Dr.Com dinner at Restaurant Eve Tasting Room

hillvalley

Cathal is inviting members of dr.com to a no-holds-barred, "I'm going to blow you guys away" multicourse dinner in the Tasting Room of Restaurant Eve. It will be sometime in September, probably on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening. Please PM hillvalley the dates that you'll be available for this as soon as possible, and a decision will be made on the exact date and time soon. Even if you have no strong preference for dates, let me know if you're interested in coming.

Also, Cathal is going to do this for a greatly reduced price: $65 for food alone, or $100 for food plus wine (this is bordering on charity). The price includes tax, but not tip, and will be prepaid through PayPal. The nominal PayPal fee will be added to the final price.

First-come, first-served. Get your reservations in early!

P.S. Visitors: why don't you register and join us?

I am thrilled with the response I am getting (especially from those of you who have not joined us for an event before) but we have decided to narrow down the dates to make the planning a bit easier.

Unless you are free all five dates please be specific about which dates you are free.

Also, unless you can swear on your next meal that I know your real name please include it in your pm so I can keep track.

Feel free to mention now if you want the wine pairing. I don't need a commitment yet but if you know you are planning on doing it let me know.

Edited by hillvalley

All right. Take a deep breath (or a shot of vodka, your choice) because there have been some changes. If we can get 20 people for any of the following dates we can have the whole room.

Thursday the 8th Thursday the 15h

Monday the 19th Tuesday the 20th Wednesday the 21st

Don apologizes for all the changes and the fact that we have to start from the begining.

There are a lot of you I am in the middle of Pm'ing. I am going to not respond to any of those and start over. I am wiping the past 1 1/2 of pming and starting fresh.

So, if you are interested in joining us for any of those date please let me know which ones and your real name.

Again, Don apologizes for the changes but it's for our benefit.

edited by donrocks: [my my aren't we cranky]

edited by hillvalley: [only when you change dates on me]

Cathal is inviting members of dr.com to a no-holds-barred, "I'm going to blow you guys away" multicourse dinner in the Tasting Room of Restaurant Eve.

Are we going to refer to this dinner as "The North Wind" dinner?

And, what did we do to deserve this? I figured we really pissed him off by asking all those hard essay questions on the chat.

Here it is, what you have all been waiting for: the final date is Thursday the 15th. Time to be determined.

If you received a PM or email from me confirming your spot you are in pending payment. There is no need to respond to my confirmation except with your payment through PayPal, the details of which will be coming soon.

Otherwise you should have received a note confirming your spot on the waiting list.

Yes, folks, there is a growing waiting list. Your spot is valuable property right now. If you have to cancel please let me know ASAP!!! People who would not otherwise be able to enjoy Chef Cathal's art would like you spot.

If you are just learning about the event now and are interested please drop me a PM and I will add you to the list. I have never had an event were people did not cancel so there is hope.

Sorry for all the confusion earlier. I am thrilled with the response and can't wait to put faces to most of the screen names :P

For those of you who keep asking, at least 1/3 are members who have never attended an organized event.

Just to clarify here, there is only going to be one dinner. There is a waiting list. There are no plans for a second dinner.

Hope that helps :P

Also, I'll be sending out PayPal information in the very near future. Payment through PayPal will be final confirmation of your reservation. Details forthcoming.

Thanks to everyone!

The PayPal email for the cost of the dinner just went out (Kanishka you are the best!!!!). The $65 includes dinner and tax but not Paypal fees or tip. Please let me know if you think you should have recieved it but did not.

I will deal with the wine pairings in a few days.........

Alright, the new PayPal email, that includes PayPal fees has been sent out. Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry for the confusion, someday I will stop making the same mistake :wub:

If anyone from PayPal is reading, I've got some customer feedback if you want it :P

Speaking of PayPal....

Keep your Calander Diva happy....take a moment and complete your PayPal transaction today. Remember, your payment serves as your registration. I have a wait list of 26 people who are hoping you will drop out. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'll deal with the wine pairing in the next couple of days.

FYI-I will not send you a Paypal for the wine pairing until you have paid for the dinner. Like I said in my PM, I would really appreciate it if you took the time and completed the transaction today.

Don't forget to let me know if you are interested in the wine pairing before Friday. If I don't hear from you I am going to assume you are not interested.

There is a deadline.  If I have not received payment by then I will start working my way down the list :lol:

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! :P:lol: Now, if we can only come up with a way to encourage the people to "forget" to pay.... :P:wub:

Edited by Pete

Thank you to everyone who has completed their PayPal transaction. I've never had people take care of it so quickly.

I sent out the wine pairing PayPal to those of you who have already paid (or talked to me) and requested the pairing. Again, please take care of this as soon as you can.

We could actually have all the planning done by Tuesday! Thanks :P

For those of you hanging out in the limbo that is the waiting list.....if I get any cancellations I will email or PM you to let you I have a spot open for you. I have no way of knowing if, when, or how many spots may open up but if you are up next on the list I will let you know asap. Until then there isn't a whole lot I can do.

The dinner is going to be at 7:30.

I hope that helps those of us who are coming from the burbs or class, but is early enough for those of us who will actually have to go into work the next day :P

Just a reminder: If you have not received an email and PMs and PayPal emails you are not on my list for the dinner. There are no spots available and a long waiting list. If you are the gambling type and want to bet on the chance that 2/3 of the people cancel, feel free to PM me.

Since we are finally only a week away I thought I would pop the thread back up with some bits of info that other have asked.

To those on the waiting list, please do not contact me to find out if a spot has opened up for you or your party. If a spot does open up and you are next on the list I will let you know. (I don't mean to be rude here but my non-virtual life is important right now and I do not have the time to answer a lot of PM's.)

For those who will be at the dinner:

We are to be there at 7:30. They will have a list of who is in our group at the hostess stand. (Someone remind me to send it to Thrasher next week!) Cathal is planning on passing around something in the beginning in case you are running late or have places you need to be until 7 (like me, grrrrrr).

Parking on the street can be difficult to find but there is a lot across the street.

There will not be seating assignments so I expect you old timers to step up and sit with the newbies to show them that we aren't that scary.

No, there will not be name tags.

There are people taking the Metro from DC so if you can offer a ride either from DC or the Metro please post it or let me know (but only if you are really really shy :P ). If you need a ride please post it here. Again, I would love to have the time to coordinate this for you but right now my paying job is more important.

I know as much about the menu as you do :lol:

See you in a week! :D:D:D

I'm going to be in the general Ballston area (NFATC at 4000 Arlington Blvd)... is this near anyone else so I can snag a ride? Please PM me if this is possible so we can trade numbers. My access to DR.com is limited during the day, but I'll be on the old computer for some time on Thursday wasting away one of my few open days at "work". Also, a return ride -- either to a blue/orange line metro or if fates be kind, The Hill, would really be appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting and eating!

Hope you've stopped eating.....I had a sneak peak last night and all I can say is your cholesterol level will raise and all the major animal groups appear to be represented although there are no bivalves. A few of the other food groups are covered as well :lol: There was one thing on the menu that I had never heard of but was assured by Don is fantastic.

A request has been made for name tags. I hate them but if someone wants to volunteer to bring them and pens and promises to make sure that there is no name tag trash lying around feel free to volunteer.

See you all in 27 hours :P

There was one thing on the menu that I had never heard of but was assured by Don is fantastic.

Ooh, that sounds perfect!

I'll be taking the Metro out but will probably be scouting around for a ride or cabshare back if anyone's headed to Adams Morgan. The yellow line is infinitely less charming when one is sated, tipsy, and eager to hit the hay.

Jael

Okay a change in plans and an amended request... is anyone driving from Capitol Hill, or is there someone that can pick me up/drop me off at the Ballston metro station (or whatever Blue or Orange line station that is most convenient? It really would be appreciated -- please PM me. Thank you very much!

Kanishka

In addition, there is a local bus service called DASH that runs up and down King Street.  The restauant is a block off King Street on South Pitt.  Get off the bus at the Holiday Inn, Eve is in the same block as the hotel, directly behind it on S. Pitt.

And for those who haven't had the pleasure of taking DASH, it is free, and therefore awesome.

Jael

In addition, there is a local bus service called DASH that runs up and down King Street.  The restauant is a block off King Street on South Pitt.  Get off the bus at the Holiday Inn, Eve is in the same block as the hotel, directly behind it on S. Pitt.
Great suggestion! Now I'll really be able to enjoy the wine pairings without worrying about having to leave my car.

How dressy?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Think: Equinox, Vidalia, Tosca, 2941, back room at Palena. Not: Maestro, Galileo, Citronelle. Tasting Room is a bit more dressy than the bistro, but not at all stuffy. Guys should wear a collared shirt at the minimum, sportcoat and slacks are fine too, but a suit and tie is not a requirement (although it's perfectly appropriate). Dress smartly but for comfort, and make sure to have an extra notch or two on your belt.

And for those who haven't had the pleasure of taking DASH, it is free, and therefore awesome.

Jael

Unfortunately, DASH is only free on the weekends. The regular fare is, however, only $1.00, and there are 4 different lines (2, 3, 5, 7) that run from King St. Metro down King Street to Old Town. Route/schedule information can be found on the DASH website.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

Please remember that the price of the meal includes tax, BUT NOT TIP OR DRINKS. Also, the meal is discounted (especially for what you guys are being served), so tips really should be based on a higher price. There was no fee for reserving the full room, and extra staff will be working to handle the event. Service will be terrific, I'm certain. Even if you aren't drinking alcohol this evening, you can throw a little extra revenue to the house by ordering a non-alcoholic drink or some bottled water, or you could always palm the sommelier a portrait of Lincoln, Hamilton or Jackson on the way out. These are all just suggestions, but they make sense to me.

Here are my suggested minimums, but you're certainly free to leave what you wish:

Food only ($65): $20 each

Food and wine ($100): $30 each (don't forget you aren't only paying for the wine, but also the wine service, extra dishwashers, etc.)

I hate even mentioning this stuff, but it's better than not mentioning it.

Rocks.