Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Though it would be nice for everyone who is planning on going to post here, so we can get an accurate headcount for when we check in. This is not a terribly large restaurant...

True.

Plan is to meet at El Chalan at 7p.

This is the list for Thursday 7pm at El Chalan so far. Please post if there are changes or additions, but also feel free to just show up even if you haven't posted!

mdt

DanielK

Scott Johnston

DC in DC

StephenB

shogun

ustreetguy

sshorter

porcupine +1 (maybe)

jm chen +1 (maybe)

This is the list for Thursday 7pm at El Chalan so far. Please post if there are changes or additions, but also feel free to just show up even if you haven't posted!

mdt

DanielK

Scott Johnston

DC in DC

StephenB

shogun

ustreetguy

sshorter

porcupine +1 (maybe)

jm chen +1 (maybe)

I would consider calling El Chalan if the party gets any bigger than this just so they don't get blindsided.

I would consider calling El Chalan if the party gets any bigger than this just so they don't get blindsided.

That was indeed my intent of posting the headcount.

And I guess this answers the question as to whether there's something above hammerhead. 1000 posts! Shouldn't you be Sperm Whale or something, now?

Not to mention 'where'! Anybody have any candidates to put forth?

How about Jan 10 at Dino? Dean has made a very nice offer of giving us the early-bird menu at $20/person, and at any time of the evening if we want to go on a Tuesday. I haven't said anything yet because I'm not free 'til the 10th. If you're interested, stay tuned; I'll make another announcement on this thread sometime early in the new year.

Notes and disclaimers: the $20 early bird menu will not include drinks, tax and tip; check out http://dino-dc.com/menu/dino_sera.pdf for the menu. This will be an informal event in the spirit of $20 Tuesdays, open to all, no preregistration required and no prepayment accepted. Dean has asked, however, that if we accept this offer we give him a preliminary headcount one day in advance so the kitchen doesn't get slammed (a very reasonable request). The restaurant can accomodate 20 in the private dining room upstairs (if I understood Dean's message correctly).

How about Jan 10 at Dino?  Dean has made a very nice offer of giving us the early-bird menu at $20/person, and at any time of the evening if we want to go on a Tuesday.  I haven't said anything yet because I'm not free 'til the 10th.  If you're interested, stay tuned; I'll make another announcement on this thread sometime early in the new year.

Notes and disclaimers: the $20 early bird menu will not include drinks, tax and tip; check out http://dino-dc.com/menu/dino_sera.pdf  for the menu.  This will be an informal event in the spirit of $20 Tuesdays, open to all, no preregistration required and no prepayment accepted.  Dean has asked, however, that if we accept this offer we give him a preliminary headcount one day in advance so the kitchen doesn't get slammed (a very reasonable request).  The restaurant can accomodate 20 in the private dining room upstairs (if I understood Dean's message correctly).

I believe the Cleveland Park list serv is planning a happy hour there that night. It might be too much for such a small place!

Jennifer

I believe the Cleveland Park list serv is planning a happy hour there that night.  It might be too much for such a small place!

Jennifer

d'oh! well, perhaps the week after. Thanks for the heads-up. Of course, if anyone else wants to organize it for a sooner Tuesday, please don't wait for me, but pm me for more details.

d'oh!  well, perhaps the week after.  Thanks for the heads-up.  Of course, if anyone else wants to organize it for a sooner Tuesday, please don't wait for me, but pm me for more details.

That is also Restaurant Week and on that thread Dean said Dino is participating. The Clevelnd Park listserv group might want to reconsider their plans, too.

That is also Restaurant Week and on that thread Dean said Dino is participating.  The Clevelnd Park listserv group might want to reconsider their plans, too.

The list serve group is fixed on the 10th so we will grin and bear it. But you guys are welcome either the week before or the week after after RW.

Hi all... I wonder if anybody would be interested in doing a Twenty Dollar Tuesday at Bombay Curry Company? 

Just throwing it out for consideration....

I was about to ask the same thing as I will be at services at Arlington National Cemetary and thought some curry would help me restore and warm up. The Website is here.

It was a good dinner at Bombay Curry Company yesterday evening. Just the three of us, mdt, crackers and I.

We started off with Bhel Puri, which is a spicey cold dish of puffed rice, spices with mint chutney and Shammi Kabab which are little spiced ground beef and lentil patties with a yogurt sauce. Both were really good.

crackers had the vegetarian thali which is a combination of salad, two vegetables of the day, lentils, cucumber raita, rice, and Naan. Looked good, we'll have to wait for crackers to chime in with her impression.

mdt had the rogan josh which is a traditional lamb curry. I tasted a bit and it was really good ( a few pieces of gristle in the meat though)

I had the butter chicken which is chunks of tandoori chicken in a curried tomato sauce. The pieces of chicken were all white meat and the curry sauce was excellent.

For sides, we had an order of the kadai chole, hot and spicy chick peas in tomato sauce and the saag paneer which is curried spinach with Indian cottage cheese.

With a half dozen Kingfishers thrown in, the tab came to about $30/each.

I wish would could get more attendance at these Tuesday/Thursday things. TemptAsian would be a great venue for one because it is very difficult to spend more than about $15/each as they have no beer or wine to ruin the budget.

I wish would could get more attendance at these Tuesday/Thursday things. 

Have something conveniently located on the Red Line in DC and I'll be there. Well, I did miss El Chalan, but barring any unexpected schedule shifts, that won't repeat. I do want to explore the cheaper side of the area.

crackers had the vegetarian thali which is a  combination of salad, two vegetables of the day, lentils, cucumber raita, rice, and Naan. Looked good, we'll have to wait for crackers to chime in with her impression.

My two vegetable dishes were the vegetarian curry and the roasted eggplant dish. Everything hit the spot. Nothing crawled off the plate. Hint: if you don't want to share your meal with mdt or JG, be sure to order the vegetarian combo - they won't even look at it, much less ask for a taste. :)

Edited by crackers