The Big Hunt, Connecticut Avenue in South Dupont Circle - Closed

I was at The Big Hunt last night (Rolling Rock Draft, $3.00), and they were carding everyone (*). I've seen this more-and-more in recent weeks - has there been a crackdown?

Cheers,

Rocks

(*) When I get carded, that pretty much means they're carding everyone.

I was at The Big Hunt last night (Rolling Rock Draft, $3.00), and they were carding everyone (*). I've seen this more-and-more in recent weeks - has there been a crackdown?

Cheers,

Rocks

This might need its own thread. I've seen a lot of places with "we card everyone" policies.

What really boggles my mind is that, at Wegman's, the cashier will often ask for my ID and my wife's ID! I just do not understand that. They can see from my ID that I'm almost 30. Do they really think I'm bringing that jailbait I'm nailing to the grocery store with me? Hells to the no.

And what happens when I turn 60, and it just so happens that I've aged really well, and I have my teenage daughter with me. They ask for both IDs. Am I not allowed to buy my futuristic nano-wine to enjoy with my geriatric classic rock cover band, the Hip Replacements?

(No joke, that actually IS the name of my parents' classic rock cover band)

Cheers,

Rocks

The Big Hunt has had a bouncer carding everyone for years. Cafe Citron next door does as well.

Well maybe this is a subtle form of marketing to an aging generation of boomers. Works for me -- whenever I get carded, I just wave my AARP membership card at the gatekeeper or cashier, pinch his/her cheek, and cackle, "thank yee laddie/lassie" and go on my way with a bounce in my step -- taking care not to topple the walker over.

Cheers,

Rocks

Same here, which shouldn't happen to a Richard Dreyfuss look-alike. I got carded at Halo the other night; the bouncer said it wasn't to check age but to sure everyone had a valid ID on them. Haven't heard that one before.

They card everyone. Come September, when college students come back into town, there will be a couple of busts in places in the south Dupont/M Street area, a couple of bars will have to forfeit several nights of business, and I assume the odd bartender or bouncer will be on the hook for a couple thousand dollars in fines. It happens every year, but not to the Hunt--they are scrupulous about not serving underage patrons.

They also have a nice beer selection, and I'd recommend the chicken wings.

They also have a nice beer selection, and I'd recommend the chicken wings.

Agree on the beer but disagree on the chicken wings... there was a point when the cost of a $.15 chicken wing (Tuesdays @ Big Hunt) was enough to sell me, but I just don't think those tiny mutant 70-count wings are worth the trouble. Their Frank's-based wing sauce, however, is legit.

Yes, the beer is great and the vibe is great, but I have trouble with pretty much all the food here... in that I think it pretty much sucks, particularly the cooked-through frozen puck burgers and the floppy, bland pizza. Am I missing something?

On the subject of horribly misshapen wings, the worst offender I've seen is McFadden's. Their $.10 wings (during football games, I think) are the most freakishly tiny I've ever seen. They shouldn't be served... well, maybe if the Palace of Wonders had chicken infanticide Tuesdays...

Alex

So I looked in the Everything Else Index and could not find a post on Nachos. I have a bad bad craving for nachos. I almost swear that I read a thread recently about good nachos, but it could be my mind creating that because I want them. So I want to know where your favorite nachos are, and why those are your favorite. Important factors to consider would be type of chip and how it holds up, toppings and type of meat and cheese. And I am not looking for chips with yellow goo.

The Big Hunt serves the Tomatillo Taqueria menu inside, and their barbacoa and carnitas nachos are seriously yummy. And the beer list is excellent.

ETA: Oh, and per your criteria: corn chips and shredded actual cheddar cheese (as well as beans, sour cream, pico de gallo, and quite possibly guac).

It appears the Big Hunt is closed/closing (although I don't think they have been open due to Covid).  The building is for sale/lease.  

Another sad loss.  I drank many beers at the Big Hunt. 

According to Barred in DC, the Hunt's lease expired on Oct. 31.  

19 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

It appears the Big Hunt is closed/closing (although I don't think they have been open due to Covid).  The building is for sale/lease.  

Another sad loss.  I drank many beers at the Big Hunt. 

According to Barred in DC, the Hunt's lease expired on Oct. 31.  

This is a screen grab from their website - nothing to indicate permanent closure, but if their lease is expired, and the building is for sale/rent, it seems bleak.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 17.53.42.png

Barred in DC is reporting: the Hunt's lease expired and hasn't at this time been renewed; the owner of the building died back in February; the heirs are trying to sell or lease the building.  The real estate agent has been posting listings for the buildings on the Barred in DC twitter thread. All yours for $7.5 million. 

• Thanks 1

This is so sad. I had some of the best times at Big Hunt and two of my favorite bar stories took place here. The first is when I got to talking to some friends of the owner and they covered my tab and then some. The second was when I finally got to use this line on some douche bro, "You know what they say about people who wear sunglasses inside? You're either blind or an asshole." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, eatruneat said:

The second was when I finally got to use this line on some douche bro, "You know what they say about people who wear sunglasses inside? You're either blind or an asshole." 

Sadly, they're never blind.

• Haha 3