Valentine's Day 2006

crackers

Has anyone had any Valentine's Day restaurant experiences in the recent past, good, bad or indifferent?

[And no, I'm not asking for myself. :) ]

Last year I ate Thai at Basil Thai with my Dad. No one was in there, and there were helium balloons tied to the backs of every chair. It was priceless (and the food was yummy enough). I highly recommend it for couples or singles, bithday parties, carry out.

A few days before Valentine's Day last year, a close friend living abroad called to say he'd be in town for one night and asked if I wanted to have dinner. Of course he was going to be in town the night of Feb 14th. He wanted to have a fancy dinner and it was tough finding a reservation.

I got a table at Charlie Palmer Steakhouse and it worked out great. They had the full menu available and also had a special tasting menu (was five courses, I think). It either included sparkling wine pairings or maybe there was a supplement added. There was a good mix of couples and Hill-type business people. They had a sparkling wine table set up in the main dining room. It was festive, but not overly so. Not particularly romantic, but fun. A good option.

We did the special menu and the sparkling wine pairings. It was tough finishing the champagne as course after course appeared - but we managed. There were four or five glasses of champagne offered and with the two predinner cocktails at the bar, I don't remember much of the food, frankly :)

The last time I went out on Valentines Day we were in Baltimore at the restaurant at the Harbour Court hotel. No recollection of the food (other than that it was good) but I got diamond earrings and a marriage proposal.

Edited by Heather

The last time I went out on Valentines Day we were in Baltimore at the restaurant at the Harbour Court hotel.  No recollection of the food (other than that it was good) but I got diamond earrings and a marriage proposal.

Were these from the same gentleman :)

F*ck dining out on V-day. I'm glad I got married-- don't have to put up with that nightmare anymore. :o

Don't be so sure, buddy.

Yeah, right. :)   So how long ago did you make the reservations? Most of the good ones are gone already.

Mainly by jerks who make multiple ressies and don't show.

A few days before Valentine's Day last year,  a close friend living abroad called to say he'd be in town for one night and asked if I wanted to have dinner. Of course he was going to be in town the night of Feb 14th. He wanted to have a fancy dinner and it was tough finding a reservation.

I got a table at Charlie Palmer Steakhouse and it worked out great. They had the full menu available and also had a special tasting menu (was five courses, I think). It either included sparkling wine pairings or maybe there was a supplement added. There was a good mix of couples and Hill-type business people. They had a sparkling wine table set up in the main dining room. It was festive, but not overly so. Not particularly romantic, but fun. A good option.

We did the special menu and the sparkling wine pairings. It was tough finishing the champagne as course after course appeared - but we managed. There were four or five glasses of champagne offered and with the two predinner cocktails at the bar, I don't remember much of the food, frankly  :)

Roger Troutman and I are spending our Valentine's Day there. So glad to hear that the place was a hit. I am dieting like a mad woman right now as we are getting married in October, so this will be a night where I get to have whatever I want.

We had to do a $25.00 charge to reserve a table on that day that they will charge if we don't show.

Roger Troutman and I are spending our Valentine's Day there.  So glad to hear that the place was a hit.  I am dieting like a mad woman right now as we are getting married in October, so this will be a night where I get to have whatever I want.

We had to do a $25.00 charge to reserve a table on that day that they will charge if we don't show.

Mrs. Pete and I will be dining at Charlie Palmer's on Valentine's Day as well. I love the fact that their entire menu will be available.