Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

I cooked dinner at my parents' house after a trip to the Santa Monica farmers' market--four blocks worth of goodies. I'm bringing avocados and unwaxed, organic Meyer lemons home in my suitcase.

Mesclun salad with golden beets, field-grown tomatoes and chevre

Vegetable flan with chard, baby leeks and shiitake mushrooms

Peruvian purple new potatoes (the size of marbles)

Fava beans

Slow-roasted wild king salmon (from Whole Foods)

Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigar Rose

Last night we had meatless tacos with Boca "ground burger," chili-powdered onions, and oven-roasted green garlic. One of the quick standby weeknight menus, except for the green garlic, which I got from the online farmer's market last week and just could not decide what to do with. It gave a nice crunchiness to the tacos, another texture dimension.

Last night, Thai-style Chicken Salad from the latest Cook's Illustrated magazine. Tasty, but the dressing was unbalanced and the volume of it overwhelming for the chicken and vegetables.

As with so many of their recipes this will need intensive tweaking if made again - one reason why this is our last issue. They need different palates in their recipe development department. <_<

As with so many of their recipes this will need intensive tweaking if made again - one reason why this is our last issue.  They need different palates in their recipe development department.  <_<

I have chosen not to renew, also. I have gotten a few useful hints from them over the years, but not enough to justify the expense anymore. Their recipes are too bland and too fussy--I could usually tell just by reading them.

Tonight I'm going to make a warm chicken liver salad and Mollie Katzen's recipe for Chilaquile Casserole. The casserole is an old easy favorite. It's in her Still Life with Menu book, but I first found it in a magazine. I haven't tried making the salad before but I was thinking of one they have at Montmarte and trying to work with my memory of that and what I can find on the web.

Ribeye with bourbon cream sauce

Macaroni and cheese (Joy of Cooking recipe)

Peas (because I forgot to buy any other veg)

The bourbon cream sauce didn't thicken enough, and I didn't like the flavor as much as one I tried a few weeks ago so the meal ended up being a bit lighter than it sounds.

I have chosen not to renew, also. I have gotten a few useful hints from them over the years, but not enough to justify the expense anymore. Their recipes are too bland and too fussy--I could usually tell just by reading them.

Bland and fussy - that's exactly right, Zora.

Last night's in-a-rush dinner (after picking up Scott and the kids at Dulles) was impeccably fresh greens and cucumbers from the Dupont farmer's market, with a dijon-dill vinaigrette. And a pizza from Giuseppe's. <_<

Last night's in-a-rush dinner (after picking up Scott and the kids at Dulles) was impeccably fresh greens and cucumbers from the Dupont farmer's market, with a dijon-dill vinaigrette.  And a pizza from Giuseppe's.  <_<

Karly and I got picked up at Dulles last night, too. Only no one prepared an impeccably fresh-from-the-market salad for us. We stopped at Moby Dick in McLean and had lamb kabobs, which weren't bad.

Tonight is dirty ol' stinky cheese night. I take all those chunks of cheeses that are starting to mold, scrape and grate'em, and make my own version of Macaroni and cheese. Tonights has gruyere, comte, beaufort, a hard spanish goat cheese, even some eppoise, all mixed with heavy cram and butter and baked.

The last of my homemade Italian sausage, served on hard rolls with sauce.  A bottle of some best forgotten Italian red wine.  Too bad the NCAA championship game was over before it began.

Yesterday I finished the last of my homemade bratwurst. No wonder we're making sausage for the picnic. Time to stuff the donuts.

Tonight I had rockfish. In a lemon, caper, butter sauce. With couscous. White wine. ;)

And these god damned allergies. <_<

I made the Pot Roast With Rhubarb and Honey from All About Braising. I certainly never would have cooked rhubarb with beef if left to my own devices, but it was really quite delicious. Allspice and coriander rub on the beef, sauce of rhubarb, honey, raisins, ginger, bay, onion, and orange peel. Three hours in the oven. Plenty of leftovers, but that was an effort of will.

I made the Pot Roast With Rhubarb and Honey from All About Braising. I certainly never would have cooked rhubarb with beef if left to my own devices, but it was really quite delicious. Allspice and coriander rub on the beef, sauce of rhubarb, honey, raisins, ginger, bay, onion, and orange peel. Three hours in the oven. Plenty of leftovers, but that was an effort of will.

Did the ratio of rhubarb:honey make this a sweet and sour dish? The spices make it sound sauerbraten-ish.

Last night we had charcoal-grilled Alaskan halibut, oven roasted fennel and carrots, pan fried new potatoes with a spice crust of smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, thyme, salt. Dessert was strawberry biscuits with strawberry-lavender coulis. Drank a fabulous bargain from Austria--2004 Glatzer Gruner Veltliner. On sale at MacArthur for $7.49. It had that wonderful crisp Gruner minerality with a core of fruit hinting of apricot. Delicious. Gotta get some more.

edited to add: the wine has been re-priced at $9.99. I got the last few bottles with the $7.49 price tags. <_<

Did the ratio of rhubarb:honey make this a sweet and sour dish? The spices make it sound sauerbraten-ish.

Actually it was mostly sour and very little sweet. Pound of rhubarb, tablespoon of honey.

Those spice-crusted potatoes sound fantastic.

Frozen spaghetti microwaved for two minutes with fresh "pak" Kosher pickles from a jar, low (er) calorie margarine and Diet Coke.

Someone has to pay the price....

Oh, and a bottle of '97 Castilla di Ama Chianti. Spaghetti tasted pretty damned good with this, too! I have my priorities....

El Patio, Rockville: chicken empanada, chorizo y morcilla, pizzetta, alfajores and espresso. The morcilla was delicious - fatty and rich, and about the size of a bratwurst. The pizzetta was just a tad underbaked however. Can't recommend the espresso either; not much crema, and too thin. Two-thirds of the dessert list is laden with dulce de leche, so bring your insulin <_<

Charcoal grilled, spice-rubbed chicken wings

Crusty mac and cheese--clean out the cheese drawer, grate and add to sauce soubise (bechamel with onion)--great idea, Raisa! Let's see, there was Comte, aged gouda, goat gouda, Manchego, Reggiano. All good.

Braised red chard with hot sauce

Grilled fresh pineapple with rum cream

NV Dover Canyon Paso Robles Renegade Red

Green lentil salad with crushed mustard seeds

Stir-fried geen beans with coconut

Dal with ginger, green chiles

Somosas (made with empanada disks and puff pastry) stuffed with a spiced potato & pea mixture

Basmati rice seasoned with cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves and cardamom

(I used a whole lot of mustard seeds this night.)

Stuffed pork chop with Calvados cream sauce, roasted fingerling sweet potatoes, and braised baby Bok Choy.

Pork chop was stuffed with a mixture of diced apples (Neglected to note the type...was the 'very firm/very sweet' variety I had never heard of at one of the stalls at Dupont F.M.), thyme, cornbread crumbs, calvados, and heavy cream.

Bok Choy was done in a Ming Tsai-recipe based sauce with chicken stock, garlic, and dark soy sauce. Little overdone (sigh, alright a lot overdone...I've never cooked veg this way before and the 20 minutes quoted in the recipe were too much. Being baby and all they were probably done just after the saute step. Really should have thought of that...), as embarassingly evident in the picture :hide:

Fingerling sweet potatoes were dusted with cardamom and nutmeg and roasted in butter and oil. Got a little toasty but the potatoes were of delicious and noble birth. Have to think of something neat to do with the few unused.

Garnish is slices of the apple caremelized in sugar, cardamom, nutmeg, and ancho chile powder. Wine was Domaine de Pouy Cotes de Gascogne from Robert Kacher.

Here is a reasonable facimilie of what it looked like, courtesy of my laughably inadequate camera.

stuffedporkchopcalvadoscreamsa.jpg

ETA: Seriously, that is the worst picture of food ever. Why do I even bother. Maybe the film verision will be better in three years when I finish the roll then develop it. <_<

Punjabi-Style Cauliflower and Potatoes with Ginger (aka Aloo Gobi)*

Basmati rice seasoned with cloves, bay leaves, cardamom and cinnamon

Salad with ginger-shallot vinaigrette

KitKat for dessert

*from Madhur Jaffrery's World Vegetarian cookbook

Fava bean crostini with EVOO, reggiano, fleur de sel and Serrano ham

2005 Yalumba Sangiovese Rose

Charcoal grilled tri-tip

Braised kale

Steamed new potatoes

2003 Capcanes Mas Donis

here did you find tri tip?

where did you find tri tip?

They were the last of the Sunnyside Organics Virginia Kobe beef that I bought In January and put in my freezer. But you can get a tri-tip from The Organic Butcher of McLean. You should call first to make sure he has some. 703-790-8300. You've lived in California, I presume.

Don't look on it as lack of ideas, look on it as simple things done well. :angry:

Most of my menu was specifically requested, so we had brown sugar ham, new potatoes, buttered carrots, and fresh peas, along with a bottle of 2000 Bastianich Vespa Bianco. Later, there will be lemon meringue pie. Life sucks. :)

Last night's "seder" for the non-Jews (+1 MOT who decided Passover wasn't going to be celebrated this year) included:

Salad with red wine vinaigrette

Matzo ball soup (best batch ever made on my stove)

Matzo lasagna (even with 3 pounds of beef, there isn't enough left to really consider it leftovers)

Roasted asparagus

Homemade Passover Chocolate Mousse Cake with fresh raspberries (absolutely incredible)

Wines were a melange of Gamla Cabernet Sauvignon, Baron Herzog Chenin Blanc, Muratie Shiraz, a Zinfandel and a Pinot which I wasn't drinking so missed the labels, and a bottle of Korbel from the 2005 inauguration (brought over from my one favored Republican friend).

All in all a rousing success - I'm still tackling dishes!

Pappardelle with Pancetta, Asparagus and Pine Nuts -- the Apr 06 Bon Appetit cover recipe.

sdinner2te.jpg*

Has anyone else tried this recipe? Did I miss a step or two? First you brown garlic in 2 TBS of oil, then you saute pancetta, which releases a lot of oil. Then you add 1 cup of water?! I drained most of the oil 'cause I don't enjoy third-degree burns. Second, after you saute the rabe/asparagus you add pasta cooking water? Since the pan is covered, isn't there already enough water leftover from steaming the rabe. Third, you add more oil (2 TBS) to the finished product? Isn't there enough oil in this thing? What did I miss?

(* Okay, the image is small; at least it's not blurry. :) )

Pappardelle with Pancetta, Asparagus and Pine Nuts -- the Apr 06 Bon Appetit cover recipe.

Has anyone else tried this recipe?

I really enjoyed it! I cut back the oil a bit at the start, and didn't put any additional oil on at the end. I think most of the water evaporated for me in cooking the broccoli rabe, etc. so it didn't seem too soupy. If you liked the overall flavor combo, maybe try again w/ less oil and water?

I really enjoyed it!  I cut back the oil a bit at the start, and didn't put any additional oil on at the end.  I think most of the water evaporated for me in cooking the broccoli rabe, etc. so it didn't seem too soupy.  If you liked the overall flavor combo, maybe try again w/ less oil and water?

I too liked it. And I did cut back on the oil and water. It seems that the recipe raised red flags for you as well. But I just couldn't get over adding 1C of water to 2+ TBS of oil. I felt that I made too many alterations to the original recipe. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Homemade orrichiete pasta with green garlic, leeks, dandelion greens, porcini powder and cannelini beans (a la Mario Batali)

La Tur with figs and Medjool dates

2003 Burson Ravenna Rosso, a "tooth-stainer" purchased at Wine Expo in Santa Monica (Roberto Rogness' store, for anyone who reads Mark Squires' Wine Board).

The pasta was a little bit heavy, but the sauce was really good--hard to believe there was no meat or chicken stock in it.

bread pudding with asparagus, morels and fontina, from deborah madison, from her farmer's market book.

this is a rich, hearty dish and it shows off the asparagus well, better than the morels, which are almost wasted given their expense. also, it takes some experience to get the milk to bread ratio exactly where it should be. however, there are several possible detours from the main recipe. chopped mushrooms are sauteed with shallots in butter, and these could work tossed with the cooked asparagus and pasta. green garlic is steeped in the milk for the pudding, and you could use it to poach some chicken; i am also thinking of playing around with it to cook some arborio rice. actually, green garlic is the ingredient that led me to this recipe. i am planning on fixing the offshoots next week, unless something unexpectedly exciting arises at the market on sunday, which warms up slowly this time of year.

Pasta shells with roasted shallots and asparagus tossed with a creamy Bleu d'Auvergne*

KitKat wafer bar

*The blue was full-bodied, salty, and slightly tangy. One of those stand-over-the-kitchen-sink-eating-with-a-knife type cheeses. It's a shame when your recent orgasmic experiences are all food induced.

:) TMI

What?! You've never had a meal that makes you weak in the knees?! Some food item that you would cut into with a rusty knife 'cause it rocks your world?! A food experience that makes you cry out "Oh My God"?! A morsel of food that sends shivers up and down your spine?! The anticipation of a taste of something that makes your whole body quiver?!

Oh puh-leeze!

What?! You've never had a meal that makes you weak in the knees?!  Some food item that you would cut into with a rusty knife 'cause it rocks your world?!  A food experience that makes you cry out "Oh My God"?! A morsel of food that sends shivers up and down your spine?!  The anticipation of a taste of something that makes your whole body quiver?!

Oh puh-leeze!

According to Ruth Reichl: "Food is the new sex." Or, find my thread: "Food is what sex used to be". :)

For dinner tonight, paella (made for the 1st time)--salt cod, raisins, and spincach.

Steamed asparagus w/citrus vinaigrette

chocolate goat cheese (yum--if you haven't tried you really should)

Jennifer L.