Happy Hour / Post-work Bar Gathering

DanCole42

I'm looking to start doing a regular office happy hour / post-work drink-related get together. Here's what I'm after:

-Ideally, the location wouldn't be more than a few blocks from our office (at the corner of N, 18th, and Connecticut NW - just south of Dupont Circle).

-Someplace quiet and not too crowded - we're a more laid back office (i.e. no sardine cans full of 20-somethings and loud music; god I'm boring)

-The cheapest drink can't be $15 and full of diamonds

-Probably no more than 3-6 of us going out

Thanks!

Does Sam still work at the Mayflower?
As of last night, yep. He’d never heard of a Brown Derby until I ordered one a few weeks back and he has been noodling with it and it’s spelling. The complimentary nuts and sesame sticks (east meets west) are worth the price of admission, though the variety has been more austere lately, and a triptych of manhattans will get you properly tuned up. It’s like a Cougar Convention there too so wear snug trousers.

When I worked in that area, we always ended up at the Big Hunt (where there is a surprisingly strong beer list, good prices, and friendly service) or the Lucky Bar (where the beer lines are skanky and there is very little going for it except the soccer and pool tables).

How's the Sign of the Whale these days? Before I left that neighborhood around 10 years ago now, it used to be a pretty decent place for happy hour-ing. It wouldn't get amped up until later in the evening.

I'm pretty sure it closed...over a year ago, I think. Now I could just be making that up and it was another spot on that block that closed.

How about the Chinatown/PQ area? Any HH specials? The office is right across from Metro Center. Thanks!!

Ceiba has great happy hour deals. It is on their website under events at the bottom normally. Poste also does a good happy hour. Zengo has happy hour deals (food and drink), I think Zola has happy hour but I don't know the specifics. PS7 has $7 bar food and $4 glasses of wine and other specials. Oya has happy hour with drink specials and I think half price small plates and it runs later than some of the others until 8 I think. Matchbox probably has beer specials. McCormick and Schmicks has a like $1.75 menu at happy hour with small plates and drink specials as I recall pretty good. And Clydes has "Afternoon Delight" food and drink specials (a couple also have the raw bar special like Old Ebbitts but not all). Old Ebbitt has the raw bar half price at certain times which is a great deal.

I think Ceiba and PS7 probably the best in terms of what you get- the cuban sandwiches at Ceiba are great and the flatbreads and primanti brothers sandwich at PS7 excellent and both have stellar cocktails and specials on wine/beer normally.

When I worked in that area, we always ended up at the Big Hunt (where there is a surprisingly strong beer list, good prices, and friendly service) or the Lucky Bar (where the beer lines are skanky and there is very little going for it except the soccer and pool tables).

you had me until "friendly service" - maybe I'm not showing enough leg :D

Despite the general staff churlishness its my go to place because of the great beer and gentle prices. Probably a little loud and crowded for Dan though....

More than 2 1/2 years later, with the same request.

I'm looking to start doing a regular office happy hour / post-work drink-related get together. Here's what I'm after:

-Ideally, the location wouldn't be more than a few blocks from our office (at the corner of N, 18th, and Connecticut NW - just south of Dupont Circle).

-Someplace quiet and not too crowded - we're a more laid back office (i.e. no sardine cans full of 20-somethings and loud music; god I'm boring)

-The cheapest drink can't be $15 and full of diamonds

-Probably no more than 3-6 of us going out

Thanks!

Penang would have been my first choice; was surprised to learn it had closed. Any updates on previously mentioned locations? Any additions?

More than 2 1/2 years later, with the same request.

Penang would have been my first choice; was surprised to learn it had closed. Any updates on previously mentioned locations? Any additions?

St. Arnold's could fit the bill; Heritage India also has drnk specials and discounted Indian street food. Cafe Citron may have specials but their website is under construction. It looks like Firefly has finally extended their happy hour times from 4 to 7, but the website doesn't say what the specials are. Ping Pong Dim Sum should be opening soon; if the specials there are the same as the Chinatown location, it'll be a great happy hour, provided it's not a mob scene (as is the case with Pizzeria Paradiso). Mezza Luna seems to have good offerings, too, but I know nothing about the place otherwise.