What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

2 parts Woodford Reserve

1 part Laird's Applejack

1 part Clear Creek Pear Williams

2 parts Soda water

Experimenting with the liquor I have sitting around (and using woodford so if it sucks, I don't feel bad). Probably needs something else, but it's not terrible as-is.

2 parts Woodford Reserve

1 part Laird's Applejack

1 part Clear Creek Pear Williams

2 parts Soda water

Experimenting with the liquor I have sitting around (and using woodford so if it sucks, I don't feel bad). Probably needs something else, but it's not terrible as-is.

It seems to me that it has one too many items the apples and pears are not likely to compliment one another but will muddle the flavors. Why not eliminate one and brighten it with a little acid (lemon juice) and maybe some peach bitters.

Before dinner tonight I made a couple of Mississippi Mule, the first attempt was decent, but I used Junipero and found that it was just too pronounced for this drink. My second attempt was with Miller's (not Westbourne) and was much happier, the Gin did not dominate but blended quite well with the lemon and the cassis.

Barq's root beer and Old New Orleans spiced rum. It's a sugary spice cake in a glass. Hmm, wonder if there's any vanilla ice cream left...
You piqued my interest...my office just went on a trip to New Orleans, so I especially requested the spiced rum as a consolation prize since I was unable to join them. Unfortunately, they could not find it. Where can I get it around here, if anywhere?

You piqued my interest...my office just went on a trip to New Orleans, so I especially requested the spiced rum as a consolation prize since I was unable to join them. Unfortunately, they could not find it. Where can I get it around here, if anywhere?

Nowhere. Blame Republic National.

Amongst other things last night...Anchor 'Genevieve' Genever-style gin. The same botanical bill as Junipero, but a decidedly non-neutral whiskey-style mashbill of wheat, barley, and malted rye.

Oh.

My.

God.

What I would give to make something this good. Round, rich, tons of awesome spirit character, with a rumbling juniper second-line. Not a lot of other overt notes, with the richness of the spirit allowing other botanicals to umami in and out of consciousness.

Lusty. Available in California only at this time.

2005 Joseph Swan Vineyards Pinot Noir (Saralee Vineyard). Consumed waaay to early in it's life, but delicious with some time in the decanter. Earthy nose, bright cherry fruit, strawberry notes with a touch of menthol. Light colored compared to the typical RRV pinot nowadays, and this was refreshingly low in alcohol at 13%. Nice to not have a Cali pinot come in at 15% or better every time out.

This is available at WFM for under $25 - a bargain.

To celebrate the impending arrival of the newest member of our family we opened a bottle of 1990 Delbeck this is a beautifully made Champagne.

Kudos to you, Steve, and congratulations! He looks like a great dog, and undoubtedly will contribute a great deal of love and fun to your household. From what I hear about labs, though, don't leave any unsupervised food out on countertops or tables...

Kudos to you, Steve, and congratulations! He looks like a great dog, and undoubtedly will contribute a great deal of love and fun to your household. From what I hear about labs, though, don't leave any unsupervised food out on countertops or tables...
Zora,

Thank you, but he is joining his big sister who is a 95 pound black lab that we adopted from the same rescue organization. The good thing about the show line labs is that they are generally not counter surfers, that is a skill where the more athletic field line labs shine.

Amongst other things last night...Anchor 'Genevieve' Genever-style gin. The same botanical bill as Junipero, but a decidedly non-neutral whiskey-style mashbill of wheat, barley, and malted rye.

Oh.

My.

God.

What I would give to make something this good. Round, rich, tons of awesome spirit character, with a rumbling juniper second-line. Not a lot of other overt notes, with the richness of the spirit allowing other botanicals to umami in and out of consciousness.

I read a short article about this stuff last night and immediately wanted to try it! Any idea how much a bottle goes for in California?

on a side note I've been on an Anchor Porter bender lately :mellow:

I openly admit to having little to no knowledge of red wines. Especially now that I am expecting my second child, there has been no wine consumption recently :mellow: . But, my dad gets cases of red wine as gifts from various clients and always passes them on to me.

I have a bottle of Silver Oak 2002 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Can someone tell me about this wine? And what should I do with it? Give it away or keep it for 5 or so months until I give birth to #2?

I have a bottle of Silver Oak 2002 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Can someone tell me about this wine? And what should I do with it? Give it away or keep it for 5 or so months until I give birth to #2?

If you like oaky reds (I am not a big fan of them) than definately keep it, if you don't give it to someone who does.

Pegu Club - made with bombay sapphire, cointreau, lime juice, and angostura bitters. Jlock is having one with bombay sapphire, cointreau, lime juice, and blood orange bitters

We also tried several other combinations, using Hendricks as well. We would have liked to have tried one using Reagan's orange bitters, but we have none.

We have recently - in our newfound grounded state - instituted Friday night cocktail nights, which are dedicated to improving our woefully inexperienced bartending capabilities. We would love suggestions for our future ventures. Unfortunately, the Kentucky boy hates Bourbon, so we are limited in that respect.

We have recently - in our newfound grounded state - instituted Friday night cocktail nights, which are dedicated to improving our woefully inexperienced bartending capabilities. We would love suggestions for our future ventures. Unfortunately, the Kentucky boy hates Bourbon, so we are limited in that respect.
I would center my cocktail night around classic movies. For instance you could put in one of the Thin Man movies and make Martini's (buy Miller's Westborn) or Gimlets. Another option would be to get either Coquette or Sleep, My Love and make Mary Pickford's. They look like girly drinks but when made properly they are one of the finest cocktails ever invented (Rum, Maraschino, pineapple juice, and grenadine). How about getting Stormy Weather (if for no other reason to watch the Nicolas Brothers dance their asses off) and making a couple of Dark and Stormy.

Starting the evening with a bottle of NV Inflorescence Champagne, a marvelous Blanc de Noirs imported by Potomac Selections.

Cedric Bouchard's champagnes are freakin fantastic. His Les Ursules cuvee (also a Blanc de Noirs) was the best thing I drank last year.

Cedric Bouchard's champagnes are freakin fantastic. His Les Ursules cuvee (also a Blanc de Noirs) was the best thing I drank last year.
Starting the evening with a bottle of NV Inflorescence Champagne, a marvelous Blanc de Noirs imported by Potomac Selections.

The estate is Roses de Jeanne One of my very favorites. Just lovely bubblies.

I would center my cocktail night around classic movies. For instance you could put in one of the Thin Man movies and make Martini's (buy Miller's Westborn) or Gimlets. Another option would be to get either Coquette or Sleep, My Love and make Mary Pickford's. They look like girly drinks but when made properly they are one of the finest cocktails ever invented (Rum, Maraschino, pineapple juice, and grenadine). How about getting Stormy Weather (if for no other reason to watch the Nicolas Brothers dance their asses off) and making a couple of Dark and Stormy.

Or you could rent The Big Lebowski and drink White Russians.

Warm gingery chicken broth. From a teacup. Repeat every half-hour.

Mom is full of great, wacky ideas on how to treat the flu :mellow:

If you have the same funk that I had (and its seems everyone I know excluding my wife has had), I fought of the symptom with a cocktail of Vick's Cough and Dayquil, hell I figured if Britney Spears could drink several bottles of Nyquil, a bottle of Vodka, and a crapload of Red Bull and survice the night (OK, she held her kids hostage afterwards, but she still lived), my 210 pound ass could handle double the recommended cough medicine.

I bought a bottle of this wine just yesterday to give to my sister-in-law for her 50th birthday. I have six in my cellar already, but I'm not sharing.

I bought a bottle of this wine just yesterday to give to my sister-in-law for her 50th birthday. I have six in my cellar already, but I'm not sharing.
Its a good wine and very approachable right now. A few more years will certainly help it, but that might just be the English genes and my penchant for aged Champagne writing.

Tonight was a very young and exquisite 2002 Verget Chablis Vaillons VV.

Great idea! Hopefully, we will be able to do that sometime in the future. For now, by the time we put the baby to bed, make the cocktails and eat dinner, we are lucky to be able to watch a sitcom without passing out. A movie would be quite the feat.

Last night, Jlock made blood bronx cocktails. I loved them!

Oh.

My.

God.

I just got my bottle today and am sampling some right now. This is unlike any gin I have ever had, you are right there is no juniper, but there is something meaty about it. I am sipping it over ice, but it is screaming for something more, maybe just a small twist of lime, or a couple of dashes of orange (or peach) bitters. My order from Beltramo's also included Aviation, and a bottle of Damrak (to replace the one I had finished). Thank you Jake for pointing out this great source for things that Joe cannot get for us. Now if only someone could find me Blackwoods.

35 y.o. bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label compared to a more recent bottle. 35 years makes a huge difference - it seems that the formulation is very different. More malt and some really great aromas. Much smoother and more full mouthfeel too. I could understand why people were drinking back then, but less so now. Eugh...