What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Last night - perfectly matched with the sensational rack of lamb at Corduroy a 2003 Saxum Rocket Block Syrah. It was as good as any California syrah i have ever tasted - including the great Sine Qua Non and Alban Syrahs I have had throughout the years.

Last night at the baseball game: Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. I thought I didn't like it, but it hit the spot.

Also: Cuervo shots, Jaegermeister shots, and a number of other things that made me regret that half-smoke and empanada I had for dinner last night.

(So, today: lots and lots of water and Coke Zero.)

It's 2:55am and I just finished a Corpse Reviver w/Lucid Absinthe. And no, that doesn't mean I have a drinking problem (It means I had lots of work to finish...and I was thirsty...and I figured I'd whip up a cocktail with what I had...or something)

Now I am going to bed...

Ranman Mukashinagara no Nigorizake from Yuzawa City, Akita Prefecture. Nigorizake is sake with some of the lees left behind; it's opaque, and easily described as creamy. This one has a hint of chocolate on the tail. It's really nice.

What ever happened to the three-martini lunch? Is there still a social stigma attached to drinking during the day?

"The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?" [Gerald R. Ford, President]

It's Friday, 10:51CDT. In nine minutes, a long line of New Orleans' finest lawyers, statesmen, merchants, and hoi polloi will crowd into the tiny upstairs bar at Galatoire's for the pre-aperitif aperitif. Which, likely as not, will be whiskey-based. And followed by another aperitif at table, bottle after bottle of wine, boozy coffee, and cordial. Tough way to spend a day.

I poured a couple of fingers of Arancello brewed by "somekind of crazed but brilliant Italian moonshiner" fresh from my freezer. Numb face, but warm smile -- partly from the Arancello and partly from memories of a lovely meal at Herbsaint triggered by Jake's post:

a long line of New Orleans' finest lawyers, statesmen, merchants, and hoi polloi

Primarily beer last night, including a very pleasant "Red Hot Rye" (I believe it was called) that I got at Whole Foods while being inundated by beer samples (which nicely toned down my over-caffeination).

However, after watching "Death Proof" Mr. TMFIII and I did shots of green Chartreuse and that...was...awesome.

It made me all hyper.

Today it shall be bourbon; after all, it's Mixology Monday's theme this month and I'm hosting!

Ridge 84 Jimsomare - very nice, higher acid which one would expect vis a vis the MB as hthis is a cooler vineyard thatn the rest of Ridge's MB vineyards

Ridge 84 Montebello - Soft, spicy, near perfect.

Ridge 85 Montebello - tight, still too young

Ridge 87 Montebello - corked. Damn!

Now we are on

93MB - nicely spicy and evolved. Very good indeed.

97MB - huge, rich, very young

98MB - surprisingly good, a wine that defies the vintage charts

99MB - one of the best of the night but not in a huge style. Will be a superb MB someday!

Dean,

My invite must have been lost in the mail...

We are planning a second Ridge orgy soon. Mayacamas as well. PM me if interested. You need to have at least one bottle of old Mayacamas or MB or two bottles of younger. There is also a 1970 and 1975 california cab tasting in our near future.

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek - It's not a lambic, and it's not terribly authentic kriek, but it's got a pretty tasty sour cherry character once you get past the initial "oh what is this" factor. Not sure how much of this Joe has left at Ace, but I'd grab some again in a heartbeat.

For the 4th. a wine that ended in 76 -- 1976 Mayacamas Late Harvest Zinfandel (17% alcohol.) Fears that it was some combination of over the hill, plummy, or alcoholic. A big and pleasant surprise: a healthy red not showing age, no distinct sense of alcohol, rich blackberry flavors, and much life ahead after all these years. Seemed, well, youthful. Our only bottle....

Continuing the Ridge kick... and in honor of the 3rd anniversary.... shared with many

96 Lytton Estate (60% zin, 35% petite sirah) - big, plummy, black fruit, loads of spice.

97 Mazzoni Home Ranch (60% zin, 35% Carignane) - Very youthful at 11 years old! Lots of acidity left, very lively, red fruit and spice. This is a big fat wine held together by its acidity and will keep getting better for several years more and hold long after that by my reckoning.

81 Ridge York Creek Cab - OMFG what a wine. It would have been fun to put this is the recent Ridge MB vertical. Huge flavors without huge body. Lots of tobacco, earth and loads of black fruit. Mushrooms & truffles on the nose.

96 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah - the label notes call this one of the prettiest Petites of the decade fro Ridge and it sure as shoot was! Blackberry loaded with tanning, tar & spice, like some cross between Conterno Barbera and a great Chateaunuef du Pape, yet totally Californian in style. Cant wait to revisit in 10 years. Opened at 9pm and finished at midnight and the wine was still opening up. Not bad for a 11 year old Pet.

In honor of Proof's one year anniversary last nite we (Haidar, Michael, Sebastian, and Ben, as well as some guests, staff and patrons) shared a dazzling array of wines. In order:

1. 96 Domaine Leflaive Batard Montrachet - liquid hazelnut elixir

2. 02 Cristal - this is going to be a legendary vintage

3. 96 Marcassin Marcassin Vineyard Pinot - dazzling fruit for a 12 year old Cali Pinot - brilliant winemaking by the goddess

4. 00 Pegau Cuvee da Capo CDP - at its peak, not sure how much better CDP can be

5. 85 Stags Leap Cask 23 Cabernet - for me, one of the greatest Cabs ever made - perfectly balanced, delicious and holding strong

6. 99 Guigal La Turque Cote Rotie - utterly mind blowing - my fave in an evening of giants

7. 90 Latour Pauillac - drinking beautifully - sweet, ripe, roasted fruit - tannins beautifully integrated

8. 83 D'yquem - my favorite recent vintage, a perfect way to end the celebration

I'm a very lucky guy.

So far tonight...a Beck's Dark, a few Smithwick's, an Irish coffee at Tom Bergin's, and now Miller Lite, as I recover from E3 and try to figure out how to write a non-condescending "first look" article on Atari's new DS game "What's Cooking? with Jamie Oliver".

Last night it was muddled basil, lime juice, simple syrup, a slice of lemon cucumber, and club soda, on ice. Really delicious. Would've been much better with a good slug or two of gin, though, but I need to cut back.

Saturday, for a cardamom-themed dinner party, one friend served cardamom and orange infused simple syrup in prosecco, a delicious drink for awful summer weather. Another made a cocktail with black cardamom bitters and brandy (I think). The bitters were brilliant.

with our son's 1st birthday, Bichot 'Clos Frantin' Vougeot 1983, against Hanzell Pinot 03, and Billecart Salmon. pretty good birthday for him, and us to enjoy the celebration :lol:

Since you mirrored my Dom Ruinart posting and upped it with the Krug, it is only fair I do the same ;)

It was my wife's birthday this weekend so we celebrated with the 1996 Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Elizabeth. Big and elegant at the same time. What was it that Joe Riley once wrote about Rose Champagne?