, oyster, Beef) -

3. Seafood tofu soup (clam, shrimp, oyster) - Scott Johnston, Dean

4. Kimchi tofu soup (kimchi, beef) - Synaesthesia

5. Oyster tofu soup - Grover

6. Beef, pork tofu soup - Kay (Dean's +1)

We shared :

Seafood pancake

Nakji noodle(spicy octopus with thick noodles)

Jukumi Bokum (stir-fried squid in a spicy sauce)

I htought the stir fry dishes quite good and the pancake excellent. The delivery of the soups was a pretty confused process.... I oedered #5 but got #3. Kays dish was mis-delivered to Jamie and when the mistake was discovered it sems that at first they wanted Kay to just take the soup that Jamie has started to eat. Fortunately Grover got a new pot of soup for Kay. And we could ahve ordered the Kalbi and still come in under $20!

Thanks again to Grover for helping us navigate the menu!

My wife and I both had the #2. As far as heat levels, she had "3-Medium", I had "4-Spicy". While I guess that "5-Spicy Spicy" is within my reach, I don't think I could eat an entire bowl!

We also liked the seafood pancake (although were disappointed at the liberal use of fake crab) and both the octopus and squid (though my wife preferred the squid.)

Service was kind of odd. English is at a premium here, so when they brought the bowls to the table, there was some confusion. I think a couple of people may have gotten the wrong bowl, or the waitress may have heard wrong during ordering. But rather than try to correct errors, she tried to argue with us. Bad move.

The Rockville location is 10 minutes from my house, so we'll probably go back. It will be interesting to see how they treat a table without any Korean diners - I didn't see any such tables during the 90 minutes we were there...

Big thanks to Grover for helping us navigate the menu (and advocating for the right bowl of soup for the right person with the waitress!). It was a really great meal. While I liked the pancake, squid and octopus, the winner to me was definitely the soup. I had the mushroom tofu, ordered spicy. Like DanielK, I think i could eat spicy spicy, but I'm not sure I could *enjoy* a whole bowl of it! It was a great meal for a cooling night like last night--the food was warm (temperature and spice level) and soft, very comforting. It was nice to meet folks and enjoy (new to me) food with others.

Without defending Korean restaurateurs, they tend to do business for Korean people only so they hire Korean waiting staff w/wo English speaking skill. This kind of tendency is slowly changing because of growing American customers. Yesterday, the waitress didn't know what to do with the untaken Kimchi tofu soup. It could have been resolved if she could speak English. Anyway, I followed Claudia's wisdom to order another one for Kay and it worked well. The owner didn't charge the additional soup.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome. Post here or PM me for updates.

Tuesday 10/10, 7p, Joe's Noodle House

eating out

cucas87

Escoffier and Grover

Scott (and Heather?)

catharine

DanielK

StephenB

Tuesday, 10/17, 7p, Ooohs and Aaahs

mdt

Heather

LaShanta

Wednesday 10/18, Etete

Heather

porcupine +1

LaShanta

Tuesday, 10/24, 6:30p, Dino

We have the $20 menu, and Chris will offer some special drinks from the bar!

Escoffier and Grover

DanielK

pidgey +1

cucas87

DC in DC +1

jm chen

porcupine +1

I think we can do that one (I have to check with Grover but I'm pretty sure I can make it). Shall I bring the Jim Carroll lyrics?
We are negotiating the location, as there is some doubt that Etete can handle a large group. Addis Ababa in Silver Spring was mentioned...does anyone else have a downtown suggestion? I used to like Dukem but have no idea whether they're still any good.

(I have Jim Carroll on my iPod. :) )

We are negotiating the location, as there is some doubt that Etete can handle a large group. Addis Ababa in Silver Spring was mentioned...does anyone else have a downtown suggestion? I used to like Dukem but have no idea whether they're still any good.

(I have Jim Carroll on my iPod. :) )

I don't know good from bad in this case. I have to leave that up to someone who has experience. (I have the whole Catholic Boy album...great stuff, albeit a bit depressing).