Guajillo, Wilson Boulevard in Rosslyn - Family-Owned Tex-Mex with Good Sauces

So the difference of almost a year.

Went there last week. Service was spotty while sitting at the bar - I ordered a beer that never arrived, people kind of wandering around, and at one point they started scrubbing the floor behind the bar while we were still eating, creating a pungent bleach cloud around the bar. That could all be claimed towards a night "off".

But when I arrived, I opened my menu, and there was a large bug (I am not a bug scientist, so I do not know what kind) inside my menu. I sighed, closed my menu, squashed said bug, and asked the bartender for a napkin to dispose of it, explaining to him what I'd found. Hey, it'd been over 60 degrees that day, maybe something happened...

...until we finished our meals, and another very similar bug crawled across the bar right in front of us. My friend squashed that one.

And I found out today when he got back to his hotel, he had another one riding on him.

Seriously yo - that really annoys me. I know it *happens* but the whole combination of events has left me a bit sketched out. The bartenders (they claimed there was no manager there) didn't really seem to care.

(The manager claim also was annoying, as my friend needed an itemized receipt for his expense report, and OUR FAULT we'd forgotten to ask before eating, but it'd never been a problem before. They managed to get him one, though.)

QUICK EDIT FOR CAVEATS: My chicken enchiladas with mole sauce were great. My friend loved his food too. The staff handled the crazy guy at the bar well. The staff just seemed disjointed and distracted.

(Overall I'm still seriously bothered by this, but it doesn't help that a) I had suggested the place and B) I have a severe phobia of insects when indoors, and especially ON me, that I'm getting better about it but still REALLY BUGS (heh) ME.)

Since I work in Rosslyn, we go to Guajillo once or twice a month. I can't speak to the bug problem, but I can tell you that the service is pretty terrible at all times. The food is generally good, but you sometimes get clunkers, which shouldn't hapeen in a place that has been around for all of these years.

Honestly, I'd rather see an insect than smell insecticide, and I smell insecticide and rodenticide all the time at restaurants.

I'm fine with the occasional bug. It happens. Anywhere you have lots of food sitting around, no matter what you try...

What got me was that the multiple numbers of them and apparent lack of caring. Also the fact that it's December - I am able to handle them much better in the summertime, when expected, then in December. (Though, as I noted, it was warm out this mid-December, and I guess the bugs would be more likely to want to be somewhere that STAYS warm...)

I have seen multiple stink bugs still alive in this area, even though it's quite cold. Maybe it was them? If so, they're always best left alone or sucked up by some huge vacuum.

Having said that, it's rare that Seanmike complains so it's a valid point, BUT having just dined there last Friday night and no sign of bugs (slight better service than you but could be because it was two lovely ladies) if chalk it up to bad luck ?

I have seen multiple stink bugs still alive in this area, even though it's quite cold. Maybe it was them? If so, they're always best left alone or sucked up by some huge vacuum.

Having said that, it's rare that Seanmike complains so it's a valid point, BUT having just dined there last Friday night and no sign of bugs (slight better service than you but could be because it was two lovely ladies) if chalk it up to bad luck ?

Kliman included it again in his Cheap Eats just out today. I've never dined here, so I'm torn between his review and your reports of crappy service and lots of bugs.

Kliman included it again in his Cheap Eats just out today. I've never dined here, so I'm torn between his review and your reports of crappy service and lots of bugs.

I believe goodeats was referring to the area, not the restaurant. She said she saw none in there.

Like I said, it was one visit that it happened to me...

I'd give it a shot. Honestly, the food is quite good there. It's worth it for that at least on a trial basis.

I believe goodeats was referring to the area, not the restaurant. She said she saw none in there.

Like I said, it was one visit that it happened to me...

I'd give it a shot. Honestly, the food is quite good there. It's worth it for that at least on a trial basis.

Honestly, it happened to me once, too, but I've been several times since without incident.

Hell I saw a roach once when I was having dinner with Tom Sietsema in one of the highest-rated fine dining restaurants in DC. We both just shrugged our shoulders, and said, "it happens."

Hi kirite - you misread my post. The last time I was there, I saw no bugs inside the restaurant and had fine service; my server was very attentive and answered questions I had about the menu. I enjoyed my fried plantains with sour cream and my tacos without issues. I do hope you give it a try, although parking is a bit tough around that area. I was merely pointing out that I saw a number of stinkbugs in Arlington around the time of that last post. Thanks!

Hi kirite - you misread my post. The last time I was there, I saw no bugs inside the restaurant and had fine service; my server was very attentive and answered questions I had about the menu. I enjoyed my fried plantains with sour cream and my tacos without issues. I do hope you give it a try, although parking is a bit tough around that area. I was merely pointing out that I saw a number of stinkbugs in Arlington around the time of that last post. Thanks!

You're absolutely right. I did misread your post and now plan to dine here soon.

If there's one restaurant in my rotation where I really feel like "part of the family" when I walk in, it's Guajillo.

Everyone involved in this operation, from the management to the dishwashers, are proud of their business and are truly appreciative of each of their customers. I've never had a bad experience or complaint- and I'm there several times monthly.

This isn't typical "Americanized" Tex-Mex fare, you won't find any liquid queso on the menu. The mole sauces in particular stand out, and it's a very welcome change from the "shopping-mall" Mexican restaurants I grew up with.

If you visit on a Friday, be sure to get their complimentary "white sauce" with your chips & salsa, a sour-cream based dip with a kick, only on Fridays.

Wow, the noise was overwhelming. My server was unable to hear me and brought one instead of two entrees. We ordered the shrimp and vegetable fajitas. It was OK. The shrimp were very fresh with no hint of iodine, but the veggies lacked variety. Too much zucchini and the tomatoes tasted like they were canned. But the big takeaway was the noise. Is Eventide the only quiet restaurant in the Wilson/Clarendon corridor?

It has been a while since I have seen a post here.  I stopped in for lunch on my way into DC yesterday.  I was the first person there and picked up the Taconazo which was a collection of 5 tacos (chicken, lamb, steak, fish and pork).  I wasn't a huge fan of the chicken one but all of the others were excellent.  Seeing as it worked out to 2 bucks a taco, I thought it was a killer deal.  The pork taco in particular was excellent.  Roast pork that was crispy on the outside and very soft and juicy on the inside just going to prove that if you add pork fat to something, it will taste good.

Guajillo used to be my go to Mexican place in the DC area. Now second time back after a while and it was terrible both times. I figured the first time was a fluke, but the second time confirmed it. Both of these terrible occasions was separated by 4 months. I guess I am a glutton for punishment, but the food kept me from being a glutton, or barely eating at all. My Mastiso de Puerco was incredibly dried out, without any flavor. The beans also had no flavor, the salsa was watery and also without flavor. The wife's Enchiladas were previously made or frozen and reheated. The Margarita she had was terrible, I estimate not even one shot of liquor within the huge pint glass of cheap mixer. The staff was indifferent and didn't seem to care, funny since there were about two of them for every customer in the place. Avoid at all costs. Its sad what has happened to what was once a fantastic little place. Now there seems to be no reason to hit up this stretch of Courthouse.

No wonder you didn't like any of the food.  From what you posted, you ate at 27 different places yesterday and not one of them did you like.  You ate tacos in Del Ray, Vietnamese, Thai, and Mexican in Arlington.  I'm surprised you're still walking.  So just where DO you like?  You complained about the service in almost every one of your 300 posts which makes me wonder if it's the service there or the attitude here?  Did you complain about any of these "bad" meals to the manager or owner?  Did you ask that the dishes you thought were wrong be replaced or did you just stiff the server because you didn't like the food?  

Guajillo used to be my go to Mexican place in the DC area. Now second time back after a while and it was terrible both times. I figured the first time was a fluke, but the second time confirmed it. Both of these terrible occasions was separated by 4 months. I guess I am a glutton for punishment, but the food kept me from being a glutton, or barely eating at all. My Mastiso de Puerco was incredibly dried out, without any flavor. The beans also had no flavor, the salsa was watery and also without flavor. The wife's Enchiladas were previously made or frozen and reheated. The Margarita she had was terrible, I estimate not even one shot of liquor within the huge pint glass of cheap mixer. The staff was indifferent and didn't seem to care, funny since there were about two of them for every customer in the place. Avoid at all costs. Its sad what has happened to what was once a fantastic little place. Now there seems to be no reason to hit up this stretch of Courthouse.

This and your other posts, all for a new member, are not going to give you a great deal of instant credibility:  you are quite critical of several places. The one place you do like, you added this qualifier, "This is a family run place, but they know they are making food for the Arlington crowd, so its a little dumbed down, but only a little."  I don't live in Arlington (my wife grew up there) but I didn't know food should be "dumbed down" for anyone living there.

I would just suggest tempering or balancing criticism.

I'm going to start by saying that i don't know Johnf, or joe H or escoffier for that matter, so if there's  a personal backstory here that i'm not getting i apologize, but the criticism of the post seems a bit harsh. he posted about a bunch of places recently, but he didn't say he went to all of them this weekend. and he really liked minhs. what's wrong with being critical? are people who are picky/more likely to be unimpressed than impressed not welcome to post? i just think that posting on this board can be intimidating at times because of the depth of knowledge and committment here, and that coupled with the blowback people often get from posting negative reviews dampens postings generally and negative posts in particular. And i personally find the negative posts the most helpful--if i want someone who appears to like everything, so their thumbs up is mostly meaningless, i'll read tom S's reviews :P  but the harsh critiques are more helpful in a way, because when they're impressed, its a recc worth having.

• Like 1

I'm going to start by saying that i don't know Johnf, or joe H or escoffier for that matter, so if there's  a personal backstory here that i'm not getting i apologize, but the criticism of the post seems a bit harsh.

There is no backstory that I know of, however this is a bit over the top (even for me who isn't exactly known for being gentle).  To have someone post 7 or 8 reviews, all of which are overly (maybe extremely overly) critical is a bit much.  From those posts, the poster sounds like a card carrying curmudgeon who might consider (heresy alert!!)  the last supper lousy because there wasn't enough wine and the service was mediocre.  Every one of the places he "reviewed" he found unacceptable, and the reviews weren't posted just after or the next day.  There is no chronology as to when they were visited so there is no way to compare to others experiences to set a baseline on how accurate (or inaccurate) they might be.

Ah, Taconazo, it feels like it's been forever my old friend.

Five tacos, each good to great examples of pretty classic taco varieties. First up is a lamb taco. Don't see too many of those but it has the richest flavor of the set. Next is a solid fish taco. Fried whitefish - a little on the thin side which keeps it from greatness but good overall. Topped with a traditional if slightly spicier baja sauce and some cabbage. Third is carnitas. A good size chunk of cooked then fried pork topped with pickled red onions. Meat is slightly drier than I would like but a bright tomatillo salsa brings it back nicely. Fourth is an al pastor. Less pineapple forward than many offerings so pineapple lovers be warned, traditionalists be advised. Finally, the most straightforward of the group - grilled steak chopped with onion and cilantro, lime on the side. Well executed.

The margarita on the rocks I had seemed the same as ever. A good to very good house margarita that I could drink far too many of. The tamales we started with is not something I would order again. Exterior was far too moist and the interior was dry. Not offensively bad but certainly the worst restaurant tamale I can recall in the recent past.

But Taconazo, my dear friend, I will see you again very soon.

• Like 2

The taconazo is my go to dish at Guajillo.  One of those, chips and hot salsa and the rest of my day is going to be damned good.  Likely going to skip dinner as well.  I'm usually leavin DC at lunchtime about 3 or 4 times a month.  If I want mexican it is here or taco bamba.  If I come here, I don't have to deal with the lines.

For some reason, I can never resist the urge to order the enchiladas de pato (duck confit with mole negro).... every time. Has anyone else enjoyed this dish? Any other dishes I am missing out on?

I think that's what I had the last time I went there, and yes, I like it.

I wasn't that hungry tonight, but I was craving Tex-Mex and hadn't been to Guajillo in awhile now. I walked in, took a seat at the bar, ordered a Negra Modelo, noticed this on the menu, and was overcome by curiosity:

New:::New::::New::::NEW

Rollo challenges you to take on "El Cachudo"

the biggest, baddest and hottest burro in la Casa

Filled with four types of meat, rice, beans, cheese and yummy voo-doo sauce

You finish it it's on us. That simple.

How big is it?

It's the biggest burrito I've ever seen in my life BY FAR.

Big enough so you say "Oh my GOD!" when you first see it.

Big enough so people stare when you're eating it.

Big enough so they give it to you for free if you finish it.

I won't say it's impossible, but picture a virgin having sex with John Holmes.

Cheers,

Rocks.

If you are in a competitive mood you can try and take it down at Guajillo's annual burrito eating contest this Saturday, September 19, per ARLnow.com.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2010 at 9:15 PM, DonRocks said:

I wasn't that hungry tonight, but I was craving Tex-Mex and hadn't been to Guajillo in awhile now. I walked in, took a seat at the bar, ordered a Negra Modelo, noticed this on the menu, and was overcome by curiosity:

How big is it?

It's the biggest burrito I've ever seen in my life BY FAR.

Big enough so you say "Oh my GOD!" when you first see it.
Big enough so people stare when you're eating it.
Big enough so they give it to you for free if you finish it.

I won't say it's impossible, but picture a virgin having sex with John Holmes.

Cheers,
Rocks.

This guy cleaned his plate of the entire 17” inch burrito with fixings in a little over 4 minutes.  I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 7:05 AM, dcs said:

This guy cleaned his plate of the entire 17” inch burrito with fixings in a little over 4 minutes.  I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it.

I’m convinced that competitive eaters (and I’m not sure this person is one) have some sort of dendrite and/or Schwann cell dysfunction that inhibits signals from traveling to their brain.