porcupine

German Gourmet, Excellent German Market in Bailey's Crossroads with Delicious Prepared Sausage Sandwiches and Other German Cuisine - Great German Beer Selection

So, yesterday the mister and I were out running errands, and were heading west on Lee Highway after stops at Arrowine and Artisan Confections, feeling a bit peckish and wondering what to do for lunch, when a banner caught my eye:

Hot Brats to Go

So what could we do but make a quick u-turn and stop in?

I got mine plain, without sauerkraut or mustard, on a hard roll. Wonderful. Crispy skin, juicy meat, nutmeg-scented. Fantastic. Picked up some beers I hadn't seen before, since I was there.

The place was hopping, too. Nice deli counter with all sorts of meats, and pastries, and other baked goods, and good German beer selection, and wine, and boxed and canned goods.

Why does no one mention this place? Or did the sucky Invision search engine fail me again?

Joe H   

This place is a treasure which, in truth, is one of many that are rarely discussed on any message board. They also carry "real" German bread and rolls which are otherwise unavailable in the D. C. area. I've gone to it for years, supplimenting that which I've brought back on airplanes from Germany. It is well worth seeking out for those reading this thread. We are, indeed, fortunate to have a source like this. Thanks for mentioning it, Porcupine.

PS You need to try Roberto's pizza!

Pool Boy   

Porcu-- Where exactly is it again? Usually when we hit Arrowine, we're hitting a circuit of Arrowine, Crisp & Juicy and Cheestique. But Hot Brats To Go would make me do a u-turn, too.

yeah, everyone should at least go by once ;)

being from germany, it was a pleasure to shop there a few weeks ago .... lots of familiar brands and products. they are opening up a second location - i think planned was end of summer, but this was still in the making and not rock-solid.

check out their website - also for the address here: http://www.german-gourmet.com/

I've gone in there on and off ever since I moved to the area eleven years ago. I thought it was interesting when the proprieter told me that he preferred Randolph's pastries to the ones he sells in his store. He was the one I found out about Randolph's from, in fact. I have bought wursts to cook at home, but haven't eaten one there. How did you manage not to go to Elevation Burger, which is just down the way a bit?

DonRocks   
How did you manage not to go to Elevation Burger, which is just down the way a bit?

As you're heading west on Lee Highway from Route 7, German Gourmet is about 1/4-mile past Elevation Burger (Elevation Burger will be on your right; German Gourmet will be on your left). I've driven past it about 100 times, and each time I slap myself for never having been in to try the bratwursts.

Cheers,

Rocks.

PS don't forget Lebanese Butcher is right in that area, too.

PPS if you keep going, there's an unknown churrascaria on your right which I believe is called Victor's II. This, of course, begs the question: Where is Victor's I?

PPPS porcupine, if you were feeling peckish, why didn't you get some chicken at Crisp and Juicy?

How did you manage not to go to Elevation Burger, which is just down the way a bit?

Easy: I don't like hamburgers.

and DonRocks wrote:

"PPPS porcupine, if you were feeling peckish, why didn't you get some chicken at Crisp and Juicy?"

Vetoed by Mr. P. :P But if we'd done that, we wouldn't've gone to German Gourmet. ;)

and Pool Boy wrote:

"Where exactly is it again?"

What Rocks wrote. 7185 Lee Hwy. http://pages.areaguides.com/german-gourmet/

PS - can anybody explain how to make 'add reply' and 'quote' from two different messages in the same reply?

DonRocks   
PS - can anybody explain how to make 'add reply' and 'quote' from two different messages in the same reply?

1. For each post you wish to quote, click on the "+ Quote" button on the bottom-right of that post.

2. Click on "Add Reply" down at the bottom of the page.

All quoted posts will appear in your reply box. You may need to cut out unwanted text from the quoted posts for brevity, but more importantly, you must pay heed to the very real possibility of triple spacing in this situation.

Do they have currywurst?

oh, i think they do ;) and they have fantastic 'leberkaese' ....mmmh we got a lot of sausage and other meat products there - too bad our freezer is limited in size!

German Gourmet ... Lebanese Butcher ... I'm just waiting for the Swedish Chef.

come to think of it - wouldn't that be an awesome marketing idea for a swedish chef to open a restaurant in the US?

Banco   
Do they have currywurst?

Just to be clear, currywurst is simply bratwurst cut up into bite-size pieces, sprinkled with curry powder, and served with ketchup and fries. Generally, you get it at an Imbiss (somewhat like our hot-dog stands, preferably in Berlin) not at a shop.

. they are opening up a second location - i think planned was end of summer, but this was still in the making and not rock-solid.

check out their website - also for the address here: http://www.german-gourmet.com/

That explains why I've seen their sign on a building right near El Pollo Campero on Columbia Pike!

Every 4th of July we have an annual camping trip, and we always bring brats for one night from the German Gourmet. This year we were running really low on time, so we just grabbed them from whole foods. There was hell to pay. All future brats must come from the German Gourmet!

Just to be clear, currywurst is simply bratwurst cut up into bite-size pieces, sprinkled with curry powder, and served with ketchup and fries. Generally, you get it at an Imbiss (somewhat like our hot-dog stands, preferably in Berlin) not at a shop.

That may be how they actually serve it in Germany, but I've had a version here in the states that was delicious, and not how you've described it. My experience was that it was like an amazing bratwurst that was cooked in curry (or curry powder) or however, and it tasted and smelled of curry, and was served whole on a bun, like a brat, with saurkraut on top. DELICIOUS. Got it at this great little German bar in NYC. It's that version I hope they sell at German Gourmet, but if they have your version, I'll happily try that too.

Banco   
That may be how they actually serve it in Germany, but I've had a version here in the states that was delicious, and not how you've described it. My experience was that it was like an amazing bratwurst that was cooked in curry (or curry powder) or however, and it tasted and smelled of curry, and was served whole on a bun, like a brat, with saurkraut on top. DELICIOUS. Got it at this great little German bar in NYC. It's that version I hope they sell at German Gourmet, but if they have your version, I'll happily try that too.

I think your version sounds better!

I stopped by the German Gourmet last week to get a fix of brats, sausages, stuffed bacon roll (try this!) and to see what is new. I found that they have opened a second larger location, with parking, and more German merchandise. On November 3rd they will close their old location for the day and have a grand opening complete with samples, giveaways, and surprises!

I urgebeveryone to give this place a try! Grab a copy of their sausage guide and order away!

Old location

7185 Lee Highway

Falls Church, VA 22046

Phone: 703-534-1908 Fax: 703-237-6302

German Gourmet has opened a second location at

5838 Columbia Pike,

Falls Church, VA 22041;

Phone/FAX: 703.379.8080

it is still too small at the new location, and yes there is still no parking. if you went this afternoon at 3 pm you know what we mean :blink:

but great brats, and the usual stuff. plus "brotchen" rolls hot out of the oven by chance. what's not to like if one is out that way.

r clair

alex, va 22308

[i urgebeveryone to give this place a try! Grab a copy of their sausage guide and order away!

Old location

7185 Lee Highway

Falls Church, VA 22046

5838 Columbia Pike,

Falls Church, VA 22041;

sorry, forgot to mention we got the Hausmacher brats. to paraphrase Homer ... "Ummm ... Brats!" we'll be back saturday for the Bauren. by the way, if one is coming "up" 244 (left to right from the freeway) they are on the left side.

to bad they don't do fries :blink:

robert clair

alex, va 22308

it is still too small at the new location, and yes there is still no parking. if you went this afternoon at 3 pm you know what we mean :P

but great brats, and the usual stuff. plus "brotchen" rolls hot out of the oven by chance. what's not to like if one is out that way.

r clair

alex, va 22308

[i urgebeveryone to give this place a try! Grab a copy of their sausage guide and order away!

Old location

7185 Lee Highway

Falls Church, VA 22046

5838 Columbia Pike,

Falls Church, VA 22041;

We were at the new location around 3:00 on Saturday as well, and got the Hausmacher and Bauern wurst with sauerkraut. Also tried the carrot salad and german potato salad. The wurst and kraut was delicious. The rolls they use are good -- neither too hard and crispy nor too soft and mushy. The potato salad at Heidelburg Pastry Shoppe is better in my opinion -- the potatoes in the German Gourmet's potato salad were too soft and I didn't detect enough bacon flavor. The German Gourmet offers more variety than Heidelburg as far as the types of wurst you can get for your sandwich. The selection of cold cuts was phenomenal. We plan to try the smoked pork loin, the stuffed veal breast, the bacon roll, the tongue and the double smoked bacon in time. They have a selection of pates and terrines including venison and rabbit, and in addition, in the freezer they have all kinds of game sausages. They also have breads and pastries. This is a great addition for the food loving community.

ill have to remember that when I am in falls church!

right now we reguarly go to Eidelweiss on I81 in va souther of Staunton. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and one of the few places I can buy goold old fashioned ginger beer.

DonRocks   

Just had a Bratwurst Sandwich ($5.95) at the original German Gourmet. It's just the right size for lunch, and only takes about five minutes to make. Yes, it's purchased bratwurst and this is certainly not Peter Smith, but it's a decent sandwich, especially with sauerkraut and mustard.

More importantly, German Gourmet is one of the few places I've found that carries my beloved Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest ($12 a six-pack).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Biotech   
Just had a Bratwurst Sandwich ($5.95) at the original German Gourmet. It's just the right size for lunch, and only takes about five minutes to make. Yes, it's purchased bratwurst and this is certainly not Peter Smith, but it's a decent sandwich, especially with sauerkraut and mustard.

More importantly, German Gourmet is one of the few places I've found that carries my beloved Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest ($12 a six-pack).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Rocks - I've found Hacker=Pschorr O'fest at Whole Foods and Norms Beer and Wine in Vienna. Both sell for under $12. IIRC, Norms is around $9 per six. They also have Hoff-Brau which is pretty good this year, too.