What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Last night a bottle of 1997 Marcassin Hudson - fading and slightly disappointing I would have called Burgundy if I was tasting blind. Followed by a stunning bottle of 2004 Aubert UV Pinot. Berries and violets, ultra rich but not heavy - awesome winemaking.

Way too many rickeys! :-)

Did you twitter this post? Ha!

But yea, good rickeys to be had this evening. I'm finishing up with a Berliner Weisse from Bayerischer Bahnhof: 3%, nice tart edge but without the super-sour that requires adulteration via syrups. This is just delightful on its own.

Recently, I've been enjoying the following very refreshing concoction:

muddle fresh slice(s) of ginger with simple syrup and a dash of bitters (peach works well, Angostura less so)

add rye whiskey (or bourbon) and ice and stir for a few minutes until really cold

strain over fresh ice into a glass and top with club soda

variations: add mint or basil to the muddle; garnish with a twist of lemon

An absurdly delicious bottle of 1985 Krug enjoying a stunning September evening on the rooftop of my friend's NYC condo before taking in my last game at the current Yankee Stadium. And at Scarpetta afterwards a perfect bottle of 2001 Domaine de la Mordoree Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee de la Reine des Bois. That is as good as red wine gets.

A friend brought over a new bloody mary mix that was quite tasty - good flavor and heat, although I add a bit more horseradish. Ultimate Tailgater mix from Tilted Palm. Doesn't look like I can get it around here though. I've ordered a few bottles online to get me through football season though.