• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

REMINDER: $20 MONDAY:

Space is still available! Post here or PM me to be added to the list

Monday 12/18, 7p, Bob's 88 Shabu Shabu (Rockville)

no karaoke

deangold +1

legant

DanielK

porcupine

xcanuck +1

DC in DC

eating out +2

MBK

Scott Johnston

NCPinDC

cucas87

purplesachi +1

StephenB

synaesthesia

LuvTeddyBears8 +1

Please bring $25 cash for the dinner, plus cash for any drinks.

I know this might be too late, but does anyone still have space for two people (me and the +1) in their car from the metro to bob's tonight? If not, it's no big deal - I'm not using crutches so I should be totally fine to walk there if necessary.

thanks!

It's less than a half mile - a 2 minute drive. I'm sure one of the cars could make a second run if we overload!

Here are the posters whom have asked for rides: Dean Gold and I should be able to handle all of you, please let me know if you have changed your mind or are not on the list, I am happy to make a second trip if needed or if someone runs late: if there are any problems. Lots of rides back to the metro, virginia, or the surrounding area.

Remember 6:45 PM at the Rockville Metro

Scott & Dean & Kay Driving

Riders

Legant

cucas87

synaesthesia

DanielK

Purplesachi +1

REMINDER: $20 WEDNESDAY

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me for updates.

Wednesday 12/20, 7p, Eamonn's (Alexandria) website

mdt

Antonio Burrell

synaesthesia

legant

Only four?! There was all that talk about something other than a Tuesday and something in VA. There is still time...

If there is enough interest, Grover and I are thinking about doing another Korean $20 dinner. This one at Gamasot and comprised of Korean comfort foods. Gamasot makes some of the best Seul Long Tang you've ever eaten, and the Soon Dae and panchan are exemplary. We really haven't decided on a date (of if there will even be a date) but, depending on the amount of interest, sometime in the middle of January might be good.

If there is enough interest, Grover and I are thinking about doing another Korean $20 dinner. This one at Gamasot and comprised of Korean comfort foods. Gamasot makes some of the best Seul Long Tang you've ever eaten, and the Soon Dae and panchan are exemplary. We really haven't decided on a date (of if there will even be a date) but, depending on the amount of interest, sometime in the middle of January might be good.

I might be interested. I have only a little experience with Korean food. What constitutes Korean comfort foods?

I might be interested. I have only a little experience with Korean food. What constitutes Korean comfort foods?
There are a bunch of soups and stews and meat dishes that aren't overly spicy. The kind of food you used to get when you were small and your parents wanted to share dinner with you. If you'd like some idea, this review from the Washingtonian should give you an idea.

Escoffier and I are working out a date for this. I am currently working with a couple of members to put together $20 Tuesdays revolving around special meals so keep your eye on the thread in the next couple of months!

(If anyone is interested in organizing a $20 Tuesday at their favorite affordable spot, please PM (personal message-click on my screen name to send one) or email me. I want to make sure we don't have too many events scheduled at one time.)

Escoffier and I are working out a date for this. I am currently working with a couple of members to put together $20 Tuesdays revolving around special meals so keep your eye on the thread in the next couple of months!

(If anyone is interested in organizing a $20 Tuesday at their favorite affordable spot, please PM (personal message-click on my screen name to send one) or email me. I want to make sure we don't have too many events scheduled at one time.)

So there would be no $20 Tuesday Dinner in January? It is a mid-second week of January and I don't hear anything from you. I understand that you were busy for organizing l'academy dinner...... :lol:

Anybody and everybody, at any time, is free to post and suggest a place for getting together for a mid-week cheap dinner (Cheap. As in you know that last $20 bill you have in your wallet? That is all you're gonna need. Really. And you may even get change back. That kind of cheap.) Hillvalley's got plenty on her plate at the moment, so to speak, (and DanielK deserves a big thanks for his great job of keeping track of the recent outings) so if anybody else has any suggestions, let's hear them!

I would like to know who would like to come to a $20 Tuesday Dinner at Mandu restaurant on 6:30 PM Feb 19th (President day) or 20th.

Please post the date you prefer.

I don't currently have plans for either day, but the 20th is safer (since even if I go out of town for the weekend, I'll definitely be back for Tuesday).

Pardon this perhaps ignorant question, but is soy sauce as present an ingredient in Korean cooking as it is in Chinese or Japanese cuisine (ie most sauces, glazes, dressings)?

No, it isn't an ignorant question but it can be easily ignored by most people. :lol:

Yes, soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper and garlic are mostly used for Korean cooking.

Ashley, I would like to know if you are also allergic to soy bean. Then I can give you a correct list of what you can eat from Mandu's menu. If you are allergic to soy sauce only Escoffier's answer is correct and I can add more for you as follows:

All appetizers except San Juk without soy dipping sauce

All salads

No noodle and noodle soup dishes (I will ask the chef to confirm, though)

Entrees (bibimbop, dolsot bibimbop, kimchi chige, kimchi bokumbop and yook ge jang)