Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

^Time to change your signature line?  :)

tuna salad sandwiches (Ortiz tuna, homemade mayo, celery, and pine nuts, with slices of garden tomato on toasted sourdough bread)

cucumbers in vinegar

marinated olives

cupcakes after a vigorous 4-mile walk

Those were some pretty fancy tunafish sandwiches. Sounds great. I might go there for lunch or dinner tomorrow. I think I'd probably have the tomato on the side, though, with some lettuce in the sandwich (except that I haven't got any lettuce).

Mixed Dal (moong dal, masoor dal, toovar dal, urad dal, channa dal, shallots, garlic, ginger, salt, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cumin seeds, turmeric, asafetida, tomatoes, ghee, green chillies, cilantro)

Okra with tomatoes (and onions, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, hot pepper, black pepper, lime juice, salt)

Cucumber with shallots, tomato, lime juice, green chillies and salt.

Brown jasmine rice.

Dining solo.  A veggie burger I found while cleaning out the freezer (food martyr), topped with homemade tomato jam from my recipe (food creative), and a side of romano beans from the garden (food producer).  Rosé from Bordeaux (mmmmmm. wine). 

Multigrain bread and soy spread

Watermelon salad with feta, arugula, and fennel

Broiled wild Coho salmon topped with basil-spinach pesto

Wheatberries with button mushrooms, shallots, and roasted garlic

The watermelon salad is a Komi recipe that ran in the Post in 2006.  I topped it with the optional toasted crushed hazelnuts and also, just because I felt like it, added some minced hot pepper to the arugula mixture.  

last night:

Asian noodle soup with fresh Japanese wheat noodles. fish and shrimp broth with miso, fluke filet, seaweed salad, grilled head-on prawns that had been marinated in go ju jang, and grilled Chinese broccoli, garnished with chopped scallion and roasted sesame seeds

fat tire

tonight:

leftover short ribs

fried polenta cakes

tomato and cucumber salad

Last night:

Leftover watermelon, feta, etc., salad

Tarragon potato salad

Grilled portobello mushrooms spread with pesto and stuffed/topped with leftover wheatberries and salmon

Grilled chicken breasts (mostly made ahead for dinners during the week)

Grilled boneless sirloin steak

Had a Thai friend over last night so I made some favorites. Sticky rice (ข้าวเหนียว) Green Papaya Salad (ส้มตำ) mixed vegetable curry/soup with lemon basil (à¹à¸à¸‡à¹€à¸¥à¸µà¸¢à¸‡) Grilled beef "waterfall" salad (ยำเนื้อน้ำตà¸) Beef stir fried with holy basil (เนื้อผัดใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸²) Grilled Chicken (ไà¸à¹ˆà¸¢à¹ˆà¸²à¸‡) Omelet with shark siracha (ไข่เจียว) vegetables and jasmine rice.

9639375747_c8c98148c2.jpg

Desert was Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Custard from the Dairy Godmother.

• Like 3

Had a Thai friend over last night so I made some favorites. Sticky rice (ข้าวเหนียว) Green Papaya Salad (ส้มตำ) mixed vegetable curry/soup with lemon basil (à¹à¸à¸‡à¹€à¸¥à¸µà¸¢à¸‡) Grilled beef "waterfall" salad (ยำเนื้อน้ำตà¸) Beef stir fried with holy basil (เนื้อผัดใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸²) Grilled Chicken (ไà¸à¹ˆà¸¢à¹ˆà¸²à¸‡) Omelet with shark siracha (ไข่เจียว) vegetables and jasmine rice.

Desert was Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Custard from the Dairy Godmother.

May I ask how many people this meal fed? You refer to "a" friend; your description and the lovely picture would indicate six to eight people sat down to dinner.

May I ask how many people this meal fed? You refer to "a" friend; your description and the lovely picture would indicate six to eight people sat down to dinner.

There were four of us, my wife and I and our friend and her boyfriend. But yes, I made enough for 6-8 people. We have leftovers for at least two more meals :) .

I saw this sausage grilled in peppers on 'Luke Nguyen's Greater Mekong' the other day, & wanted to do that for dinner tonight, but despite going to 2 stores (commissary & Costco), didn't see ground pork, Ithought about subbing ground turkey, but since I'm cooking for a limited audience, wussed out, & used leftover frozen pulled pork BBQ in grilled poblano peppers, some of those peppers were quite spicy-pickled cukes on the side, not really a composed meal, but I also made sort of a quiche earlier w/ eggs, collards, cheese-cottage & Swiss, sour cream (trying to use up the Costco sized sour cream), paprika, s&p-it turned out pretty good, especially topped w/ some salsa. I'm taking inspiration from 'Chopped' & cooking from the fridge & pantry.

Saturday night:

red beans and rice: dried kidney beans cooked with onions and roasted anaheim peppers sauteed in bacon fat, aromatics, smoked eggplant, Red Apron andouille, and tomato served over Carolina Gold rice

corn macque choux

sliced peaches

last night:

farmers market tomato and mozzarella di bufala

linguini al pesto

Salad sampler.

Platter 1: Steak salad (beef sirloin, red leaf lettuce, radishes, yellow tomato and red tomato, avocado; champagne-caper vinaigrette)_

Platter 2: Pesto chicken salad topped with pine nuts; tabbouleh topped with pine nuts; tarragon potato salad; wheatberries and salmon with lime; red leaf lettuce

Multigrain toast and butter

We've been making stir-fried rice cakes/ovalettes quite a lot, with shitakes, pea pods (or other greens), and meat in a basic brown sauce, and had it again last night.  Probably our new favorite meal.  It pays to track down favorite childhood recipes!  It's a great rice noodle product to use when you can't get fresh rice noodles.

Tonight:

Kalua pork, my new obsession, made in crock pot

grilled corn and asian eggplants

chocolate chip cookies

cantaloupe and watermelon

Inspired by Thistle's quiche description, we made a sort of tortilla espanola, more of a tortilla portuguesa...potatoes, shredded kale and onions cooked in an egg, milk and cottage cheese custard with smoked paprika stirred in. Quite tasty.

Roasted cauliflower.

Peach daiquiris made with super-ripe local peaches (Don, from Utica, ohio!).

9679094187_0fbb6064b5_z.jpg

Caramelized cherry tomatoes and shallots (Mt. Vernon market) were an homage to summer

Yam steak fries (also Mt. Vernon)

Costco's prime sirloin, marinated in finely chopped fresh rosemary, garlic, s+p and evoo. I'm telling you, this prime sirloin could be the one reason you enjoy a Costco membership. Mr. MV grilled it to a perfect med. rare.
  • Like 2

Dinner for one. สปาเà¸à¹‡à¸•à¸•à¸µà¹‰à¸‚ี้เมาหมู kee mao! spaghetti for drunks (paste of white pepper, garlic, cilantro roots, salt and Thai bird chillies fried in rendered pork fat made with with Szechuan peppercorns and star anise, stir fried with chopped pork, oyster sauce, sugar, golden mountain sauce. light soy, dark soy, fish sauce, etc., cherry tomatoes, green onion, jalapeno, holy basil, pickled green peppercorns, and spaghetti. Drunk instagram:

9681487531_2373cd12d2.jpg

9694055731_3fd92797e5_z.jpg

Grilled peach and red onion with burrata salad topped (and marinated) with a  honey lemon vinaigrette.

Leftover prime sirloin steak was used up in quesadillas with rice and beans on the side.

Mirai corn.

Key lime cheesecake (well, Persian lime cheesecake fwiw)

• Like 2

9694055731_3fd92797e5_z.jpg

Grilled peach and red onion with burrata salad topped (and marinated) with a  honey lemon vinaigrette.
Leftover prime sirloin steak was used up in quesadillas with rice and beans on the side.
Mirai corn.
Key lime cheesecake (well, Persian lime cheesecake fwiw)

Whoa.  That's a gorgeous salad.

Tonight:

Grilled fennel-brined pork chops (Groff's Content Farm)

Grilled chicken hot Italian sausages (Canales inside Eastern Market)

Grilled zucchini (New Morning Farm)

Grilled striata baguette (Silver Spork/ex-MM)

Green beans (New Morning) with roasted hazelnuts and pinenuts, butter, s+p

Boiled corn on the cob (Farm outside at Eastern Market whose name I can't come up with but is there all the time on weekends)

Last night:

Watermelon salad with feta and mint

Spinach, mushroom, and cheese frittata
Zucchini Parmesan crisps

• Hatch chile-marinated duck breast, pan seared for medium rare, plus crispy skin
  • Coarse-mashed jewel yams and Japanese sweet potato, pressure-cooked with chicken broth, cloves of garlic and garam masala
  • Self-satisfaction for making the most of a corporate housing kitchen

(missing kitchenaid mixer)

(cuisinart food processor)

(technivorm coffee maker)

CI's Peruvian Chicken with green sauce. Delicious and moist. A must-try at home if you like the offerings we get around here.

I cheated with the sauce a bit by starting with Duke's mayo instead of using egg and oil. I think the pickled jalepenos and good old yellow mustard are brilliant.

The CI method uses the Norpro vertical roaster. Well worth the $25 or so. The chicken is baked at 350 for 50 min., then is taken out of the oven while it heats up to 500, when the chicken is returned to the oven for another 20 min. The top of the chicken tends to get burned by the heat, but tenting with foil mitigates this problem completely.

• Hatch chile-marinated duck breast, pan seared for medium rare, plus crispy skin
  • Coarse-mashed jewel yams and Japanese sweet potato, pressure-cooked with chicken broth, cloves of garlic and garam masala
  • Self-satisfaction for making the most of a corporate housing kitchen

(missing kitchenaid mixer)

(cuisinart food processor)

(technivorm coffee maker)

Are hatch chilies around now? Where did you get them, if fresh?

Tempeh Kabobs served over mushroom rice pilaf with heirloom tomatoes, avocado, tahini, pita.

Used Joe Yonan's recipe from last week's Wash Post.  I gave all the marinade ingredients a quick whirl in the miniprep, marinated the tempeh for 12 hours, used the grilled under the broiler method, about 5 minutes a side.  I skipped the minty cilantro lime sauce since I had some tahini dressing kick around in the fridge.  This is a really tasty way to cook up tempeh (which is something you don't hear often!)