What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Been a while since I had a manhattan, so I fixed one up when I got home. Had an unopened bottle of Woodford sitting around so I decided to try it. Pretty tasty, but definitely need to scale back on the vermouth when using bourbon. I'm almost at a 1:1 ratio when using high-proof rye, but the sweetness of the bourbon requires less sweet vermouth, methinks.

I was finally able to replicate a drink I had at the Met Bar in London, it was called the Met Manhattan and is an orange toffee flavored drink. It is 2 oz of Bourbon (Basil Hayden's for this version), 1 oz of GM, 1/2 oz of butterscotch liqueur and 2 dashes of orange bitters (Reagan). I have had the recipe for a while, but until I tried it with the Basil it was not quite right.

Tasted last night:

Licor Beirão A delightful addition to a gin & tonic.

Kubler Absinthe I will be picking up a bottle of this.

Bols Corenwyn, cask aged genever. Nothing makes me happier than tasting a new gin.

posh beer in cans

Also tried a Golden Rye Flip, which made me want to hunt down some Advocaat, and the most delicious Pisco Sour mixed by Adam Bernbach. I have got to get to Bar Pilar on a Tuesday because that young man knows what he's doing.

Lately, I have been making the Per Se Gin and Tonic designed by Brian Van Flandern. The Per Se experience is another post entirely but I have been obsessed with this drink since I dined there in the fall. It took me a while to get all the ingredients together but it is an enjoyable drink.

Quinine powder from an online source

Junípero gin from MacArthur Beverage

Tynat sparkling water from World Market

Below is the recipe I found in another blog where Brian responded with the recipe Brian Van Flandern post on his drinks.

"To make your own tonic, simply add a 16th of a tea-spoon of quinine powder to your base spirit (less is more) along with fresh lime juice and simple syrup. Shake this concoction vigorously WITHOUT ICE. The glycerin in the alcohol with disolve the powder so that it does not clump or float on top.

Now fill a highball with ice and pour the mixture up to 50% full. Fill the rest of the glass with your favorite sparkling water. I use TyNant from Wales. It has smaller bubbles. Finally, toss back and forth a couple of times and garnish with a lime. As always think ACID, ALCOHOL & SUGAR. Taste the drink and adjust it slightly by adding the component that will bring it into balance (ie. add sugar if to tart, lime juice if to sweet, more gin if not enough booze, ect.)"

Last night, a simple but delicious sidecar variation: brandy, Grand Marnier, lemon juice, and peach bitters. I forsee a lot of experimental cocktails with peach bitters in the near future.
Try a combo of peach bitters with angostura on a perfect manhattan. It's an awesome combo.

now i am drinking my new favorite post physical therapy muscle relaxer:

Red Guitar, 2005 Navarra. excellent with spicy food- jack habenero cheese and crackers- that's food! but oh so nice on its own... i've had too much of it to describe it wait- just took a sip- still can't say anything except i can't feel my ankle and my mouth feels like happy little cherries are dancing in it...

1970 Chateau Latour for V-Day dinner at the bar at Eve - a great compliment to the outstanding beef tartare/oxtail ravioli/duck confit and pork belly we scarfed down. I have experienced significant bottle variation with this behemoth but this bottle was perfect and just got better and better as dinner progressed.

A Bosporus daiquiri. JM white rhum, half a lime diced, some Depaz cane syrup, six jarred Turkish sour cherries, bit of cherry juice, Fee brothers aromatic bitters, Fee brothers peach bitters, muddled, chilled, served on some crushed ice. Mmmmm. No blender, nasty mix from a carton, or silly plastic garnish in sight.

Feeling like having something bitter and herbal, I mixed 1 1/2 oz G'Vine gin, 3/4 oz Benedictine and Brandy, 2 drops Herbsaint, and 2 dashes Regans Orange Bitters, stirred with ice and served on the rocks. The result is... interesting. And yet tasty. But not for anyone who likes sweet cocktails, for sure.

I might've even dropped some lemon juice in there :mellow: .

Funny you should mention that... I was also playing around with Elixir Vegetal de la Grande-Chartreuse. That got to be a bit much.

Rittenhouse bond, neat, in a chilled glass, dash Fee Peach, dash Fee Orange, dash Fee Whiskey-barrel. Hard to improve on perfection, but I might just have.

Nice.

I like it. Maybe I misunderstood the thread. It really was what I was drinking then, not a special bottle that I had saved to open on a special day. Even so, I like Marcillac and Phillipe Teulier of Domaine du Cros is a very good producer. It's imported by Ed Addiss.

Sat_Mag_233986a.jpg I never ever heard about this. Is it really that good?

A Holland House cocktail, from this week's WaPo spirits article:

1 3/4 ounces gin, preferably oude genever

3/4 ounce dry vermouth

1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur

1 lemon peel twist, for garnish

I used Zuidam, and meyer lemon. Quite delicious.