Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$20 tuesday?

Dunno the protocol here, being somewhat of a n00b, but I'd be happy to help organize. I have noticed they have a private room at the front of the restaurant for larger parties.

I wonder if we can bring our own soundtrack.

*taps foot along to Mindless Self Indulgence*

Dunno the protocol here, being somewhat of a n00b, but I'd be happy to help organize. I have noticed they have a private room at the front of the restaurant for larger parties.
Talk to DanielK (or Grover) about organizing it. If you organize it, I will come.
Anyone can organize a $20 Tuesday (which doesn't have to be on a Tuesday). Pick a date and post it over in the $20 Tuesday thread. If it's likely to be more than $20, just make note of that. DanielK will help maintain the list of attendees, but the organizer can also help with that. Grover is a great help with arranging meals at Korean restaurants and will usually do some advance work - setting up a menu and reserving space.

Yeah, with Han Gang this might end up a $30 Thursday. Or a $40 Friday. :D

FYI follow up on this topic...we're kicking around the idea of a Tuesday event on May 26th. Once that date is final and a couple of logistics get nailed, I'll post the details.

Been to Chung Dai Kam for lunch a couple of time (Annandale, in the parking lot with Giant). They have a picture of a cow in their sign. They have some really good lunch specials. Check them out when you have a chance.

Just a quick tease - working on the details for a $20 Tuesday at Indique Heights.

Stay tuned...

Excellent!! I could make a meal out of their street snacks. My (overprotective) parents took me to India several times when I was young but I was never allowed to eat any of the street food. Looking forward to it.

Excellent!! I could make a meal out of their street snacks. My (overprotective) parents took me to India several times when I was young but I was never allowed to eat any of the street food. Looking forward to it.

I just returned from 10 days in India...think I can wait a while for more Indian anything...

And Indique Heights - details coming in a day or two, but October 15th is the date.

As far as doing a $20 Tuesday, you can read back through the thread, but anyone can host one. Pick a place where one can dine for about $20 (before tax, tips, drinks), pick a date (make sure it's not conflicting with another event), and post away. When I have time, I'm happy to moderate the board logistics, so all you have to do is arrange the reservation (if needed) and work with the restaurant if a set menu is appropriate.

And Indique Heights - details coming in a day or two, but October 15th is the date.

As far as doing a $20 Tuesday, you can read back through the thread, but anyone can host one. Pick a place where one can dine for about $20 (before tax, tips, drinks), pick a date (make sure it's not conflicting with another event), and post away. When I have time, I'm happy to moderate the board logistics, so all you have to do is arrange the reservation (if needed) and work with the restaurant if a set menu is appropriate.

I have never understood why it cannot conflict with another event? Isn't the dining area and membership is large enough to have more than one of these at a time.

I have never understood why it cannot conflict with another event? Isn't the dining area and membership is large enough to have more than one of these at a time.

Hasn't seemed to work out that way. Since we rarely even get 10 people for a $20 Tuesday, having 2 of them on the same day could very likely kill one of them.

We also seem to suffer from "event fatigue". If there are several one week after another, or two the same week, attendance goes down. Will be interesting to see how this month works out with 3 events in 3 weeks, plus the picnic...

I was waiting to have a Korean $20 Tuesday at Han Gang Restaurant because blowfish season is coming soon. I just called the restaurant and found out that they will not have a blowfish dish this year. The person who answered the phone said that they are having trouble getting good quality blowfish. I am so disappointed. :(

I was waiting to have a Korean $20 Tuesday at Han Gang Restaurant because blowfish season is coming soon. I just called the restaurant and found out that they will not have a blowfish dish this year. The person who answered the phone said that they are having trouble getting good quality blowfish. I am so disappointed. :P

I ... cannot ... contain ... myself ...

That blows! :(

Chef Vinod has gotten sidetracked trying to get Bombay Bistro in Rockville reopened, but we are still planning on a $20 Tuesday at Indique Heights on Thursday, SeptemberOctober 15th, probably at 7pm.

Only 10 days away, so start throwing those RSVPs out there. No clue on what he's planning yet, but if it's anything like the previous dinners he's done, you're going to get absolutely stuffed for your $20.

The only detail I have is that it will be $20 plus tax, tip, drinks. Start saving your pennies...

Chef Vinod has gotten sidetracked trying to get Bombay Bistro in Rockville reopened, but we are still planning on a $20 Tuesday at Indique Heights on Thursday, September 15th, probably at 7pm.

Um, this is pointing out the obvious, but just make sure, you meant October right?

I wanted to post this in case anyone had a chance to check this place out tonight and report back. The advertisement and initial report in the Chinese newspaper made it sound wonderful and a great replacement for what Bob's 88 Shabu Shabu could have been.

The newspaper reports that this place is opened by Mr. Liu of Chengdu Xiaoguan (Cheng du little cafe), but I can't recall if this is the chinese name of Hong Kong Palace right now -- could someone verify?

Anyway, the newpaper reports that all the stocks are homemade and there are various stock options to choose from (chicken, fish, red meat-based). Also lots of spiciness involved. The hot pot is from 3:00pm onwards, but no price is given in this report.

The newspaper also reports that the owner went back to China last year for two month and ate at various hot pot place in Chengdu and Chongqing.

So, who's coordinating the $20 Tuesday? ;)

Any interest on Uncle Liu's Hot Pot in merrifield va for tuesday or Thursday night thing. The specific date not yet determine but being hot pot preferably before it get stinking hot.

Soup

Any interest on Uncle Liu's Hot Pot in merrifield va for tuesday or Thursday night thing. The specific date not yet determine but being hot pot preferably before it get stinking hot.

Soup

I think I'd be up for that (depending on date). I've never done hot pot and it seems to be a more communal, rather than my usual alone, thing.

Well, there seems to be a dearth of $20 Tuesdays lately so....(I haven't checked with Grover yet and she might tell me NO!) but North Korean Soondae sure sounds good. The restaurant is small and the service ranges from off-handed to sporadic, but when the food comes....well, who needs someone hovering over you every 30 seconds anyway? I've eaten soondae in restaurants in Seoul that specialize in nothing but soondae and they are a remote second to this tiny new restaurant. If there is sufficient interest, Grover and I will approach Mrs.Ma and see if we can shoe-horn in a bunch of Rockwellians.

Well, there seems to be a dearth of $20 Tuesdays lately so....(I haven't checked with Grover yet and she might tell me NO!) but North Korean Soondae sure sounds good. The restaurant is small and the service ranges from off-handed to sporadic, but when the food comes....well, who needs someone hovering over you every 30 seconds anyway? I've eaten soondae in restaurants in Seoul that specialize in nothing but soondae and they are a remote second to this tiny new restaurant. If there is sufficient interest, Grover and I will approach Mrs.Ma and see if we can shoe-horn in a bunch of Rockwellians.

I would be in depending on date/time.