The Luv Bloat

Scott Johnston

This may need to be moved to another thread... but I wonder if we should start a singles thread... or at least have a few singles tables at some of the DR events? Any thoughts?

Dateless on vday.

As another single person here, I like the idea of a singles table and think it might make it easier or more welcoming for single people to come to some of the more formal events. But, I also very much like the diversity represented here, and I don't want to miss out on getting to know the married/attached people and their plus ones.

DonRockwell.com Dating Service. Hmmmm, I like it:) If there is interest for the Corduroy dinner we can put together a singles table (or at any other dinner for that matter).

We could always do a singles only happy hour, but I usually avoid those things like the plague. Happy Hours are a great way to meet other single dr.com'ers without it being obvious. You can mill around and talk to people without being stuck at a table. There has been a romance or two between people who met because of the board but out of respect for their privacy I am not going to go into much more detail.

DonRockwell.com Dating Service.  Hmmmm, I like it:)  If there is interest for the Corduroy dinner we can put together a singles table (or at any other dinner for that matter).

We could always do a singles only happy hour, but I usually avoid those things like the plague.  Happy Hours are a great way to meet other single dr.com'ers without it being obvious.  You can mill around and talk to people without being stuck at a table.  There has been a romance or two between people who met because of the board but out of respect for their privacy I am not going to go into much more detail.

Those attending the Corduroy dinner that are single can let me know and I will give them name tags with a big 'S' on them. :lol:

As HV said, HH is probably the best and least pressure way to meet others.

I'm going to Corduroy +0... Was the original plan to seat me at a table by myself?!  :lol:   Rockwellians are weird...

Don't worry you will not be sitting by yourself. At past events we have used larger tables (anywhere from 4 to 8 tops) and people just seat themselves. If you arrive on the early side there is time to mingle and find tablemates. Obtaining payment promptly aside, we are a pretty relaxed group.

I remember a certain food board that made it an issue to point out that they didn't want to become a "Lonely Hearts Club".  And now they are the worse off for it.

Food can play a big part in any romance.  Why not here?

[i'm happy for people to maw (*) each other at events, but I just can't see any sort of official sub-theme, and prefer to let everyone co-mingle as a community and let things happen however they happen.

I mean, after all ... It's Just Lunch! Oh, wait a minute...

Cheers,

Rocks]

(*) meet and woo

[i'm happy for people to maw (*) each other at events, but I just can't see any sort of official sub-theme, and prefer to let everyone co-mingle as a community and let things happen however they happen.

I guess I'm going to have to belabor the obvious here. This is EXACTLY the kind of group single people need to belong to for the following reasons: 1) everbody in it is interested in good food and drink and passing along the dope about it to whomever wants to know; 2) nobody cares what you do for a living and you won't be asked about it (although you can volunteer the info, particularly if you are in the food service biz and yes, there are quite a few lawyers in this group. What a surprise.); 3) you can almost always find someone willing to try a new place with you, even if the person isn't available for "other" things--meaning you won't have to dine alone if you don't want to; and 4) married people almost always seem to think that single people should join the club of the "happily married" and will be more than happy to expedite the process. You wanna know a little something about someone intriguing? We all have PM's. Use them. And NO, I do NOT have Nadya's phone number. :lol:

I mean, after all ... It's Just Lunch!  Oh, wait a minute...

Cheers,

Rocks]

(*) meet and woo

That's kinda what I was getting at. Apparently my meaning was minscstrued - not the first time or the last.

I was just saying that if romance or friendship can bloom here, why not? We have lots of opportunities to socialize, both online and (thank goodness) offline and these things happen.

Of course in the end, we should be more meat market than meet market.

Couldn't resist anymore --

Love, exciting and new

Come Aboard. We're expecting you.

Love, life's sweetest reward.

Let it flow, it floats back to you.

DonRockwell.com soon will be making another run

DonRockwell.com promises something for everyone

Set a course for adventure,

Your mind on a new romance.

Love won't hurt anymore

It's an open smile on a friendly shore.

Yes LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! (hey-ah!)

DonRockwell.com soon will be making another run

DonRockwell.com promises something for everyone

Set a course for adventure,

Your mind on a new romance.

Love won't hurt anymore

It's an open smile on a friendly shore.

It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

It's DonRockwell.com-ah! It's DonRockwell.com-ah! :)

Adapted from the original -- ("The Love Boat" by Paul Williams and Charles Fox)

Edit to add -- Damn, Rocks moved the thread on me! :lol::huh:

Edited by JPW

I guess I'm going to have to belabor the obvious here. This is EXACTLY the kind of group single people need to belong to for the following reasons: 1) everbody in it is interested in good food and drink and passing along the dope about it to whomever wants to know; 2) nobody cares what you do for a living and you won't be asked about it (although you can volunteer the info, particularly if you are in the food service biz and yes, there are quite a few lawyers in this group. What a surprise.); 3) you can almost always find someone willing to try a new place with you, even if the person isn't available for "other" things--meaning you won't have to dine alone if you don't want to; and 4) married people almost always seem to think that single people should join the club of the "happily married" and will be more than happy to expedite the process. You wanna know a little something about someone intriguing? We all have PM's. Use them. And NO, I do NOT have Nadya's phone number. :lol:

If there is any interest in pursuing this I'll volunteer -- one time only! -- to coordinate a HH. PM or post here.