Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Spaghetti with bolognese (made with leftover pork brascioli)

Orechiette with mushroom-marsala sauce and homemade goat cheese for Veggie-teen

Garlic toast made with Marvy Market baguette

Lettuce and mache salad with sherry vinaigrette

Homemade blueberry pie flavored with marzipan and creme de violette

NV La Volcanique Cotes du Forez

We seem to be on a pasta kick lately:

Last night:

Fettucini with royal red shrimp,* crimini mushrooms and sweet corn, in a creamy sauce based on shrimp-shell stock

2007 Dom. Marc Portaz Apremont Vin de Savoie

*these were the shrimp written about in the WaPo food section on Wednesday, purchased at BlackSalt for an astonishing $11.99 a pound. As promised, they tasted like a cross between shrimp and lobster--beyond delicious. They cook really fast, so I just added them to the sauce at the last second. Scott Weinstein, the manager of the fish market, told me that they have been selling 70-80 pounds a day since the article came out. The price will be going up, because the author of the article called Scott before the first shipment had come in, and Scott had told him a price range that he thought he would work within for smaller sized shrimp, and the author just posted the lowest price in the range. Scott felt that he had to honor the price listed in the article for the first while, but that the shrimp are larger and wholesale price he is actually paying will necessitate raising the retail price soon. These babies are seriously good, and they don't require deveining. Go get some, if you can.

post-138-1209855457_thumb.jpg

post-138-1209855210_thumb.jpg

post-138-1209855349_thumb.jpg

Kielbasa (extra smoky from Philly),ramp and cheese frittata

"Italian" potatoes, onions and bell peppers (throw them all into tin foil with evoo and whatever Italian salad dressing I have on hand)

Herb salad and campari tomatoes with a balsalmic, honey and spicy apricot mustard dressing

Fruit cobbler with fresh whipped cream

We seem to be on a pasta kick lately:

Last night:

Fettucini with royal red shrimp,* crimini mushrooms and sweet corn, in a creamy sauce based on shrimp-shell stock

2007 Dom. Marc Portaz Apremont Vin de Savoie

*these were the shrimp written about in the WaPo food section on Wednesday, purchased at BlackSalt for an astonishing $11.99 a pound. As promised, they tasted like a cross between shrimp and lobster--beyond delicious. They cook really fast, so I just added them to the sauce at the last second. Scott Weinstein, the manager of the fish market, told me that they have been selling 70-80 pounds a day since the article came out. The price will be going up, because the author of the article called Scott before the first shipment had come in, and Scott had told him a price range that he thought he would work within for smaller sized shrimp, and the author just posted the lowest price in the range. Scott felt that he had to honor the price listed in the article for the first while, but that the shrimp are larger and wholesale price he is actually paying will necessitate raising the retail price soon. These babies are seriously good, and they don't require deveining. Go get some, if you can.

After reading Zora's post this morning, I headed over to BlackSalt to get some of these Royal Reds. They are quite large for the price and like Zora mentioned, seriously good. We had them with a simple sauce made with garlic, shitake and oyster mushrooms, chives, butter, and cream and tossed with fresh fettucini. Even my husband, who is not a huge fan of shrimp, said he could tell the difference and did like them better than regular shrimp.

For dessert, chocolate croissants from Heidelberg bakery.

Sausage, Roasted Spring Onion and Fresh Mozzarella Pizza.

post-138-1209941629_thumb.jpg

I bought some gorgeous spring onions at the Alexandria West End farmers market this a.m., along with fresh mozzarella. I wound up breezing in and out of the Dupont market for sausage and got Italian pork sausage from Eco-Friendly. On the way home, we swung by The Italian Store for a hoagie, pizza dough, canelloni and pasta.

I roasted and caramelized the onions (10 minutes) in the oven at 475 degrees while the pizza stone heated for an hour. Heating the stone for a long time really made a difference, along with splitting TIS pizza dough in half and making two pies. The first pizza baked for 6 minutes and was good, but the second one that baked for 8 minutes was great. The crust could pass for pizza oven crust with a little blister.

Dessert was market strawberries macerated with orange zest, juice and sugar. Topped with whipped cream left over from last night.

Tuscan potato salad (balsamic and olive dressing)

Pierogies with smoked salmon

String beans with French's friench fried onions ;)

The first two were recipes I found online. The flavor of the potato salad was good but the purple of the balsamic and olives in the dressing made it visually unappealing to me. That didn't bother my husband, though.

I had smoked salmon I needed to use and mushroom pierogies in the freezer. I googled the two terms and found this recipe. I was a little apprehensive about the recipe, but it was delicious (and much more attractive than the potato salad). I didn't have basil, so I just used dill. Used whole milk instead of light cream. The recipe is definitely a keeper.

Charcoal-grilled, spice rubbed Eco-Friendly sirloin steak

Mozzarella di bufala with evoo and fresh basil for Veggie-teen

Pan-fried spiced new potatoes

Grilled asparagus

Leftover mushroom barley risotto

Stewed rhubarb

2005 Vega Sindoa cabernet-tempranillo

Last night was buffalo ribeye (brough to temp in a low oven, then seared over high heat), roasted asparagus (with salt, pepper, and olive oil), and sliced fresh tomatoes. It felt great to get some good protein and veggies after a weekend of carbo-loading for the Avon Walk! ;)

Vignarola

Strawberries w cream

For a recipe, google the name of this traditional Roman spring-time stew with the name "David Downie". Don't want to spend the time linking, but you'll find several online--superior to Epicurious, though a vegetarian version is traditional, too.

Artichokes, potatoes, fava beans and peas. I cheated and used frozen artichoke hearts from TJ's for a very different effect. Whole Food's fresh fava beans were delicious, especially buttery and tender when little and raw. Mint picked up as a plant at the market along w green onions and little white new potatoes I didn't bother to peel. Cibola's trimmings from bacon to flavor, too. White wine. Squirt of lemon and parsley at end. Great room temperature as leftovers. Ate with a chunk of Atwater's wonderful and very seeded loaf.

Heinz Thomet's first strawberries. Was going to make shortcake (buttermilk biscuit kind) but decided sugar and cream a better way to go.

Off-topc, but please indulge: kudos to The Washington Post for its front-page series last week on food, international politics and the domestic scene.

Variation on Zora's Theme:

Purple asparagus w ramps, Royal Trumpets and pioppini (mushrooms) in brown butter

Ricotta gnocchi (Judied vs. Goined)

Market strawberries, washed.

Tried the shortcut Suzanne Goin method of preparing ramps. The blanched leaf on whole ramps, especially w the more bulbous wild leeks from Pennsylvania is lovely to behold, but better suited for topping a steak or tangled in spaghetti strands than plated beside gnocchi.

Eight-year old ran from the adjoining dining room, yelling "Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!" when only the mushrooms were turning golden and shrinking in sizzling butter.

Asparagus, little white turnips, French butter radishes, strawberries, morels, golden beets, baby kale, green onions, lilac florets over mesclun...

Pretty soon I am going for the pot roast and Jell-O. Or waffles.

Rotini with parsley, basil, oregano, and green garlic

Roasted asparagus and green garlic. The green garlic was unexpected surprise. I threw in some of the slivers I made for the pasta and they turned into little garlic chips. Next time I want to try splitting the garlic length wise and roasting the whole sprig. Or is it stalk?

Main course salad with mesclun and mache, cukes, avocado, jicama, tomatoes, scallion, shaved reggiano

hazelnut oil/EVOO vinaigrette

canned ;) wild Alaskan salmon and Greek gigante beans in tomato sauce

fresh pineapple, strawberries and blackberries

2007 Ch. Suau Rosé

Last night was lamb curry (onions, red peppers, raisins, chicken broth, coconut milk) over brown rice.

I had frozen two packets of cooked lamb slices a month or so ago, after roasting a boneless leg of lamb from Costco. There was just too much lamb left to finish it without eating it every day for a solid week. I wasn't sure how well the pieces would hold up through freezing and reheating, but it worked fine for this curry. I froze the more end pieces that were cooked medium to medium-well separately from the pieces that were medium rare, thinking I might be able to use the medium rare pieces in something without overcooking them too much. For a curry or stew it doesn't matter. I could also end up just making a curry with those too, since I know it works now.

Working my way through my market produce this week, I used rainbow chard for fettuccine with grilled chicken (I had grilled 4 breasts the previous night for a spinach salad with strawberries and gorgonzola), and sauteed chard in a gorgonzola and white wine sauce. I used a beurre manie to thicken the sauce.

post-138-1210189022_thumb.jpg

Breakfast for dinner

Al Dente's stepmother's Oatmeal Pancakes with butter and maple syrup

Bacon

Fried eggs over easy

Everything bagels, toasted, with cream cheese and smoked salmon

The pancakes were great. (The butter is measured before melting, if anyone is planning to make these ;)). Urrp...I don't usually eat this much food at night. It was wonderful, though :).

The mini-farmer's market was back at work this afternoon. I made grilled chicken that I'd marinated in shoyu, lemongrass, garlic and ginger. This was served with ginger glazed carrots and a salad with a mix of lettuces. The lettuce guy told me his season is winding down and this would probably be his last market day. Sadly, I don't like clams because a really nice guy with an aquaculture lease in one of my preserves was there today. He sold out pretty quickly.

Dinner, gone terribly awry:

Roast chicken: A cross between Keller's salt chicken and Cook's Illustrated's crispy roast chicken. Although the skin was crisp and the breast meat juicy, there was waaaay too much salt resulting in two salt burns. Argh.

Stir-fry mix from someone at the Dupont market. I had a late night and wanted to eat earlier, rather than later, and... consequently... undercooked the greens. Blech.

Sought comfort from the vending machine: dark chocolate M&Ms. The stupid bag got caught up in the rings, hanging precariously. Not precariously enough: no amount of pushing or rocking or cursing was able to dislodge the bag. Sigh.

Roast chicken: A cross between Keller's salt chicken and Cook's Illustrated's crispy roast chicken.
I've been meaning to try this myself. What's a salt burn?

Last night:

-Heirloom tomato bruschetta

-Leftover pizza topping pasta (herb roasted chicken, Italian sausage, pepperoni, sundried tomatoes, ricotta, parmesan, red wine, balsamic vinegar, lots of fresh herbs - really, really, really good actually)

-Barolo of some sort

Chicken smothered with carmelized onion and garlic and a little white wine pan sauce. Roasted long beans. Glass of lambrusco. The onion, garlic and long beans from the farmers market at work. Whole wheat roll from the Zoe Francis book. The wine, chicken and roll part of using up my pantry before moving.

Appetizer:

Homemade guacamole with Tostitos

Meal: [crushed toasted hazelnuts over the whole plate]

Blanched baby mustard greens with hot pepper sesame oil, topped with some grated Parmigiano

Braised chicken thighs with mushrooms, garlic, red onion, and yellow bell pepper (started stovetop and finished in the oven)

Risotto with pea shoots, topped with some grated Parmigiano

Braised collards with green garlic and country bacon lardons

Flaky buttermilk biscuits with butter and three different honeys (Toigo apple/peach blossom; North Carolina wildflower; New Zealand rata flower)

Maple glazed carrots

Marinated cranberry beans

Bell's lager

Oven roasted Eco-Friendly poussins

Baked homemade ricotta (made with Clear Springs Creamery milk)

Piperade with capers

Leftover potato-ramp gratin

Greek gigante beans in tomato sauce

mixed olives

Mesclun with tomatoes and cukes, macadamia oil/balsamic vinaigrette

Marvy Market striata

Strawberry-rhubarb pie with Haagen-Dasz vanilla ice cream

2005 Dom. Richard Maniere Bourgogne

Parents were in town over the weekend and after tromping around the city for 3 days we were all exhausted. Being the thoughtful son, I whipped up a light Mother's Day dinner.

Apps

Iberico Ham

Manchego Cheese

Bacon Wrapped Dates

Dinner

Seared Scallops on a Bed of Couscous

Roast Asparagus

Market Greens with Lemon & Olive Oil

Dessert

Balsamic Strawberries over Vanilla Ice Cream

Scallops photo (place settings are not mine!)

post-44-1210715101_thumb.jpg

Tonight was semi-homemade Indian food:

Oven roasted curried beef meatballs

Saag paneer

Vegetable curry (butternut squash, potato, mushroom, carrot, onion, green garlic, green beans and peas) with Patak's rogan josh sauce and some coconut milk

Dal makhani

Basmati rice

Raita

Major Grey chutney and eggplant pickle

Lyon's Stout

Poached Blue-Green Egg from Groff's Content Farm

Salt-Flecked Roasted Asparagus from Sand Hill Farm

Wedge of Cornbread, warmed, w fat from Cibola Farms, cornmeal from Safeway & corn from frozen section at Whole Foods

Haagen-Dazs Caramelized Pear & Toasted Pecans from Brookville

light chicken soup with pea shoots, button mushrooms, and black beans

fennel, artichoke, and apple salad with creamy buttermilk dressing

penne with broccoli rabe, olive oil, hot pepper flakes, and Parmigiano

A frittata with leftovers-hash brown potatoes with ramps, braised chard with oregano and lemon, oven roasted cherry tomatoes, cheddar.

Strawberries dipped in gobs of fresh cream.

oh my... i had a frittata with leftover asparagus, ramps and mushrooms from the market. wow I am so bummed to have just discovered ramps.

I had assembled an antipasto platter to precede dinner last night and was going to reheat leftovers once my husband got home. He brought someone home with him to visit for a bit, so we had a leisurely appetizer course (and Sol with lime to drink).

roasted red and yellow bell pepper strips, with coarse fleur de sel and extra virgin olive oil

marinated halved artichoke hearts

chopped campari tomatoes

cornichons

buffalo mozzarella, sliced

Jamón Ibérico

shaved Pecorino Romano, scattered over the platter

everything flatbread (Passport) from Whole Foods

(Later on my husband had leftover braised chicken, pea shoot risotto, and baby mustard greens for his meal.)

Grilled atsuaage (deep-fried block of tofu) sprinkled with soy sauce and shichimi (Japanese seven-spice)

Fuki topped with katsuobushi (shaved dried bonito flakes) and sprinkled with light soy sauce

Miso soup with sliced shiitake and wakame seaweed

Steamed rice

He had to close last night, so the mister made a nice sauce with cannelini beans and tuna, and I was supposed to make myself pasta. But when he's not home and I have the baby to deal with, my dinner sometimes falls by the wayside. So I settled for the last of the So's Your Mom chopped liver on an everything bagel and some shortbread cookies the Nanny Share Couple brought back from England.

baguette slices with soy spread

leftover salad caprese with minced shallots, avocado slices, lime, and raw baby peas*

baked chicken drumsticks

fried potatoes with shallots and dill

*When I was selecting peas for the potato salad for tomorrow's picnic, I didn't carefully check the individual pods to make sure they had fully formed peas. I ended up with quite a few that had just tiny, embryonic baby peas. I saved them anyway, even though I wasn't going to put them in the potato salad. They were really nice sprinkled on top of the mozzarella, basil, and tomato of the salad tonight, along with excess minced shallots from the potato salad dressing prep. I put the avocado around the edges of the plate and squeezed the lime mostly on those.