Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Using a non-stick pan for fish works too.
It does. If you don't want to use a non-stick, then make sure there is enough fat in the pan. I go with about a half inch of a combination of oil and butter. And seriously, thoroughly preheat the pan before putting the oil in. It does make a difference.

It does. If you don't want to use a non-stick, then make sure there is enough fat in the pan. I go with about a half inch of a combination of oil and butter. And seriously, thoroughly preheat the pan before putting the oil in. It does make a difference.
Hmm... usually I let the oil preheat as well, so I'll have to give the cold oil => hot pan trick a try!

Maybe then I can abandon development on my gravity-defying hoverfish...

Thanks!

Veggie-teen just arrived home after spending a month in Paris, lucky kid, where she celebrated her 18th birthday and subsisted primarily on baguettes and cheese while spending nights in a youth hostel. A bunch of her girlfriends came over to see her, and they were supposedly going to cook dinner, but then some of them left and V-t was too tired...

I had already made dessert. So I opened a couple of cans and put together some comestibles from the pantry and refrigerator.

Olive-oil packed tuna with capers and lemon

Gigante beans in tomato sauce

Farro salad with olives and garbanzos (leftover)

Romaine and mache salad with cuke, tomato and shredded fennel, lemon vinaigrette

Baguette and Cherry Glen fresh chevre

Brioche bread pudding with Valrhona dark chocolate*

2007 Punkt Genau sparkling gruner veltliner

*I watched Suzanne Goin make this on Martha Stewart's tv show a few days ago, and since I had 1/3 of a loaf of stale brioche in the refrigerator, I decided to try it. It was the best bread pudding I have ever made. And so simple--chunks of chocolate over the bottom of a buttered casserole. The brioche was sliced into 5 thin slices, not cubed, and spread on one side with softened sweet butter, then cut on a diagonal and laid on top of the chocolate. A custard mix was poured over:

3 whole eggs, and 3 egg yolks, a pint of cream, a cup of milk (I used buttermilk), 1/2 cup of sugar, pinch of salt, a tsp. of vanilla (I added some nutmeg and cinnamon). I let it sit for 20 minutes until the bread absorbed the custard mix, and then baked it in a water bath at 325 for 40 minutes. We ate it still a bit warm. OMG. Layers: bottom layer of melted oozy dark, dark chocolate, creamy custard, and sweet, custardy bread with a bit of toasty crunch on the top.

Beef tataki, garnished with grated ginger and grated garlic

Kinpira ingen -- green beans stir-fried with red chile pepper, then simmered in sake, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin

Hiyayakko tofu -- chilled sesame tofu, garnished with chopped honey umeboshi (pickled plum) and soy sauce

Homemade pickles

Steamed rice

Shochu. It's been a lots-of-shochu day.

All of the tomatoes we planted are ripening at the same time, and the basil is going nuts, so we are gorging on tomato salad. Tonight:

Charcoal grilled bone-in pork chops with homemade onion marmalade

Sliced tomatoes with olive oil, crunchy salt, pepper, and basil chiffonade

Corn on the cob

Pickled green beans

Mint chocolate chip ice cream while watching Mulan. :lol:

Straw and hay fettucine with pan roasted yellow cherry and red grape tomatoes, quartered artichoke hearts, and diced cherry peppers; topped with crumbled feta cheese, nicoise olives, toasted pine nuts, and basil chiffonade.

Dinner for my husband's birthday:

Ribeye steak Cook's Illustrated style, with red wine-mushroom sauce

Scalloped potatoes with truffled pecorino and thyme

Green beans almondine

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting

Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream

Saintsbury Garnet Carneros Pinot Noir 2001

Alder-planked Scottish salmon - cooked on the charcoal grill á point - "the best fish I've ever eaten," said Veggie-teen

Green beans with roasted garlic

White corn grits with fresh creamed corn

Mesclun salad with cucumber and sungold tomatoes

Jasper Hill Farm Constant Bliss

Coconut-almond macaroons

2007 Avondale Rosé

Chilled corn and avocado soup with crema and cilantro oil

Tomato, radicchio, and red onion salad with feta and sauteed peaches, drizzled with basil oil

Pan-seared halibut with cilantro-lime-chili sauce, and succotash

Honeyed goat cheese tart with pistachio crust

Herb-brined Eco-Friendly poussin, spatchcocked and charcoal grilled

Gnocchi* with crimini mushrooms in homemade marinara-- this was Veggie-teen's main and our side

Braised chard-- it was in the veg drawer and I couldn't resist

Black&blueberry cobbler with B&J vanilla ice cream

2006 La Colombaia Valpolicella Ripasso

*a new brand of packaged, uncooked potato gnocchi from Italy found at Trader Joe's today. Decent.

Soumen salad with tuna, green onions, and sliced cucumber based on this recipe. It was quite good, but between this and the tuna salad soumen off the back of the dipping sauce bottle, I feel like I'm in a terrible tuna and soumen rut.

Homemade umeboshi onigiri (rice balls stuffed with pickled plums, then wrapped in seaweed)

Edamame from a friend's garden

What'd you put on it? I've been eying these at Ecofriendly for a while now, but really have no clue what to do with goat. Do you treat it any differently than a boneless leg of lamb?

You can easily treat it like a boneless leg of lamb. I prepared mine the following way.\

Removed the meat from the 'net' and opened it. I cut the meat a bit more to open it up.

Sprinkled with S&P, added minced garlic, chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh mint, and some olive oil.

Rolled it back up and tied it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Roasted in a hot oven (450F) until ~135F at the thickest part.

Enjoy and buy more. Also don't look past the nice loin chops for a quick prep item.

What'd you put on it? I've been eying these at Ecofriendly for a while now, but really have no clue what to do with goat. Do you treat it any differently than a boneless leg of lamb?
You can easily treat it like a boneless leg of lamb. I prepared mine the following way.\

Removed the meat from the 'net' and opened it. I cut the meat a bit more to open it up.

Sprinkled with S&P, added minced garlic, chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh mint, and some olive oil.

Rolled it back up and tied it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Roasted in a hot oven (450F) until ~135F at the thickest part.

I just coated the outside of mine with olive oil and my spice rub and pan seared the outsides and then put it in a 400F oven to finish cooking. mdt's method sounds tastier, so next time I'll try it his way.

For boneless leg of lamb, I often do it butterflied on the charcoal grill after a couple of days marinating in a mix of yogurt, citrus, aromatics and herbs. The goat leg would have been good that way, too. I didn't want to wait another two days to eat it, though.

One of the best dinners I have had in a long time. I've been waiting 31 years for my sister to understand food and her time has finally come. After hitting the Union Square farmer's market and some random gourmet market in Manhattan, we came home and cooked dinner with her boyfriend.

Enjoyed outside, as the sun set, on a roof deck in Brooklyn:

Grilled salsa verde

Grilled clams with cilantro and lemon

Roasted heirloom cherry tomatoes with burrata

Grilled squash blossoms stuffed with herbed goat cheese

Grilled red and purple peppers and Japanese eggplant

Hamburgers topped with horseradish cheddar, roasted cherry tomatoes, and squash blossoms

White and dark chocolate covered strawberries and mini canoli from the Italian bakery around the corner

Elderberry soda with vodka

One of the best dinners I have had in a long time. I've been waiting 31 years for my sister to understand food and her time has finally come. After hitting the Union Square market and some random gourmet market in Manhattan, we came home and cooked dinner with her boyfriend.

Enjoyed outside, as the sun set, on a roof deck in Brooklyn:

Grilled salsa verde

Grilled clams with cilantro and lemon

Roasted heirloom cherry tomatoes with burrata

Grilled squash blossoms stuffed with herbed goat cheese

Grilled red and purple peppers and Japanese eggplant

Hamburgers topped with horseradish cheddar, roasted cherry tomatoes, and squash blossoms

White and dark chocolate covered strawberries and mini canoli from the Italian bakery around the corner

Elderberry soda with vodka

That sounds just wonderful, HV. I already (sort of) understand food, but that meal sounds like it would certainly reaffirm my faith. :lol:

I'm loving horseradish cheddar too. I don't usually choose "flavored" cheeses, but that baby is a treat, huh?

Own my own this weekend and feeling somewhat virtuous:

Brown rice with a little Dal Makhani (Trader Joe's)

Indian spiced veggie burger (also Trader Joe's), stuffed into whole wheat pita with shredded cabbage & carrots, mixed veg pickle, and SWAD cilantro chutney. (I am addicted to this chutney.)

Sliced necatarines, Fage lowfat yogurt, and a drizzle of honey.

Sparkling water.

Spring mix with multi-colored heirloom cherry tomatoes; Newman's vinaigrette

Linguine with kale-walnut pesto and shredded chicken

The tomatoes and kale were from Gardener's Gourmet. Lately I've been missing them at Eastern Market on Saturdays, getting there after they've closed up. Today I had better luck.

After a week of just being a plain-ol' lazy ass ordering in Chinese and eating Buffalo wings, I got my butt into the kitchen to make Pork Tenderloin with a Blackberry Tarragon Reduction Sauce. Roasted potatoes and pole bean on the side.
That's beautiful. I love fruit with pork, but I don't know if I've tried blackberries.

After a week of just being a plain-ol' lazy ass ordering in Chinese and eating Buffalo wings, I got my butt into the kitchen to make Pork Tenderloin with a Blackberry Tarragon Reduction Sauce. Roasted potatoes and pole bean on the side.
Do you scan these from magazines? :lol:

2747891253_3a1a382b73_b.jpg

Filet mignon with beety bordelaise and mushrooms in veal reduction

Braised swiss chard with pancetta, toasted pine nuts, and sweet carrot "diamonds"

2748724564_4c7af9a084_b.jpg

Braised Carrots a la Deangold (olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, crushed red pepper)

Pan roasted brined chicken with herb butter

Pan gravy made from homemade chicken stock and prosecco mounted with herb butter

The gravy was insanely incredible. The homemade stock really makes a difference - I've never had gravy that tasted like this before. Mmmmm... chicken...

The homemade stock really makes a difference
Always. :lol:

For tonight

Grilled baby chicken from Evensong Farm. It's marinating today in lime juice, orange juice, ground cumin & coriander, salt, pepper, and a little tequila.

tortillas

charred tomatillo & garlic salsa, with cilantro

roasted squash, corn, and baby heirloom tomatoes

Grilled baby chicken from Evensong Farm. It's marinating today in lime juice, orange juice, ground cumin & coriander, salt, pepper, and a little tequila.

Next time you are in a Latin market, look for oregano molido on the spice rack--ground Mexican oregano. Add a little bit of it to your mojos and recados (marinades/spice pastes) for sabor authentico. Seriously, ground Mexican oregano (as opposed to Greek or Italian oregano) and allspice are the unsung elements of Latin and especially Mexican cuisine that give extra depth of flavor, but unlike cumin, you don't taste them distinctly. When they are there, however, you will go "Oh yeah. That tastes more authentic."

Next time you are in a Latin market, look for oregano molido on the spice rack--ground Mexican oregano. Add a little bit of it to your mojos and recados (marinades/spice pastes) for sabor authentico. Seriously, ground Mexican oregano (as opposed to Greek or Italian oregano) and allspice are the unsung elements of Latin and especially Mexican cuisine that give extra depth of flavor, but unlike cumin, you don't taste them distinctly. When they are there, however, you will go "Oh yeah. That tastes more authentic."

I bought some Mexican oregano from Penzey's and it certainly is different than the others, especially when compared side by side.

Dinner last night was inspired by the photo on the latest Bon Appetit, Chicken Parmesan. Leftovers are going to be gooooood.

What a gorgeous weekend for eating outside, and for me eating al fresco calls for light fresh food. Friday we started the weekend with a simple but tasty tuna tartare. Saturday I took advantage of some of the beautiful fruit that was available at the Del Ray market and started with grilled nectarines on prosciutto, and then for the main crab ravioli with a savory peach sauce. The left-over crab filling worked very well as an appetizer last night and we followed with an heirloom tomato salad with lardoons of smoky bacon and chucks of Massaponax goat cheese, with a drizzle of peppery olive oil from Impruneta. It is too bad I didn't have one more day to sit and enjoy the wonder weather.

Last night was a sampling of all the farmers market bounty picked up over the last few days:

heirlooms with some fresh mozarella

a succotash of sorts with -huge- fresh lima beans and some fresh corn off the cob

grilled zucchini and yellow squash

corn on the cob - sweet and tender

grilled fresh figs (from the backyard)

a simple grilled filet of tilapia (not from the market)

dougnut peach for dessert

Mmmm, I love summer!

Cucumbers, sliced and served with Kewpie mayonnaise and miso for dipping

Yude buta to shiomomi nasu; su-miso tare: Pork shoulder, boiled with leek and sliced ginger, then cooled and sliced. Served with thinly sliced, wilted eggplants and a miso/vinegar/sesame oil sauce.

Miso-grilled goya (bitter melon)

Garlic-cucumber pickles from the neighbor

Steamed rice

Black sesame baumkuchen

Dinner last night was inspired by the photo on the latest Bon Appetit, Chicken Parmesan. Leftovers are going to be gooooood.
I feel the same way about leftover eggplant parmigiana which I ate on the front porch wedged into half of a small baguette, split and heated in the oven; sprinkled w red chile flakes.
What a gorgeous weekend for eating outside, and for me eating al fresco calls for light fresh food.
Except for the mosquitos that get five bites to my one. Can't sit outside for long, especially as light dwindles.

Quickie meals have been the theme in my house lately. Such as:

Chicken salad with potatoes and arugula, using store-bought rotisserie chicken and a homemade Dijon vinaigrette.

Honey chicken with grilled corn salad (with a homemade "BBQ" sauce of ketchup, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, and Tabasco)--I learned with this meal that grilling corn on an indoor grill pan is not such a great method. I should have either boiled the corn or roasted it in the oven.

Potsticker salad with snap peas--sadly, I didn't have time to make my own dumplings, so I used frozen. Still very tasty.

Chicken breasts sauteed with grape tomatoes, white wine, scallions, and tarragon--simple, but really yummy. Great acidity.

I'm finding that "Real Simple" magazine is a great starting point for weeknight recipes, when I don't have the time or brainpower to be creative in the kitchen. It gives me a great canvas to work with, and with a few ingredient changes/additions, I have something that's really my own.

potato leek soup

rack of lamb slivered with garlic, charcoal grilled with lemon and Greek oregano

baby spinach salad with soft-boiled egg and pork sung and a bit of vinaigrette

heaping bowl of ripe cantaloupe pieces

a gorgeous slice of Valdeón from Cheesetique

me: the Real Thing, from a can

her: extemporaneous highball of Blenheim "extra" ginger ale and Cardenal Mendoza brandy