What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

polishing off a glass or two of Twin Valley Moscato that somebody left at my party over the weekend. Is muscat always this cloyingly, terribly sweet? I'm having quite a hard time drinking this, and I want to make sure it's just a bad wine (rather than something I just need to get used to because I'm primarily a beer drinker). I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's just a crap wine, but can anybody with some actual wine knowledge back me up?

polishing off a glass or two of Twin Valley Moscato that somebody left at my party over the weekend. Is muscat always this cloyingly, terribly sweet? I'm having quite a hard time drinking this, and I want to make sure it's just a bad wine (rather than something I just need to get used to because I'm primarily a beer drinker). I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's just a crap wine, but can anybody with some actual wine knowledge back me up?

In Asti, Italy Moscato is low alcohol, fizzy, sweet but had balancing acidity to counteract the sugars. If this is a discrtiption of your wine, then you porbably don't like Moscato. If not than your Moscato may be unworthy of the name.

1985 Volcanic Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, Diamond Creek, Napa Valley

Opened and decanted. Started off very tight and woody, with substantial tannins but aged had moderated the harshness of the tannins. Around the 15 minute mark, black fruit started developing on both nose adn palate. The wine enver became generous in fruit, but it did richen up with time. The spice elements were quite strong and balanced the sweet wood elements. The overriding impression was of mountain fruit. I hitnk the wine will hold for a long while- the acidity was well matched with the rest of the structural and fruit elements, but I will have to wait and see if there is more development to be had. All in all it seemed a little one dimensional to recent cabs I have had from the vintage in terms of complexity of fruit (ie Iron Horse, Mayacamas, Laurel Glen, Ridge MB).

Heitz Cellar Treasure Angelica

Purchased on a trip to the old Heitz tasting shack wayyyyy back when, I think when I picked up my 1974 Martha's Vineyard at the wine shack in 1978 or so. The only indication of identity on the label is that it is of a bottleing of approximately 5200 bottles. It was put into my cellar and promptly forgotten only to be rediscovered last year in moving a substantial part of my collection from LA to DC. We opened it hoping that it would still be drinkable, or at least mostly harmless. It is an interesting wine to say the least. It was all molasses, coffee and other roasted notes. The wine was rich and sweet and pretty damn addictive to drink.

In Asti, Italy Moscato is low alcohol, fizzy, sweet but had balancing acidity to counteract the sugars. If this is a discrtiption of your wine, then you porbably don't like Moscato. If not than your Moscato may be unworthy of the name.

Thanks dean, exactly what i was looking for. I didn't notice any acidity (so it's probably just a not-good version), but I think I'll steer clear of Moscato in general anyway.

Thanks dean, exactly what i was looking for. I didn't notice any acidity (so it's probably just a not-good version), but I think I'll steer clear of Moscato in general anyway.

Before swearing off the stuff, try a real one of Asti. We pour Moscato d'Asti from Marchesi di Gresy and its pretty fantastic. Another great ones is Marcarini.

Heitz Cellar Treasure Angelica

Purchased on a trip to the old Heitz tasting shack wayyyyy back when, I think when I picked up my 1974 Martha's Vineyard at the wine shack in 1978 or so. The only indication of identity on the label is that it is of a bottleing of approximately 5200 bottles. It was put into my cellar and promptly forgotten only to be rediscovered last year in moving a substantial part of my collection from LA to DC. We opened it hoping that it would still be drinkable, or at least mostly harmless. It is an interesting wine to say the least. It was all molasses, coffee and other roasted notes. The wine was rich and sweet and pretty damn addictive to drink.

We had a good friend who bought Heitz Angelica by the case and gifted us with a Christmas bottle a couple of times during the early eighties, after we had tasted it at her home and fallen completely in love with it. We would dole it out by the thimble-full in order to make it last as long as possible.

When we were in Napa during the late eighties, we stopped at the Heitz tasting room looking for it and were told that they had stopped making it.

The only equivalent we have since found, in terms of depth and complexity and similar toasty, nutty, caramel, honey, orange peel flavors, are a couple of Australian stickies we like-- Yalumba Museum Muscat and Buller's Tokay and Muscat.

Before swearing off the stuff, try a real one of Asti. We pour Moscato d'Asti from Marchesi di Gresy and its pretty fantastic. Another great ones is Marcarini.

duly noted. I think my palate is generally just more accepting of drier white wines...not sure the acidity would even be enough to make me accept the high sweetness. Will keep that in mind, though.

Anyway, I should've known that wine brought to an Oktoberfest party (read: lots of beer) probably wouldn't be very good :)

Sinebrychoff Porter - and it's phenomenal. A glover park Whole Foods find. I'm always impressed by the Whole Foods beer selection at my Logan Circle location, but that Glover Park one beats the pants off of mine. Found a few gems there...Empire IPA (english, hoppier than most english IPAs), the Celis Grottenbier, St. Bernardus Abt 12, and of course the Sinebrychoff.

Very Old Fitzgerald - barreled in 1952, bottled in 1960 - neat.
Oh. my. God. Porcupine, you're my hero. Or, I suppose, your mother is my hero. Bless her and bless Pappy Van Winkle. Unbelieveable layering, the classic Stitzel-Weller cherry profile. Wow.

Oh, and a small tot of Ardbeg 17yo. Ardbeg==intricacy. Mmmmmmm.

Cajun Kamikaze: 5 parts pepper vodka to 1 part Rose's lime juice, 2 parts lime juice, and 2 parts Cointreau. I used Absolut Peppar and Luxardo Triplum, which I thought softened the Peppar's bite too much. Considering it was served with a dinner involving green chile, I'm not convinced that was a bad thing, but I think I'll be sticking with the Cointreau from now on.

Coke Zero.

I'm not getting drunk this Halloween.

Query:

What does it mean if scary movies aren't scary anymore? Last night I learned that "The Ring" and work scare me about the same. And this is with subwoofers. Also, my memory is bad.

We're running out of warm days, so it seemed like a good time to polish off the rest of a 2005 Cantine Aurora Tortona moscato, which has a surprising amount of peachy fruit and a bit of sourness to balance out the usual sugary sweetness. Another good recc from Joe Riley, and the tastiest Moscato I've had in a while.

Another one of ol_ironstomach's Kentucky-only harvests (thanks!)--Old Heaven Hill "Very Rare Old" Bottled-in-Bond 10-year-old. Yummy, with classic HH eucalyptus. Not as dark/rich as its HH sibling the McKenna single barrel (also HH, also 100 proof, also 10yo), but with an excellent floral-pepper edge. And it costs basically no money. Yum.