What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

I am glad that you are enjoying the wine, but it is not a special occasion wine, on release I believe it went for less than $20. But good is good whatever the cost.
Ah, thanks. I suppose I'm lucky it's good a decade later. The sauce I used it in came out well too.

A hybridized highball - Rittenhouse 80, Old Overholt, Blenheim red.

03:30 ETA: 1970 Cockburn port, NV Aubry brut, tasters of about a dozen independent bottlings of single malt Scotch plus four expressions of Ardbeg, three Marcs, various other spirits and brandys, and finally a small pour of Delamain Vesper. Happy New Year to all, and a very good night!

Urp.

That was a damn good highball. And tasting malt whisky after midnight is not, repeat not, hazardous to your health.

The full list

Highballs from Beam rye (1983), Overholt (1986 and current), Rittenhouse 80 proof

Sazeracs from Rittenhouse bond

2005 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon blanc "No. 2"

2004 Inama Soave Foscarino

2001 Santa Cruz Mountains Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

1997 Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Reserva "Monte Real"

1970 Cockburn Vintage Porto

NV Aubry Brut (x2)

Glenrothes, 1988-2003, Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS) cask 30.44, 56.9% abv

Highland Park, 1984-2003, SMWS 4.96, 56.1%

Glenturret, 1987-2006, Cadenhead's (first-fill bourbon cask), 52.1%

Rosebank, 1991-2005, Classic Malts of Scotland, 46%

Glen Glassaogh, 1984-2003, SMWS 21.23, 52.5%

Longmorn, 1978-2003, SMWS 7.23, 57.0%

Mortlach, 1979-2001, Scott's, 56.5%

Ardbeg "Still Young" (90 months old), OB, 57%

Ardbeg, 1995-2004, Connoisseur's Choice, 40%

Ardbeg, 10yo, OB (Brown-Forman wrap), 46%

Ardbeg, 17yo, OB (Brown-Forman wrap), 46%

Bowmore, 1989-2004, SMWS 3.94, 54.3%

Caol Ila, 1989-2001, Murray McDavid, 46%

Caol Ila, 1993-2004, SMWS 53.78, 57.5%

Springbank, 10 years old, OB, 57.1%

Ropiteau Freres, Marc de Bourgogne (c. 1965), 45%

Comte Georges de Vogue, Marc de Bourgogne Reserve Particuliere, 43%

M. Chapoutier, Marc vieux de Cotes-du-Rhone, 43%

Mastroberardino, "Grappa Novia" (Aglianico), 40%

RMS, QE brandy (Carneros), 40%

Larios, Brandy Solera Gran Reserva "1866", 40%

Delamain, Cognac Grande Champagne "Vesper," 40%

Mount Eden Santa Cruz Estate Cabernet 2003

What a nice young cabernet. Huge flavors, full bodied, lots of ripe tannins so the wine has no harsh edges but is loaded with structture for aging. A great wine from one of the great wineries in California. This winery seems to fly under the radar... don't know why.

Unadulterated bilge wather... stay away from. Otherwise the price of this tiny production winery might rise or they might get harder to get. Drink that Neil-Screagle-Phelps Insignia overripe cult wine stuff made to stain teeth and fall apart after a few weeks in the bottle or the latest hot off the presses South american or Aussie hedonistic fruit bomb at north of $50 a bottle instead of this wine which has a 30 years+ track record of greatness and ageability.

To drown my sorrows after finding out that I need my knee scoped, I am starting with a bottle of 2000 Domaine de al Charbonniere Chateauneuf-du-Pape, will most likely follow it with something stronger.

Sthitch,

I opened one of the 2000 Charbonniere CndP Vieille Vignes a few days ago. Still very young and tight. Lots of dark fruits and loam, still very tannic. Plummy flavors with a hint of chocolate. I won't open another for at least 5 years, but this could go for decades.

Yes, it is still very young, but I was in the mood for some CdP, and its box was the first one that I came across in the cellar so I grabbed it. By the time I finished it, it had really opened up nicely, but you are right, it is still quite tannic. You are right, this is going to age nicely, and I am happy that I have 11 more.

Mount Eden Santa Cruz Estate Cabernet 2003

What a nice young cabernet. Huge flavors, full bodied, lots of ripe tannins so the wine has no harsh edges but is loaded with structture for aging. A great wine from one of the great wineries in California. This winery seems to fly under the radar... don't know why.

Unadulterated bilge wather... stay away from. Otherwise the price of this tiny production winery might rise or they might get harder to get. Drink that Neil-Screagle-Phelps Insignia overripe cult wine stuff made to stain teeth and fall apart after a few weeks in the bottle or the latest hot off the presses South american or Aussie hedonistic fruit bomb at north of $50 a bottle instead of this wine which has a 30 years+ track record of greatness and ageability.

I have five bottles of the 1997 laying around somewhere. Dean has inspired me to pop one open.

Thierry Puzelat Touraine Sauvignon "Buisson Pouilleux" VV 2004. From an old massale of sauvignon blanc, farmed biodynamically and made uber-traditionally, in old wood. Massive flowers and chalky minerals, with a core of exotically complex melon and lemon fruit. This was one of the best wines of the Louis-Dressner Selections portfolio tasting this past October, and it's still as compelling as ever. Could use some time in the cellar, too.

Diabolique Belgian Golden Ale

I found it in the refrigerator and realized that i didn't rememeber how long it had been in there, so I figured opening it was a good idea. I remember buying it at Total Wine. I just don't remember when :lol:

I like it. There's something about the name that made me think it would pack a real wallop, but it's quite pleasant.

A homebrewed imperial stout at 10%. Brewed in September, kegged in November, and getting better every time I try it. Chocolate, a touch of roast, and just enough hop backbone to balance out most of the residual sugar. Still a good bit of alcohol on the aroma, but it seems to be continually mellowing as it ages.

We were talking about your home brewing this evening at dinner and Dame Edna has a question: Do you put dirty sweat socks in the mix to give it that je ne sais quoi? :lol:

ha! no sweat socks, but I (regrettably) am still brewing in plastic buckets. I'm still saving up for a conical steel fermenter, but for now, the plastic retains plenty of jenny say coy from previous batches. I've got an experimental hoppy wheat ale in the buckets at the moment, and it's showing more banana/clove character in the aroma than expected. We'll see how that one goes once it goes on tap. Maybe I'll have a little mini tasting/fiesta here since I rarely travel with homebrew.

ETA: anybody who wants to buy me one of these gets several kegs of whatever kind of beer they want brewed :unsure:

ETA: anybody who wants to buy me one of these gets several kegs of whatever kind of beer they want brewed :unsure:

What if one were to give you some glass carboys instead? Not that I have any to give, but I'm curious what the rewards would be :lol:

I strongly suspect I'd be prying the carboy I gave my brother from his cold, dead hands.

{edited so it didn't look like I actually had carboys to give}

{carboy = 5-6 Gallon glass jug}

Not drinking right now, but a little bit ago in Whole Foods Fairfax's tasting room:

1. Pierre Luneau-Papin Muscadet "Terroir des Schistes" "Excelsior" 2002: From a cooperative program of tip-top Muscadet producers to explore monolithic single sites. This is ur-Muscadet, all rocks, stones and bones with rich white fruit and piercing, electrifying acidity. One for the long term. Imported by Jocelyn Cambier (and Joe Dressner in other states), $23 at Whole Foods.

2. Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape 1996: Picture-perfect Beau from a second-tier vintage, this is drinking close to full maturity now. Plush earth and loamy red fruit, with plenty of interest. About $90, but a scant $4 for a one-ounce taste that will put a skip in your step for the rest of the day.

What if one were to give you some glass carboys instead? Not that I have any to give, but I'm curious what the rewards would be :lol:

I strongly suspect I'd be prying the carboy I gave my brother from his cold, dead hands.

{edited so it didn't look like I actually had carboys to give}

{carboy = 5-6 Gallon glass jug}

glass carboys were the best investment i ever made when moving away from plastic. SOOOO much easier to sanitize and clean.

I agree that they have advantages over plastic, but when space is concerned they are a PITA.

Not if you keep them full of fermenting beer on a regular basis :lol:

Back on topic: I'm currently drinking water from the office cooler, but at about 6ish I predict that there will be some cask-conditioned Fraoch going into mah belly (unless BP's website is out-of-date).

Edit: Anyone caring to join me should look for the long-haired dude with Kermit the Frog shoes.

What time does BP open on Saturdays?

11:30 am.

And for all y'all that are wondering what this Fraoch stuff is, it's an ale flavored with heather instead of hops as a bittering/preserving agent. It's an historically accurate (well, as accurate as you can get for these sorts of things) reproduction of Pictish beer. Scotland is too dang cold for hops to grow and hops were too expensive (or Scots too dang cheap (or maybe they preferred not giving $$ to the Brits)). The end result is a wonderful mild ale with a hint of clover honey sweetness and a touch of grassy bitterness to it. All those who have been clamoring for a real bitter would probably enjoy this.

Info on the beer from the brewer's website:

http://www.fraoch.com/history.htm

Is that BP or the upstairs? I've never tried to order a cask beer from upstairs, although I imagine I probably could.

They don't break down the hours for each on the website. I'm not certain if you can get cask beer while the downstairs is closed. I have gotten some when I've eaten upstairs, but the biergarten was open already.

Not just now, but two nights ago: growlers of Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager and Oak Barrel Stout, reinforcing my belief that the best beer in the world is the fresh one right in front of you. The stout was especially good, with distinct tobacco notes and a sweet finish.

2003 Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout

18% abv. tastes like 12%. Chocolate, caramel, toffee, molasses, {another arbitrarily complex sugary adjective}, but suprisingly drinkable, and assuredly the hands-down best 15%+ beer I've ever had. Definitely sweet on the palate, but despite my hophead leanings, that's ok. It blends roast, sugar, and alcohol to create a finish that is definitely on the sweet side, but totally enjoyable. I've had it before, but it never ceases to amaze (and 4 years on, the '03 has aged beautifully). I have a case of the '06 that I'll be sitting on for a while.

It is these experiences that make me love this brewery. Just incredible.