Generous George's (Was Generous George's Positive Pizza and Pasta Place) - Now A Franchise In Herndon - Closed

On 8/17/2005 at 6:19 PM, 'jparrott said:

Hey, don't knock Generous George's so hard just because the description the Post gave was inane. It's a useful joint for carbo-loading. And now that the Annandale location has been replaced by an Ilmee, there are exactly the right number of them.

Now closed in Alexandria.

Went over the weekend. I thought the pizza was simply ok, but overpriced. No, it's not insanely priced, but it's $3-4 more for a large than my usual go-to at Tony's NY Pizza in Fair Lakes or Ciro's in Centreville. I think we'll go back, though, and let the kids do the make-your-own pizza. I'm sure they'll enjoy that. They even get their own white chef's hat!

As a regular lurker, and occasional commenter, I wanted to let the community know that I have recently acquire the building that held the Alexandria Location that shuttered about 18 months ago. We are in the process of finishing design and starting demo and construction. We are going to put two restaurants in the space. The major piece will be Ginny's, a southern bistro with a seasonal menu. The second will be the Esquire Dog, a take-out focused business that will feature artisanal hot dogs and seasonal sausages in the afternoon and evenings and coffee and beignets and coffee in the morning.

The building is going to require a great deal of overhaul, from its age and condition, and modification, as we are going to hopefully create a better dining room and kitchen and a substantial outdoor dining space. Our goal is summer of next year. But as with all construction and restaurant opening, we are trying not to be overly optimistic as to create any false hopes (in us or our future guests). We look forward to seeing you and your comments in the near future.

As a regular lurker, and occasional commenter, I wanted to let the community know that I have recently acquire the building that held the Alexandria Location that shuttered about 18 months ago. We are in the process of finishing design and starting demo and construction. We are going to put two restaurants in the space. The major piece will be Ginny's, a southern bistro with a seasonal menu. The second will be the Esquire Dog, a take-out focused business that will feature artisanal hot dogs and seasonal sausages in the afternoon and evenings and coffee and beignets and coffee in the morning.

The building is going to require a great deal of overhaul, from its age and condition, and modification, as we are going to hopefully create a better dining room and kitchen and a substantial outdoor dining space. Our goal is summer of next year. But as with all construction and restaurant opening, we are trying not to be overly optimistic as to create any false hopes (in us or our future guests). We look forward to seeing you and your comments in the near future.

Unfortunately, it seems that this idea didn't' work out.  I noticed a new "for sale" sign on the restaurant on my way in to the office this morning.

Jul 8, 2014 - "Yate's Pizzeria Looking to Bring Back Feel of Generous George's" by Katie Callahan on alextimes.com

This article is from almost two years ago - I drove by the original (Duke Street) location the other day, and the sign for Yate's is still hung atop a semi-demolished building. I suspect someone may have bought this land on the cheap, and is - for whatever reason - running into major delays. From what I can best remember, it doesn't look much different than it did about a year ago, but it definitely looks like someone is at least trying.

I remember going to the Alexandria Generous George's as long ago as the late 1980's, and although my palate wasn't very well developed back then, I remember it as being a genuinely *fun* place to go. I suspect the pizza was "good" not "great," but Generous George's was a tremendously popular restaurant twenty-five years ago.

1 hour ago, weezy said:

I saw a sign on Table Talk that it's a Yates property now.

As is the old Generous Georges location and Hunting Creek on King St..  Jeff Y. seems to be on a restaurant buying spree, he bought Table Talk almost a year ago .

I took a look at their website and noticed they have make-your-own-pizza for kids. So I took my 6.5yo daughter out there for dinner. They'll give your kid a helium balloon if you ask.

The service was great, and my daughter loved making her own black olive-laden pizza-- she loves black olives. The tables were rather sparsely populated for prime time on a Saturday night, so I don't know how sustainable their business is. The pizza itself was better than your average American-style pie with good sauce and cheese, but the crust was the very doughy and thick variety. We might go back since it has a nice atmosphere for kids. It sure as hell beats going to Chuck E. Cheese's.

As per usual I forgot to take my box of leftovers.

20160820_202128.jpg

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

Good to know about the make your own pizza!  Thanks for the report.

You don't get to pop it into the oven or anything. They bring out a plate with the raw dough on it and some little cups with sauce, cheese, and toppings. You load it up, they take it to the kitchen, and there you go!