Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

TODAY'S $20 TUESDAY (special Wednesday edition):

7:30p, Addis Ababa, 8233 Fenton St., Silver Spring MD

Our headcount is currently 8 adults plus a Peanut, and a reservation is made under the name "Daniel". If you get there before me, try 8 different pronunciations of "Daniel", as the person who took the reservation tried all of them while trying to put the name in the book.

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome. Post here or PM me for updates.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Actually, it's upcoming Tuesday, no plural, as we're reaching the end of the scheduled meets. People, throw some suggestions out there for November!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome. Post here or PM me for updates.

Tuesday, 10/24, 6:30p, Dino

We have the featured $20 menu, and Chris will offer some drink specials from the bar!

Note to Dean: Headcount currently at 18...

Escoffier and Grover

DanielK

pidgey +1

cucas87

DC in DC

Gus +1

jm chen

synaesthesia

NotQuickDraw

agm

Scott Johnston

Xochitl10

legant

rkduggins

NCPinDC

Great minds think alike, I was thinking the same thing (Flavors).

How about we find a Pizza and beer place one night.

Shamsury is another suggestion in tysons

Virginia?! PSH. That den of iniquity? Unless it's for dim sum.

Indian? I'd vote for Woodlands though it is a bit far. Mmm... paper dosas.

I would love a dinner in Virginia. I would have a much better shot at making it. Woodlands sounds good. Wasn't there a Lighthouse dinner planned for the Annandale location at some point (or is that wishful thinking..)? Flavors is a great idea, too. Anything after the marathon (10/29) would be fabulous.

I would love a dinner in Virginia. I would have a much better shot at making it. Woodlands sounds good. Wasn't there a Lighthouse dinner planned for the Annandale location at some point (or is that wishful thinking..)? Flavors is a great idea, too. Anything after the marathon (10/29) would be fabulous.

Ohhh.. more geography confusion. I was thinking of the Woodlands in Langley Park, not Virginia.

I almost think we need a FAQ for the $20 Tuesdays....

The best way to have a $20 Tuesday is just to name the details, and let it catch on by itself. Want a dinner in NoVa? Great! Decide on a place, pick a day that works for you (doesn't really have to be a Tuesday), and announce it here. 99% of the time you'll get a quorum very quickly, and I'll track it here in the topic.

Really, the only difference between this topic and "On a whim..." is that these are planned a week or two in advance, rather than an hour or two.

Last note: it's only fair - if you are the one who posts with the place and date, you're nominally in charge. Which only really means calling the place to make a reservation if appropriate, as everything else pretty much happens here in the topic.

So, fire away!

I almost think we need a FAQ for the $20 Tuesdays....

The best way to have a $20 Tuesday is just to name the details, and let it catch on by itself. Want a dinner in NoVa? Great! Decide on a place, pick a day that works for you (doesn't really have to be a Tuesday), and announce it here. 99% of the time you'll get a quorum very quickly, and I'll track it here in the topic.

Really, the only difference between this topic and "On a whim..." is that these are planned a week or two in advance, rather than an hour or two.

Last note: it's only fair - if you are the one who posts with the place and date, you're nominally in charge. Which only really means calling the place to make a reservation if appropriate, as everything else pretty much happens here in the topic.

So, fire away!

Exactly. The idea was to have informal dinners with smaller groups of folks to get out and try new places as opposed to the ones that need lengthy planning.

I am up for one in VA too. Lets do Woodlands on 11/7.

Exactly. The idea was to have informal dinners with smaller groups of folks to get out and try new places as opposed to the ones that need lengthy planning.

I am up for one in VA too. Lets do Woodlands on 11/7.

We could do on purpose what we almost did by accident with the Lighthouse meal a couple of weeks ago - duelling $20 Tuesday dinners VA/MD. Maybe do a Woodlands dinner in Langley Park or Gaithersburg on the same night, and compare meals online?

We could do on purpose what we almost did by accident with the Lighthouse meal a couple of weeks ago - duelling $20 Tuesday dinners VA/MD. Maybe do a Woodlands dinner in Langley Park or Gaithersburg on the same night, and compare meals online?

Gaithersburg Woodlands closed about a year ago. :)

TOMORROW'S $20 TUESDAY:

There is still room, so if you want to join, post here or PM me.

Everyone please remember to bring cash!!

Tuesday, 10/24, 6:30p, Dino

We have the featured $20 menu, and Chris will offer some drink specials from the bar!

Escoffier and Grover

DanielK

pidgey +1

cucas87 +1

DC in DC

Gus +1

jm chen

synaesthesia

NotQuickDraw

agm

Scott Johnston

Xochitl10

legant

rkduggins

NCPinDC

Based on posts here, PMs, and some discussions at Dino's last night, here are some potential upcoming $20 Tuesdays. Post here or PM if you are thinking about one of the nights, just so we see if there's enough traction to keep it on the calendar.

10/31 Stay home and pass out candy to ungrateful children

11/7 Woodlands (MD and VA?)

11/14 Birreria Paradiso

11/21 <Peking Duck, location TBD>

11/28 Flavors

Based on posts here, PMs, and some discussions at Dino's last night, here are some potential upcoming $20 Tuesdays. Post here or PM if you are thinking about one of the nights, just so we see if there's enough traction to keep it on the calendar.

11/14 Birreria Paradiso

11/28 Flavors

Woodlands in VA for sure.

11/14 Birreria Paradiso

11/28 Flavors

I'm up for Woodlands, TBD Duck and Flavors.

11/14 Birreria Paradiso

11/28 Flavors

I'm in for Woodlands (VA) and Flavors. Yay - dinners in VA!

Actually, I'd go with the day after Thanksgiving as the best dining out night.

Depends what you like. Halloween = no noisy kids running up and down the aisles jostling your chair, etc.

You'd better at leave some candy on the front porch, or I will personally come and toilet paper your yard. :)

In 9 years here we have had zero trick-or-treaters. No sidewalks on this road - no safe place to walk. But I'll set some out for you if you like. :)

Halloween seems like an especially interesting evening for this. I read somewhere that next to New Year's Eve it is the most popular night to go out. Six o'clock seems like a good time to start.

I wonder if Roberto will be wearing a mask in the kitchen...

Edited by Joe H

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me for updates.

Tuesday, 10/31, 6p, Bebo

JoeH

Jacques Gastreaux

Tuesday, 11/7, 7p, Woodlands

MD:

Heather

DanielK

legant

VA:

mdt

catharine

rkduggins

Tuesday 11/14, 7p, Pizza and Beer at Birreria Paradiso

DanielK

mdt

jmchen

Scott Johnson +1

TedE

alan7147

Tuesday 11/21, time and place TBD <Peking Duck>

Grover

Escoffier

rkduggins

DanielK

cucas87

Scott Johnson

Tuesday 11/28, 7p, Flavors

Grover

Escoffier

rkduggins

catharine

cucas87

Scott Johnson +1

hm212

Thanks, Daniel. Tuesday, Halloween, is just conceived as an informal gathering from several of us who were there yesterday and thought we would get together again on Halloween at the bar. Nothing formal, no reservations, regular menu, regular pricing. But an especially interesting night to be out and Bebo seems like an especially interesting place on this night. Anyone who would like to show up please feel free to come.

If Don would like to move this and the above posts to another thread which is more appropriate that is fine.

Thanks.

Thanks, Daniel. Tuesday, Halloween, is just conceived as an informal gathering from several of us who were there yesterday and thought we would get together again on Halloween at the bar. Nothing formal, no reservations, regular menu, regular pricing. But an especially interesting night to be out and Bebo seems like an especially interesting place on this night. Anyone who would like to show up please feel free to come.

If Don would like to move this and the above posts to another thread which is more appropriate that is fine.

Thanks.

You just defined what $20/Tuesday (or any day of the week) was meant to be. Granted the Dino event went slightly astray, but the idea is to have an inexpensive meal (not counting booze) by ordering off of the regular menu.

You might as well add me to the list for the 14th, although I plan to get there closer to 5p as 1/2 price beers drafts are from 5-7p. :)

You might as well add me to the list for the 14th, although I plan to get there closer to 5p as 1/2 price beers drafts are from 5-7p. :)

Good thought. I'm at a meeting in Arlington until 6, so I'll be there before 7, but I'm sure you'll be several pints in by then! :)