Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

I think that's a perfect idea. The menu is daunting for someone who isn't intimately familiar with Vietnamese cuisine. Thank goodness the multi-cultural Grover is. We have 15 people signed up, so the dinner for 10 should be a good start, and we can take it from there. It's an opportunity to try a lot of different stuff. Where they offer a choice on the pre-fixe dinner, my votes are: 2,2,1,2,1,2,1,1.

And I wonder if we can add the Hot Pot, which looks scrumptious.

I'd vote for adding on #155 if possible!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this Metro accessible? What about after a couple of drinks? :P
As MM said, no. In fact, Seven Corners is barely car-accessible. I'm fairly certain I once went through that intersection and ended up in Maryland.

Maybe you need a couple of drinks to navigate it...

It's not walkable from a Metro station, but you can take a bus from Clarendon (Orange) or Pentagon City (Blue), and the door-to-door time from (for example) Metro Center is only 45 minutes.

Or, I'm sure someone will be happy to do a quick swing by a Metro station on the way to dinner...

Anyone up for a repeat visit to Joe's Noodle, China Bistro (mama's dumplings) or the new shabu shabu (which is the old shabu shabu menu, but with new owners?). happy to organize for later in Feb/March

Probably--depending on dates. I'm so booked with meetings I don't know what day it is half the time!

REMEMBER - BRING CASH!

Wednesday January 7th, 7pm, Four Sisters (Vietnamese), Merrifield, VA

website, DR.com topic

DanielK

TheMatt

Scott Johnston

cucas87

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

aaronsinger

StephenB

LuvTeddyBears8

Fun Guy

ema+1

Escoffier

grover

Might want to split into 2 tables of 8. We can't fit everyone around 1 table and the chef isn't likely able to prepare 16 dishes each able to feed 16 people without losing some serious quality control.

Tuesday, February 17th, 7pm, Meaza (Ethiopian), Seven Corners
Unless I'm thinking of the wrong place, isn't this place in Bailey's Crossroad (5440 Columbia Pike Arl)? If so, there's bus stop right by the restaurant at Columbia Pike & S Greenbrier Street (WMATA says the Arlington 41 stops there, as does the 16G or the 16D), but definitely not easily accessible.

The Hot Pot is exactly I am thinking about to add to our dishes.
Eeek! Shellfish! Too much shellfish! (Heh. I am not made for this region sometimes.)

Of course, that means more of the other dishes for meeee...

ETA: Man, not only do the veggie hot pots look good to me, #74 does as well. Congee and this weather just seem to fit.

Eeek! Shellfish! Too much shellfish! (Heh. I am not made for this region sometimes.)

Of course, that means more of the other dishes for meeee...

ETA: Man, not only do the veggie hot pots look good to me, #74 does as well. Congee and this weather just seem to fit.

Just give the Hot Pot a chance! :P

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong place, isn't this place in Bailey's Crossroad (5440 Columbia Pike Arl)? If so, there's bus stop right by the restaurant at Columbia Pike & S Greenbrier Street (WMATA says the Arlington 41 stops there, as does the 16G or the 16D), but definitely not easily accessible.

According to their website, they are located on Strawberry Lane, in Fairfax (Merrifield). Can anyone confirm this?

According to their website, they are located on Strawberry Lane, in Fairfax (Merrifield). Can anyone confirm this?

The Metro discussion was about Meaza, the proposed Ethiopian $20 Tuesday, not tonight's Four Sisters dinner, which is indeed on Strawberry Lane in Merrifield. It's in the Merrifield Town Center, off Gallows between Rte 50 and Lee Hwy.

Tonight's dinner is a long walk (about a mile) from Dunn Loring, if anyone is trying to go that route...

The Metro discussion was about Meaza, the proposed Ethiopian $20 Tuesday, not tonight's Four Sisters dinner, which is indeed on Strawberry Lane in Merrifield. It's in the Merrifield Town Center, off Gallows between Rte 50 and Lee Hwy.

Tonight's dinner is a long walk (about a mile) from Dunn Loring, if anyone is trying to go that route...

Oh... Whew. :P

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong place, isn't [ Meaza ] in Bailey's Crossroad (5440 Columbia Pike Arl)?

You are correct; Meaza is on the west side of Columbia Pike in Bailey's Crossroads, not Seven Corners. Look for the plate glass windows and brightly colored signs. IMHO there's a sort of "last days of disco" flavor to the decor, but the injera is the best in town, if you ask for the all-teff version.

Look for the plate glass windows and brightly colored signs. IMHO there's a sort of "last days of disco" flavor to the decor, but the injera is the best in town, if you ask for the all-teff version.
Last time I went, it appeared they repainted in there, in bright tan and red colors. I'm not sure how "disco" that is, but the fresh coat of paint did "liven" things up a bit... :P

Ugh, I hate being a no-show, but I got completely lost around Seven's Corners and it was getting pretty late.

Sorry. :P

hmmm, LRT to 495 towards American Legion Bridge, get off on Rt 50 W, take the Gallows Rd exit on right. Go to third stoplight and turn left...avoid 7 corners at all possible costs especially on a rainy night.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

Thursday, January 29th, 7pm, Hong Kong Palace (Sichuan Chinese), Seven Corners

Coordinator: catharine

website, DR.com topic

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

DanielK

TheMatt

grover

StephenB

Escoffier

grover

Tuesday, February 17th, 7pm, Meaza (Ethiopian), Bailey's Crossroads

website, DR.com topic

catharine

rkduggins

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK

goldenticket

Hmm, if I'm going to Cleveland Park, I'm usually headed to Dino (specially after the "Chinese" experience we had there a couple of years ago).

What? Which experience??!! The pre-Thanksgiving duck dinner at Spices? Other than wrestling DanielK -- he won; I was trying to be lady-like -- over the duck carcasses I thought it was a pretty good evening. Besides, we had... what?... 4 whole ducks? And, 15 people? Given the size of our group, I was willing to cut them some slack. Hmm. Maybe it's time to give them another chance.

Or, did I miss another Cleveland Park outing?

What? Which experience??!! The pre-Thanksgiving duck dinner at Spices?
Nope, it was a totally forgettable experience at Spices..which (for that night at least, should have been named No-Spices) required repeatedly asking for tea, chopsticks, the food we ordered and other niceties ..

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

Coordinator: StephenB

website, DR.com topic

catharine +1

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

DanielK

TheMatt

StephenB

Escoffier

grover

soup

website, DR.com topic

catharine

rkduggins

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK

goldenticket

Calls for a $20 Tuesday. How about Feb 24 or 25 or 26th?

From their website--

"Saigon Bistro is a new restaurant in Dupont Circle that brings truly authentic Vietnamese cuisine to Washington, DC. It's a family-owned business whose owners include Luna Howard, a native Washingtonian and entrepreneur, and her relatives, who recently emigrated to the U.S. after running an exquisite Vietnamese gourmet restaurant in their native homeland. We invite you to dine with us to experience Vietnamese food at its best."

I'm game! Unfortunately this is not real close to my work, but it is close enough that I'll walk over as long as it isn't below freezing outside. I hope either here or Jack's offers some tasty Pho!

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

website, DR.com topic

catharine +1

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

DanielK

TheMatt

StephenB

Escoffier

grover

soup

Tweaked

website, DR.com topic

catharine

rkduggins

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK

goldenticket

Don't let this dissuade those of you not signed up - we can expand the reservation if necessary!
Don't be telling people about Hong Kong Palace. It's hard enough getting a table now and you're telling all these people they should join us. Half the Chinese families in Fairfax are going to be mad at you when THEY can't get a table either. :P

TONIGHT: $20 TUESDAYS THURSDAY!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list. BRING CASH!

website, DR.com topic

catharine +1

MBK

Ericandblueboy

DanielK

TheMatt

StephenB

Escoffier

grover

soup

Tweaked

From the website:

The official address of Hong Kong Palace Restaurant, 6387 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA, does not display properly on online maps.

We are located in the Seven Corners Center, between Leesburg Pike and Route 50, south of Eden Center, in Falls Church, VA.

Our restaurant is just off Leesburg Pike, which includes Michaels and Shoppers Food Warehouse on the Leesburg Pike side, and Fortune, Home Depot and Barnes & Noble on the Rt. 50 side.

To locate Hong Kong Palace using online maps, please use this address:

6212 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA.

As you enter the shopping center (directly across from the Sears on Leesburg Pike), take the first right and you will see our restaurant in the middle of the row