What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Paolo Bea Santa Chiara 2006

Bea is now making a "brown wine"! It was always a little anomalous that this traditionalist who just threw his red into a tank and let them go to work on their own made a fairly modernist white with chardonnay & sauvignon in addition to traditional grapes. But now they ferment the wine on the skins for 14 days "senze controlatta temperatura" and let the wine rest on the fine lees until bottling the following July. The only non traditional bit is that the fermentation & ageing is in stainless, not Amphorae. But the result is a Gravner-esque wine of great richness & viscosity at and incredibly reasonable price (as far as Gravner-esque wines go for). For a dollar or two more than the wholesale for a Radikon or a considerable bit less than the wholesale on Gravner, you can have the Bea on a wine list!

Intense rich grechetto & malavasia flavors lead. Lush, full bodied. If served at cellar temp in a black glass I doubt many would even peg it as a red wine. Amazing stuff from Bea & Neil Rosenthal.

Was instroduced to amaretto sours and I like! mmmm a bit low in the alch tho but quite tasty.
I love Amaretto Sours, and surprisingly the best one that I have ever had was at the Best Western Malpensa outside of Milan. A hotel that is 5 minutes from the airport, with a very good bar and decent restaurant, but beds of granite.

2005 Domaine de Belliviere Coteaux du Loir Le Rouge-Gorge. Nice spicy notes of black pepper and a little strawberry fruit. Quite different then most reds from the Loire that I have tasted, and at 15% abv all you smucker-heads should give this a try (hint hint....it is not that hot)

$24.99 from Arrowine (imported by the man JD)

Yeah, I found this a bit ponderous. Honestly, I don't get pineau d'aunis as much as I should; this is largely because most of my experience with the cepage is in power-tasting sessions--twenty seconds isn't long enough to devote to a wine from this chameleon variety.

Oh that's a yummy one. An Italian-American chap went back to the old country to take over his family's wine farm a few years ago. The first Montesecondo rosso IGT was denied the Chianti Classico DOCG. The DOCG board told the winemaker that if he added a coloring agent, he would get the DOCG. Of course, he didn't, and sold the wine as Rosso IGT (I think this was the 2004 vintage).

Oh that's a yummy one. An Italian-American chap went back to the old country to take over his family's wine farm a few years ago. The first Montesecondo rosso IGT was denied the Chianti Classico DOCG. The DOCG board told the winemaker that if he added a coloring agent, he would get the DOCG. Of course, he didn't, and sold the wine as Rosso IGT (I think this was the 2004 vintage).

Yeah, I remember reading that one year the he could not get the DOCG because it was too wine had too much color and the next year he was denied becasue the wine had too little color. Understandably, he did not try a third time and bottled the wine as a Rosso IGT.

A wonderful gin and tonic with Oude Genever from Holland that is ice cold and Fever Tree tonic. The Fever Tree really lets the complex flavors of this gin come out. I believe this bottle was aged about 15 years and then bottled in ceramic. This stuff warms you up!!!

Top of the evening to all of you

A Zuidam zoratini: Zuidam gin, Vya dry vermouth and St. Germain with a Meyer lemon twist. Not quite as floral and elegant as one made with Hendrick's gin, but quite delicious nonetheless.
That sounds like a great idea, but right now I am in the middle of enjoying a Meyer Lemon Aviation using Zuidam gin (Westbourne is a better fit for this, but it still works).