What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Damm, that's early to drink for a Sunday morning Dean (or are you continuing from last night?)
I was in no condition to type when I was drinking it. Ever since my Old Ebbit post I have tried to avoid drunken posting!

This morning I am drinking coffee as I tasted thru our fall cocktails and got a preview of some of our winter stuff to come last night. You know you've had a lot to drink when you need a shot of Armagnac to sober up before bed. :lol:

Its a tough job but someone has to do it. Its called quality control.

Xyauyu last night... God... that was some beautiful stuff.

Yup, that stuff is incredible.

Tonight it's a Pitchfork Rebellious Bitter from the British RCH brewery, a nice drinkable 4.3%. Delicious...this has held up way better than some session beers that make it across the pond.

A Reverb Crash, winner of the Tiki Central drink contest. I used red grapefruit so dialed back the passionfruit syrup, and I also put Angostura bitters in one and not the other, but we couldn't tell a difference. Maybe two dashes was too little for such a large drink. At any rate, it is just delicious and I am considering filing it away as a summer brunch drink.

Way back when--a quarter of a century ago--we got busted by the campus security guys for drinking in the dorms. I insisted the wine we were drinking was grape juice. Well, they were rent-a-cops and didn't care, as long as there was no trouble.

I just found a bottle of Chateau Bellevue La Foret in my pantry, hidden amongst random items. I have no idea how I came to possess this, but, if busted drinking it, I can honestly say that it is grape juice. I've never in my life had a wine that tasted more like grape juice. I'm enjoying it, in a small pottery cup I bought in New Mexico last month. It tastes more than anything like purple grape juice. That's not a bad thing, really.

I feel like having two posts in this thread in a row makes me a lush.

Johnnie Walker Black of my dad's that he's been storing for around 30 years. Surprising it's mellowed out quite nicely.

How's it stored? Liquor in a bottle usually doesn't age... (vermouth and other fortefied wines aside)

How's it stored? Liquor in a bottle usually doesn't age... (vermouth and other fortefied wines aside)
Just the regular bottle in a cool room. I don't know if the formulation was substantially different then, but we did a side-by-side with a more recently produced one, and it was dramatically different. From talking to Jake I know he had some rationale for the change. My dad has a few other bottles of stuff - Dimple and Jack Daniels amongst them that will be worth drawing comparisons.

Just the regular bottle in a cool room. I don't know if the formulation was substantially different then, but we did a side-by-side with a more recently produced one, and it was dramatically different. From talking to Jake I know he had some rationale for the change. My dad has a few other bottles of stuff - Dimple and Jack Daniels amongst them that will be worth drawing comparisons.
I would think two different blends cause the difference, not the aging?

Martinez with 209, Antica Formula, Luxardo Maraschino ^ Fee Orange Bitters. One identically except for the use of with Hayman Old Tom had a better mouth feel but the aromatics and power of the 209 made for a superior taste and better balanced cocktail. Interesting comparison.

89 Beaucastel CdP. Ho Ho Ho

This wine is damnably variable in the DC area, even within the same case. It's all about the cork, in particular how the cork held up to abusive shipping during import. Good bottles are great; bad bottles are undrinkable.

I bought a case of futures from Pearson's, and when I went to pick them up, a buddy of mine that worked there said that many of the bottles had leakage problems - he ended up hand-assembling my case as a "best of" selection of twelve bottles from several opened boxes they had upstairs. Mine have all been in good shape.

As for the rest of the customers who picked up their futures after I did, and got the leaky bottles?

See ya ... wouldn't wanna be ya ...

I'm finishing up the day with my traditional Christmas margarita. Earlier is was a couple Harpoon Winter Warmers, which are also a tradition because: (1) they sell them at Total Wine; and (2) the Total Wine in McLean is ALWAYS open on Christmas.

I wanted to get an Old Fezziwig too, but I haven't seen it this year. Does anybody know if they made it and, if so, who has it?

Eagle Rare 10yo 101pf, from the classic mid-1980s "flare cap" bottle. What many folks don't know is that this juice was distilled at what is now Four Roses distillery. Yum.

Jake.

This is like saying, "I'm working on a Festernal lute study from 1423. What many folks don't know is that Festernal was an inspiration to Robert Morton. Awesome."

No it's not. Because if I said that it would be in ol_ironstomach's voice.

For the record, I don't know who or what Festernal is, so you're on your own there Jake. It doesn't appear in the OED, nor my copy of Osborne's Dictionary of Composers. There isn't even an internet domain by that name. If you've been searching for a real-sounding word suitable for use as a trademark, here's your opportunity. I think it would make a splendid brand name, if you happened to be a manufacturer of, say, colorful liturgical vestments. Or party hats.

I did read a bit about luthiers though. And what better way to cap off a night of droll reading than to sip Dolin blanc over a full glass of ice.

For the record, I don't know who or what Festernal is, so you're on your own there Jake. It doesn't appear in the OED, nor my copy of Osborne's Dictionary of Composers. There isn't even an internet domain by that name. If you've been searching for a real-sounding word suitable for use as a trademark, here's your opportunity. I think it would make a splendid brand name, if you happened to be a manufacturer of, say, colorful liturgical vestments. Or party hats.

I made it up, pairing it in the same sentence with the impossibly obscure Robert Morton just to make it sound a little more real. :P

Entirely too many Bols Genever old fashioned - current favorite is to use some demerara sugar simple syrup plus repeal day bitters.

DARN YOU JAKE PARROT for getting me hooked on these!

Are the repeal day bitters on sale anywhere or do you need to know someone?

Meyer Lemon Drops with homemade Meyer limoncello and freshly squeezed juice. Not particularly sophisticated, but it really showcases the Meyer lemon complexity, and that's what I was going for. It tastes like a little piece of Florida in a glass. I'll play with the ratios a little, but I'll definitely make them again.