Bethesda Chevy Chase Restaurant Week

im not sure which restaurants other than ours is participating....I do know alot more than its first one in July...

It would be helpful for potential diners (& supportive of participating restaurants) if the BCC Chamber updated their website -- even with just a "save the date" blurb.

http://www.bccchamber.org/restaurants/restaurantweek.shtml

As of right now the site still has July info...

....though im not sure which restaurants other than ours is participating....

Yeah, the last one was very poorly marketed. I work in Bethesda and keep up with all the local events, and didn't hear about it until it was over. Maybe they should try to get the Bethesda Urban Partnership involved as well.

BTW, I went to your restaurant for the first time last month with some clients, and had a very good lunch. Great place!

JA

Yeah, the last one was very poorly marketed.  I work in Bethesda and keep up with all the local events, and didn't hear about it until it was over.  Maybe they should try to get the Bethesda Urban Partnership involved as well.

BTW, I went to your restaurant for the first time last month with some clients, and had  a very good lunch.  Great place!

JA

Cheers!! glad you enjoyed it!!

I just signed up for the RW in Jan 23-29. Last time was a partial success- poor marketing inspite of BCC and Washington Post involvement but well received by the few patrons nevertheless.

Am told that this more places are joining so we might get better coverage. Though you are right BCC should mark their calendars for 'save the date'.

I just signed up for the RW in Jan 23-29. Last time was a partial success- poor marketing inspite of BCC and Washington Post involvement but well received by the few patrons nevertheless.

Am told that this more places are joining so we might get better coverage. Though you are right BCC should mark their calendars for 'save the date'.

And what would your place be?

I have a small Indian restaurant in Bethesda, PASSAGE TO INDIA at 4931 Cordell Ave. where we try to bring in the cuisines from different regions of India.

I have a question for you, foodjunkie (is this Chef Seth?) I have been to your restaurant several times, and enjoyed it greatly. But I doubt that my total for an appetizer, entree and dessert actually got to $30. If I remember correctly, your "special dinners" which were 3 courses were under $25. What kind of special menu are you going to do for RW?

Kind of a larger question for others to chime in on as well. I think 75% of the places on the BCC RW list I wouldn't normally have to spend $30 for a 3-course meal there.

I have a small Indian restaurant in Bethesda, PASSAGE TO INDIA at 4931 Cordell Ave. where we try to bring in the cuisines from different regions of India.

Ah yes. I remember the street food dinner that Monica organized at your place well. I don't think that I have ever eaten so much or so well. I had to loosen my belt when I got in the car to drive home. :)

I have a question for you, foodjunkie (is this Chef Seth?) I have been to your restaurant several times, and enjoyed it greatly. But I doubt that my total for an appetizer, entree and dessert actually got to $30. If I remember correctly, your "special dinners" which were 3 courses were under $25. What kind of special menu are you going to do for RW?

Kind of a larger question for others to chime in on as well. I think 75% of the places on the BCC RW list I wouldn't normally have to spend $30 for a 3-course meal there.

The RW menu at my place would work out to $26 working on average pricing for Appetizer, Entree and Dessert. In addition to the three courses we are serving freshly baked NAAN, our extremely popular MAH KI DAL(black lentils) and RAITA.

Of course, some guests who are vegetarians, might feel that they are being charged more since vegetarian entrees are less expensive. The restaurants have to strike a balance on a difficult high beam act - trying not to seemingly charge exorbitantly for expensive seafood and at the same time have some semblance of sanity on the pricing structure of the menu as a whole. Restaurant week is an opportunity for a restaurant to be able to offer more for less only if the response is good since there is an additional marketing cost involved.

Hope this answers your concerns.

I work in downtown Bethesda & didn't know about this until I visited this thread. Even called Tragara to confirm their participation [was on the BCC webpage] & they didn't know about it [the GM was off yesterday & hadn't told the other Mgrs. yet]. Still some room for marketing these.

Don't see Grapeseed or Persimmon on the list, sigh.

I work in downtown Bethesda & didn't know about this until I visited this thread. Even called Tragara to confirm their participation [was on the BCC webpage] & they didn't know about it [the GM was off yesterday & hadn't told the other Mgrs. yet]. Still some room for marketing these.

Don't see Grapeseed or Persimmon on the list, sigh.

Updated to note that Grapeseed IS on the list--it's just not a BCC Chamber of Commerce member.

The full list can be found at:

BCC Restaurant Week Ad

And you can also see a really cool geographic mapping tool showing the restaurants at:

DowntownBethesda.com

JA

I have reservations for Grapeseed on 1/23/06 and David Craig Bethesda on 1/26/06.  Has anyone heard anything about, or dined at, David Craig Bethesda?

Setup a reservation for 8 at Grapeseed yesterday afternoon for 1/26 [went to the place & had a real nice conversation w/ the GM Tom]. Tom used to work at Black's [when David was the head Chef there]. I asked Tom for his opinion of the place [since DC Bethesda is only 2 months old & David's reasonably still getting things situated "just right"]. He gave an excellent opinion of his very recent dining experience there [food & service].

With David's background [worked at Black's, Tabard Inn, & Pesce], I consider him a "heavyweight" in the region. I'm very looking forward to eating there that week, before he gets reviewed.

Also setup a reservation for La Miche on 1/24. Still coordinating a date for DC Bethesda. :)

I just booked Tuesday that week for Grapeseed, and Friday for Centro.

With my 3 trips to DC this week, that means February will be reserved for brown rice and daily trips to the gym...

Lol. I've just finished my 4th dinner for DC RW. Now 2-3 more for Bethesda RW & I'm committed to getting back to the gym regularly this week & eating well for the next few months. :)

Has there been a topic posted to discuss? if so, i couldn't find it and apologize, but if not, here we go!!!

I'd love some recommendations. being a DCer, I have to admit I am rarely in this area and am totally new to the dining experience. i was thinking Grapeseed but not sure if I should change to Rock Creek.

At the risk of raising the ire of David Hagedorn, what's the word on David Craig. I'll be there for Bethesda Restaurant Week. Is there a standout or "must have" dish? Any other restaurant suggestions?
I ate at David Craig about a month ago and enjoyed everything except the actual wine glasses. Jason on DC Foodies didn't have any specifics on their RW menu. There also isn't any info on their website. No doubt it'll be a good deal because three courses (we had half orders of pasta for mains) and a glass of wine each for two people ran us about $100 (pre tax/tip).

Please report back, I hope to go later this week.

Today's challenge -- figure out how many of those restaurants participating would normally cost more than their restaurant week deals.

There's some element of that, though the BCC restaurant week is not constrained by the $20 Lunch / $30 Dinner rule. There is no bottom end on the price they set, and they can go to $35. David Craig is doing a $35 dinner, but some of the places are doing a prix fixe as low as $10.

I think the tougher part is finding which restaurants are worth visiting at ANY price.

Centro and Cesco are worth a visit. Grapeseed is nice. I've had good meals at Jean-Michel, La Ferme, and La Miche. Passage to India and Rock Creek are also on the list, and I keep meaning to get to Tavira.

Today's challenge -- figure out how many of those restaurants participating would normally cost more than their restaurant week deals.

I would go for the following in no particular order-just depends on the weather and mood

Passage to India

Grapeseed

La Miche

David Craigs

As to whether the deal is good or not, I remember there was some discussion last RW Bethesda and a couple of restaurants had responded that it was the total package that was being offered which is not normally done when ordering from the A La Carte menu. I had more hits than misses which is at par with regular dining. Overall RW has not remained thatbig a deal as it was in DC couple of years ago.

and I keep meaning to get to Tavira.
I've tried Tavira several times because our daughter lives in Lisbon. We travel there several times a year and eat out a lot and love the food in Portugal. Tavira has always been a disappointment, but maybe it's just me. :lol:

I've tried Tavira several times because our daughter lives in Lisbon. We travel there several times a year and eat out a lot and love the food in Portugal. Tavira has always been a disappointment, but maybe it's just me. :lol:

It's a disappointment compared to Portugal, or compared to other local restaurants in general? I'm sure it's not as good as dining in Lisbon, but it's the only game in town - is it worth going to try Portuguese food, or do you still say avoid?

It's a disappointment compared to Portugal, or compared to other local restaurants in general? I'm sure it's not as good as dining in Lisbon, but it's the only game in town - is it worth going to try Portuguese food, or do you still say avoid?

Not only compared to Portugal. I'd avoid.

If so, it's an even better deal this time. I'd call and ask.

Had dinner there during the first winter spell in Oct'06 with SO and there was just another couple sitting besides us. Service was erratic from non-existent at times to cloyingly sweet. Took some time for the Maitre D/Manager to understand that we are there for a leisurely evening and thereafter things were smooth. The apps (remember one atleast - some kind of pan fried fish which was dry) were OK but they have a good Seafood dish in saffron broth which was good for a cold night. Would I go again Uhhhh maybe not.

I may be giving away my age here, but what the hell; La Miche was THE go-to place in Bethesda. Unlike many of the other French restaurants in DC, I was never disappointed. The food was always good and those souffles you had to order when you first ordered the rest of your meal. . . Haven't eaten there in years. Anybody?

I may be giving away my age here, but what the hell; La Miche was THE go-to place in Bethesda. Unlike many of the other French restaurants in DC, I was never disappointed. The food was always good and those souffles you had to order when you first ordered the rest of your meal. . . Haven't eaten there in years. Anybody?

They probably haven't changed the menu since you last went.

It's predictably good, not great, but we go occasionally. I think Jean-Michel in north Bethesda is better.

In another thread I characterized Tavira as "stuffy, bland, and weirdly generic", which I think sums it up. The food has no character to speak of, Portuguese or otherwise.

Bethesda's Winter Restaurant Week will be January 24th through 30th.

3 courses 30 bucks, you know the deal

Any news on restaurants that are extending the deal past the 30th? I know that Grapeseed will offer their BCC RW menu through Saturday the 5th.

JeffAlex