What Are You Baking?

monavano

Boston Cream Pie - from Cook's Illustrated. It was a fair bit of work, but mostly in the planning. You have to let the pastry cream sit for 2-24 hours and the pie, once made, needs to be refrigerated for at least 3 hours before cutting. It was a definite success, though. Scrumptious. Interesting pastry cream...different than typical, but great for the pie.

You'll get hooked on the simplicity and accessibility of this method of bread baking. Which one did you use?

Just followed the recipe from Bittman's NY Times article. Super easy.

Although we found the crust too be a little too hard and crusty...any suggestions on how to make it a little more tender?

Just followed the recipe from Bittman's NY Times article. Super easy.

Although we found the crust too be a little too hard and crusty...any suggestions on how to make it a little more tender?

Spray just a little non-stick spray on the dough for its second rise.

Momofuku compost cookies. Well, the dough is chilling in the fridge and will be going into the oven soon. I'm working from three different versions of the recipe. I hope I pick the correct parts of each one :) .

Just finished cleaning up from my first attempt at hamantaschen. I started out pretty late. :) They're sorta ugly, but tasty. Baking has never been my strength but I've wanted to try my Grandmother's and Mom's recipe for years, and never got around to it. Then I had to figure out what to fill them with since I'm allergic to stone fruits!

I ended up doing some with purple sweet potato spread (too sweet) and most with Guava jam, which was just right. Now that I've made this recipe, I may attempt trying other recipes; this recipe had no salt or orange zest or juice, and a full cup of sugar. I think I'd prefer a recipe not quite as sweet next go 'round. (if there ever is another attempt!)

Catching up from last week a bit, but I made Irish muffin bread (like English muffins, except as bread and with Guinness) -- which is about the best thing ever toasted, since sliced bread. I also made a chocolate-Guinness cake with a completely over-the-top dark chocolate frosting and caramelized hazelnuts as little pots of gold around the base.

post-5608-0-12995000-1300676063_thumb.jp

post-5608-0-81387900-1300676091_thumb.jp

Just finished cleaning up from my first attempt at hamantaschen. I started out pretty late. :) They're sorta ugly, but tasty. Baking has never been my strength but I've wanted to try my Grandmother's and Mom's recipe for years, and never got around to it. Then I had to figure out what to fill them with since I'm allergic to stone fruits!

I ended up doing some with purple sweet potato spread (too sweet) and most with Guava jam, which was just right. Now that I've made this recipe, I may attempt trying other recipes; this recipe had no salt or orange zest or juice, and a full cup of sugar. I think I'd prefer a recipe not quite as sweet next go 'round. (if there ever is another attempt!)

Update--I tasted these pretty much right out of the oven. After they were completely cooled the next day, I have to say the purple sweet potato one was better than the guava, and quite good! No need to change a thing. :) (and confirmed when I brought a sample of each to my coworker. He thought the sweet potato was really good.)

^Cool! (Welcome, Jane!)

Not yet, but just about to assemble Dean Gold's torta verde [see top of page 11 in thread on Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market], using a huge over-wintered escarole (10 cups worth of leaves in a single head!) and leeks as antidote to the bitterness of outer leaves. Pinenuts & chives instead of slivered almonds. Muffin tins.

^Cool! (Welcome, Jane!)

Not yet, but just about to assemble Dean Gold's torta verde [see top of page 11 in thread on Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market], using a huge over-wintered escarole (10 cups worth of leaves in a single head!) and leeks as antidote to the bitterness of outer leaves. Pinenuts & chives instead of slivered almonds. Muffin tins.

Thanks, Anna, happy to be here! B)

Alice Medrich's chewy, gooey coconut macaroons using big-flake organic dried coconut. Easy peasy, pretty and quite good.

Since those required 4 egg whites, I used up the yolks in empanada dough and egg wash. Filling: beet greens and stems cooked yesterday, separately with various aliums, the latter flavored w saffron and a drop or two of Trader Joe's smokey chili sauce. Used up some mozzarella, sheep's milk feta and grated Stoneyman when filling. Good instructions on about.com, though I might try a different dough next time--avoided lard for vegetarians.

Do you have a link for the black raspberry custard pie Pool Boy? We're going raspberry picking tomorrow.

My wife uses the basic recipe out of the good old Betty Crocker cookbook actually, but any basic cookbook (Joy, etc) should have a decent recipe. Some tips -- Just add black raspberries to the bottom of the pie before pouring in the custard. And berries MUST be dry before adding to the pie. So once washed, give them ample opportunity to dry out before baking. Too much wet, and the custard won’t set up. It's a basic no-top 'pie'.

More like what I am cooling: churrant pie!

Trust that I did NOT stuff each and every hairpin-pitted cherry with a single currant each. Just that the costly organic sour cherries were purchased about a week too late in the season and I had to chuck almost half. Fortunately, there was a pint of pink currants in the fridge to stir into the saucepan before almond extract. RLB's method pretty interesting--I may have overdone it on the cornstarch, but the filling definitely is not too runny. Also chose leaves vs. lattice, but did not pre-bake them. Filling took about half an hour in oven vs. 15-20 mins.

Chocolate chip cookies with walnuts. Here's the thing... the recipe called for adding the baking soda as a warm slurry. Wow. My cookies puffed up big and made them just so lovely to look at. Never knew this.

Now, my favorites have tasted good, but were pretty much cookie pancakes, because they deflated right out of the oven.

Give it a try...

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Chocolate Spike" cake sans spikes because I'm too lazy to decorate. Chocolate fudge cake frosted with milk chocolate buttercream. I used Hershey's natural cocoa for the cake and Guittard milk chocolate chips plus Callebaut 97% unsweetened for the icing. It's *really* good icing.

roasted butternut spice bread with ginger and molasses

It's a pumpkin bread recipe which I doubled, and added some Canton ginger liqueur-soaked golden raisins to, but it is taking a lot more time to cook through than the recipe called for. Could I have screwed it up by cutting back on the flour by 1/4 cup and adding a splash of milk when the batter seemed too stiff? The roasting dehydrates the squash, which makes a much denser puree than canned pumpkin, so I thought it might need a little more liquid. I put foil over the pans, so that the tops wouldn't burn while the bottom cooked through.

I baked a little free-form pear tart earlier, and have just eaten half of it. The crust was an all-butter pastry dough I made a couple of weeks ago and froze: 00 flour, unsalted butter, salt, ice-water. The filling was peeled, sliced, very ripe Bartlett pears, lemon juice, sugar, potato starch. Put a piece of buttered aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, rolled out the pastry with a beautiful French pin, transferred to the foil, spooned the pear filling in the middle, folded the dough up around the fruit, brushed a little water on the dough and then sprinkled turbinado sugar over it. Baked at 425F for about 25 minutes. I astonish me when I approach this close to perfection, and I start thinking about how pride goeth before destruction. The pastry was tender and wonderfully flaky, the filling just right. The image I hope to insert here shows how flaky the pastry is. The fork is by Towle in the Lady Constance pattern. I try to make it sound more manly by calling it Lord Constance.

post-248-0-01077100-1319423406_thumb.jpg