Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're now up to 15 for tonight, assuming everybody shows up. That includes my +1, the lovely Elliott. For those who haven't been to HKP before, if you're coming from DC, the easiest thing is to go out Rte 50 to Patrick Henry, turn left to the first light, then right and right again into the little mall, which is across the highway from Sears. Daniel suggests we double up on some of the items I've selected, which is exactly what we shall do. Otherwise, the menus are printed and ready for distribution. Is anybody hungry?

I'm a definite "in" at the moment. I assume it would be at a normal time and not a DeanGold/vampire sort of time? :P
No vampires at Honey Pig... too much garlic! But you don't know the wonders of drinking soju and eating too much dead pig at 1 in the morning! For right now, I am working Tuesdays so it looks unlikely.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

Tuesday, February 17, 7pm, Meaza (Ethiopian), 5700 Columbia Pike, Falls Church

Coordinator: catharine, website, DR.com topic

catharine

rkduggins +1

DanielK

goldenticket

Tuesday, March 10, 7pm, Honey Pig Gooldaegee (Korean BBQ), 7220 Columbia Pike, Annandale

Coordinator: grover, website (in Korean), DR.com topic

grover

Escoffier

Tweaked

xcanuck +1

Ericandblueboy

TheMatt

StephenB

ema

soup

DanielK

Have you been to that porridge place (Dduk Sarang)? Is that a potential $20 Tuesday spot?

I am going to visit the place soon but it is like an afternoon tea place. I will find out and let you know.

I would rather pick Bon Chon Chicken for another $20 Tuesday candidate.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

THIS Tuesday, February 17, 7pm, Meaza (Ethiopian), 5700 Columbia Pike, Falls Church

Coordinator: catharine, website, DR.com topic

catharine

rkduggins +1

DanielK

goldenticket

Tuesday, March 10, 7pm, Honey Pig Gooldaegee (Korean BBQ), 7220 Columbia Pike, Annandale

grover

Escoffier

Tweaked

xcanuck +1

Ericandblueboy

TheMatt

StephenB

ema

soup

DanielK

Dear Honey Pig dinner participants,

I made a reservation March 10th 7:00 PM (Ask DR.com). The receptionist told me that they prefer everybody get in at the same time. I know it is a bit difficult but through my $20 Tuesday experience, Escoffier, me, StephenB, Thematt and DanielK are pretty prompt and I have no idea about others. If you can't come, please let me know so I can change the reservation. It is pretty busy hour on 7:00 PM at Honey Pig so please try to be prompt. I will PM you my cell number so call me if you are getting late. Don't forget bringing cash around $25 and wearing washable clothings (BBQ smell).

Thank you very much,

Grover

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

grover

Escoffier

Ericandblueboy

TheMatt

StephenB

ema

soup

DanielK +2

Owen

sphere777

Tweaked (maybe)

deangold (maybe)

(Total 12-14)

?? Monday, March 16, 7pm, Shanghai Cafe, Potomac ??

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

grover

Escoffier

Ericandblueboy

TheMatt

StephenB

ema

soup

DanielK +2

Owen

MerryMary

gnathrobed

(Total 13)

anyone stepping forward for this one?

anyone stepping forward for this one?

I have been way too busy to follow through, and will continue to be too busy for at least a month. :rolleyes: But if anyone feels like going on a whim, post here, and let's see what happens.

BTW, how many members are more or less active in $20 Tuesdays? Thirty-ish? So why can't we schedule events close together? Not every member goes to every dinner...

BTW, how many members are more or less active in $20 Tuesdays? Thirty-ish? So why can't we schedule events close together? Not every member goes to every dinner...

Of the two dates you had originally thrown out there, one was 2 days later (and nobody immediately chimed in to be interested), and the other was on the same date as an existing event. While there's no written rule against it, as a generality we try to avoid having two events the same week, much less the same day.

I have been way too busy to follow through, and will continue to be too busy for at least a month. :rolleyes: But if anyone feels like going on a whim, post here, and let's see what happens.

I'm happy to go there for brunch Sun 3/15. No chance that I'll ever make it there on a weekday night.

Of the two dates you had originally thrown out there, one was 2 days later (and nobody immediately chimed in to be interested), and the other was on the same date as an existing event. While there's no written rule against it, as a generality we try to avoid having two events the same week, much less the same day.

Daniel, this is your show, but from my perspective, I'd love it if there was a restaurant featured every single night, even if it was just a four-top. Probably not practical given how much time goes into organizing these events, but I can always dream, n'est-ce pas?

Daniel, this is your show, but from my perspective, I'd love it if there was a restaurant featured every single night, even if it was just a four-top. Probably not practical given how much time goes into organizing these events, but I can always dream, n'est-ce pas?

That sounds more like "On a Whim" than a "$20 Tuesday", as long as we're defining labels. As you say, big difference between "who wants to meet me at xxx tomorrow", vs. making a list, calling the restaurant, and possibly, depending on the size of the group and the place, planning a menu.

And I am certainly not the gatekeeper for the $20 Tuesdays. Anybody, anytime, who is willing to be the coordinator, can throw out a destination and a date, and that's all the planning necessary. I'm happy to keep the running post in this topic that lists all of the upcoming events, which is really very little effort.

Hey! What happened to this thread? Is it just me or are we missing a couple of weeks worth of posts?

ETA: I see the Spice Xing posts moved to a separate thread on dcdining. Is that how we will organize future dinners?

What am I missing?

I think Rocks did it for this one dinner, but he has not signaled intent to me to do this for all $20 Tuesdays.

I head back home to NJ for the summer on May 7th, but I think it'd be great to meet some of the people on the boards over dinner at some point before then. I suppose that's not very much advanced notice, and I'm probably not up to the task of organizing a $20 dinner though.

Perhaps burgers at Ray's are in order? I already intend to get over there and try one before I'm gone for three months, and company certainly wouldn't hurt.