What Are You Simmering Right Now? A Place for Mid-Stew Musings

jparrott

I was frustrated that I couldn't find the galangal and kaffir lime leaves anywhere in DC. No whole foods, no Bestway. :(

In Virginia, Bangkok 54 and Duangrat usually have frozen kaffir lime leaves, and sometimes fresh ones. They always have frozen galangal and sometimes fresh. There is usually fresh galangal at Grand Mart. Frozen kaffir lime leaves would work fine in rendang. Frozen galangal is often better than fresh.

I've been making chicken and orzo soup this week. I don't make the stock, but throw in carrots, celery, onions, garlic, roasted red peppers, drop of soy sauce and a small amount of chili-garlic sauce to keep it interesting. Next time I'll toast the orzo first as I read in Rachel Ray's (yes, her) recipe.

in the oven: beef chuck roast braising in adobo, pork broth and aromatics.

I've got a chuck roast in the oven too. Pipeline Porter and beef stock for the liquid; thyme, onions, and carrots. Mushrooms will go in closer to dinnertime.

Suddenly came down with a cold Friday, so I trekked out onto the icy sidewalks in my pseudoephedrined state this morning to get ingredients for chicken soup. I've got almost 8 quarts of soup sitting in the kitchen now. Basically the only thing I'm eating this weekend besides tea with honey and yogurt... Am always amazed at what a difference using fresh, crushed herbs is for chicken soup.

น้ำพริกเผา nam prik pao, "roasted" chili sauce. I deep fried about a cup each of whole garlic, shallots, and dried red chilies. Ground this to a paste with salt, bonito flakes, salted black beans, fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind. Now it's simmering in oil smelling very nice. It's usually made with shrimp paste (กะปิ) and dried shrimp instead of black beans and bonito, but since my wife is allergic I can't just buy this in a jar at the store. It's also fun to make.

More freezer-emptying to make a mixed stock of chicken (roasted carcasses and fresh, skinless thighs) and veal bones (leftover from osso buco, mostly, but three small, uncooked ones got roasted). It's something done to make brodo, so I figured why not? Also a chance to get rid of fresh and frozen leek greens. Once you get over the fact that the flavor isn't that clean, bright taste of a rich chicken stock, it's quite nice for a change and it really adds something to:

Leek and potato soup made with about a quart of the stock. Kept some of the skins on. Added 3/4 cup diced, oven-roasted yellow plum tomatoes. Only partially puréed to retain bits and pieces, pouring in about 1/2 cup light cream at end. Good, but wish I had left the cream out altogether since I am losing my taste for rich, creamy soups....or it could be the rustic/rich thing was more Good Twin/Bad Twin than Ying and Yang.

In the oven: "elephant beans" which have been called gigante beans when I've bought them in the past. These were purchased at Shemali's, which is in the Ace Beverages building. I am slow cooking them with lots of aromatic veg, toasted ground fennel and cumin seeds and porcini powder. When they are most of the way cooked I will add some chopped tomato. My veggie BIL is coming for dinner on Saturday, along with some omnivorous cousins, so all of the sides I am making need to be veggie-friendly. Our main will be charcoal-grilled boneless lamb leg, which has been marinating since Monday in a mix of Greek yogurt, mint, thyme, rosemary, onion, garlic and lemon.

Our marathon team had a Chili Cook-Off fundraiser last night, so I spent most of the weekend simmering my contribution - a Texas-style chile con carne. The original "recipe," I believe, came from Cook's Illustrated - but I got it from a local food blogger (who put his own spin on it) and then messed with it a little more once I started tasting. It turned out well - spicy, slightly smoky, with big chunks of steak and deep flavors from browning and sauteeing various ingredients on the stovetop before loading everything into the Crock-Pot.

I came in second! :D The winner was a delicious chicken and tofu chili, which REALLY hacked off the folks who swore by their beefy versions.

Which oil did you use as the base? Can't wait to hear how it turned out, I'm making that recipe soon, for certain.

I used soybean oil thinking (correctly) that any oil flavor would not show through the spices. It's still pretty mild but very fragrant right now. I think the heat will intensify as it melds with the chili flakes.

currently oven-rendering the skin from two whole ducks (from Grand Mart) for duck fat . I also boned out the carcasses, so have bones for stock and meat for rillettes. Also have 8 skin-on duck legs that will be cured and confited. got a hint from a guy at the dog park, that duck legs (from Canada) are available at the Clarendon Giant. No luck last week--just duck breasts were delivered, but found some this week on Tuesday, the weekly delivery day.

got a hint from a guy at the dog park, that duck legs (from Canada) are available at the Clarendon Giant.

Too funny--duck leg intel at the dog park. we've had people score new jobs, find a vacation home and get recruited for community service at our dog park. also vet reccs. Lots of 'em but that's of course to be expected.

I simmered a corned beef I picked up at TJs over the weekend. I did not budget enough time on Saturday to finish it, so it was eaten on Sunday, to continue the St. Patty's extravaganza. I used some of the hints from Cooks Test Kitchen to improve it, such as cooking it in chicken broth, adding a bay leaf and some onion and carrot chunks. The strained broth was used to cook fingerling potatoes, and I took Sietsema's suggestion from the Post of shredding brussels sprouts and stir frying them with onion and garlic in olive oil. I'm going to make corned beef hash with the leftovers.

^the primary reason I can't get an ice cream maker: the affordable ones require that the canister(s) be frozen beforehand, and my freezer is always full of containers of various kinds of stock. No room.

Ha, yes, obviously I have that problem as well. At least stock resembles food, which frozen carcasses and bags of scraps do not (or so my husband tells me). As long as it doesn't get too hot there will be some soups/curries/stews in our near future. I can't wait until we live somewhere big enough to house a separate freezer, so my stockpile can grow in peace.

boiling water in an old pickle jar in the microwave, to sterilize it

cause I found gorgeous baby Kirby cukes (with flowers still dangling) at the Courthouse market this morning, and a quiveringly fresh stalk of garlic, with the head just formed, and some fresh dill.

And I'm going to make fermented pickles.