Jimmy John's Gourmet Subs, An Illinois Chain with Over 1,000 Locations Nationwide

I saw a sign for a Jimmy John's in Columbia the other day.....coming soon. What exactly is it?

Only the greatest sandwich shop EVER!! OK, it was the greatest sandwich shop in Evanston, IL when I was in college (and drunk). Fresh bread, great price, and they delivered free until 2:00AM or something. We knew our delivery guy by name, and he'd stop off to pick up beer for us if we asked.

If you went to a large school in the Midwest (almost every Big Ten school at least) in the last 15 years or so you probably know JJ's. I literally almost crashed my car on the way back from IKEA when I saw the one in College Park. Our previous closest sighting was in Pittsburgh. Looks like there's one in Alexandria near the Eisenhower Theater now, too.

Man, now I want JJ's for lunch. They would make a killing if one opened up near GW or Georgetown.

They are really good sandwiches. I drive over there (Alexandria) sometimes with some folks from the office just for the sandwiches (and we're in DC!). The guy who owns the Alexandria locations (Karl) is just about one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

meh. I wouldn't exactly call them "gourmet" subs. Personally, if I were to compare them to other chain sandwich shops (Subway, Quiznos, Potbelly), I'd rank it last. Thats just me. I feel the bread is too squishy, and that there is a lack of choice regarding the toppings.

meh. I wouldn't exactly call them "gourmet" subs. Personally, if I were to compare them to other chain sandwich shops (Subway, Quiznos, Potbelly), I'd rank it last. Thats just me. I feel the bread is too squishy, and that there is a lack of choice regarding the toppings.

Last with those three? Wow! JJ's has much better meat and toppings than the others that you listed above. The meat at Subway always looks incredibly gross and cheap. It has been a while since I have been to JJ's, but that is what I remember.

Blasphemer!! :unsure:

But last after Quizno's? Really? At least squishy bread doesn't require oral anesthetics after a meal :lol:

Last with those three? Wow! JJ's has much better meat and toppings than the others that you listed above. The meat at Subway always looks incredibly gross and cheap. It has been a while since I have been to JJ's, but that is what I remember.

I dunno. My wife went to U of M and swore by 'em while she was there, but neither one of us were impressed by our visits to the one in Alexandria. I felt like my choices for toppings were mayo, mustard, lettuce and tomato. Thats it (toppings are key, in my opinion, at these places since none of them use Boarshead or any other quality meat products). And I felt like I had no "input" as to what went on the sandwich, as opposed to the assembly line type construction that takes place at the other three. I've just had bland, squishy, over-mayoed blobs at JJs. At least you can get hot peppers and crunchy veggies at the other three. Again, thats just me. And wouldn't it be nice if there were some actual delicatessens around here so we wouldn't even have to have this discussion? :lol:

Oh, yes, I know full well the value of Potbelly. Between Chipotle and Jimmy Johns, Potbelly fueled me through many a late-night cram session in college.

Oh! Someone else knows that Jimmy Johns exists!! I thought they were just a midwest thing, although I swore I saw one in College Park once...

There's a Jimmy Johns in Alexandria near the Whole Foods on Duke Street. (Alexandria address is 330 John Carlyle St.) I hadn't heard of it before and was wondering about it. Now I'm curious.

It's not going to be like Earl's or Italian Store subs, but I think it has a decent roll and builds a pretty hefty sandwich. The neat thing here is if you're not a fan of bread you can get a "lettuce wrap" where they put all the ingredients to make one giant lettuce cup like deal. At least I think it's neat.

My experience with JJs is like that of Ulterior Epicure - I lived off those sandwiches when I was studying for my prelims. There's a veggie sub with avocado that I always got, and now I'm thinking I need one for lunch today.

My experience with JJs is like that of Ulterior Epicure - I lived off those sandwiches when I was studying for my prelims. There's a veggie sub with avocado that I always got, and now I'm thinking I need one for lunch today.

I am pretty sure that they are at every Big School.. At WVU I ate there almost after a night of drinking..the goood ole times..

You know when you are making a mistake, and you know that you are making that mistake, but you make it anyway?  That is what lunch was like for me today.

I have been hearing a lot of commercials about Jimmy John's on the radio, so I figured I would check it out.  I started my walk there and hesitated once I got to Breadline.  Could I really pass up Breadline to go to Jimmy John's (even though I ate at Breadline just last week)?  Figuring that it is only fair for me to try ALL of the sandwich places in the world so that I can compare them to one another, I bypassed Breadline and went to Jimmy John's.

Even though the menu seemed simple, I had a hard time digesting it.  Maybe it was just me, but it seemed annoyingly scattered.  Anyway, after finding out they didn't have any hot sandwiches (boo!), I decided on their bootlegger club.  They asked me if I wanted cheese on it, I asked what kinds they have, they told me provolone (only one kind of cheese, boo!), and I said yes.  99 cents later, I had provolone cheese on my sandwich.  Why there is no cheese on this sandwich, but on almost all of their other sandwiches, is kind of crappy (boo!).  I then asked if I could add bacon and they said yes, but it would be $1.79 (boo!).  Thinking that they may actually pile it on for that price, I said yes, but they only added two pieces to it (by comparison, you can get bacon at Subway for $1.00 and that is four slices).  In the end, the bootlegger club with cheese and bacon, and a bag of chips, was $11+.  Walking away with this sandwich in my hand, it reminded me of one from Potbelly (size and weight) and I was thinking that the same order at Potbelly would be about $8+ (boo! on value).

Overall, I will say that the sandwich was not bad, especially the bread (yea!).  The jalapeno chips I got (their brand) were pretty good too (yea!).  But, in the end, I just don't see a lot to differentiate Jimmy John's from the slew of other sandwich places out there.  In fact, I would put this near the bottom of that list in value.

• Like 2

My personal opinion is that JJ ranks at the bottom of the chain sub joints, even lower than Quiznos, of which I'm not a fan. The sandwiches are dry (no oil and vinegar?). The bread:meat ratio is too high for me (my preference is a little bread and more "stuff"). It ain't cheap. My wife and I went to the store in Tysons soon after it opened a couple of years ago (?) and I thought I wrote a less-than-flattering review then. I guess I just wrote it in my head. Needless to say, I've never been back.

All this jj talk today made me detour from 495 on my way home to college park to get a sandwich, first off college park sucks, too many one ways and no u-turns, and overall I do not care for the area. Especially since my nice small sedan is in the shop and I'm stuck with a f-250 diesel right now, that being said I ordered a Italian cold cut and a drink, before I could even put my card back in my wallet it was ready. Sandwich was a little dry( but I like my Italian cold cut from the pre made fridge at litteris so it's all soaked). It wasn't all that bad. Plus on the crushed ice for the fountain drinks.

I would definitely put Jimmy John's above Quizno's and Blimpie (are there even any of these left?).  There are some things that I like about Jimmy John's over Subway or Potbelly or Firehouse, but in the end, I would say that Jimmy John's ranks slightly lower than all three of those places (again, this is after one visit, and this is mostly value driven).  And, I think that all of these places are lower on the scale than Jersey Mike's or Penn Station East Coast Subs.  And, still again, all of these places fall behind Jettie's and Taylor Gourmet and TakEatEasy and DC Po Boy (all of which are in walking distance from my office).