dr.com Happy Hour at Proof

xcanuck

Whatever happened to the dr.com Happy Hours and "whiming"? Could there be a better place for us to take over the bar than Proof? I've been 3-4 times since the beginning of the Caps season and I'm hard pressed to ever go anywhere else. What a gem!

(yes, I know Don. I could organize something myself....let's see if this generates any interest)

Whatever happened to the dr.com Happy Hours and "whiming"? Could there be a better place for us to take over the bar than Proof? I've been 3-4 times since the beginning of the Caps season and I'm hard pressed to ever go anywhere else. What a gem!

(yes, I know Don. I could organize something myself....let's see if this generates any interest)

I'd play, I'd play!

one potato, two potato, three potato...

That was back when things were fun! :( It would be great to start a regular HH again. We had a damn good run at Firefly with various folks showing consistently for weeks.

Just FYI - more info on date to come in the next day or so, but it will NOT be Nov 18th, as a Wizards/Cavs came will pack the bar that night.

To follow up, do interested parties have preferences between Tuesdays and Thursdays between now and mid-December (ignoring Thanksgiving week)?

To follow up, do interested parties have preferences between Tuesdays and Thursdays between now and mid-December (ignoring Thanksgiving week)?

I'd definitely prefer a Thursday, as work claims my Tuesday nights. Which Thursday it is isn't a major concern though. Maybe the 19th would be good?

Just FYI - more info on date to come in the next day or so, but it will NOT be Nov 18th, as a Wizards/Cavs came will pack the bar that night.

Wow, too much planning. What ever happened to just having a casual Friday HH whim-style? If we have them regularly enough then nobody has to worry about if they can or cannot make a specific one.

mdt - just a feeling, but I think a much smaller percentage of our core regulars are working downtown these days, myself included. It used to be a block away for me to wander to Corduroy or Beck's, or a few more blocks to Firefly. Grab a drink on the way out, and still make it home for a late dinner. Now I have to get into the city after work, which means advance planning. Which, honestly, makes Friday the worst possible day for me.

Now, if you want to do a HH at 5p in Herndon (office) or Rockville (home office), then I can whim. :(

For me, and for NQD, happy hour means arranging for someone to walk and feed the dog. We can do it on 48 hours notice, 3 days or more is better. But if you want to do a casual happy hour this Friday night, pick a place and time (5:30 or later) and we'll be there. I will be in very serious need of a drink by then.

As for the long-term planning thing, well, no date will work for everybody (says the guy who missed the last picnic).

Wow, too much planning. What ever happened to just having a casual Friday HH whim-style? If we have them regularly enough then nobody has to worry about if they can or cannot make a specific one.

mdt - just a feeling, but I think a much smaller percentage of our core regulars are working downtown these days, myself included. It used to be a block away for me to wander to Corduroy or Beck's, or a few more blocks to Firefly. Grab a drink on the way out, and still make it home for a late dinner. Now I have to get into the city after work, which means advance planning. Which, honestly, makes Friday the worst possible day for me.

I miss the whim-style HHs also (although the planned events are wonderful, thanks in no small part to DanielK).

Let me reintroduce everyone to On A Whim. If it's 10 AM and you're pining away for that first gin, just post something like, "Anyone up for getting trashed today? How about Bar Dumpster at 6-ish?" A couple people might chime in, Et Voila! You have a nice little impromptu party.

Dew wit!

Rocks.

If it's 10 AM and you're pining away for that first gin, just post something like, "Anyone up for getting trashed today? How about Bar Dumpster at 6-ish?" A couple people might chime in, Et Voila! You have a nice little impromptu party.

Damn, Rocks...that's pretty much me EVERY day.

So after conferring with both Adam and Mark, the date is set: Tues Dec 01 5:30pm. Details to follow. I don't think there's a need for any official RSVP or anything like that. I'll bump this as we get closer to the date. First charcuterie board is on me.

So after conferring with both Adam and Mark, the date is set: Tues Dec 01 5:30pm. Details to follow. I don't think there's a need for any official RSVP or anything like that. I'll bump this as we get closer to the date. First charcuterie board is on me.

Thanks for setting it up. Unfortunately, I have to take my aunt to the doctor in PA that day :(. Maybe I can still make it if I get back at a reasonable hour and have some energy left...

So after conferring with both Adam and Mark, the date is set: Tues Dec 01 5:30pm.

Hope I'll be able to make it, but it's doubtful. Barring a change in my shifts, five-thirty'll be right when I start working, and eleven-thirty'll be when I'm sorely in need of that drink.

As much as I want to say before because it's sooner and I love this place, I'm wondering if after might get better response. Except then it's holiday party season...Thoughts?

I am so in!! And if someone wants to do a HH before Thanksgiving, I am totally in for that too!

If you can't figure out which group of people obsessing over every bite and sip are the dr.com'ers, you can always do what one member did back in the glory days of Roberto Donna's BBQ lunches and walk around mumbling, "donrockwell, donrockwell, donrockwell" under your breath. Or you could ask the bartendar, they'll definitely know who/where we are.

If you can't figure out which group of people obsessing over every bite and sip are the dr.com'ers, you can always do what one member did back in the glory days of Roberto Donna's BBQ lunches and walk around mumbling, "donrockwell, donrockwell, donrockwell" under your breath. Or you could ask the bartendar, they'll definitely know who/where we are.

Or, better yet, a certain type of chaps will guarantee they will find you.

Had a great time with all of you, xcanuck, Barbara, Dame Edna, Kmango, Bill Russell, Heather, and ... drum roll ... Don Rockwell himself! The legend actually does exist! I'm in on these HHs....!

Yes, indeed, great to catch up, without ketchup.

I'm still in happy clove land from that punch.

Great way to kick off December, ya'll!

Thanks Amit, for organizing. It was fun to see old friends and meet some new folks too. Adam's special punch was great, as was the salt cod appetizer I ordered.

Sorry I had to leave early - I did my best to bust up the joint before splitting (Dan, I still owe you a drink).

Thanks to everyone that attended. Adam - the punch was fantastic!! I don't know if you can make that a regular part of the drink menu (isn't there some restriction about prepared alcoholic drinks? maybe just in MoCo....but I remember a discussion of why sangria couldn't be pre-prepared at Jaleo).

A few charcuterie boards were ordered and the offerings on there were splendid. The company was even better. It was good seeing so many friends and meeting some of the boards newer members.

I apologize for having to leave early (and missing Rocks!). Hope everyone else had fun.

Thanks to everyone that attended. Adam - the punch was fantastic!! I don't know if you can make that a regular part of the drink menu (isn't there some restriction about prepared alcoholic drinks? maybe just in MoCo....but I remember a discussion of why sangria couldn't be pre-prepared at Jaleo).

A few charcuterie boards were ordered and the offerings on there were splendid. The company was even better. It was good seeing so many friends and meeting some of the boards newer members.

I apologize for having to leave early (and missing Rocks!). Hope everyone else had fun.

Thanks for organizing.

It was so nice to meet everyone. Will look forward to seeing everyone around in the future.