What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

I remembered that it had some relationship with artichoke. Can you taste the artichoke?

My British brother-in-law is a connoisseur of Fernet-Branca and other digestifs. I have had occasion to taste some of them. Fernet Branca is the only one whose name I recall. To me, it's rather like something you would smear on your chest to loosen up bronchial congestion. I can't see the appeal of leaving a restaurant after a lovely meal, and having such a medicinal taste lingering on your palate. Perhaps if the food had been vile...

Zora,

Fernet Branca is used to aid digestion (it is claimed) but falls into the group of beverages known as Amaro. For my taste, Fernet is the most vile and medicinal one. It seems every town and city in Italy has its own secret recipe for amaro - some of them are quite tasty. More interesting ones I find to be: Montenegro, Ramazzotti, Amaro Nonino. These are also supposed to be magic hangover cures.

Zora,

Fernet Branca is used to aid digestion (it is claimed) but falls into the group of beverages known as Amaro. For my taste, Fernet is the most vile and medicinal one. It seems every town and city in Italy has its own secret recipe for amaro - some of them are quite tasty. More interesting ones I find to be: Montenegro, Ramazzotti, Amaro Nonino. These are also supposed to be magic hangover cures.

Mark,

My B-I-L will be here from NYC for Thanksgiving. I'm sure he would be surprised and happy to be offered one of these amari that you find interesting. any recommendations for where I might find one of them?

I would add Borschi and Santa Maria del Monte to the list. I like these on the rocks before a meal, with a twist of orange, or after a heavy meal. Cleveland Park has a nice selection.

Anyone know where I can buy 2005 gragnano grotta del sole? It's a fizzy red we had at 2 Amy's. A fun wine with pizza.

Zora,

For me there is nothing that lives up to the name of "digestif" better than Italian amari. Cognac, Grappa, Calvados and the like, despite their unquestioned merits, always give me heartburn after a meal. But a nice amaro just smoothes out all the rough edges and restores that peaceful sense of gastric equilibrium. I happen to like Fernet, but Dino has some lesser-known beauties. In a pinch, a good shot of Angostura is also quite acceptable. Germany makes some good bitters, too.

Yes, but Jaegermeister isn't one of them. :)

I almost mentioned Jägermeister in my original post. I've always been mystified by the fact that something that in its native land might best be described as a respectable digestif for old ladies became a kind of rebel drink for adolescent firebrands and frat boys over here. Is it visionary marketing, or a fluke attraction that the company picked up on? Removed from all this socio-economic baggage, Jägermeister is, I think, a very distinctive and well-made liqueur that can assume its place along chartreuse, benedictine, and other herbal flavored liqueurs.

Actually I was thinking of Underberg when I mentioned Germany, though I probably like it only because I have pleasant memories of those little paper-wrapped bottles from when I was a kid.

I almost mentioned Jägermeister in my original post. I've always been mystified by the fact that something that in its native land might best be described as a respectable digestif for old ladies became a kind of rebel drink for adolescent firebrands and frat boys over here. Is it visionary marketing, or a fluke attraction that the company picked up on?

Visionary marketing. I am not sure when I read it, but I read an article that talked about how Jägermeister became so big in the US. IIRC, the company wanted to bring there product to a larger market and figured that adult males of college age and recent grads would be a great place to start. They started a marketing campaign aimed at this group and started sponsoring 'events' at bars where Jägerspritzer girls were present. These girls, dressed in skin-tight outfits that were low cut and very short, would wander around with spary bottles of Jägermeister giving spritzes to eager males. They have also got into marketing themselves at other events and it appears that it was a huge success.

These girls, dressed in skin-tight outfits that were low cut and very short...

I should have known, the oldest trick in the book. Their advertising in Germany has lately targeted a younger cohort as well, though a few years ago their print advertisements had the reputation for being rather witty.

Another bottle of 75 Chateau St Michelle Cab 75. I think this does it for this wine. As opposed to the last bottle, this one was a little tired yet still a lovely experience. Maybe a bit too much of decay on the nose, the flavors were gentle and subtle. Great with a little roast duck.

I opened a 2004 Ciacci Rosso di Montalcino, but it was corked. Bah....but I'll take it back and get a replacement. I could taste enough of the goodness to know it's a fine bottle of wine. I hate it when that happens...

So I opened a 2003 Chateau St. Michelle Cold Creek Cab. Very nice. Got it at Costco in Fairfax for less than $20. Well worth the money.

Randomly pulled a 2003 Tinto Pesquera from the cellar last night. Fiendishly difficult to uncork...the damn thing just wouldn't budge.....ended up dismembering the cork and pushing the remnants into the bottle and then decanting/straining....but worth the hassle...wonderful fruit, lush wine...

Randomly pulled a 2003 Tinto Pesquera from the cellar last night. Fiendishly difficult to uncork...the damn thing just wouldn't budge.....ended up dismembering the cork and pushing the remnants into the bottle and then decanting/straining....but worth the hassle...wonderful fruit, lush wine...

I had the same problem with two bottles of the Tinto Pesquera. Never seen such tight corks

I had the same problem with two bottles of the Tinto Pesquera. Never seen such tight corks

In the mid-90s, Pesquera was notorious for refusing to use paraffin wax to line their corks, and this resulted in wine seeping around the edges and oxidizing - it was very common to have a completely drenched cork, from top to bottom, when opening a Pesquera. Nearly every bottle of the expensive 1994 Janus - a beautiful wine on release - was ruined after a number of years. Although I'm not current on this problem, I fear that the tightness you both describe might be indicative of a continued absence of paraffin wax - the wax would make the cork glide out more easily.

Drink up,

Rocks.

1981 Iron Horse Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

The nose shows the wines age: all mushrooms and a little bit funky at the start, with more spice and fruit elements coming out with a little time and swirling. The flavors are full and quite rich, lots of red cherries, black berries, pepper. As it opened, maybe 10 minutes into the wine, it showed signs of fading for a moment, but only a moment. After this bit if harshness passed, the wine opened to reveal its true breed. The oak is fully integrated and tannins resolved. Very supple and full on the tongue with a rich, mouth coating texture. Long finish.

1975 Louis Martini Barbera. WOnderfully earthy and spicy on the nose. The wine opened tart and acidic yet frull of fruit. Amazing for a 30 year old wine. With some air it rounded out and developped a "dry port like" flavor. We have recently had the 1074 and 1976 vintages as well and this is probably the liveliest of the lot although I think I prefrer the 76 for its intensity (crought year wines are pretty amazing).

Last night I started with a Tanqueray Rangpur and tonic. I happened upon this stuff in Delaware, and hope that it does not go by the wayside like my previous favorite version of Tanqueray.

I followed that up with a glass of 1969 Domaine de Peyrot Bas-Armagnac. Wow, this is well spiced with hints of leather and dried fruit. I had originally planned on shareing some of this with a few friends, but not after tasting it. This is all mine.

Last night I started with a Tanqueray Rangpur and tonic. I happened upon this stuff in Delaware, and hope that it does not go by the wayside like my previous favorite version of Tanqueray.

<snip>

How does it compare to what I assume was the (beloved in our house as well) Malacca?

Their website says it's new and in limited release in DC/MD/DE, until early 2007 when it goes nationwide. The defining ingredient is the Rangpur lime.

On an distantly related note, as I was driving through Kentucky yesterday, I snarfed two new bourbons: the new Four Roses "Small Batch 90" (released September, sold only in Kentucky) as well as the 2006-version Woodford Reserve "Four Grain" (released on Tuesday to a few states, already nearly sold-out). Notes to be posted later to the whiskey thread after I've had a proper taste of each.

How does it compare to what I assume was the (beloved in our house as well) Malacca?
It doesn't. It is completely different. The Rangpur is very limey, not a fake tasting lime like the insipid lime flavored colas, but more fresh and natural tasting. Adding lime to a G&T made with it is overkill. I also read on Wikipedia that it was available in DC, but I have not been able to find it.

It doesn't. It is completely different. The Rangpur is very limey, not a fake tasting lime like the insipid lime flavored colas, but more fresh and natural tasting. Adding lime to a G&T made with it is overkill. I also read on Wikipedia that it was available in DC, but I have not been able to find it.

Actually, DC was one of the test markets for it. I know Joe Riley has it over at Ace and I believe I saw it at Cleveland Park Liquors as well

Had a couple of friends over to try a few of the brandies I brought back from Spain. First, a Lepanto Solera Gran Reserva Brandy that had been aged in a Pedro Ximenez cask. This was slightly sweeter than the other Spanish brandies that I like, but mellow and rich reminding me of the Lagavullin double matured in color and smoothness. It isn't as sweet as the Duque d'Alba and still has the hint of "bite" that I enjoy in my whisky.

We decided to open the 1866 Solera Gran Reserva next. It was much dryer but still very smooth with a lovely carmel color and a bit of a smokiness. I liked this one better as it wasn't quite so sweet and the smokiness was redolent of my favorite Islays.

Yes, I know I shouldn't compare them to bourbons or single malts but that is what I am used to drinking.

The bottom line was that we thought these brandies come in somewhere between a fine bourbon and a really good single malt scotch. They have all the fullness of the fine single malts and a bit of the kick at the back of your throat but the sweetness of the bourbon in your initial tastes. The aromas are rich like dark chocolate fudge.

If you happen to see one in your local liquor store, you won't be disappointed.

Okay, now I have to go do the dishes... :)

Mark Squires offline last night with a bunch of folk from eRobertParker.com:

I did not take notes so I am not sure if this is correct. It is also incomplete. Tasted single blind (everyone knew the wines except for the ringer but not the serving order):

1966 Barton- amazingly youthful and intact for a wine 40 years old. One of my favorites.

1975 Mouton- elegant, a little leaner and lighter than some, really really good.

1979 Palmer- one of my favorite wines of the night. Very elegant with broad and expansive flavors.

1975 Lafite- corked. Others liked it thru the corkiness, but I couldn't ignore it to enjoy. It was full bodied and there was a lot of fruit underneath the corked stink, but I don't know what a good bottle would be like.

1978 Chateau St Jean Cabernet Glen Ellen vineyard (what is now the Moon Mountain Reserve vineyard) the ringer, tossed in by yours truly. Easy to tell it wasnt a BDX but no one was sure if it was a cali cab or something else. The nose was way different than the BDX with far less development and subtlty. But the flavors were full and firm with more fruit than any of the BDX, and with very good acidity. Quite good showing, got one best of flight vite and several votes for top three wines.

1982 Cos- what a wine. Minerality galore, full and rich. Best of the younger wines in my opinion.

1982 Leoville Poyferre- damn good, not as complex or mineral filled as the cos, but really nice.

1985 Cos- dissapointing in comparison to the 82. Not a lot there

1985 Latour- solid, not bad but nnothing special.

Overall- the pre 1980 group was a much different kettle of fish than the post. While this may be a function of the age differences, there seems to have been a shift of philosophy involved. The 80's wines were bigger and richer yet lacking in as much complexity and nuance. They were more obvious. They were also punchier. Will they become the subtle and nuanced wines like the first flight? I don't know, but my gut is no. Remember that I am way out of my comfort zone with BDX not drinking it very much at all, so this is just specualtion. The earlier flight was simply superb. The wines had little tannins, had lost their fleshiness and were absolutely structure and texture driven. It was a joy to drink them. In the end, half the gorup likes the younger flight better, half the older. What was obvious was that the best wines were not the first growths as a group. Given the extreme cost differential with the First Growths, we were all saying "Why buy them?".

Aperitifs-

1996 Brocard Chablis (probably a premier cru something or other)- amazing starter, fresh and lively. Chablis remians my favorite white burgundy!

Veuve 99 Gold Label- full toasty but lacking in real personality.

Drappier Rose- not sure if it was NV or vintage but this was really really nice.

Lots of dessert wines but by then my limited powers of concentration were far to abused to note names. The TBA was yummy. I am moving slowly this morning, still stuffed and happily wined out a bit.

Overall- the pre 1980 group was a much different kettle of fish than the post. While this may be a function of the age differences, there seems to have been a shift of philosophy involved. The 80's wines were bigger and richer yet lacking in as much complexity and nuance. They were more obvious. They were also punchier. Will they become the subtle and nuanced wines like the first flight? I don't know, but my gut is no.

Dean, one of the problems comparing the styles of these wines is that you are comparing unlike vintages. While 75 is the best vintage between 1970 and 1982, I still have only found it to be the best of some painfully mediocre vintages of the 70's. Both 82 and 85 were much richer vintages, and showed this in the wines that were produced out of those years. I don't believe that this had much to do with the change in wine making styles (I am not debating that there was a change in style that took place in the early 90's and in some cases is still taking place).

If you have the pleasure of getting a 1961 of most of these wines you will get a better idea of how the 82's should mature.

Dean, one of the problems comparing the styles of these wines is that you are comparing unlike vintages. While 75 is the best vintage between 1970 and 1982, I still have only found it to be the best of some painfully mediocre vintages of the 70's. Both 82 and 85 were much richer vintages, and showed this in the wines that were produced out of those years. I don't believe that this had much to do with the change in wine making styles (I am not debating that there was a change in style that took place in the early 90's and in some cases is still taking place).

If you have the pleasure of getting a 1961 of most of these wines you will get a better idea of how the 82's should mature.

I did get to drink 59, 61 and 66 vintages up till the 80's (when my tastes moved away from BDX) so I had experience with those wines at a similar age as the 82's we had the other night. And I think the wines dissimilar. The 82's at age 24 were much heavier and concentrated than the 61's were in their early 20's. The 61's had more tannic structures and were far more textural. The 82's were far more hedonistic. And of the 4 or 5 82's we had, 2 were wonderful but 2 were totally forgettable in my opinion.

Also remember that the group was evenly split about the two flights. Those of us who mainly drink Burgundy or Brunello seemed to be in the 70's camp while the Rhone and BDX drinkers were in the 80'2 camp.

I have a mixed case or so of 82 BDX in my cellar and will look in on them over time. I am in no rust to drink tham given the showing of the wines last week. But I am also not in any rush to go back to buying BDX. I have not bought a bottle since the '82 vintage and I doubt very much that that will change. I don't see the price value ration needed for me to put that kind of money into the wines. Not when I can get incredible Barolo and Barbaresco for under 50 and most any Brunello for under $60 retail. And not when I can get all my favorite Cali Cabs for under $65 a bottle (good thing I don't have a taste for the cult style of cab... just give me a Mayacamas, Judd's Hill or Ridge MB- $65 on futures!). Almost any zin today that I like is well under $50 a bottle and most are under $40. Then there are the odd ball things that are even better buys.

An ordinary, yet oddly expensive Bourgogne from Adega in Silver Spring. It's not even worth walking downstairs to find the bottle and get the name of it.
there's nothing odd about how expensive one of their wines is, they're all rip-offs.

Somewhat off topic, but I just saw "Withnail and I" for the first time last night (I believe Heather mentioned it in one of her posts some time ago). Wonderful movie. I now have the irrepressible urge to quaff quadruple scotches and the finest wines known to humanity (e.g., a '53 Margaux).
"Two large gins, two pints of cider. Ice in the cider."

Quadruple scotches are easier to come by than '53 Margaux.