I'm looking for delicious-by-Texas-standards queso in the Washington region. Chile con queso, not queso fundido. 

The only queso I've had in D.C. was from Chipotle, and it was so disappointing, I angry Tweeted at the company, which is not a habit of mine.

The Tex Mex places I can think of: Lauriol Plaza, Guapo's, Republic Cantina, Texas Jacks, Cactus Cantina. Does anyone have experience with the queso at these places, or others? Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Ruth Tam said:

I'm looking for delicious-by-Texas-standards queso in the Washington region. Chile con queso, not queso fundido. 

The only queso I've had in D.C. was from Chipotle, and it was so disappointing, I angry Tweeted at the company, which is not a habit of mine.

The Tex Mex places I can think of: Lauriol Plaza, Guapo's, Republic Cantina, Texas Jacks, Cactus Cantina. Does anyone have experience with the queso at these places, or others? Thanks!

My standard is Tippy's Tacos, but please don't judge me.

Try Jaleo, Oyamel, San Antionio Bar and Grill, and Rosa Mexicano.

9 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

My standard is Tippy's Tacos, but please don't judge me.

Laugh if you will, but before I read your reply, I was going to chime in and say that, 'If you don't mind Velveeta (or equivalent), the best Queso I've had in the area has been Tippy's Taco House.'

If you look at that thread, I'm certain that I said I used to get a California sunken platter, a pint of Queso on the side, and then pour the Queso over the entire tin container - I seem to have developed some sort of snotty, senior-citizen allergy to processed cheese in the past 10-20 years, but if you're looking for taste, and not necessarily overall quality, the Tippy's chains have it with their Chile con Queso.

Reminder to our 10-post members: This is the "Everything Else" Dining Guide.

I was looking for a Chile con Queso recipe online tonight that doesn't include Velveeta. I stumbled across this article by a Texan about making the dish without processed cheese. In it, the author says the way to avoid the oiliness and clumps usually associated with real-cheese queso is to make a bechamel sauce and then slowly fold in the shredded cheese. I am going to give her recipe a try.

Thought: Why not turn to Europe for the original melting cheeses, i.e., the ingredients in classic Swiss or Savoyarde fondue? These are world-class cheeses, that happen to be fusible, so why not start with them as a base, and then add poblanos et al? If you need your Queso to be orange, throw in some annatto.

• Like 2

I’ve used a product for quest called “pupusa” cheese,  which come shredded in a large bag in ethnic grocery stores, or in some of the larger urban supermarkets.  I have not been able to ascertain the exact name it type of this cheese, but it is very smooth when melted. It’s mild. Probably processed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DIShGo said:

I was looking for a Chile con Queso recipe online tonight that doesn't include Velveeta. I stumbled across this article by a Texan about making the dish without processed cheese. In it, the author says the way to avoid the oiliness and clumps usually associated with real-cheese queso is to make a bechamel sauce and then slowly fold in the shredded cheese. I am going to give her recipe a try.

She has a whole book on queso. Her recipes work quite well in general. While I have that book, I haven't actually made a queso recipe from it.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:48 PM, DIShGo said:

On 8/30/2019 at 1:58 PM, MsDiPesto said:

Serious Eats has this version made with Cheddar and Monterey Jack; https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/chili-con-queso-recipe.html

I made the queso from the Lisa Fain's Homesick Texan recipe, and I remember it to be quite excellent. The recipe on the Serious Eats site was created by Lisa as well. (The recipes are quite similar).

As a native Texan, I'll admit I crave good queso now and then. Chuy's version does the trick, and the standby velveeta and rotel version does as well.

• Like 1

I thought Sweetwater Tavern had it, but maybe it is just a special, and it could technically be Queso Fundido... I can't recall now. 

A dirty secret of mine is I like to go to Moe's and mix a little salsa from the salsa bar into the cup of queso.  I don't go as often now that we moved, there used to be a Moe's in the shopping we frequented before we moved.

21 hours ago, Ruth Tam said:

For those saying "don't judge me" or "laugh if you will": All tips about queso are good tips. Thank you!

PS - Even if you don't use Alpine cheeses, you can still use the cookware.

Swissmar Lugano 9-Piece Cast Iron Fondue Set

Not sure how well the forks will be able to spear a tortilla, but it's worth a shot (and the cherry color would be perfect for a festive Queso meal).