SUNdeVICH, 9th and N Streets in Shaw - World-Themed Sandwiches in an Alley Garage

I couldn't find a topic on SunDeVich. The sandwiches represent global cuisine with really fresh and imaginative ingredients. Healthy, too. Except for a caprese, the is no cheese and no mayo. We had the Athens, with medium rare grilled lamb, and the Istanbul, with ground beef and lamb. The two sandwiches had similar flavor profiles, so I can't comment on the depth of the menu, but these were killer. Fabulous baguette style bread with a good chew, high quality ingredients. The sandwiches are huge. Half would be plenty, except they were so yummy we both happily devoured the entire thing. Good soda selection. There are two smallish communal tables but takeout seems to be the choice for many. If you are in the area, you must try this cute and appealing place.

If you are in the area, you must try this cute and appealing place.

Agreed.

I went last week and I'm heading back today. The Kingston (jerked chicken, fruit salsa, vinegary slaw) was outstanding, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had from a DC sandwich shop. The Beirut was a bit less successful, because the chewiness of the steak (cubed and wonderfully pink) made the sandwich a little tough to get through.

Sundevitch serve $9 sandwiches that are big enough to split. The quality of the raw ingredients (great bread, great meat, great veggies) and the quality of the components (great slaw, great brined veggies, great jerked chicken) stand out. Give them a whirl.

Agreed.

I went last week and I'm heading back today. The Kingston (jerked chicken, fruit salsa, vinegary slaw) was outstanding, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had from a DC sandwich shop. The Beirut was a bit less successful, because the chewiness of the steak (cubed and wonderfully pink) made the sandwich a little tough to get through.

Sundevitch serve $9 sandwiches that are big enough to split. The quality of the raw ingredients (great bread, great meat, great veggies) and the quality of the components (great slaw, great brined veggies, great jerked chicken) stand out. Give them a whirl.

The tongue sandwich is very good; forgot the name.

We bought a Living Social deal a month or so ago for SUNdeVICH and had some free time for lunch today so popped over. It doesn't open until noon, and I think we were the first ones in there right at noon, so we didn't have a wait, but the people were coming in quite regularly after us.

We ordered the Eggplant Dip ($3.50 garlic, egg, tomato, spices) and Spicy Slaw ($3.50 cabbage, jalapeño, tarragon, habañero dressing - which we got for free from ScoutMob) as sides, which were given to us while we were waiting for our sandwiches. The eggplant dip was served with baguette slices for dipping (the tzatziki, hummus, and Russian salad also come with bread) and was a good little appetizer. It was a fairly large serving (we took over half home), and was nice and smoky. The couple next to us had the tzatziki, which also looked good. The spicy slaw was a little disappointing. The cabbage pieces were way too long to be well-managed with a fork (perhaps cut them in half?) and it was definitely not very spicy. I was glad we had gotten this for free, and we probably wouldn't order it next time. The Russian salad and curried potato salad in the glass case looked tempting for another trip.

For sandwiches we split a Beirut ($10 steak, hummus, tomato, brined vegetables, fresh herbs) and Kingston ($10 jerk chicken, pineapple salsa, greens, slaw, garlic mayo). It was a close call, but I think we gave the (very) slight edge to the Beirut. The meat looked to be about medium, and had a smoky, grill flavor. The hummus had a nice garlicky flavor and the herbs made it all very fresh tasting. The brined vegetables also offered a bit of crunch and some tang. The Kingston had a good kick from the blackening and the slaw, with the pineapple balancing it with some sweet. Both sandwiches were rather large and served on a hollowed out baguette (which we appreciated as it kept the sandwich from being too bready). Although the sandwiches aren't cheap, they are such a good size, we decided you could easily order a side/dip and one sandwich to split and have a good meal for two for around $13-15.

Since we don't live or work in Shaw, we likely won't end up there too often, but it's definitely worth a stop every now and then (especially if we're in the neighborhood headed to the dog park and want to pick up sandwiches). There are two communal tables in the place with maybe 6 chairs each, so it's definitely geared more towards takeout, but either way it seems worth checking out.

I've driven by 9th and N twice since this thread started and still haven't seen this place. Where is it exactly?

Despite having a 9th St address, the entrance it's technically in the alley on the west side of the street just past Seasonal Pantry and Mood if you're driving south on 9th between O and N.

There's something especially delightful about places like SunDeVich: small, quirky, communal tables, friendly, a little hidden, when you finally stumble into it nearly two years after someone told you to go, it seems a major discovery. I had the Havana (hold the dijonaisse). Two other people at my table did, too. "This sandwich does not suck," said one of them, to which the other replied something like "mmmph umm hmmm". Somehow that sums it up. A friendly enough place for strangers to converse, but you don't want to stop eating long enough to talk because it tastes so good.

DC needs more places like this.

I tried Sundevich's truck a couple months ago. Can't remember what I had, but I do remember that it was good enough for me to keep their menu in my office, which I rarely do.

Speaking of food trucks, the line of trucks at Franklin Sq apparently has driven the Cosi at 13th and K out of business. :)

Wish we had more neighborhood sandwich shops like this gem, with everything perky in its own right: crusty mini-baguette, fresh vegetables, meats grilled to order. I had the "Istanbul", a minced-meat kebab seasoned with sumac, topped with tomato, onion, a dill-y tzatziki, and...flat-leaf parsley? Either way, this is going on my short list of lunch spots the next time I have to spend all day at the DC Convention Center.

I had lunch at SundeVich on Wednesday, and the sandwiches were wonderful - off the top of my head, the only pure sandwich shop I can think of that I might prefer is the Ballston Earl's Sandwiches. Of course, Stachowski Market and Deli is right up there also.

My young dining companion and I split two sandwiches: the Beirut ($11) with grilled steak, hummus, tomato, brined vegetables (pickles), and fresh herbs (primarily cilantro); and the Seoul ($11) with bulgogi beef, kimchi, asian slaw, greens, and garlic mayo. We also split a wonderful Eggplant Dip ($4.50) with garlic, tomato, egg (which makes the dip), and spices - using thinly sliced baguette as dipping chips, and I washed mine down with a 16 ounce bottle of Diet Pepsi ($1.50).

I preferred the Beirut only because I'm a little bulgogi-and-kimchi'd out, and the flavors were both more neutral and novel (to me) in the Beirut. The dip is easily transportable if you don't finish it, so don't hesitate to try it, knowing in advance you'll take some home.

SundeVich is a treasure for Convention Center sandwich seekers, although I must say the order took a fairly long time so you may want to call it in. On the way home, we also noticed a SundeVich food truck driving up a northbound street - that said, I can't imagine that the food truck versions are assembled as expertly as the sandwiches we had in-store.

An interesting factoid about SundeVich: three sandwiches are named after Iranian cities; none after Iraqi cities - a little ethnic strife in action here?

An interesting factoid about SundeVich: three sandwiches are named after Iranian cities; none after Iraqi cities - a little ethnic strife in action here?

What's more interesting is that the "Tehran" has mortadella on it. Though, I suppose in that neighborhood one could invoke the law of necessity.

Love SunDeVich. The Buenos Aires and Kingston are two of my favorites. Sadly, I must lament the loss of my favorite sandwich, the Saigon. Really delicious "pseudo" Banh Mi with chicken liver mousse (made at Seasonal Pantry) and pork terrine. I'm going to petition them to bring it back...

• Like 1

Just had Sundevich for the first time for lunch today. I agree with the comments above with one quibble. Loved the place. Sandwiches were very large (if I wasn't such a chazer, I would have saved the second half for tomorrow), baguette bread was great and fresh well made ingredients. The quibble is the Kingston I ate didn't have a good proportion to the ingredients. While it was generous to overstuff the sandwich with the jerk chicken, I would have enjoyed a bit more garlic mayo, more than a few shreds of slaw and there were only 6 or 7 cube of pineapple salsa. I found the pineapple to be the best combo and a good way to cut the spice, so I actually asked for more and added it to the sandwich (staff was happy to oblige without extra charge). That being said, the pineapple "salsa" was basically plain pineapple - maybe a few bit if cilantro or onion - but it couldn't have been a bit better too. So I'll definitely trek back again, but probably to try something else.

Good to see this place getting some (much deserved) love. Don't sleep on the eggplant dip - Don is dead on and it's the sleeper on the menu. That and the Istanbul (a lamb/beef blend cooked on giant metal skewers) are my go to's here, but I don't think I've had any total misses here. Only quibble is to echo the comments on the Kingston - the ingredients are out of proportion on this sandwich.

I have gone in and just got tzatziki, eggplant dip, and not felt like I made a mistake by being the fat kid eating all the dips for a meal.

Pretty sure there are so many Iranian cities on the menu because that's where Ali is from.

We hosted a party for about 35 people last Friday and had it catered by SUNdeVICH. I emailed back and forth with Ali, who I think is the owner, and we ironed out the sandwiches and salads we wanted, and agreed that I would pick up the order between 5 and 5:30pm. We walked in at 5:10pm, and none of the food was prepared at all. The woman who was running the register was mortified and I showed her the series of emails I exchanged with Ali. She printed out the email with our order and told us she would jump on the line and they could have everything ready in 15-20 minutes. I must commend her and the cooks because they did an awesome job getting everything together quickly. They made us four platters of sandwiches, a big salad and dressing, in just about 15 minutes. We made it to our party in time and with our food.

When we got to SUNdeVICH, I wrote a panicky email to Ali saying that we were there and nothing was prepared. Later that night, he replied, explaining that he had told the kitchen but not the cashier, that he had been called away from the shop mid-day and that he took "full responsibility if we threw off your timing. We did say 5 - 530 and I just assumed it was flexible.  Again, I apologize if we made things harder than they should have been."  

The sandwiches, by the way, were terrific. We ordered the Cairo, the Capri, the Havana, and the Paris (no egg). All of them were so good, the bread is high quality and the combination of ingredients in each sandwich were in the right proportions - everyone enjoyed them. I want to thank the cooks and the woman running the front of the house because all of them pitched in to get our order ready as fast as they could. They did a terrific job pulling it together for us.

We finally made it here on Saturday for lunch, and I'm rather upset with myself for not eating here earlier. It is definitely out of the way for me both during the week and on the weekend, but I'm going to go the extra mile to work my way through this menu.  We had the Shiraz and the Havana, and both were fantastic. A great sandwich spot.

We finally made it here on Saturday for lunch, and I'm rather upset with myself for not eating here earlier. It is definitely out of the way for me both during the week and on the weekend, but I'm going to go the extra mile to work my way through this menu.  We had the Shiraz and the Havana, and both were fantastic. A great sandwich spot.

I was kicking around the idea of driving here today from Arlington, if that's any indication of what I think.

• Like 1

I've been about five times over the last six months.  Each time (except the first) I convinced myself that the not-so-fond memories of the mediocre and overpriced sandwiches I had tried previously were made up.  Each time, I left kicking myself for being suckered in again.  The sandwiches usually amount to not much more than grilled meat, some interesting (but not necessarily good) sauces, and a baguette, which may or may not be fresh depending on when you go.  There is little complexity to be found.  And they're closed Sundays (aka you can't eat them while watching the NFL).  Really tried to like this place, but I really don't. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, funkyfood said:

I've been about five times over the last six months.  Each time (except the first) I convinced myself that the not-so-fond memories of the mediocre and overpriced sandwiches I had tried previously were made up.  Each time, I left kicking myself for being suckered in again.  The sandwiches usually amount to not much more than grilled meat, some interesting (but not necessarily good) sauces, and a baguette, which may or may not be fresh depending on when you go.  There is little complexity to be found.  And they're closed Sundays (aka you can't eat them while watching the NFL).  Really tried to like this place, but I really don't. 

Your post makes me wonder if SundeVich has changed ownership, or changed something else important - it used to be really good (of that I'm certain), but I now haven't been in over two years. Hell, Taylor Gourmet used to be really good - then, one day they announced they were no longer going to be bringing down their rolls from Sarcone's in Philadelphia - it turns out that this barely noticed, innocuous little article was the bell somberly tolling, announcing the arrival of Charon.

Jan 14, 2011 - "D.C. Restaurants' Moveable Yeast" by Scott Reitz on washingtoncitypaper.com

Sometimes, important things aren't recognized as important until many suns have set, but this was an *extremely* important article that Scott Reitz penned, and it seems everyone has forgotten about it but me.

It's a sound strategy, pulling the wool over 95% of people's eyes, and hoping that the 5% like me who notice and care will be stifled and ignored in the media frenzy - I can rattle off about fifty people for whom it has worked, and for whom it has paid off quite handsomely (about forty in the restaurant industry; about ten in the media, although only a couple people in the media can be said to have "profited handsomely" from it). I can also rattle off tens-of-thousands of people for whom the strategy has backfired, and they don't even know it yet, and probably never will.

The above paragraph most certainly does *not* apply to SundeVich, as I have absolutely no knowledge of anything having changed there, but your post worries me a bit, especially because I haven't been there in awhile. Still, SundeVich doesn't appear to have any aspirations of national-level fame and fortune - gosh they were good though.

Sundevich dropped off my radar for a year or so, but I've eaten there twice in the last couple months and noticed no drop in quality. Still some of my favorite sandwiches in the city. 

• Like 1