Brawn and Vim, Utter You "Hup Two"

Alas, I've been recruited to go to a BRIDAL EXPO. Shoot me now. Emotionally, if not physically taxing.... :P

I'd be up for doing something like this if there are more opportunities. I started the "novice" running program that synaesthesia recommended today. It was actually fun!

The forecast for this Saturday: mostly sunny, highs in the mid 60s.

Anyone want to get a start on the weight loss challenge by taking a nice hike along the C&O Canal?

Great idea! Will some part of the hike pass Fletcher's Boathouse? I live just uphill from there and might be up for providing refreshments...

If we start at Great Falls Park in MD, and biked down the trail, we could make it to Fletcher's, but that's 12 miles. A bit far for the first walk of the season!

I'm in, depending on time, though I'd rather bike than walk.

Parking near the canal is always an issue. I usually start way upstream, of course...

At any rate, I would prefer afternoon, and was thinking hiking ~3-4 miles. But really I'm good for anything after 10am, any distance up to ten miles, starting from anywhere.

Dan, feel free to start a biking group, too! But I'm sticking with walking/hiking for now.

Parking near the canal is always an issue. I usually start way upstream, of course...

At any rate, I would prefer afternoon, and was thinking hiking ~3-4 miles. But really I'm good for anything after 10am, any distance up to ten miles, starting from anywhere.

Do you think the parking lot at Great Falls will fill up in January, even if the weather is mild? Where do you usually go? Swains Lock?

Pick a start time and place - I'll be there. My only restriction is that I have to be home by 3.

Do you think the parking lot at Great Falls will fill up in January, even if the weather is mild? Where do you usually go? Swains Lock?

Are you kidding? The whole Great Falls area is like a zoo on any nice day, any time of year. I'm partial to Violette's Lock, Pennyfield Lock, and Riley's Lock. My favorite place is a tiny, relatively unknown park next to but not accessing the canal that I don't want to talk about on the interwebs. :P If people want to head that far out I'll gladly arrange the expedition next time.

For this Saturday, let's do an up-and-back starting at noon at Fletcher's, then we'll take Zora up on her generous offer.

If any newbies who don't know us by sight want to join, look for the short, dumpy woman with short brown hair and an annoying but adorable little white and tan dog. I'll probably wear a doofy black hat, too.

There are five people going already. Don't be shy about joining us!

Bump. Tomorrow (Saturday Jan 6), noon at the bridge at Flethcher's Boathouse on the C&O Canal for a three to four mile walk, ending at chez Margolis. Please post if you're joining us.
70 degrees, sunny and a snack chez Zora? I'm so there. Then I'm going to get my jaw wired shut.

If I meet y'all on the return, at the 1/2 mile mark at 12:45, can I join you at Chez Margolis? [3 mile walk = 1 hour, depending on your pace] I walked ~ 1 mile to the nearest Metro stop when they evacuated Union Station last week. One mile is about all I can do right now. Made pretty good time yet resulted in short term swelling and a limp the next day. It nearly "kilt" me.

Bump. Tomorrow (Saturday Jan 6), noon at the bridge at Flethcher's Boathouse on the C&O Canal for a three to four mile walk, ending at chez Margolis. Please post if you're joining us.
P.S. What does "bump" mean? It appears frequently on this board.

What does "bump" mean? It appears frequently on this board.
"Bump" is when you add a new message to a thread so that it shows up as having new messages and therefore gets everyone to refocus on it. They're bumping it up to your attention.

Yesterday, seven of us and two dogs walked about 4 miles on the towpath, ending at chez Zora, where we learned that there can be flavor without fat. Then at least two people drove to Ace beverage to stock up on wine. :P Thanks to all who joined us, and especially our hostess, for a great afternoon.

Weather permitting, I'll be setting up another hike next weekend, on another part of the canal. Long range forecast is for mostly sunny, highs in the mid 50s.

Suggestions for other hiking areas near DC are welcome.

Weather permitting, I'll be setting up another hike next weekend, on another part of the canal. Long range forecast is for mostly sunny, highs in the mid 50s.
That was fun! Not at all what I expected! If only you could guarantee 72 degrees and sunny next weekend too. Thanks for organizing this Porcupine, and thanks to Zora for the many tasty snacks and hospitality afterward. The towpath works well for walking or jogging, but all those bikers had the funniest mud splatter patterns on their backsides!

So the pool at Washington-Lee is now not going to be finished until 2009. And I'm still where I started at the beginning of the DR.com challenge. I love to walk, but not on my own, 'cause it's boring and it sucks. Is there anyone in Arlington who would care to meet up and do some strolling around the neighborhood? We won't be racing down the thoroughfares, I promise!

Help me help you help me! :lol:

I would be up for some walking.

So the pool at Washington-Lee is now not going to be finished until 2009. And I'm still where I started at the beginning of the DR.com challenge. I love to walk, but not on my own, 'cause it's boring and it sucks. Is there anyone in Arlington who would care to meet up and do some strolling around the neighborhood? We won't be racing down the thoroughfares, I promise!

Help me help you help me! :lol:

In her personal thread, Cucas87 expressed a desire to walk either at lunchtime near Union Station or after work and asked for company.

Normally I have to psych myself into hour-long walks and hate to plan ahead, but look at how gorgeous it is even now on an evening when thunderstorms loom. It's spring! Tweet!

Since Porcupine began this particular thread back in the winter and invitees were rewarded for their initiation by beautiful weather and Zora, I thought I'd post here again with two proposals--or requests:

1) Would anyone be interested in using this thread to "Whim", i.e., for the sake of getting together at the end of the day or a few days later at a set time, only to walk briskly through the budding world as opposed to drinking and dining? (Of course the latter two could serve as a coda if a suitable venue were convenient.)

2) While the information to the left of this text indicates my neighborhood, I don't know how many other SC participants might be close enough--or at spots convenient for meeting--to make occasional shared exercise practical.

If there is sufficient interest expressed, I'd be willing to coordinate pools of potential walking buddies based on location of work and/or home through PMs. I'll let members post responses here first or suggest alternatives.

1) Would anyone be interested in using this thread to "Whim", i.e., for the sake of getting together at the end of the day or a few days later at a set time, only to walk briskly through the budding world as opposed to drinking and dining? (Of course the latter two could serve as a coda if a suitable venue were convenient.)

Yes. I've been waaaaay too busy to organize anything this month, but it's been on my mind. My April is looking much slacker. Too slack...

Nonetheless, Porcupine, it is good to hear from you up here! I am sure there was some benefit in all the rushing around.

I tend to incorporate walking into errands Friday through Sunday and have a hard time motivating myself on Monday evenings, so I'd be up for a Whim on April 1 if others are thus inclined.

If anyone is interested in a C&O canal hike early Thursday evening, or sometime Sunday afternoon, I'll organize an informal outing. Some spots of the canal are almost carpeted in wildflowers, and the insects aren't quite out yet; it's a great time of year to hike.