Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Really? I have heard that parking there is pretty awful. Perhaps Ian and I will give it a shot today.

And happy birthday Peanut! What is she having for her birthday dinner?

During the middle of the day their lot shouldn't be bad. Weekends it can really suck. The secret is to always park in the metered lot across the street.

Tonight is one of her favorites -- quesadillas.

A very belated edit to add -- The parking at the WF in SS on most days makes parking at Snider's look like a walk in the park.

Dinner tonight was courtesy of the new DC Trader Joe's: stuffed flounder (@$2.99 :) ), frozen carrots with ginger, almonds, soy, etc., tomato/basil focaccio, and tomato and basil salad with mozzarella from TJ's. Under 30 minutes from start to finish. Oh, and that Honey Moon Viognier ($5.99), which was quite nice will all of this.

Three-bean salad--the traditional version with wax beans, green beans and kidney beans, which my husband adores, a taste memory from his traditional upbringing, undoubtedly. Only I don't think his mother used Vidalia onion, roasted garlic, lemon zest and Riesling vinegar (okay, I added cider vinegar, too.)

Roasted beets with orange vinaigrette

Tomatoes and cucumbers with fresh basil

Cheese grits with fresh corn

Charcoal-grilled wild salmon

2005 Ch. Guiot Rose

Charcoal grill-roasted Eco-Friendly Italian sausages

(Veggie-teen had grilled, fresh-herb marinated tofu instead of sausage)

with grill-roasted red peppers, eggplant, onions, garlic, fresh basil

bufalo mozzarella, reggiano and pecorino

piled on grilled striata baguette from Marvelous Market

2003 Di Majo Norante Sangiovese

The last of the peach brioche bread pudding with raspberry-blackberry coulis

Damn, those sausage sandwiches ROCKED!

Sunday:

Garlic-rosemary pork loin

Herb roasted potatoes

Zoramargolis' roasted fennel slaw (from the Fennel thread, which went over very well. Thanks!)

Hey, you're welcome! Glad you liked it. I think it is delicious, but I can't make it very often-- my family doesn't like cooked fennel :) But I make it sometimes for guests and then my husband and daughter can't bitch about it. Like many of my culinary improvisations, it was inspired by something I ate somewhere and then did my own version of. Few of them get written down: in the event a dish receive unanimous kudos, it goes into the semi-regular repertoire. If the response is tepid, but I love it, I make it occasionally. Or it gets forgotten about. Thanks to DR, some of my culinary concepts have gotten appreciation beyond my family and dinner guests, and have even been written down for "posterity." :)

Savory fresh corn fritters

Tomatoes with basil

Bufalo mozzarella--the Garafalo brand sold at Costco. This is FABULOUS stuff: silky texture, fresh, sweet milky flavor. Four balls for $9.99. Sorry, Paul S.-- Blue Ridge Dairy's mozz. is totally outclassed by this product.

Broiled, spiced Italian plums with vanilla ice cream

Savory fresh corn fritters

Tomatoes with basil

Bufalo mozzarella--the Garafalo brand sold at Costco. This is FABULOUS stuff: silky texture, fresh, sweet milky flavor. Four balls for $9.99. Sorry, Paul S.-- Blue Ridge Dairy's mozz. is totally outclassed by this product.

Broiled, spiced Italian plums with vanilla ice cream

Isn't the Garofalo brand actual Mozzarella di bufala? The stuff that Blud Ridge sells is good, but nothing special. I do however enjoy their ricotta and yogurt.

Isn't the Garofalo brand actual Mozzarella di bufala? The stuff that Blud Ridge sells is good, but nothing special. I do however enjoy their ricotta and yogurt.

Yes, Mozzarella di bufala it is. Goodness knows how much longer Costco will be carrying it, but I say if you have a Costco card--go get some. I saw a single ball selling for $5.49 at Trader Joe's today, and that's got to be cheaper than anywhere else--except Costco. Granted the ball at TJ's looked a bit larger than the individual balls in the Garofalo tub, but still-- $9.99 gets you a lot more deliciousness for your money.

If I recall correctly, Paul Stephan started out with the goal of making mozzarella di bufalo--and imported a herd of Italian water buffalos to his farm in Loudon County. He found the animals too difficult to manage, and then tried a buffalo-cow hybrid animal. Finally, he gave up the cattle altogether, and now focuses just on cheesemaking, buying his milk from others.

-Blistered serranos & skirt steak in tequila lime sauce*

-Non-fat greek yogurt & lime in place of sour cream**

-Spicy zuccini & squash stir-fry

*This almost turned into disaster. I'd inherited a bottle of Montezuma from someone and, thinking it's just going into food, I might as well use it as a cheap alternative. Right before putting it into the ol' cast iron, I took a swig. It tasted so much worse than rubbing alcohol that I went and got some rubbing alcohol from the bathroom to wash the taste out of my mouth. I prompty switched to the more expensive stuff.

**Not sure this would work. It worked wonderfully - I think I actually liked it BETTER than the less healthy alternative.

Roast turkey (My first roast turkey! Next week: Take a stab at the Palena-style chicken :) )

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Asparagus with shallots, almonds, and dried cranberries

Show of hands: Who has noticed that everything I've made since being home, with the exception of the mashed potatoes, has been cooked in the oven? :) This is how much I don't like cooking on electrics. Still traumatized from Christmas dinner.

Did the Alton Brown turkey method, 30 minutes at 500 to brown the skin then lower to cook the meat, but it didn't brown that much. My guess is he's using a convenction oven, which would give better browning, but doesn't mention that...

Turkey meatloaf topped with oven-dried tomatoes in oil and herbs de provence

White potatoes with butter

Buttered green beans and fresh corn kernels

The tomatoes, potatoes, and beans were farm-dug and picked late last week (I've enjoyed this year's CSA/U-Pick experience, though it was horribly impractical).

Another one of those husband's-out-of-town-and-I'm-out of groceries-and-too-tired-to-shop-so-I'll-just-eat-whatever-I-find-in-the-fridge dinners:

One egg, scrambled

two slices of bacon, fried

two small golden beets, roasted

three small red beets, roasted

sour cream

The last of Saturday's Cotes du Rhone

If I was a better writer and could create a worthy tome to the salad I had tonight I would. A few months (or weeks from now ) I will dream of cherry tomatoes with mozerrella, lots of fresh basil, balsamic vinegar and fabulous olive oil, fresh cracked pepper and truffled salt. In fact, I will probably dream of it tonight. Combine a few, simple, basic ingredients and you have summer, or what's left of it, in a bowl. A girl couldn't ask for much more.

Except for, perhaps, a steak salad made of left overs from Ray's, goat cheese and the last blackberries of the summer.

-Crab-stuffed salmon roulade

-Cucumber & dill stir fry*

*This was supposed to be ZUCCINI and dill stir fry, but I was so pepped up on DayQuil at the grocery store I bought cucumbers by accident. I'm lucky they weren't selling miniature, elongated watermelons.

I like cooked cucumbers. I had a recipe I used to make at some point that featured cooked cukes, but I forget what it was.

A trip to Super H inspired me to make something Japanese...

Slow roasted black cod ($1.99 a pound for whole fish!) with white miso sauce

on Soba noodles

Sauteed shiitake and maitake mushrooms

Wakame seaweed

Lychee-infused sake (made a couple of months ago, and waiting for the right meal...)

By the way, if anyone is looking for sake, Super H is the place to go. They have a dozen or more different premium sakes, and plenty of everyday ones, too.

How did it turn out? I'm a sucker for lychee everything. Will you splain the process?

I peeled about a dozen fresh lychees, took the seeds out and cut them in half. I put them in a glass jar and poured a medium-sized bottle of sake over them, and let it sit in the fridge for about a month (probably didn't need that long, but it got shoved behind some other things and was forgotten about. I had saved the sake bottle, so I strained the sake back into the bottle and put the screwtop back on. Kept in the refrigerator.

I have had lychee-infused sake at Beacon in Los Angeles, which was quite sweet, so I imagine they made a sugar syrup and poached the lychees or used canned lychees. I liked this better. The lychee flavor was subtle, and it was still very dry, which went well with the food.

A trip to Super H inspired me to make something Japanese...

Slow roasted black cod ($1.99 a pound for whole fish!) with white miso sauce

Was it labeled black cod or did you know it by sight? I love black cod but have never seen in it the stores in the area.

I might just have to drive out for some, at those prices.

Was it labeled black cod or did you know it by sight? I love black cod but have never seen in it the stores in the area.

I might just have to drive out for some, at those prices.

It was labled and was, in fact, black cod--also called sable fish. It has a very distinctively patterned skin, which I recognized, since I used to be a fishmonger at BlackSalt. I had not planned to cook fish yesterday, but when I saw it, I was astonished at the price. The fish were on display, on ice, so it was possible to see the eyes and gills and see that they were in good condition. I asked for a smaller fish than they had on display, if possible, because they were HUGE. One of the guys behind the counter went into the walk-in, and brought out a smaller fish. I paid between $10 and $11 for it--enough for two meals for my family of three. Of course, they would not filet it, I had to do it myself (they scaled and gutted it), but I have saved the head and bones for stock.

It was very fresh and tasty. One of those fortuitous bargains you run across occasionally. If you like black cod, and can manage a whole, large fish, I would definitely head out there today to see if it is still on sale.

Crabcakes (Recipe on the back of the can from Trader Joe's. It's pretty basic, and it works. Maybe a little filler, but you can scale that back)

Roasted pepper aioli

Asian Slaw from Good Eats

Boston lettuce and 'spring mix' (it's not spring. That didn't occur to me at the time. Still, good peppery counterpoint) salad with a lemon/champagne vinegar dressing

not-quite-caramelized onions, garlic, apples, cinnamon, and chicken apple gouda sausage slices in a white wine-chicken broth reduction

swiss chard with balsamic

I topped my apple onion mixture with garlic gouda from Cheesetique :)

Now THAT'S good fall fare!
LOL. I actually said, whilst eating the meal, "This tastes like fall."

Tonight: cowboy ribeyes from Cheesetique with coarse kosher salt and mignonette pepper; baby cabbage cole slaw; potato salad with pickled onions and cukes; and Shoebox Oven/Cheesetique Pao de Queijos :) Myohmy...