Corduroy Dinner for DR.com Members

hillvalley

Our next gastronomical adventure will be at DR.com favorite Corduroy on Tuesday, February 28th. We have room for 35 people. The cost is per person and includes tax and tip.

The meal will consist of 5 Courses, plus hors d'Oeuvres

$68 inclusive dinner only

$118 inclusive with wine pairing

mdt will be taking the organizational reigns on this one so you need to pm him to let him know if you would like to join us. As usual, we will use the lottery system.

You have until 5:00 pm Feb 2nd to let him know if you would like your name to be put into the lottery. We will announce the winners on Feb. 3rd. The event is open to DonRockwell.com members and one guest. Lurkers are encouraged to register and put their name into the lottery.

If you have any questions please PM me or mdt.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are coming in fast and furious.

A couple of people have sent me emails noting that they had problems sending PMs. PMs are better, but also realize that there is plenty of time to get your name on the list.

Off to the gym!

In case others are wondering, the menu has not yet been determined. I have asked Chef Power to create an interesting menu for us since many of us have been there many, many times. As in some past events then menu will be kept secret until the night of the dinner.

Keep those PMs coming! See some of you all at NB...

In case others are wondering, the menu has not yet been determined.  I have asked Chef Power to create an interesting menu for us since many of us have been there many, many times.  As in some past events then menu will be kept secret until the night of the dinner.

Keep those PMs coming!  See some of you all at NB...

If we should happen to manage to make the lottery it will be our initial outing...I'm sure that a lot of tasty, interesting courses will be served. I keep reading scallops...I love scallops... :lol:

Here is the list of people that I have for the lottery so far. Please check to make sure that your name appears (with a +1 if applicable).

Remember there is still plenty of time to get your name on the list. Just send me a PM.

MBK +1

cucas87

RaisaB +1

crackers +1

Skysplitter

DanielK +1

jjshyne +1

porcupine +1

Roo

Principia +1

zoramargolis +1

Tweaked

Billy DeLion +1

catherine

Barbara +1

MeMc

ctay122 +1

bilrus

agm +1

Pappy +1

B.A.R. +1

gnatharobed +1

Biotech +1

Jlock +1

clayrae +1

lackadaisi +1

Connave

Scott Johnston

NCPinDC

Shogun

JPW +1

VandyHoo +1

demvtr +1

escoffier +1

gary tanigawa

ustreetguy +1

cooter +1

v.h. +1

rvanrens +1

dcdavidm +1

babka +1

moniquedc +1

NewFoodie +1

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Pete +1

StephenB

silentbob +1

crazeegirl +1

MrPorcupine +1

Buckinghamilton +1

crescentfresh +1

black sheep +1

MMM +1

scottreitz

JLK +1

giuinha

butternut +1

Edited by mdt

As you all can see from the list above interest in the dinner as been tremendous. In response to this Chef Power has decided to close the restaurant for our event! What does this mean for us, other than a great meal? More seats! We will now be able to accommodate 56 people for the dinner.

Dinner is going to start promptly at 7pm. The bar will be open for those folks arriving early.

There is still time to send me a PM to get on the list. So come on and get registered, if you are not, and send me a note.

P.S. I am also working on a surprise... :lol:

Just because I'm too pissed off at co-workers to want to do anything constructive with my remaining minutes on the job...

My quick count shows 79 on the list.  :huh:

More entries are in my mailbox so we are now well over 80... :lol:

The list has been updated upthread so be sure that you are on it if you think you should be. The last time to submit a PM is 5pm on Thursday Feb. 2nd. The plan is to post the list with lottery numbers late that night and then Don will post the lottery results sometime on Friday Feb. 3rd.

Back to your regularly scheduled threads...

Mike,I really,really think you shuld close it out already. :huh:

I second this motion...we have a quorum... :)

Nice try, but it closes at 5pm on Thursday the 2nd.

BTW, we are now up to 99 members (and thier +1 guests) on the list. :lol:

Edited by mdt

Nice try, but it closes at 5pm on Thursday the 2nd.

BTW, we are now up to 99 members (and thier +1 guests) on the list.  :lol:

Makes me think I should throw my hat into the ring!

I've never been to Corduroy. I have reservations for 2/11, but since I'm on the list for Maestro on 2/8, I figure I should exercise a little restraint and push my Corduroy date back a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't see a website that lists menus, so I don't know how what I'd get at dinner on my own (OK, with my +1) as a mere Rockweiler on a Saturday night, as opposed to joining the in-crowd at the group dinner on a "work night" aside from the wonderful camaraderie of fellow Rockweilers.

Can anyone enlighten me . . . preferably before the deadline?

I asked the same question re: the menu for the Corduroy event. I even offered to keep its contents to myself, but was told 'no dice.'

With all due respect, I understand that some people like surprises, but where my $$ is involved, I'd much rather see a menu first. I'm sure there are those of you who will read this and think "well, just stay home then," but I really would like to participate in the event AND have at least a general sense of what's on tap, should I be offered a seat.

I asked the same question re: the menu for the Corduroy event.  I even offered to keep its contents to myself, but was told 'no dice.' 

With all due respect, I understand that some people like surprises, but where my $$ is involved, I'd much rather see a menu first.  I'm sure there are those of you who will read this and think "well, just stay home then," but I really would like to participate in the event AND have at least a general sense of what's on tap, should I be offered a seat.

I was asking this question myself recently. There were a number of good answers given as to why menus are, in most cases, a surprise. Perhaps the one that struck me the most was: "Chef will likely want to prepare the dishes using ingredients he/she finds to be the most perfect on that given day. He/She won't know what that is now."

I don't want to know ahead of time that scallops are going to be on the menu and then the only scallops Tom Power can get his hands on that day happen to suck. I'll thank him for passing them by.

I asked the same question re: the menu for the Corduroy event.  I even offered to keep its contents to myself, but was told 'no dice.' 

With all due respect, I understand that some people like surprises, but where my $$ is involved, I'd much rather see a menu first.  I'm sure there are those of you who will read this and think "well, just stay home then," but I really would like to participate in the event AND have at least a general sense of what's on tap, should I be offered a seat.

Well there is no menu to discuss at this point, but you can be assured of a wonderful meal. :lol:

The new and ever growing list...

MBK +1

cucas87

RaisaB +1

crackers +1

Skysplitter

DanielK +1

jjshyne +1

porcupine +1

Roo

Principia +1

zoramargolis +1

Tweaked

Billy DeLion +1

catherine

Barbara +1

MeMc +1

ctay122 +1

bilrus

agm +1

Pappy +1

B.A.R. +1

gnatharobed +1

Biotech +1

Jlock +1

clayrae +1

lackadaisi +1

Connave

Scott Johnston

NCPinDC

Shogun

JPW +1

VandyHoo +1

demvtr +1

escoffier +1

gary tanigawa

ustreetguy +1

cooter +1

v.h. +1

rvanrens +1

dcdavidm +1

babka +1

moniquedc +1

NewFoodie +1

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Pete +1

StephenB

silentbob +1

crazeegirl +1

MrPorcupine +1

Buckinghamilton +1

crescentfresh +1

black sheep +1

MMM +1

scottreitz +1

JLK +1

giuinha

butternut +1

ScotteeM +1

Giancarlo Buonarotti +1

eating out

Edited by mdt

Hmm, I misread where it said we won't get to see if beforehand. I assumed so (and we know what assuming does boys and girls!) because I know I'll have to drop if there's alot of shellfish on the menu. I'd have a hard time putting forth my $$ only to find out *there* that I couldn't eat half of what's being offered :lol:

Just my .02. This dilemma will probably be solved for me by the lottery anyway :huh:

Hmm, I misread where it said we won't get to see if beforehand. I assumed so (and we know what assuming does boys and girls!) because I know I'll have to drop if there's alot of shellfish on the menu. I'd have a hard time putting forth my $$ only to find out *there* that I couldn't eat half of what's being offered  :lol:

Just my .02. This dilemma will probably be solved for me by the lottery anyway  :huh:

So I guess now may not be the best time to say that this is going to be 5 courses of offal? :)

Seriously though, we have had other events where the exact menu was not known and they have worked out very well. We will let folks know about the types of items on the menu. From that we can determine if there are any food issues and if you still want to attend. You can rest assured that you will not be blindly spending your money.

If you have specific questions please feel free to contact me by PM.

P.S. We are up to 58 members (103 people total with their +1s) on the list!

Please verify that you are present on the list above before we conduct the lottery.

Edited by mdt

So I guess now may not be the best time to say that this is going to be 5 courses of offal?  :lol:

Seriously though, we have had other events where the exact menu was not known and they have worked out very well.  We will let folks know about the types of items on the menu.  From that we can determine if there are any food issues and if you still want to attend.  You can rest assured that you will not be blindly spending your money.

If you have specific questions please feel free to contact me by PM.

P.S.  We are up to 58 members (103 people total with their +1s) on the list!

Please verify that you are present on the list above before we conduct the lottery.

Let it Rip!

So I guess now may not be the best time to say that this is going to be 5 courses of offal?  :lol:

Seriously though, we have had other events where the exact menu was not known and they have worked out very well.  We will let folks know about the types of items on the menu.  From that we can determine if there are any food issues and if you still want to attend.  You can rest assured that you will not be blindly spending your money.

I want to back up what mdt has said and expand on the point a bit more.

I have never organized an event where the menu was exactly the same as the one I received ahead of time from the chef. Ever. As mdt pointed out, chefs often use the best quality they can find for our dinners and therefor do not know what will be available ahead of time.

Every dinner has had someone who for dietary, religious or squeamish (sp?) reasons has concerns about the menu. When they let me, or in this case mdt, know we work with the chef to ensure the diner will enjoy the meal without having to rush to the hospital afterwards. We do not ask chefs to make major changes in the menu to accomidate one person but they have all gone above and beyond what I would have asked to accomidate the diner. Heck, there was even a seafood entree at Ray's the Steaks! :huh:

Finally, you really have no idea how much time mdt has already and will continue to put into this event. One of the major destressers in my life right now is remembering the mdt is dealing with this event. I know that when I am organizing a menu it is a relief that there is at least one area, the menu, that I do not have to worry about. Chef Power knows his audience, is reading this thread, and putting more thought and effort into our menu than he should. If there was ever a chef who you should trust to provide great food that won't freak you out too much, it is Chef Power.

Instead of worrying that their may be something on the menu you do not like, take it as an opportunity to try something you would not normally order. With meals this large it will only be a few bites and you never know what you may learn to love. And if you hate it, I promise someone at your table will finish it for you.

Instead of worrying that their may be something on the menu you do not like, take it as an opportunity to try something you would not normally order.  With meals this large it will only be a few bites and you never know what you may learn to love.  And if you hate it, I promise someone at your table will finish it for you.

Thank you Gillian

You willing to put money on that?

Shellfish, to my minds, includes lobster, clams, oysters, shrimip, mussels, scallops, crabs.

And I'm only willing to put money on it if my name comes up in the lottery.

But I guess the larger point is that the chef should not exclude any food category from consideration for the menu simply because one person on the list of potential diners is allergic to that category.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Instead of worrying that their may be something on the menu you do not like, take it as an opportunity to try something you would not normally order.  With meals this large it will only be a few bites and you never know what you may learn to love.  And if you hate it, I promise someone at your table will finish it for you.

If I can eat a whole scallop..... :lol:

MBK +1

cucas87

RaisaB +1

crackers +1

Skysplitter

DanielK +1

jjshyne +1

porcupine +1

Roo +1

Principia +1

zoramargolis +1

Tweaked

Billy DeLion +1

catherine

Barbara +1

MeMc +1

ctay122 +1

bilrus

Pappy +1

B.A.R. +1

gnatharobed +1

Biotech +1

Jlock +1

clayrae +1

lackadaisi +1

Connave

Scott Johnston

NCPinDC +1

Shogun

JPW +1

VandyHoo +1

demvtr +1

escoffier +1

gary tanigawa

ustreetguy +1

cooter +1

v.h. +1

rvanrens +1

dcdavidm +1

babka +1

moniquedc +1

NewFoodie +1

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Pete +1

StephenB

silentbob +1

crazeegirl +1

MrPorcupine +1

Buckinghamilton +1

crescentfresh +1

black sheep +1

MMM +1

scottreitz +1

JLK +1

giuinha

butternut +1

ScotteeM +1

Giancarlo Buonarotti +1

eating out

sashorter

eoksala +1

MsEB +1

rbh

eta: The list keeps growing...

Edited by mdt

MBK +1

cucas87

RaisaB +1

sashorter

eoksala +1

MsEB +1

rbh

eta: The list keeps growing...

Pardon me for asking what may turn out to be a stupid question (I'm known for doing that and getting really strange answers), but why can't this be limited to the first 30 or 56 or whatever respondents and then a second dinner planned for another time? All of these PMs have a datestamp, why can't that be used? Somehow the idea of collecting names, drawing names out of a hat (or the electronic equivalent) and then having a bunch of disappointed people doesn't sound like a very organized or nice way to do things (especially when those disappointed people show up at your house with pitchforks and torches and ropes and things that generate blunt force trauma).

Seems to me this becomes a logistical nightmare (and if a number of the same people "win" the dining lottery, the possibility of charges of favoritism thrown about by the sore "losers"... :lol: . I realize the lottery is totally random, but you know how paranoid some people are). Now, I'm sure that I'm going to be one of the lucky ones but what if you've scrambled to be one of the lucky ones three or four times and missed everytime? The way my luck runs, I wouldn't win if there were only two entrants and there was space for five.

Pardon me for asking what may turn out to be a stupid question (I'm known for doing that and getting really strange answers), but why can't this be limited to the first 30 or 56 or whatever respondents and then a second dinner planned for another time?  All of these PMs have a datestamp, why can't that be used?  Somehow the idea of collecting names, drawing names out of a hat (or the electronic equivalent) and then having a bunch of disappointed people doesn't sound like a very organized or nice way to do things (especially when those disappointed people show up at your house with pitchforks and torches and ropes and things that generate blunt force trauma).

I hope I can explain this adequately, and I hope others with more authority will jump in with additional (or more correct) info.

This was the general thinking behind the lottery system (as opposed to first come, first served):

(and I quote DonRocks - see the 2941 Waterfall Room dinner thread)

"It doesn't seem fair that people who can't be on the computer as this message is posted are shut out of the dinner, so everyone who gets their PMs to HillValley by tomorrow, Friday, at 5 PM will receive an equal chance to attend. If we somehow go over 40 people by then (I can't imagine we will, but you never know), then we'll have to institute a lottery system for fairness."

Basically, not everyone is able to be online when these things are announced so the lottery system was instituted to keep it fair and give everyone who is interested an equal chance to attend. It is up to individuals who may have been selected for recent events to decide if they want to sit one out, but that is certainly not expected or required.

Hope this makes sense. I think the system is a very good one since there are no paid staff to organize or keep track of who's gone to what and who should get priority next time, etc....

And, as has been said before, there are plenty of informal events, happy hours, 'on a whim', picnics, $20 Tuesdays, Korean dinners :lol: , that are open to everyone.

As someone who works for a company who blocks all websites that are obviously not work related, I can say that I am very happy that we don't do this on a first come first serve basis. Luck has nothing to do with winning or losing the lottery. The laws of probability eventually win out and if you enter enough of these things, you're bound to win sometime.

Edited by V.H.

[opens can of worms]

Goldenticket did a nice job explaining the basics behind why we use the lottery system. It has evolved and changed with each event until Don and I found a system we think is fair, allows the most people to participate and keeps the least amount of irate PM's from our inbox. With some restaurants we have tried to do a second night but that has not been possible. In the past we used the manner you suggested and well, to put it plainly, it was a disaster. I am still in therapy dealing with the whole nightmare.

As the person who usually is dealing with this I can assure you that this is actually a much easier, not to mention fair, way to decide who comes to the dinner. I do not have the time, desire, nor sanity to keep track of who goes to what event and if it's their turn again. It should be noted that we do not tell people that they cannot attend an event if they were at the previous one.

I personally would encourage those who get to go to one event to keep their name out of the lottery for the next event so that we can get as many members involved as possible. But that's just me, not an official policy of the board.

Is there one system that will please everyone every time? Nope. Am I going to try and find one? Nope. We found one that works and we are going to stick to it.

We have more new members than ever and I strongly encourage you to join us for a dinner, happy hour or informal gathering. For the most part, give or take a member or two (and me at an event that is on a school night before I have had a glass of wine), you will find that we are friendly, happy, good food luvin, wine drinkin folks who don't really care what you do for a living or what political party you belong to. In this city that is really saying something.

One of the main reasons Don created this board was to give us a place to find other people who understand food like we do and socialize together. I can't speak for anyone else, although I am sure I am not alone when I say that many of the most important people in my life are from this board.

So that's the long winded, sappy version of why we do it the way we do. We are going to stick with it for now. I hope that answers your question :lol:

[/closes can of worms]

[opens can of worms]

Goldenticket did a nice job explaining the basics behind why we use the lottery system. 

Whole bunch of good explanation deleted in the interest of space savings...

[/closes can of worms]

A fine explanation and one that makes a lot of sense. As there are a lot of new users (myself included in that somewhat wet behind the ears group), I'm always asking "why?" a habit (some would say nuisance) left over from early childhood (and there's no truth to the rumors that I'm entering my second one.....yet). Maybe the combination of your and Goldenticket's explanation should be pinned to the first page of DR.com so that you won't have to answer that question (yet again) to someone else (not that you probably don't have at least one or two other things to do). :lol:

Edited by Escoffier

We like the lottery.  Enough said!

The lottery is fair, but in retrospect, we should have probably closed the signup for this particular event a day or two ago. As the list of candidates has grown from 60 to almost 120, peoples chances of getting in have dropped down below 50%, causing everyone to slowly stew and I can't say I blame them. But live and learn, and next time we'll have an earlier cutoff date. The problem is that it's difficult to predict which events will be wildly popular and which won't, but I'm learning not to underestimate anything at this point.

Cheers,

Rocks

People do get frustrated but that is the fairest system possible.Neither Don or HillValley receive any compensation from this.What are they supposed to do? Take any nonosecond that may be left free and apply it to keeping lists and whatnots?

This board keeps growing and not everyone can or wants to go to every event. I myslef, have only been home for two of the events in almost 3 years! (incl Egullet) I have been to one event, and I was on the backup list for that. Yet I was able to get in.

But I guess there is one other option, Don could make this The Don Rockwell Society for Eating, Drinking, and all around Debauchery, charge society membership fees, and then according to your level of giving you get into the events!

Until that time, a lottery seems pretty fair and easy to me. :lol:

Edited by RaisaB

I can't speak for anyone else, although I am sure I am not alone when I say that many of the most important people in my life are from this board.

[/closes can of worms]

Peanut says -- :huh::)

But I guess there is one other option, Don could make this The Don Rockwell Society for Eating, Drinking, and all around Debauchery, charge society membership fees, and then according to your level of giving you get into the events!

Sounds familiar. :lol: