Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know - this was last minute. We thought we'd have better attendance on Tuesday than we would on Tuesday the 23rd, and wanted to get one more dinner in before the holidays.
Probably better to wait a bit actually. Not a lot of people can make plans that quickly, especially at this time of the year.

We're in (i.e., my wife and I). I forecast that she will hate the jajangmyeon and probably won't even touch the spicy noodle, especially if she spies any mushrooms in them. She will love the sweet & sour pork and the dumplings. Do we need to bring cash?

Do any of you actually like sea cucumber? We've always had them at banquets and there are always leftovers, despite best efforts to jam them down people's throats.

1. Soup and I will try to find something for your wife. Jajang myun doesn't have any mushroom in it. It would be nice to know how much she can handle the spiciness.

2. The restaurant accepts credit cards but cash helps the payment easy. I would say that $25 per person will work.

3. I personally like sea cucumber though many people doesn't like the texture. I think that I won't be able to have an adventure for the dinner this time.

1. Soup and I will try to find something for your wife. Jajang myun doesn't have any mushroom in it. It would be nice to know how much she can handle the spiciness.

2. The restaurant accepts credit cards but cash helps the payment easy. I would say that $25 per person will work.

3. I personally like sea cucumber though many people doesn't like the texture. I think that I won't be able to have an adventure for the dinner this time.

Don't worry about my wife. She'll try anything without mushrooms but she's picky. I'm happy to try their sea cucumbers. I haven't had them in years. Maybe I'll like them now (but I doubt it).

Are you going to plan the menu again? (hint, hint)...I can stop by and pick up a menu.

Depending on the date for the January Vietnamese dinner, I might be in. And I love Catharine's idea about Hong Kong Palace as well. Unfortunately, making it to early dinners in the 'burbs is always a day-of decision for me, due to work, but count me as a "hopefully yes" for both.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

Jang Won Ban Jum, Korean-Chinese in Annandale, VA TOMORROW Tuesday December 16th, 7:00 pm

Coordinators: Soup and Grover

Yet another in the series of Korean-themed $20 Tuesdays hosted by Grover, this time co-hosted with Soup.

Soup

Grover

Escoffier

DanielK

TheMatt

Ericandblueboy +1

Wednesday January 7th (tentative), 7pm, Four Sisters (Vietnamese), Merrifield, VA

Coordinator: Tweaked

Checking out the new digs for the old favorite (which used to be called Huong Que, but is now officially named as the English translation Four Sisters)

Tweaked

DanielK

TheMatt

Scott Johnston

cucas87

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

Thursday, January 29th, 7pm, Hong Kong Palace (Sichuan Chinese), Seven Corners

Coordinator: catharine

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

DanielK

TheMatt

grover

Please make a reservation. It will be much better if we can get a room so we can talk about the food.

Thanks

Don,

I've made a reservation for DR.COM @ 7pm for 12/16. I asked for the room to the side and they said ok.

See you tomorrow.

Soup

Great event Jang Won Ban Jum last night. Thanks to Grover for organizing and Thanks for all the folks who showed up on a wet cold night.

We had the following dishes (not in the order it was served).

- Dae Gi Tang Su Yuk (korean take on sweet and sour pork)

- Khan Pung Sae Woo (Fried shrimp with garlic and pepper sauce) (really good with nice heat)

- Boo Chu Jahp Chae (Beef, leeks green pepper with soy served with steamed buns)

- Nu Reung Gi Tang (Deep fried rice with Seafood and veggie)

- Three kinds of cold dishes (shrimp and cucumber with chinese mustard dressing, jelly fish salad, and I think slice tongue but not sure)

- Jaeng Ban Ja Jang (Jan Jan Mein with lot of seafood and real jalepeno heat, really liked it)

- Fried dumplings

All the dishes were good to really good. The portions were huge. My favorite dish by far was the fried shrimp with garlic and pepper sauce. But the Nu Reung Gi Tang and the sliced tongue was really good as well.

A solid korean chinese place.

Soup

PS looking forward to the next tuesday event.

We had the following dishes (not in the order it was served).

- Dae Gi Tang Su Yuk (korean take on sweet and sour pork)

- Khan Pung Sae Woo (Fried shrimp with garlic and pepper sauce) (really good with nice heat)

- Boo Chu Jahp Chae (Beef, leeks green pepper with soy served with steamed buns)

- Nu Reung Gi Tang (Deep fried rice with Seafood and veggie)

- Three kinds of cold dishes (shrimp and cucumber with chinese mustard dressing, jelly fish salad, and I think slice tongue but not sure)

- Jaeng Ban Ja Jang (Jan Jan Mein with lot of seafood and real jalepeno heat)

- Fried dumplings

Real interesting to try. Definitely Chinese food with a twist. I've had the Korean/Chinese sweet and sour pork before. The sauce is very different, the color of honey as opposed to red/orange sauce. The shrimp is kind of a kung pao but with almost a sweet & sour sauce of the red/orange type. The beef/leeks was excellent. The fried ricecake with seafood was another solid dish. The only thing I didn't like was the jelly fish salad, which really lacked flavor. The other things on the cold platter included 5 spice beef and 1,000 year old eggs. Overall, I think the prices are higher than the same items in a Chinese restaurant (but cheap compared to The Source). 7 of us with tax and tip (but no drinks) stuffed ourselves for about $25 per person.

A chicken tasting was suggested.....Bon Chon vs. Pollo Loco vs A&J vs. Crisp & Juicy.....

Recipe for guaranteed success for a group Korean dinner:

1. Ask Grover to pick the restaurant
  2. Invite your DR.com friends
  3. Have her order for everyone
  4. Enjoy!

Thank you, it was my pleasure. I am glad everyone enjoyed the food. As Eric mentioned, the jellyfish was a bit bland. The chef didn't add enough vinegar and garlic. I tried to order various food which DR members hadn't had before.

Following photos are the dishes from the dinner (we missed the Jajang Myun):

Fried Dumplings

DSC00016.jpg

Nu Reung Gi Tang (Deep fried rice with Seafood and veggie)

DSC00020.jpg

Khan Pung Sae Woo (Fried shrimp with garlic and pepper sauce)

DSC00021.jpg

Boo Chu Jahp Chae (Beef, Chives, with soy sauce served with steamed buns)

DSC00023.jpg

Three kinds of cold dishes (shrimp and cucumber with chinese mustard dressing, jelly fish salad, and five-spiced beef)

DSC00018.jpg

Dae Gi Tang Su Yuk (Korean take on sweet and sour pork)

DSC00022.jpg

New year, new list of

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

Wednesday January 7th, 7pm, Four Sisters (Vietnamese), Merrifield, VA

Checking out the new digs for the old favorite (which used to be called Huong Que, but is now officially named as the English translation Four Sisters)

Tweaked

DanielK

TheMatt

Scott Johnston

cucas87

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

aaronsinger

StephenB

LuvTeddyBears8

Fun Guy

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

DanielK

TheMatt

grover

StephenB

Fun Guy (Ray LaSala) and I (Loretta Chi) will attend the Four Sisters event.

New year, new list of

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Tweaked

DanielK

TheMatt

Scott Johnston

cucas87

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

aaronsinger

StephenB

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

DanielK

TheMatt

grover

StephenB

I plan on being at one or the other of these two Tuesdays (depending on when I go/return from the middle East), so please put me and Grover down as tentative for both. I think StephenB should get the ordering assignment for Hong Kong Palace as he seems to have a certain empathy with Melanie the owner (I would say je ne sais quoi, but I don't know what it is :P ) .

What is the chance of an upcoming Tuesday being at a non-Asian restaurant (I ask b/c I'm allergic to soy, sesame and nuts)?

Pick a place that is worthy of a $20 Tuesday that you know is allergen-friendly, pick a date that works for you, and post it!

Please take note that neither of the upcoming events is actually ON a Tuesday...
Tuesday in this case is being used in the generic sense of $20 Tuesdays (which can occur any day of the week..in which case they become honorary Tuesdays unless they fall on Thursday, in which case they become temporary honorary Tuesdays so that when the $20 Tuesday event ends we can return to the regularly scheduled day of the week (DOTW) which is already in progress.

New year, new list of

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Tweaked

DanielK

TheMatt

Scott Johnston

cucas87

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

aaronsinger

StephenB

LuvTeddyBears8

Fun Guy

Due to some emergency dental issues I will not be able to attend. and since I have been out of town for the past several weeks there is no reservation. Sorry, I was unaware that I had been nominated "coordinator" on this and haven't been following DR over the holidays.

But party on without me.

New year, new list of

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS!

Coordinator: ??? Can someone volunteer to make a reservation, or even better, since we're 16 people, arrange a special menu?

website, DR.com topic

DanielK

TheMatt

Scott Johnston

cucas87

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

aaronsinger

StephenB

LuvTeddyBears8

Fun Guy

ema+1

Escoffier

grover

website, DR.com topic

catharine

MBK

Ericandblueboy +1

DanielK

TheMatt

grover

StephenB

Escoffier

grover

Tuesday, February 17th, 7pm, Meaza (Ethiopian), Seven Corners

website, DR.com topic

catharine

rkduggins

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK

I just made a reservation for 4 Sisters dinner under DR.com. It doesn't mean that I am going to be a coordinator but I realized that making a reservation was a bit urgent. I took a look at the menu. They have a family style menu for 10 people and I would like to tweak some of dishes. If Lilai is available for us on that day, maybe we can get a great help from her.

I just made a reservation for 4 Sisters dinner under DR.com. It doesn't mean that I am going to be a coordinator but I realized that making a reservation was a bit urgent. I took a look at the menu. They have a family style menu for 10 people and I would like to tweak some of dishes. If Lilai is available for us on that day, maybe we can get a great help from her.

That's all we needed the "coordinator" to do. I'll bring a list of names to check off as we arrive, and we'll all contribute towards dish choices. If you (or someone else) knows some of the management or wait staff, saying hi on the way in can only help...

I think that's a perfect idea. The menu is daunting for someone who isn't intimately familiar with Vietnamese cuisine. Thank goodness the multi-cultural Grover is. We have 15 people signed up, so the dinner for 10 should be a good start, and we can take it from there. It's an opportunity to try a lot of different stuff. Where they offer a choice on the pre-fixe dinner, my votes are: 2,2,1,2,1,2,1,1.

And I wonder if we can add the Hot Pot, which looks scrumptious.