Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Dinner for visiting cousins from Canada who are foodies and who fed us lobsters when we visited them in Montreal last summer:

Appetizers - Crostini with fresh fava mousse, chicken liver mousse or caponata; La Quercia prosciutto; Niman Ranch salame; kalamata olives; cucumber slices

2005 Gelsomina Lambrusco Montovano

First - Roasted tomato and poblano soup with creme fraiche, basil chiffonade and Meyer lemon zest

2003 Venica Tocai Friulano

Main - Charcoal roasted herb-brined chicken from Sunnyside Organics; oven roasted farmers' market root veg, cippolini onions and fingerling potatoes with lemon-garlic olive oil

2004 Hartford Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

Salad - Mesclun from Heinz's stand at Dupont Market with lemon vinaigrette

Cheese - Old Chatham Hudson Valley sheepmilk camembert; Firefly Farms aged goat blue; Roccolo aged Italian cows' milk; homemade membrillo, dried Mission figs and black grapes

Dessert - Honey-cornmeal cake with spiced, wine-poached Seckel pears, reduced wine jus, creme Chantilly (this was a recipe from Dorie Greenspan's new book she called "Fig Cake for Fall" with wine-poached figs pressed into the top of the cake batter before baking. I had made the seckel pears the day before and was looking for a cake or cookie to accompany them. I combined the two elements - pears and cake - and it turned out fantastically well. It managed to be simultaneously rustic and elegant.

Bttt NV Muscat de Beaumes de Venise

homemade garlic sausages, from a recipe in Ruhlman's Charcuterie

white beans with garlic, tomatoes and sage

sauteed baby chard

This week is insanely busy so I am trying something different - planning ahead instead of having to figure out dinner every day at 5pm. Maybe I'll be able to stick with a menu this time. :) On the menu this week:

Pork stew with tomatillos, green chiles, and hominy

Gruyere soufflee with tomato coulis

Beef and pork ragu lasagne (recipe in the new Fine Cooking)

Leftovers on the day the kids have a 4:30 PM doctor appointment, and pizza for the kids Friday night while Mommy and Daddy are at the oyster riot. :)

Steak au Poivre

Potatoes Lyonnaise

Zucchini persillade

And to complete the theme: Malbec.

ETA: The same combined forces of Puritanical laws and forgetfulness also meant that the role of Cognac in tonight's presentation of Steak au Poivre was ably played by bourbon. :)

Posole, with pork and mild green chiles. The kids hated it. :) I swear I should just feed them grilled chicken, rice and broccoli every night.

And to top it off, while serving them leftovers from last night's dinner because they wouldn't eat the posole, I dropped a meatball in tomato sauce on my olive green suede Mephistos. :)

Really? Please do tell!

I can't guarantee that this is how Komi does it, of course, but the result was good. Clean and dry fresh dates and pit them (I snip a small hole in one end and use a swizzle stick to push out the pit); pipe in some mascarpone (no fancy equipment, just a plastic bag with the tip cut off); drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil, and a tiny sprinkle of coarse sea salt, and pop into a warm oven for ten to fifteen minutes.

Pan seared pork loin chops with bourbon-sage pan sauce

Roasted red potatoes tossed with garlic, mustard, and crushed red pepper

Green peas

Tonight's lesson: When you store all your butter in one compartment, read the wrapper carefully before whisking the butter into your pan sauce, lest you end up with really salty sauce. :)

Would you be willing to post your recipe?
I didn't really use a recipe this time, but there are several good ones on the web that are probably more authentic. This is more like a pork stew with hominy:

1 1/2 lbs of trimmed pork butt, cut in largish stew pieces

about a quart of strong chicken stock, plus water as needed

large onion, diced

4 cloves of garlic, minced

2 cans of good quality canned tomatillos (use fresh if you're not in a hurry) drained and quartered

canned green chiles - to taste

8 oz. dried hominy

Soak the hominy overnight, then cook and drain according to the package.

In a dutch oven, brown pork in olive oil, then remove and pour out all but a tablespoon of fat. add onion and garlic, cook until fragrant. Add a small amount of the stock and scrape up the brown bits, then add the rest along with the tomatillos and chiles. Add water if the stock isn't enough. Bring to a simmer, then cook until the pork is tender. Add the hominy, and cook another 20-30 minutes to thicken the stew. As with most stews, this is better if it sits a day or so in the fridge.

Garnish with hot sauce, shredded lettuce, pickled jalapenos, sliced radishes, and chopped cilantro.

Last night:

Roasted kabocha squash risotto

Charcoal-grilled, lavender-brined pork tenderloin

(Veggie-teen had a roasted portobello stuffed with fresh fava mousse, mozzarella di bufala and spiced crumbs)

Haricots verts with Meyer lemon-garlic oil

2005 Pillar Box Red

Bosc pear crisp with vanilla ice cream

Tonight:

Gratin of mixed baby kale and four cheeses (comte, cheddar,bufala, and Reggiano)

Not sure what else...

I'm making a friend's recipe for Burgundy beef stew. It's been cooking for some time now and smells heavenly. We're still recovering from our gluttony last night at bebo, so I think it will just be this and a simple red leaf lettuce-cucumber salad with vinaigrette. (I have some white anchovies and olives that might find their way onto the salad as well :) ).

Beets and goat cheese with walnut coulis

(Stole this Viridian recipe from chef Burrell, who was kind enough to relay the ingredients to me one night-- toast some walnuts and whiz up in a blender with yogurt, orange juice, sherry vinegar. Really, really good with beets)

Tarte flambe (aka bacon and onion pizza)

Quote of the meal: "Mo-om! Did you put PARSLEY in this sauce? I HATE parsley!" :P

If the kid will eat a skate wing, I'd say that's not too bad :D

Thick boneless pork chop braised with red wine

Celery root salad with scallions

Quince and apple sauce (would be good with cranberries)

Buttermilk mashed potato

Braised collard greens

A bit overboard on the American (South)/Italian combination, but after a full week of making stock, peeling chestnuts and just picking or scrambling eggs, this was the first concerted effort to eat a real meal for quite some time.

Pan-roasted melange of "wild" 'shrooms (chanterelles, oysters and shiitakes)
This gave me pause. While oyster and shiitake mushrooms are widely cultivated, it was my belief that the chanterelle (along with the cepe and the morel) had defied cultivation. A little Googling turned up a lot of stuff about chanterelle cultivation, but it seems to be mostly in the context of scientific literature, and as a work in progress. Does anyone know if chanterelles are being commercially cultivated?

I'm working on oyster stew with roasted root vegetables. It will be served with a salad of romaine, tomato, cucumber, feta, and olives, plus cheeseburgers on whole wheat buns, topped with some reserved tomato slices and lettuce. I'm thinking the burgers might be overkill, but leftover stew and salad will be good since I won't be here to cook dinner tomorrow night.

Three Thanksgivings with no turkey. So I'm roasting one tonight. So sue me. I like turkey. At least I like my turkey.

Same here. I was feeling bereft of turkey leftovers and a carcass to make soup out of, since we ate someone else's turkey this year. And then I was at Whole Foods on Saturday, and they had a cute little 8-pounder, free range. Not too expensive. I herb-brined it for two days, and today I smoked it with applewood chips in my Weber kettle. Unstuffed, it took less than 1 1/2 hours to get to the right temperature. And it was delicious, lightly smoky and very juicy, much more so than the one we ate on Thursday. No stuffing. I served it with gravy and:

Roasted, then mashed buttercup squash with maple syrup, fresh ginger, nutmeg and lemon zest

Braised kale and turnip greens

Basmati rice

Lotsa leftovers. Oh yeah! :P

This gave me pause. While oyster and shiitake mushrooms are widely cultivated, it was my belief that the chanterelle (along with the cepe and the morel) had defied cultivation. A little Googling turned up a lot of stuff about chanterelle cultivation, but it seems to be mostly in the context of scientific literature, and as a work in progress. Does anyone know if chanterelles are being commercially cultivated?

I think these were probably wild-- they were quite clean, but I did wipe out a few pine needles from some. The oysters and shiitakes were cultivated, for sure.

Same here. I was feeling bereft of turkey leftovers and a carcass to make soup out of, since we ate someone else's turkey this year.
Me three! And since I made the stuffing, I still have a pile leftover at home, as well as some gifted cranberries and and sweets. Being a white meat fan, I'm thinking of picking up a turkey breast tonight or tomorrow to roast. Anyone have any advice on how to keep that baby moist and tasty? Temps? Flavorings? I've never cooked one before.

Me three! And since I made the stuffing, I still have a pile leftover at home, as well as some gifted cranberries and and sweets. Being a white meat fan, I'm thinking of picking up a turkey breast tonight or tomorrow to roast. Anyone have any advice on how to keep that baby moist and tasty? Temps? Flavorings? I've never cooked one before.

Brine or salt it for 24 hours. Rinse, dry with paper towels and let it dry in the fridge for at least 12 hours before cooking. Oil the skin with EVOO or softened butter. Use a meat thermometer and pull it out of the oven when it hits 160 degrees. I like to make a flavored brine with aromatic veg and fresh herbs. Instead, a lot of people like to work a flavored or herb butter under and on the skin prior to roasting. Start the oven high for a short time to brown the skin and turn it way down to roast until done. (Like 425 for 15 or 20 minutes and then down to 300 or 325 until done -- it's impossible to say how long it will take, since the size and weight of a turkey breast will vary considerably).

Brine or salt it for 24 hours. Rinse, dry with paper towels and let it dry in the fridge for at least 12 hours before cooking. Oil the skin with EVOO or softened butter. Use a meat thermometer and pull it out of the oven when it hits 160 degrees. I like to make a flavored brine with aromatic veg and fresh herbs. Instead, a lot of people like to work a flavored or herb butter under and on the skin prior to roasting. Start the oven high for a short time to brown the skin and turn it way down to roast until done. (Like 425 for 15 or 20 minutes and then down to 300 or 325 until done -- it's impossible to say how long it will take, since the size and weight of a turkey breast will vary considerably).
Thanks for the good tips! I think I'll give it a go this weekend.

Now. If you've just had a god-awful day and are dog-tired and certainly not going out once you get home... what do YOU do for dinner?

Thanks for the good tips! I think I'll give it a go this weekend.

Now. If you've just had a god-awful day and are dog-tired and certainly not going out once you get home... what do YOU do for dinner?

AND you don't have a well stocked fridge or pantry?

AND you don't have a well stocked fridge or pantry?
Fridge and pantry are semi-stocked. For a single person.

But in any case, what do you do when you've had one of those days? Order in? Suck it up and nosh cheese and crackers? Cook your tried and true comfort food? What?

Dinner a few wednesdays ago was potato and brie quesadillas. The sauce for the quesadillas was a combination of tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and honey. The recipe was in a recent issue of Bon Appetit (November?).

img4311xw4.jpg

Last night's dinner was manicotti from the December's Cook's Illustrated. It was delicious but did not photograph well.

So I decided to bite the bullet and stop at the deli quick on the way home, which allowed me to put together a plate of two kinds of olives, gherkins, pita chips, and semi-homemade (Sandra Lee, you've ruined that word for me) sun-dried tomato dip. Then a bowl of ice cream.

And I saw that it was good.

Fridge and pantry are semi-stocked. For a single person.

But in any case, what do you do when you've had one of those days? Order in? Suck it up and nosh cheese and crackers? Cook your tried and true comfort food? What?

Usually I reheat leftovers, or incorporate them into something else that requires minimal cooking, the more comfort food-y the better. If there are no decent leftovers, I generally go with pasta and cheese and some kind of sauce. I didn't have an especially bad day yesterday, but a long one, which involved driving about 4 hours in the rain. I was also inexplicably tired all day, like I was getting sick.

For dinner, I reheated some oyster stew with root vegetables that was in the refrigerator and made a fairly quick skillet dinner of egg noodles topped with sauteed shallots, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and cubes of leftover poached chicken, in a creamy cognac sauce. (The cognac was the dregs of a bottle in pantry, and I used it rather than try to figure out if I had a decent cooking wine somewhere to open. The result smelled and tasted heavenly.)

Tonight we had salad and pretty kickass meatball sandwiches, with ingredients that were mostly from Costco. I used this recipe from Bill Granger for the meatballs. I had bought veal stew meat at Costco and ground an equal amount of that to go with ground pork I had bought at Eastern Market. (My grinder is very old and seems to work best for grinding beef. Pork turns into a mess.) It was more than the 350 g each called for in the recipe by about 50 g for each type of meat.

Since they were baked, each had a nice flat side that worked well to go in a sandwich without pulling hunks of bread out. As they were about done, I heated up some Classico tomato-basil sauce (from Costco :P ). If I don't have fresh sauce on hand, that's my standby. I put the meatballs I was using into the sauce briefly, and then ladled meatballs and a little sauce into the rolls. The rolls were mini baguettes from Costco that I toasted in the oven briefly. I topped the meatballs and sauce with slices of buffalo mozzarella from Costco.

I guess it sounds goofy, but I mention the sourcing mostly because, for some reason, it amused me as I was eating to realize that most of the main ingredients for the sandwiches had come from Costco.

With the wife just starting to feel better after 3 days of fever and chills, it was time to put out old school comfort food: garlic studded roast bottom round beef with pan gravy, served with egg noodles and steamed green beans. Maybe you can go home again.

Last night: Blanquette de veal served over black bean and goat cheese ravioli (a surprisingly good combination; I've been doing refrig/freezer cleanout and found some packages of ravioli from Whole Foods)

Tonight: Apple gouda chicken sausages simmered with cranberries and toasted pine nuts, with blanched kale thrown in at the end. Very red/green and Christmas-y; rice pilaf; prune bread (left over from the spring picnic--just pulled from the freezer during yesterday's cleaning).

Saturday Birthday dinner for my mom:

sea scallops wrapped in prosciutto, arugula, tapenade vinaigrette

strip steaks with balsamic reduction

roasted potatoes

asparagus

chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting

This sounds like a fabulous birthday meal. Could you give any details on how you did the scallops?

Dinner for my brother and sister-in-law (picky eaters, especially the sister-in-law):

Caesar salad with frico

img4337yg5.jpg

Crab cakes with remoulade and asparagus (happened to be on sale at Safeway)

img4338ye3.jpg

Both with 2002 Albert Boxler Riesling (another outstanding Joe Riley pick)

Recycled Citronelle Kit-Kat bars (day 5 leftovers :P -- I thought the corn flakes in them were slightly stale at this point, but nobody seemed to notice)

img4340ez0.jpg