Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Chicken tenders -- slices of breast meat dipped in a batter (mixed 1 c mayo, chicken makhani spice mix, and water until consistency of heavy cream), dredged in panko, baked at 350 on cookie sheet for 20 minutes.

A far cry from real fried chicken, but I was sick all weekend and needed something very quick and easy.

Last night: crab fest with the hillvalley family. They were tiny but delicious! We're purist; nothing but crabs, plain potato chips and cold beer.

Tonight: mozzerella(sp?) and proscuitto on an herb salad with lavendar vinegar dressing, strawberries drizzled with balsamic glaze. Late night snack will be a slice of blueberry tart from market on Sunday.

While deep in the heart of Texas, our kitchen turned out a couple of tasty dinners...

Sunday night:

Brisket

Smashed potatoes

Baked beans

Coleslaw

Charoset (don't ask why my friends wanted charoset... it not being Passover and all... good thing my cousins had some extra Manischewitz sitting around)

Berries and cream

Monday night:

Smoked turkey

Creamed corn

Green beans

Coleslaw

Cornbread

Sweet tea

Blueberry pie (made with berries we'd picked that morning)

post-925-1149390781_thumb.jpgpost-925-1149390822_thumb.jpgpost-925-1149390853_thumb.jpgpost-925-1149390890_thumb.jpg

Tonight more food from the Bouchon cookbook. We started with the Dungeness Crab Salad, with Citrus Vinaigrette. I used back-fin crabmeat from Whole Foods and arugla from the farmers market it was served with toasted brioche. Very good stuff here. The main course was Sole Meuniere, I could not find Sole today, so I uesed some very nice Fluke Flounder from Black Salt. At the moment this is my favorite cookbook

Last night:

batter-fried squash blossoms

Traugott's Sauteed Soft-Shelled Crabs

sauteed fava beans, baby carrots, and baby pattypan squash

squash blossom risotto

The crabs were from Wegmans: big, juicy, live when sold, $3.99 each. The recipe was from Whitey Schmidt's Crabbiest cookbook.

Ravioli di Carciofi al Profumo di Timo (Linguria)

Pollo con Finocchio, Olive e Vino Biano (Sardinia)

Patata Sfondato colla Forchetta

Rioja

Melone d'Atene

(Leeks were pureed with artichokes for the filling of the pasta that were, in turn, sauced with crushed pinenuts colored lightly in butter with fresh thyme.)

sauteed mushrooms, baby spinach and young sweet onion

toigo bourbon peaches, strawberries and blue ridge dairy honey yogurt

another recipe from deborah madison, her farmers market book, which calls for hedgehog mushrooms. i couldn't find those so i used an assortment from the mushroom stand at the dupont freshfarm market. i don't know what you call them, but half of them were mushrooms that look like pegs, or diminutive champagne corks, or something that might make you feel slightly queasy as you slice through them, a la that magical moment from "realm of the senses." i cut only the larger ones in half. anyway, they provide more than a hint of cherries. this meal is fast, a few minutes in olive oil for the onions, five or so for the mushrooms and a couple of flash batches of the spinach. considering their expense, you have to be in the mood to try exotic mushrooms. this recipe might just put you there.

(appetizer: walking home via tenleytown i came across some mulberry trees. until reading a couple of posts by zora margolis, whose knowledge of foraging from local parklands is formidable, i have all my life thought these were best left for the birds. the berries from a low-hanging limb were ripe and extremely sweet to the point of tasting flat, though some still retained their tartness. the seeds are quite tender though get caught between your teeth, and even if you are careful to prevent yourself from staining a white shirt, you will still wind up with purple fingers.)

[quote name='giant shrimp' date='Jun 7 2006, 11:11 AM' post='40157

(appetizer: walking home via tenleytown i came across some mulberry trees. until reading a couple of posts by zora margolis, whose knowledge of foraging from local parklands is formidable, i have all my life thought these were best left for the birds. the berries from a low-hanging limb were ripe and extremely sweet to the point of tasting flat, though some still retained their tartness. the seeds are quite tender though get caught between your teeth, and even if you are careful to prevent yourself from staining a white shirt, you will still wind up with purple fingers.)

I never remember to take plastic gloves with me to the park, so I am still trying to scrub under my nails to remove the blackish-purple residue from mulberry picking. Small price to pay, though. When I see those fat, shiny, luscious berries hanging there, I am unable to stop myself from picking as many as I can. It's a true addiction, I'm afraid.

Whenever I make things with lots of seed-y berries like mulberries, blackberries, etc, like coulis or sorbet or preserves, I puree them and strain out as many seeds as I can, which are a real nuisance to eat. And mulberries don't seem to have a whole lot of flavor raw. I find that, similar to blackberries and black raspberries, they have much more depth of flavor when they are cooked. You might try throwing a few mulberries into some pancake batter if you don't want to get into a big project involving pureeing and straining. The griddle cooks the berries and improves the flavor, and there aren't enough seeds to be a problem.

Oh, and almost all ripe berries require a bit of lemon juice for balance, if they are very sweet.

Might I suggest a little downconverting too? Those photos would render fine and be considerably more pleasant to download at half the dimensions and one-tenth the filesize.

Is this a photo lesson?

More like netiquette; neither storage nor bandwidth are free, and a little consideration makes for a better experience for your fellow netizens. Please PM responses if any directly to me, as this is off-track from dinner.

Did you think to PM before posting this? You got this off subject not me. There are so many " Know it alls" on this board!

Did you think to PM before posting this? You got this off subject not me. There are so many " Know it alls" on this board!

I think his note was also to inform, and heaven forbid, teach others how to be a little more polite on the net.

Have a glass of wine and relax. :unsure:

Dinner for visiting cousins from Canada, who love Mexican food:

Guacamole and chips

Jicama sprinkled with lime juice and ancho chile powder

Pico de gallo

Watermelon-papaya gazpacho demitasse

Chiles rellenos stuffed with crabmeat with mole verde and crema Mexicana

2005 Turkey Flat Rosé

Barbacoa de Cabrito-- boneless shoulder of young goat, marinated in citrus-chile adobo, wrapped with avocado leaves in banana leaf, and steamed for three hours

Frijoles refritos

Saffron rice

Homemade tortillas

2004 Tait, the Ballbuster (75% shiraz, balance cabernet and merlot)

Key lime pie

2004 Peller Estates Vidal Ice Wine (gift from the Canadian cousins--wow, was this delicious!)

Slightly off topic--Does anyone have the current issue of Saveur? (I left my issue on the plane. :unsure: ) There is a chicken dish, resting on (I think) a bed of fried onions or shallots. I want to say it was some sort of Asian recipe. Can someone tell me the name of the dish? I can then research it on Saveur's web site.

Slightly off topic--Does anyone have the current issue of Saveur? (I left my issue on the plane. :unsure: ) There is a chicken dish, resting on (I think) a bed of fried onions or shallots. I want to say it was some sort of Asian recipe. Can someone tell me the name of the dish? I can then research it on Saveur's web site.

Is it perhaps Sali Chicken (chicken stew with potato sticks, on page 18)? It seems to be the only chicken dish photographed with the chicken sitting on a bed of something. And it does have ginger and garam masala in the recipe.

While I'm here-- we are having a forager's meal tonight, from my gleanings in Battery Kemble Park yesterday:

Cream of oyster mushroom and lamb's quarters soup

Queen Anne cherry clafouti--

I found a tree, which appears to be a volunteer of many years' growth, absolutely LOADED with ripe cherries. OMG, I went berserk. My husband had to drag me away, or I would still be there picking...

Cheese, Pate, Olives, spanish Chickpea salad

Seared Scallops with Lemon Butter

Lamb shank Tagine, Farro, Dried Fruits

Belgian Endive Parfait, Candied Orange, White Chocolate-Cayenne Sauce

We was hungry!

(Thanks to Mr Tweaked for provisions, wine and excellent seafood cooking).

A tomato trifle of sorts - fresh cluster tomatoes from Toigo at Del Ray Farmers Market, layered with fresh Burrata from Cheestique, garnished with chiffonnade of basil, salt, fresh ground pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. The juicy goo left in the bowl was sopped up with some Italian bread from Caboose Bakery. Yum!

Went to both Lidia and Mario for dinner tonight. Her pasta with broccoli rabe, anchovy, red pepper flakes and plenty of garlic was amazing-- especially since we couldn't find rabe at Eastern Market and substituted some greens from the Greens Lady. Mario contributed with his saltimbocca Roman style. I made it look just like the picture in the cookbook. :unsure:

Baguette with Chateau d'Estoublon olive oil (a gift from a friend who was recently in Provence) and nicoise olives

Snap peas with mint

Cranberry-walnut couscous

Salmon with mint, cilantro and basil

White peaches and raspberries over vanilla yogurt

To drink, a 1998 Sybille Kuntz Riesling.

Yum! I love summer at the Dupont market!

Old Pals -- equal parts bourbon (or in this instance of tribute, Early Times), Campari, and dry vermouth, up with an orange wheel

Grilled flank steak

Steamed green beans tossed with sea salt and white pepper

Roasted red potatoes coated with EVOO, garlic, rosemary, and sea salt

Cheeses and bread from Cowgirl. Then cooked up some linguine and shrimp with an improvised sauce of garlic, leek, fresh tomatoes, EVOO and a little white wine. Pan fried a soft shell crab to have on the side. Talked my wife into eating 1/2 of one small crispy leg joint-- baby steps, baby steps... :unsure:

Pizza tonight. I'm trying the cold ferment method on my dough and I'll be cooking on a pizza stone on my grill.

I know I shouldn't be trying two new things at once, but that's just the kind of crazed rebel cook I am.

The various pies are:

1) A pizza version of my flank steak with blistered serranos and tequila-lime sauce tacos (plus homemade guac!)

2) Pizza margherita w/ buffalo mozz from Cheesetique

3) The requisite plain cheese

4) Italian sausage & ricotta with sundried tomato pesto in place of tomato sauce

5) A veggie lovers with red and yellow peppers, carmelized onions, spinach, some kind of mushroom, and (if my annoyingly picky guests will allow me) goat cheese*

6) Spicy vodka-tomato cream sauce with shrimp and sausage

*Seriously, one guest always told me they hated goat cheese because it tastes like plastic. So to teach them a lesson, I made them eat my remote laser surface thermometer. Now they just say EVERYTHING tastes like plastic. True story.

I love this time of year!!!!! A vegetable dinner with my bounty from two days of market shopping.....

Salsa and chips to munch on while I prepared the rest of dinner

Fava puree with truffle salt, ev olive oil and parmesean

Roasted squash blossom that were still attached to their baby squash, stuffed with a goat cheese, fava bean,

herbs and truffle salt and topped with parmesean cheese

Blueberries and raspberries on top of a snickerdoodle cookie and topped with whipped cream.

Pomegranate Izze

All of the veggies and fruit used for dinner came from New Morning Farm, the Mt. Pleasant Market or Dupont Market.

Made pork vindaloo from The Best Recipes in the World last night. Delicious? Yes. Vindaloo? Not like any I've ever had. Sauce, even after reducing by half, was still much thinner and subtly flavored than expected. Maybe it needed some ghee.

I love this time of year!!!!! A vegetable dinner with my bounty from two days of market shopping.....

Roasted squash blossom that were still attached to their baby squash, stuffed with a goat cheese, fava bean,

herbs and truffle salt and topped with parmesean cheese

All of the veggies and fruit used for dinner came from New Morning Farm, the Mt. Pleasant Market or Dupont Market.

Source of these squash blossoms? Mt. Pleasant? Sounds fabulous!

I am not sure I have ever seen them sold this way in D.C. before.