Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Chicken and biscuits (Bittman buttermilk biscuit recipe - the only recipe of his that has never failed me. ALWAYS perfect.). Also, salad. I like that chicken recipe, but if you use boneless skinless thighs, be careful how you cut them or you end up with chicken fingers, rather than outlets.

Later, lemon poppy seed bundt cake - came home with 2 slices from a dinner and games night at a friend's place the other day. It was good.

Friday - chicken terriyaki uses Morimoto's Japanese at Home recipe. Turned out great again. With the right ingredients and 15 minutes you can have wonderful, flavorful teriyaki sauce. Also, the leftover teriyaki sauce is great to turn into spicy suteki-don (add butter and Japanese thick chili sauce with steak).

Saturday - Chiko RW delivery - will review in the Chiko threat. really good.

Sunday - lentil vegetable soup with parmesan cheese.

• Like 2

Tonight was chicken thighs, Korean flavors in the sauce but not really what I was expecting. Didn't have any rice so hubby made himself tacos and I made a salad.  Tasted pretty good that way. I made myself a drink, seltzer w/ espresso whiskey and a dash of bitters.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Katya4me said:

Tonight was chicken thighs, Korean flavors in the sauce but not really what I was expecting. Didn't have any rice so hubby made himself tacos and I made a salad.  Tasted pretty good that way. I made myself a drink, seltzer w/ espresso whiskey and a dash of bitters.  

What kind of bitters?

Inquiring pines want to know...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KMango said:

What kind of bitters?

Inquiring pines want to know...

""Lindsay" bitters (pecan-magnolia-habanero) — Crude Bitters and Sodas" https://www.crudebitters.com/shop/crude-lindsay

Bought a few years ago and while I enjoy them, I'll also forget to use them in drinks.

Similar situation, I like this one in gin cocktails: "Cucumber Lavender Bitters – El Guapo Bitters" https://www.elguapobitters.com/collections/bitters/products/cucumber-lavender-bitters

• Like 1

We ordered Sababa takeout on Saturday night and used the leftovers and some fresh cooked items for Monday dinner, plus all the leftover sauces.

rice pilaf with dill and mint (fresh)

roasted veg kabobs (fresh)

leftover chunk of salmon kabob

leftover couple pieces of haloumi

leftover chunk of roasted eggplant

good way to strecth out leftovers and the leftover leftovers will be today's lunch.  

• Like 5

Tonight was pork chops (modified - no plain apple cider here. Only apple-cherry.) Also duchess potatoes out of the freezer (from Christmas). Also, salad. I was at yoga, so I set up the dinner and the boy cooked. He said it was easy. We agree that it was quite tasty, and the recipe is a keeper.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dracisk said:

Oh my. I needed to use up garden jalapeños last summer and thought about making jalapeño cornbread of some variety but never got around to it. I'm saving this cornbread recipe!

I had a bunch of garden peppers at the end of the season too - we grilled them, peeled them, and froze them. Roasted peppers of various varieties ready to go!

• Like 1

Dinner last night was baked salmon over white rice: https://cafedelites.com/firecracker-salmon-recipe/#recipe  

I defrosted the salmon late, so it only marinated for a little over an hour.  But I took the marinade and simmered it while the salmon baked and used that as a sauce over the rice, which I enjoyed.  I had a bit left of the Chinese broccoli, so sautéed that and finished it off. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, saf said:

I had a bunch of garden peppers at the end of the season too - we grilled them, peeled them, and froze them. Roasted peppers of various varieties ready to go!

Had I been more organized/motivated I would have done the same. Unfortunately a bunch of our jalapenos went bad in our crisper.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:07 PM, dracisk said:

Had I been more organized/motivated I would have done the same. Unfortunately a bunch of our jalapenos went bad in our crisper.

I have the advantage - the boy LOVES to grill. The pepper plants are right next to where he grills. It was coming down to the get them off the plant or let them rot point, and he was trying to fit in a little more grilling for the season. So he picked the peppers, charred them, and then handed me a giant bowl of charred peppers to deal with. Thanks, I guess?

But I am appreciating have roasted chopped peppers in the freezer now!

• Like 1

My husband also loves to grill. I'll have to remember this at the end of next summer. We could just toss some on while he's already grilling something else!

One year we charred a bunch and infused tequila with them, but it came out VERY spicy. My husband isn't that into following recipes. 😆

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dracisk said:

My husband also loves to grill. I'll have to remember this at the end of next summer. We could just toss some on while he's already grilling something else!

One year we charred a bunch and infused tequila with them, but it came out VERY spicy. My husband isn't that into following recipes. 😆

That's what we do - grill them while he is grilling something else. I always plan chilis rellenos for a week when he is grilling, because I will not char peppers on the stove/in the oven.

Mine is an engineer. Procedures are very important.

• Like 1

Last night was pizza w/ the last of the sort of Korean flavored chicken and some sautéed mushrooms.  We did our normal triple batch of dough, so will be having more pizza later this week.  I made some infused simple syrups earlier in the day, so I used an herb & pink peppercorn one in this drink: https://nerdswithknives.com/thai-basil-gimlet/  We did 2 batches of that, and the 2nd time we added seltzer and my husband preferred it that way, so I'll try more variations in the future.

• Like 1

I made a one pan meal last night of chicken tenders and cubed potatoes on a bed of spinach, topped with a mixture of chopped cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil and Italian seasonings. I added a little chicken stock to the bottom of the pan, but I probably put too much because it came out kind of soupy. Delicious, nevertheless. 

• Like 4

On 1/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, curls said:

@PatInstantPot Korean chicken wings sound good. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

While I can't right now, I'm hoping I can in the future.

I've been remiss keeping up with menus and this thread again. I've been mixing up foods from the freezer (e.g., chicken and noodles in peanut sauce; yogurt-marinated chicken thighs) and new dishes, plus their leftovers in various forms.

The nacho cheese sauce got reused just plain with chips but also in a mac and cheese with broccoli. The pork shoulder and gravy turned into a pork and black bean chili and also couple of meals of pork and gravy over mashed potatoes. The gravy itself (which had homemade chicken stock in its base) got reused in other places and the last of it went into the freezer because it was too good to waste.

Of new things, this apricot chicken I had not made in a long time and forgot how good it was (scaled back the ingredients). I served it with roasted mushroom risotto and roasted golden beets. (Leftover risotto made wonderful air fryer arancini, alongside Rao's arrabiata sauce for dipping.)

Honey-Glazed Mushrooms With Udon from the NYT was excellent. I served it with leftover from the freezer French Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese and Walnuts (in pita) from David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen. It froze pretty well, but I boosted it with extra dressing and nuts and cheese to refresh.

On Friday I made turkey meatloaf with shiitake mushroom sauce [Cava harissa in the meatloaf with oyster cracker crumbs, egg, thyme, salt, and pepper; gochujang spread on top partway through cooking when the top looked dry; thyme, garlic  salt, pepper, and cornstarch slurry with chicken stock* and additional water for the sauce; about 6 - 8 oz. mushrooms]. Served with baby red potatoes, carrots, and peas with butter, s+p.

Saturday was arancini plus Roasted Eggplant and Lentil Soup from Food & Wine. I used full fat milk that was souring instead of 1% milk + lemon. Yesterday was leftovers of that soup, the apricot chicken, and the roasted red potatoes, plus new roasted mustard Parmesan cauliflower. I love that cauliflower recipe (from Food Network).

Tonight we should finish the eggplant soup, turkey meatloaf and arancini. I'm also planning to roast a small acorn squash, utilizing the sage breadcrumbs I made out of excess from the eggplant soup recipe, plus walnuts and feta.

*I have been making a lot of InstantPot chicken stock using chicken necks from South Mountain Creamery deliveries. Wish I had realized what a great trick that was before now.

• Like 4

Yesterday:
Radicchio, Belgian endive, carrots, scallions, walnuts, and hard-boiled egg; vinaigrette
Penne with marinara sauce and mozzarella
Leftover roasted cauliflower

Tonight:
Leftover salad + red leaf lettuce, white radishes, and Craisins
While wheat pita and hummus
Leftover turkey meatloaf
Steamed broccoli
Baked potatoes with broccoli, cheese, bacon, sour cream, and jalapeños

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Pat said:

Yesterday:
Radicchio, Belgian endive, carrots, scallions, walnuts, and hard-boiled egg; vinaigrette

Tonight:
Leftover salad + red leaf lettuce, white radishes, and Craisins

Your salads always sound so good, yet somehow I never get that ambitious. Our standard is: 

• some sort of lettuce (There's a stand at the Mt Pleasant farm market that has lettuce almost all year round! GOOD lettuce!)
  • Cheese (often blue crumbles from South Mountain, other times grated leftover cheese.)
  • Nuts (often pistachios)
  • Fruit (Fresh or dried, depends on season, currently pomegranate.)
  • Thinly sliced red oinon
  • Thinly sliced carrots
  • He adds more things to his - olives, and sometimes radish slices, sometimes salad turnip slices, and sometimes cherry tomatoes.
  • Dressing - generally house-made.

Tonight was salad, then rolls (leftover from Saturday), and rum and chili chicken. Chicken slightly modified, as we had boneless skinless thighs rather then regular thighs. Also used roasted chili from the freezer rather than fresh. Quite tasty. (I love pineapple.) Later, ice cream. (Got some South Mountain ice cream this week.)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, saf said:

Your salads always sound so good, yet somehow I never get that ambitious.

My standard is Costco greens and homemade salad dressing, so I think you're doing pretty well. 😆

We also got South Mountain Creamery ice cream in our delivery this week. It's SO good!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:51 PM, Pat said:

Of new things, this apricot chicken I had not made in a long time and forgot how good it was (scaled back the ingredients). I served it with roasted mushroom risotto and roasted golden beets. (Leftover risotto made wonderful air fryer arancini, alongside Rao's arrabiata sauce for dipping.)

Thanks for the recommendation!  I made the apricot chicken for lunch yesterday with some quinoa and roasted carrots and it was easy and delicious.  I made with breasts instead of thighs at a slightly reduced cook time - my only issue was the thighs would've been a more appropriate lunch size, but... leftovers!

• Like 1

Sunday night, we had some leftover rotisserie chicken from the enchilada recipe, so we made dinner salads.  Romaine, cucumbers, radish, carrots and Manchego cheese.  I sprinkled pepitas on mine for a bit of crunch and as a side, we had some of the leftover queso w/ tortilla chips. 

And then the next day, I had dental surgery, so applesauce has been my friend.  

• Like 1

Last night was misir wot. Stirred in some chopped roasted chicken (working down that freezer!). Got very nice injera at Black Lion Market on 14th Street. Also, salad. It was delicious - we finished it all.

(So I had to use the leftover injera to make injera rolls for lunch with some lentil soup that had thickened to lentil paste in the fridge. Also tasty.)

• Like 2

Salad, followed by "Middle Eastern Saucy Chicken." I will not make this again. The chicken got a bit dry - that may have been me - and the sauce was just a touch too vinegary. Also the last of the duchess potatoes from the freezer. (I note, I am rarely happy with recipes that use boneless skinless breasts. I should learn.)

Later, the end of the Valentine cookies with some South Mountain ice cream.

I got my stitches out yesterday and my mouth is starting to get back to normal.  Tonight was pork and cucumber stir fry over daikon noodles: https://www.seriouseats.com/stir-fried-cucumber-spicy-ground-pork-easy-dinner-recipe

I added a bit of ginger to the sauce and thought it was pretty good. 

On 2/16/2022 at 8:52 PM, saf said:

Salad, followed by "Middle Eastern Saucy Chicken." I will not make this again. The chicken got a bit dry - that may have been me - and the sauce was just a touch too vinegary. Also the last of the duchess potatoes from the freezer. (I note, I am rarely happy with recipes that use boneless skinless breasts. I should learn.)

Later, the end of the Valentine cookies with some South Mountain ice cream.

I have to admit that we do use boneless skinless chicken in a few recipes, I do prefer thighs if I have a choice. One recipe that they do work well in is this ramen recipe: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/20-minute-thai-peanut-chicken-ramen/

• Like 1

No worries and agreed.

We were running errands this afternoon, so dinner was out tonight.  Crab and shrimp po boys w/ fries for both of us from Skrimp Shack and then frozen custard from Campbells Custard for dessert.  I had mint chocolate chip and he had butter pecan. 

On 2/2/2022 at 8:33 PM, saf said:

Your salads always sound so good, yet somehow I never get that ambitious. Our standard is: 

• some sort of lettuce (There's a stand at the Mt Pleasant farm market that has lettuce almost all year round! GOOD lettuce!)
  • Cheese (often blue crumbles from South Mountain, other times grated leftover cheese.)
  • Nuts (often pistachios)
  • Fruit (Fresh or dried, depends on season, currently pomegranate.)
  • Thinly sliced red oinon
  • Thinly sliced carrots
  • He adds more things to his - olives, and sometimes radish slices, sometimes salad turnip slices, and sometimes cherry tomatoes.
  • Dressing - generally house-made.

I'm way behind again! Your salads really don't sound that much different from ours. I've been slacking on making my own dressing, though I still do sometimes.

Highlights: I've made a couple of Moosewood recipes: Bulgarian Pepper and Cheese Delight, which actually features quite a  bit of bulgur and was decent; and, Broccoli Mushroom Noodle Casserole, which I liked more. I forgot how much cheese these Moosewood recipes use (a lot) and how large the portions are (very).

I had a large pork tenderloin and split it more or less in half to make Bami Goreng (from Valerie Bertinelli's Enough Already, a recipe from Eddie Van Halen's mother) and a concoction of my own:  cubed pork tenderloin dredged in flour, seared in butter, and braised in apple cider; plus drained pineapple chunks; served with basmati rice, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and and green bell peppers.

Having not made any in a long time, I made beef stew and it came out really well. It featured potatoes, sunchokes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sunchokes are great in beef stew. I also made some mashed sunchokes, referring to a Martha Stewart recipe but using chicken stock instead of milk.

The day before Valentine's Day (oh, Super Bowl Sunday!) we had a meal heavy on foods from Neighborhood Restaurant Group:
Shrimp Cocktail with baby arugula
Pigs in Blankets with mustard
Iron Gate Meatballs + extra homemade tomato sauce
Asparagus prosciutto bundles
Air Fryer Buffalo chicken thighs

V-Day we got from Rose's and drank a Minervois from DCanter:
Frisee salad with lardons and bacon fat vinaigrette
French onion soup with cheesy croutons
Coq au vin with red wine sauce, carrots, noodles, and herbed bread crumbs
Cheese plate: La Tur, Manchego, clothbound cheddar spread, grapes, focaccia, orange preserves

There was chocolate mousse for dessert, but we ate that on subsequent days.

More recently we've been working through Salmon with Dijon, mayo, thyme, toasted bread crumb, and lemon juice topping, baked over sweet onions. It made a great salmon spread over onion bagel and also wonderful croquettes. Also has been used to top salad. (Costco piece, very large.)

Tonight the plans are for
Crostini (with white bean and/or tomato)
Tortellini in Brodo
Spaghetti with leftover Iron Gate meatballs and sauce

• Like 4

Dinner tonight was pretty simple. I still have frozen a large batch of onion masala, in 1/4 cup balls. I had a bag of mixed seafood, 4 balls and a can of coconut milk, which I simmered on the stove.  I added a can of fire roasted tomatoes and had it over basmati rice.  

• Like 2

Update on Sunday: The crostini were white bean, from this recipe, except I topped them with thin slices of Gouda. Excellent. I also roasted some aged broccoli that was yellowing. I don't usually like roasted broccoli because I like it fresh and bright green, but when it's already headed south, roasting salvages it. Roasted it with avocado oil, s + p, garlic salt, nutritional yeast, and crushed red pepper flakes. Very good.

Monday was more of the crostini, a reverse sear prime strip steak, and leftover egg noodles. I guess I forgot to mention the other reverse sear steak, which was served over the original batch of noodles that were mixed with sauteed cremini mushrooms, and with brussels spouts mixed with crumbled bacon.

Tonight is toasted baguette; salad with red leaf lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and red onion; and salmon chowder.

• Like 3

Food this week has been a mixed bag of easy and actual cooking. Monday we had chicken with corn. Last bag of grilled and stored corn out of the freezer and into something tasty! Also, salad. We will do this again when we have corn again.

Last night was pizza. Schedule got insane, so rather than making dough, I grabbed a boboli and topped it with mozzarella, provolone, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Also, salad. Came out quite tasty. Always get the thin crust boboli. Was a good way to clean out the ends of stuff like cheese and caramelized onions.

Tonight will be a stir fry with chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, scallions. On rice noodles with hoisin-teriyaki sauce and chopped peanuts. Also, salad.

And after tonight I will be out of South Mountain ice cream! Sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saf said:

And after tonight I will be out of South Mountain ice cream! Sad

We've still got South Mountain ice cream from last year that we haven't even opened:rolleyes:. I think we got 4 pints and have eaten 1 of them. I love ice cream but when I eat it, I eat too much. It's not going to keep forever, so I guess we should eat it.

The salmon chowder from last night was great. I didn't measure exactly but mostly pretty much followed the recipe. Used whole milk instead of cream.