Interesting Lobster Preparations

Ericandblueboy

Saw some massive lobster being cooked alived over the weekend. I honestly don't think I can stomach 4 lbs of steamed/boiled lobster dipped in drawn butter. So what are some other interesting yet tasty preparations? I'm familiar with Cantonese lobsters. What else is out there? I've had them grilled too (not too exciting).

Also, what's the best size for lobsters?

Saw some massive lobster being cooked alived over the weekend. I honestly don't think I can stomach 4 lbs of steamed/boiled lobster dipped in drawn butter. So what are some other interesting yet tasty preparations? I'm familiar with Cantonese lobsters. What else is out there? I've had them grilled too (not too exciting).

Also, what's the best size for lobsters?

New Englanders will say that, for steamed lobster, there's no better size than around 1 1/4 lbs. They're at their sweetest and most tender when they're small, though smaller than that and there's not much meat.

Salt River, which has the best lobsters I've ever eaten around here by far, concurs.

I really like the lobster pasta with chucks of lobster and lobster meatballs at Eventide. I thought it was the second best lobster dish I have ever had behind the French Laundry.

Not sure if you are looking for restaurants or for in home preparation, but after tasting it, if you got fresh pasta you could probably figure out how to do everything except perhaps the meatballs those looked tricky, but you might be able to figure that out.

I really liked the lobster at the French Laundry because it had a beet sauce which really equaled out the richness well with the earthy flavor of the beet. But I don't think you would want a lot of beet, just a little beat sauce perhaps.

I just came back from Newport RI yesterday. Cafe Zelda had chicken fried lobster as its signature dish. It was amazing. Not recommended for home cooking, this preparation was the best i have had.

Please describe this chicken fried lobster.

on the subject of size, conv. wisdom says 1.25lb but frankly not much meat on it. I like it closer to 2 lb. I cannot really tell the difference in sweetness or tenderness. Have had one as large as 3.5 lbs and it was great. Not issues with toughness at all.

As for prep. I like the chinese versions best (ginger/scallion or salt and pepper) but I also like the korean prep and italian. Korean as the main star (IMHO) in seafood jungol and italian fried and included in brodetto. But also include a freshly steamed lobster and a lobster roll on a nice soft/toasted/buttered new england hot dog roll. YUM.

BTW, salt river is great. Use to make it to NIH regular on fridays but no longer work up near bethesda. Very reasonable price and fresh product.

The butter poached lobster at Oval Room - not sure if it qualifies as "interesting" but it is oh so good.

One great thing about butter-poaching is that it's easy as pie (easier, actually) to do at home.

The wife's craving, which has inspired the same craving in my own heart and palate, is for a couple of Turtle Creek lobster tacos.

[Man, this Google books thing is sick. A hideous violation of intellectual property rights, but sick.]

Any local restaurant that does Korean lobster?

Almost every korean BBQ place will have seafood jungol on the menu. They always have it. The best version was at Jin Sung Garden but they closed there doors a while of go. Yechun has a very nice version that has lobster in it. They also do a seafood grill thing that has lobster and other seafood grill. It's pretty good.

As soon as it gets cooler (jungol is to hot to eat in the summer for me), should do a DR event over at a korean place for Jungol.

The butter poached lobster at Oval Room - not sure if it qualifies as "interesting" but it is oh so good.

I'm pretty sure we tried the butter poached lobster at Adour and it was good but since we're going to the Oval Room next month anyway with my MIL, we might try it there as well. Question regarding their preparation with young coconut, cassia, pearls of peach and wasabi - what is the dominant flavor? Is it sweet? fruity like coconut? fruity like peach?

I'm pretty sure we tried the butter poached lobster at Adour and it was good but since we're going to the Oval Room next month anyway with my MIL, we might try it there as well. Question regarding their preparation with young coconut, cassia, pearls of peach and wasabi - what is the dominant flavor? Is it sweet? fruity like coconut? fruity like peach?

To be honest, I don't think I've had it with the peach...maybe the fruit changes seasonally. (If I had to guess - it may have been prepared with grapefruit at the times I've had it...?)

Either way though, I don't remember it being sweet. I remember it having the richness of a butter poaching, but being refreshing at the same time because of the broth. (I'll have to go back to try this peach version and if I do, I'll report back.)