What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Louis Martini 1075 Barbera in fine shape. Redwood Tank nose, very tobacco like flavors, but it showed its age in the finish. Still fun to drink a wine older than any of my waitstaff and share it with them.

Along a similar vein, a client brought in a bottle of 1970 Latour on Saturday night. Receiving advance notice, I countered with a pristine bottle of 1970 BV Reserve. We also shared both with the managers and some eager staffers, none of whom were as old as either bottle. I've had better bottles of the 1970 Latour - IMO the BV blew it away. A perfect example of mature Cab.

Along a similar vein, a client brought in a bottle of 1970 Latour on Saturday night. Receiving advance notice, I countered with a pristine bottle of 1970 BV Reserve. We also shared both with the managers and some eager staffers, none of whom were as old as either bottle. I've had better bottles of the 1970 Latour - IMO the BV blew it away. A perfect example of mature Cab.

Interesting. Just the other day someone I trust offered me a good deal on the 70 BV Latour. I was hesitant b/c most of what I have heard lately is that it is past its prime. Mark, I assume your experience did not mirror this?

Interesting. Just the other day someone I trust offered me a good deal on the 70 BV Latour. I was hesitant b/c most of what I have heard lately is that it is past its prime. Mark, I assume your experience did not mirror this?

Our recent experience with 1970 cabs we drank with a group from the RP board showed the BV in fine form, very soft and very interesting. It got shot down by the Mayacamas and Chappellet which were young and vibrant, but it was quite fine on its own, far superior in my opinion, to the two Mondavis: Unfined and Unfiltered (two separate bottlings actually).

Giacomo Conterno Barolo Monfortino- 1985 - Not drinking now, but after much waiting and attmepting in the past I am ready to open it up. I have one more, after this one . I am looking for a nice place for dinner with a few friends where I can bring the bottle and enjoy a nice Italian dinner.

Corkage fee not a major issue, just want the right place. Any recommendations ?

Look one post above yours.

Giacomo Conterno Barolo Monfortino- 1985 - Not drinking now, but after much waiting and attmepting in the past I am ready to open it up. I have one more, after this one . I am looking for a nice place for dinner with a few friends where I can bring the bottle and enjoy a nice Italian dinner.

Corkage fee not a major issue, just want the right place. Any recommendations ?

I am sure we can work out a waive corkage ;->

A 2007 Diet Dr. Pepper - This soda features a rich bouquet of caramelly, but not overly sweet, Dr. Pepper which is not tainted by any tinny flavors from the can. High carbonation does not distract from the sweetness and finishes with a slight bitter taste.

Nice, but I doubt you can top DC's finest with hints of sulfur and a note of chlorine. Nice white legs on glass when exposed to air.

50/50 bourbon and Carpano Antico Manhattan with homemade brandied cherries

Our attempt to recreate the Palena Manhattan. Didn't have Maker's Mark bourbon, so used Very Old Barton 6 year-old. Didn't have Peychaud's bitters so used Angostura. We decided that Palena's home-made cherries were made from dried cherries, which were a bit chewy and raisin-y. Mine are pitted sour cherries that I have been macerating in brandy, kirsch and sugar in the fridge since mid-Summer.

Damn tasty. Next time, we're going to try it with rye. It seems a bit sacreligious to use 18 year-old Sazerac, but the only other rye I have is 21 year-old Willett's.

Last night was a bottle of Billion Rose Champagne and a 1988 La Mission Haut Brion. My wife described the latter as tasting like sitting on a comfortable leather couch and watching the snow fall. While I agree that it was a very comforting wine with plenty of leather, I am not sure where the snow comes from.

Tonight we drank a 1989 Paul Bara Special Club, a champagne that reminds me of roasted apples and peaches with a bit of vanilla.

We got a bit silly at a dinner party Saturday night. Started with magnums of 2002 Aubert Ritchie and 2002 Peter Michael La Carriere - both drinking perfectly. A slight preference for the Aubert, but they are both great wines. Then we shared a magnum of 1998 Beaucastel - always great but I don't see how it can improve any further, and then a magnum of 2002 Saxum Bone Rock - a wow wine that tasted like essence of blackberries. At this point we were still thirsty (there were 9 drinkers) so 4 more bottles appeared from the cellar - a 1989 Cheval (as good a bottle as I have had), a 1990 Shafer Hillside (good but on the decline), a 2002 Martinelli Blue Slide Pinot (a Helen Turley masterpiece - not your daddy's pinot but a star for new world Syrah lovers like myself), and a 2002 Amon Ra to finish things off. Well not quite - we then started doing Tequilla shots - a face off between the Clase Azul ( not available in this market but what a great tequila - smooth as silk with a disarming sweet finish) and a 1942 Don Julio brought by one of my guests. Sunday morning (and afternoon) was not fun.

Last night (at Equinox)

1982 Guigal Hermitage - wonderful mature syrah. No fruit bomb here - cassis, black cherry, some earth and barnyard. Amazing.

Also had a 1978 Guigal - much more bricking, probably on it's way downhill, but more barnyard and leather than fruit at this point. Still enjoyable, but not as good as the '82.

If you find yourself at Equinox before I can drink the remaining bottles, the '82 is a steal (relatively speaking)!

2004 Hartford Russian River Valley Zinfandel--can't keep my nose out of the glass, the aroma of berries, spice and sandalwood is so alluring. Flavors of black raspberry, white pepper, plum and cinnamon are wrapped with slightly grippy tannins and the finish goes on and on. Delicious with a fireplace-grilled steak. Too bad this was my only bottle. If I could afford it, this is a wine I would buy a case of. Stunning.

Where did you find the St. Germain? I have been looking for it for a while.

We just brought it in a couple of weeks ago-- its on the shelf for about $34.

I've been curious about it since its arrival, in that I've seen it in many drink recipes but had never actually seen a bottle. What is it like, exactly?